daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 17th, 2009, 06:17 PM   #141
ajw373

Likes (Received): 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by iampuking View Post
240m trains by the way. Longer than the comparable RER trains which are 200m I believe. They're also nearly twice as long as the longest LU trains with are 130m, and of course they will be significantly wider.

What worries me is that the trains will have only 2 doors per car, and a transverse seating layout to please the suburban whiners who insist on having seats for the entire journey at the expence of a high frequency inner city service...
I agree that 2 doors is probably not enough, maybe 3 would have been better. But as for the seating, you gotta remember that this is mainly designed to get the longer distance commuter into the West End and City without having to change to the tube at places like Paddington and Liverpool street. So the seating makes perfect sense.
ajw373 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 17th, 2009, 07:50 PM   #142
Winterstar

Likes (Received): 0

2 Doors?

I have to agree that having only two doors per carraige is a cause for concern.

As somebody who uses both the Underground and Overground in my commute, I much prefer using the Underground, for the simple reason that it's much quicker to get on and off the trains. I'd take more doors over more seating area anyday (though whether those who would be commuting from outside of London agree with me on this is another matter entirely!).

When the Overground stops at an interchange such as say Highbury and Islington, it takes a fair time to get off the thing if you're half way down the carriage, and then of course is the matter of those wanting to get on.

Running 24tph with two door carriages through central London interchanges... Those doors had better be wide! Hopefully the length of the trains will offset this somewhat.
Winterstar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2009, 09:05 PM   #143
sarflonlad

Likes (Received): 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterstar View Post

As somebody who uses both the Underground and Overground in my commute, I much prefer using the Underground, for the simple reason that it's much quicker to get on and off the trains. I'd take more doors over more seating area anyday (though whether those who would be commuting from outside of London agree with me on this is another matter entirely!).

When the Overground stops at an interchange such as say Highbury and Islington, it takes a fair time to get off the thing if you're half way down the carriage, and then of course is the matter of those wanting to get on.

Running 24tph with two door carriages through central London interchanges... Those doors had better be wide! Hopefully the length of the trains will offset this somewhat.
24tph is less than most peak tube lines. So there is plenty of dwell time to alight - however, I agree, 3 doors would be far superior.

We must bear in mind though, CR really is not designed for your average Londoner in zones 1-3. It's not a new tube line.
sarflonlad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2009, 10:42 PM   #144
Minato ku

Quote:
Originally Posted by iampuking View Post
240m trains by the way. Longer than the comparable RER trains which are 200m I believe. They're also nearly twice as long as the longest LU trains with are 130m, and of course they will be significantly wider.

What worries me is that the trains will have only 2 doors per car, and a transverse seating layout to please the suburban whiners who insist on having seats for the entire journey at the expence of a high frequency inner city service...
If we speak of comparable so I excluded SNCF RER (The RER D have 320m trains in rush hours).

MS61 (8 cars, four doors per car) = 220m
MI79/84 (9 cars, four doors per car) = 209m
MI2N (10 cars, three doors per car) ) = 225m

If we compare the number of doors
Crossrail train = 24 (240m)
MI2N = 30 (225m)
MI79/84 = 32 (209m)
MS61 = 36 (220m)
JR E231-500 = 48 (220m Yamanote line)

So excepted if the Crossrail trains have wider doors than the MI2N, I have some doubt about the capacity of 72,000 passengers per hours and even more with transversal seat.

MI2N doors
Old May 18th, 2009, 01:46 PM   #145
micro

Likes (Received): 106

For all the tourists, Crossrail should have a stop at Oxford Circus.
micro no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2009, 04:07 PM   #146
iampuking

Likes (Received): 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterstar View Post

The thing is, having two doors per car limits the frequency if it ever needs to be increased in the future, especially if the platform screen doors are going to be designed around the trains. What if 24tph and 240m is insufficient a decade or so after opening?

I also doubt that the trains will be packed until after Stratford, so people who are going to be on the trains the longest will probably get their seats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarflonlad
24tph is less than most peak tube lines. So there is plenty of dwell time to alight - however, I agree, 3 doors would be far superior.

We must bear in mind though, CR really is not designed for your average Londoner in zones 1-3. It's not a new tube line.
As i've said, the entire capacity is limited by the amount of trains that can get through the central section. So long dwell times in Zone 1 WILL adversely affect non London passengers.

Anyway I have a personal gripe about this. Why should non London passengers, who already have massive homes with tonnes of space, get all of the seats and leg room whilst the Londoners who get on later will have to squeeze in between a stupid transverse layout when Londoners will bear the brunt of the disruption caused by the construction of Crossrail? You could put up the argument that they're "managing our economy" but, oh, wait...

Quote:
Originally Posted by micro
Both the tube station and the circus themselves are too crowded as it is without massive Crossrail trains pouring their passengers into them...
iampuking no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2009, 04:52 PM   #147
Republica
BUND

Likes (Received): 3

Are you lot sure about the 2 door thing yet....?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NXEMU

They havent even decided who will make the trains.

