daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 23rd, 2016, 04:53 PM   #1941
Antje
Public Transport Fan

I wished Skyscraper city would have the same system as Facebook's new reactions. The post is fine but TfL's move is a joke.
Antje no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 23rd, 2016, 06:50 PM   #1942
storms991
Leicester:NY:London

Likes (Received): 81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antje View Post
I wished Skyscraper city would have the same system as Facebook's new reactions. The post is fine but TfL's move is a joke.
why's that?
storms991 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2016, 06:55 PM   #1943
nr23Derek

Likes (Received): 77

Elizabeth Line - which will no doubt be known as "the Liz Line" - named after the queen because she once rode on the Victoria line about 50 years ago. Not to be confused with the Jubilee line which was going to be called the Fleet line but was named in honour of the Queen's silver jubilee which didn't happen in the year the line opened.

I do wish they wouldn't keep doing this sort of thing, it's cringeworthy.
nr23Derek no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2016, 08:24 PM   #1944
Antje
Public Transport Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by storms991 View Post
why's that?
We've been so used to the Crossrail name for a long time.
Old February 23rd, 2016, 08:27 PM   #1945
Skalka

Likes (Received): 28

Rebranding Crossrail as if it were a new Underground line is of course a good way to dis-associate it from the unreadable mess that London Overground has become.

On the one hand, it's spot on. It's like they only built Crossrail in order to access Heathrow and the Docklands in the first place even if the scheme itself had always had its merits. So yeah, it's more or less built with the metro option from Heathrow to Canary Wharf (and beyond) in mind and relieving the Central Line by connecting Stratford to Crossrail was more of a nice extra rather than anything else.

On the other hand, I'd be disgusted if that move coincided with BR Class 345 trains getting rebranded as "LU 2017 Stock" or similar. I'd rather seen all cross-London mainline rail lines including Thameslink rebranded into Crossrail with Cercanias-style numeration, e.g. C1, C2, C3 etc. and Overground becoming likewise A, B, C, D etc. (avoiding lawsuits with Telefónica about the O2 name) though keeping idiosyncratic tube naming intact. Just my two cents, but then again, Britain is different.
Skalka no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2016, 08:47 PM   #1946
Stratford

Likes (Received): 35

I don't expect people to shorten it. People say Picadilly Line and Hammersmith and City Line and so they will say Elizabeth Line. People will get used to it.
Stratford no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2016, 09:34 PM   #1947
Antje
Public Transport Fan

Unfortunately the local response isn't impressive, with most of the controversy being over cost and how familiar the name Crossrail has become.
Old February 23rd, 2016, 09:44 PM   #1948
milanoqc

Likes (Received): 84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford View Post
I don't expect people to shorten it. People say Picadilly Line and Hammersmith and City Line and so they will say Elizabeth Line. People will get used to it.
Well, I know a number of people who say 'Vic', 'Pic', and 'Met', and they're probably be the same shorthand-loving crowd who will be taking "the Liz to LHR for the BA to JFK".
On a slightly unrelated note, can someone confirm that the automated announcements on the Northern Line at KX seem to say "Hammersmith" instead of "Hammersmith and City"? I've always found it quite strange...
milanoqc no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2016, 10:03 PM   #1949
Antje
Public Transport Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skalka View Post
Rebranding Crossrail as if it were a new Underground line is of course a good way to dis-associate it from the unreadable mess that London Overground has become.

On the one hand, it's spot on. It's like they only built Crossrail in order to access Heathrow and the Docklands in the first place even if the scheme itself had always had its merits. So yeah, it's more or less built with the metro option from Heathrow to Canary Wharf (and beyond) in mind and relieving the Central Line by connecting Stratford to Crossrail was more of a nice extra rather than anything else.