All it says about the spec:

To this end the need for a new class of urban rolling stock has been created. The spec for the trains includes ATO (Automatic Train Operation) as well as ability to have 1,000 people at once board or alight the train with headways as low as 120 seconds. The units may be dual voltage (the Thameslink/First Capital Connect units will be dual voltage) and should be able to work with Platform Edge Doors (PEDs) just like on the recent Jubilee Line Extension.
Old May 18th, 2009, 05:35 PM   #148
iampuking

Most recent illustrations have shown 2 doors per car... There was a discussion about it in the Crossrail thread in the UK forums.
Old May 18th, 2009, 08:53 PM   #149
Minato ku

So the 2 doors per car claim is just based on the illustrations. I though that it was more serious.
Honestly the rolling stock that I saw in the illustrations were trains with ugly early 90's design. I doubt that the reality will be like that.

iampuking, don't worry too much
Old May 18th, 2009, 11:20 PM   #150
rheintram
yeah, whatever

Likes (Received): 924

Honestly, I don't understand why they always build platform doors these days. I understand the security concerns, but imo the disatvantages that come with it are much more severe.

Crossrail will be built according to heavy rail specifications with the larger continental European profile and overhead wiring. Which means it's compatible with a large number of existing railstock already available. What I'm saying is: If one day you discover that you want to bind trains trough from other tracks, or you wanna buy new rolling stock, you have more freedom, because you don't need to worry whether they would fit in with the platform doors.
rheintram no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2009, 12:35 AM   #151
Yardmaster
Registered Melbourne

Likes (Received): 198

Anyway, congratulations London. I've had images of this project in a folder for at least five years now. Good to see a bit of financial stimulus in the right place.
Yardmaster no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2009, 12:43 AM   #152
Republica
BUND

Maybe one day we could stick a tgv down there haha! The platforms are long enough.
Old May 19th, 2009, 12:44 AM   #153
gramercy
BANNED

Likes (Received): 799

this money should be spent on true HSR from glasgow to heathrow..
gramercy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2009, 12:45 AM   #154
sweek

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by micro View Post
It pretty much does. Due to the size of these stations, one exit of Bond Street station will be on Hanover Square,, which is just off Oxford Circus. They could've connected the stations but don't want to because Oxford Circus can't take the traffic.
sweek no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2009, 01:14 AM   #155
sarflonlad

Quote:
Originally Posted by rheintram View Post
Honestly, I don't understand why they always build platform doors these days. I understand the security concerns, but imo the disatvantages that come with it are much more severe.

Crossrail will be built according to heavy rail specifications with the larger continental European profile and overhead wiring. Which means it's compatible with a large number of existing railstock already available. What I'm saying is: If one day you discover that you want to bind trains trough from other tracks, or you wanna buy new rolling stock, you have more freedom, because you don't need to worry whether they would fit in with the platform doors.
In this case however I suspect it might actually be due to air-con. That's the principle behind PEDs in new metros these days.

In London, PEDs thus far (Jubilee Line extension) are for safety following the effects of the Kings Cross fire. i.e. Trains pumped new air in to a burning underground station - PEDs reduce that. And prevent suicides.

Actually worth noting - the Jubilee line trains, prior to the extension, had single doors only!! They were scrapped as soon as the extension went forward and wide double doors introduced.
Old May 19th, 2009, 02:10 AM   #156
micro

Likes (Received): 106

Quote:
Would you like to have a canyon in your living room?
micro no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2009, 12:14 PM   #157
rheintram
yeah, whatever

Likes (Received): 924

Quote:
Originally Posted by micro View Post
Would you like to have a canyon in your living room?
No I wouldn't, but then I wouldn't like a train going through my living room every few minutes either

@sarflonlad: This sounds reasonable, however I wonder why they need air-conditioning down there? Usually underground tunnels are pretty cool, without any artificial cooling.
rheintram no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2009, 12:56 PM   #158
sarflonlad

Quote:
@sarflonlad: This sounds reasonable, however I wonder why they need air-conditioning down there? Usually underground tunnels are pretty cool, without any artificial cooling.
These are the words of a man who has never traveled on LU!

It reaches way in to the 40s+ in temperature during the summer months on LU. The humidity is also insanely high!
Old May 19th, 2009, 02:14 PM   #159
Republica
BUND

There are endless problems on the tube with heat.

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/corporate/medi...hive/3564.aspx
Old May 19th, 2009, 05:51 PM   #160
iampuking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minato ku View Post
So the 2 doors per car claim is just based on the illustrations. I though that it was more serious.
Honestly the rolling stock that I saw in the illustrations were trains with ugly early 90's design. I doubt that the reality will be like that.

iampuking, don't worry too much
Crossrail will use the same trains as Thameslink, the specifications for Thameslink trains is for "16 doors per 8 car train", i.e. 2 doors per cars...

There are other things to worry about this project as well, such as the boring station design with lamentable passenger flow...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rheintram
I think they want Crossrail to be self-contained as it increases efficiency and reliability.

Tags
britain, london