On the other hand, I'd be disgusted if that move coincided with BR Class 345 trains getting rebranded as "LU 2017 Stock" or similar. I'd rather seen all cross-London mainline rail lines including Thameslink rebranded into Crossrail with Cercanias-style numeration, e.g. C1, C2, C3 etc. and Overground becoming likewise A, B, C, D etc. (avoiding lawsuits with Telefónica about the O2 name) though keeping idiosyncratic tube naming intact. Just my two cents, but then again, Britain is different.
Full size trains have letters, so the Class 345 could become C17 or E17 Stock if it joins the tube: if it ever will.
Old February 23rd, 2016, 11:12 PM   #1950
PortoNuts

Likes (Received): 7533

dimlys1994, mrsmartman liked this post
PortoNuts no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2016, 01:41 AM   #1951
Vaud

Likes (Received): 1595

I actually like the new name. As somebody said it implies a tube-like service to distinguish it from the horrendous mess that is the overground chart.
Vaud no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2016, 02:05 AM   #1952
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

Likes (Received): 5777

Is there any way to combine the two names and call it Queen's Cross?

Seems everyone should agree to that.
Woonsocket54 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2016, 02:11 AM   #1953
00Zy99

Likes (Received): 1507

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woonsocket54 View Post
Is there any way to combine the two names and call it Queen's Cross?

Seems everyone should agree to that.
That sounds much too much like King's Cross, which is a major rail station which is NOT served by the new line.

I am sure that you can understand the confusion that would be likely to result.
00Zy99 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2016, 02:44 AM   #1954
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

Likes (Received): 5777

It sounds nothing like King's Cross.

If Amtrak passengers can figure out the difference between New York Penn Station and Newark Penn Station (which basically sound the same), then I am sure UK passengers will distinguish King's Cross from Queen's Cross.

Nouvellecosse liked this post
Woonsocket54 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2016, 03:30 AM   #1955
Sameboat
Map assistant

Likes (Received): 144

This feels like Boris' scheme to please the royal family for his own sake.

Terribly irrelevant reason (which i don't dare to write it in Reddit to get tons of downvotes) I prefer "Elizabeth line": "Crossrail 1" in Chinese is localised to "Horizontally Piercing Railway" (横贯铁路) for linguistic rhyme and its almost horizontal alignment. This translation obviously would cause trouble to "Crossrail 2" because of its almost vertical alignment, some Chinese (including me) suggest to name it "Vertically Piercing Railway" (纵贯铁路) which seems too original research.

Last edited by Sameboat; February 24th, 2016 at 04:16 AM.
Sameboat no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2016, 04:09 AM   #1956
00Zy99

Likes (Received): 1507

Quote:

If Amtrak passengers can figure out the difference between New York Penn Station and Newark Penn Station (which basically sound the same), then I am sure UK passengers will distinguish King's Cross from Queen's Cross.
1) Amtrak passengers are long-distance, not commuters.

2) Both stops are on the same line, so it is less of a big deal.

3) I HAVE seen people get mixed up between the two. It seems to happen every time I ride-I see one or two people get confused between Newark and New York, and that's only in whatever car I'm riding in.
00Zy99 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2016, 05:14 PM   #1957
dimlys1994

Likes (Received): 26177

New London-bound platform opens at Abbey Wood station, as part of Crossrail project:
http://www.crossrail.co.uk/news/arti...platform-opens

For you:
Facebook & Flickr pages

437.001, PortoNuts liked this post
dimlys1994 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2016, 04:30 AM   #1958
theferret0
Trainhopping

Likes (Received): 17

Quote:

Never underestimate the average commuter's propensity for confusion.
Old February 27th, 2016, 11:41 PM   #1959
kwastell

Likes (Received): 131

No idea how possible this would be, and it'd probably be prohibitively expensive, but with 13,000 new homes on Greenwich Peninsula (and others in Deptford and Surrey Quays, I'm wondering if a Metropolitan line extension to North Greenwich would be feasible.

Take it on from Aldgate via Tower Hill, Bermondsey, Surrey Quays, then on to Deptford and taking over the Greenwich mainline to Plumstead. After Greenwich, add an extra branch towards North Greenwich with 6tph and another 6tph to Plumstead. Final piece of the puzzle would be for Crossrail to take over services from Abbey Wood to Dartford.

Sorry. Living in cuckoo land.
kwastell no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2016, 05:23 AM   #1960
luacstjh98

Likes (Received): 289

Isn't there a third track at North Greenwich Jubilee Line for a future branch line?

I have a bad habit of retroactively editing my posts without prior warning.
luacstjh98 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
britain, london