daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Photo Forums > Urban Showcase

Urban Showcase Show your selfmade photos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 7th, 2010, 04:25 AM   #81
TreantHugger

Likes (Received): 0

ok

Last edited by TreantHugger; December 26th, 2010 at 02:05 AM.
TreantHugger no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 7th, 2010, 08:31 AM   #82
Monolithic
Користувач форуму

Likes (Received): 97

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreantHugger View Post
It depends on the person, to me it's Lwów. Germans say Danzig instead of Gdańsk.
It only depends on language of topic (Internatonal forums use English language). And for me it's Львів, but like a Lwów, it's not an English.

Last edited by Monolithic; December 7th, 2010 at 02:55 PM.
Monolithic no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2010, 07:37 PM   #83
Skysteel
Panzer Führer

Likes (Received): 10284

Як малі діти,невже не можна ігнорувати ці закідони..
Що змінется від чергового "батлу"?
Old December 8th, 2010, 12:10 AM   #84
Monolithic
Користувач форуму

Likes (Received): 97

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skysteel View Post
Що змінется від чергового "батлу"?
А що, хтось тут б'ється? Навпаки, це спроба навести порядок в найменуваннях.

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1201669 - ось три назви, і все спокійно як на цвинтарі.
Monolithic no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2010, 12:24 AM   #85
Kampflamm
Endorsed by the NRA

Re-name it to "Lemberg" and everybody will be happy.

"I think it's a privilege to call yourself a Wunderbarler and it's something that you have to earn."
Kampflamm no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2010, 10:39 AM   #86
Karasek

Likes (Received): 808

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreantHugger View Post
It depends on the person, to me it's Lwów. Germans say Danzig instead of Gdańsk.
Yeah, let's start a thread about good old Breslau, lol.
Karasek no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2010, 04:37 PM   #87
Miguel_PL

Likes (Received): 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Askold View Post
- Ha ha ha, a nice attempt by a polish members to register this profile and pretend to be form Lviv. I can't believe poles are still suffering from this "small ***** complex" and continue act in such manner. It seems every tourist from Poland to Lviv has to:

1. Take numerous photos of garbidge or anything run down - to prove the city is unkept by Ukrainians (as oppose to, ofcourse to the time it was in Polish hands). You can find garbadge in any city if you want to find it, during my trip to Warsaw I saw tons of it too, but who would bother with pics of that?

2. Purposely use old Polish street names from 1930's. I wonder how residents of Warsaw would react if I used old Nazi names for their town.

3. Cry about "so called polish culture", despite the city founded by Ukrainian king and built by German-Italian architects. Most of modern Lviv was built during Austrian times, when such think as Poland did not exist. I hope the polish members grow up and stop with this childish nonsence of prooving everyone their "polishness".

1. The Poles do not take pictures of garbidge. The run-down buildings are ubiquitous in Lwów so when such a photo appears, it doesn't meen it's done on purpose (e.g. to be offensive towards the Ukrainians).

2. Why should I name Lwów's streets in Ukrainian when the Polish equivalents exist? It was a Polish city and I can't really understand your example of German names in Warsaw which was OCCUPIED by the Nazis. Lwów wasn't occupied by the Poles. The Polish names are just historical curiosity for us. Nothing abusive.

3. Ukrainian king? It's a new example of your national propaganda? And the fact is that the POLISH owners usually paid for the tenements built in the city and the Polish architects were committed as well. So, it's a part of Polish cultural richness. Try to use that potential cause Lwów is now (and always will be) in your hands.

Last edited by Miguel_PL; December 8th, 2010 at 04:44 PM.
Miguel_PL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2010, 06:15 PM   #88
Urbanista1
Here and Now

Likes (Received): 5287

Would you please change the f__king name to Lviv in respect of Ukraine and stop this childish nonsense. We know about the history of Lwow and its Polish history, but that's history and now its Ukrainian. Why was this thread revived in the first place. Would rather look at nice pics of Lviv/Lwow than talk historic bullshit thanks.
Urbanista1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2010, 08:35 PM   #89
Skysteel
Panzer Führer

Likes (Received): 10284

del
Old December 9th, 2010, 03:59 AM   #90
Marbur66

Likes (Received): 10168

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanista1 View Post
Would you please change the f__king name to Lviv in respect of Ukraine and stop this childish nonsense. We know about the history of Lwow and its Polish history, but that's history and now its Ukrainian. Why was this thread revived in the first place. Would rather look at nice pics of Lviv/Lwow than talk historic bullshit thanks.
Thank-you!
Marbur66 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2010, 09:15 PM   #91
Flawerwell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanista1 View Post
Done
Flawerwell no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2010, 09:14 PM   #92
Oleg84

Likes (Received): 2952

Change the name ...
Oleg84 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2010, 09:41 PM   #93
Falubaz

Likes (Received): 2940

Stop argueing, post pics!

₪₪₪Zielona Góra moim okiem₪₪₪ Zielonogórskie autobusy₪₪₪Port Lotniczy ZIElona Góra₪₪₪ BRT₪₪₪ścieżki rowerowe w ZG
₪₪₪[Świat] „Przebłyski pamięci”₪₪₪Moja Ameryka - nie tylko Stany
Falubaz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2010, 04:08 PM   #94
Flawerwell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg84 View Post
Change the name ...
I changed it in the bottom of my frist post and I thought that it automatically changed the name of all topic. But I don't know how to change it.
Flawerwell no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2010, 07:12 PM   #95
Urbanista1
Here and Now

No reason we couldn't have a Lwow thread under Polish site. Not sure how to change thread name actually maybe a moderator could do that.
Old December 19th, 2010, 06:28 PM   #96
ophizer

Likes (Received): 133

Lwow, Ukraine???

Why stop at Ukraine, you can be a total douchebag and call it
LWOW, LWOW VOIVODSHIP, RZECHPOSPOLITA

Last edited by ophizer; December 19th, 2010 at 07:31 PM.
ophizer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2010, 10:29 PM   #97
Urbanista1
Here and Now

time to close this thread please, it's being taken over by trouble-makers, no nice pics of Lviv/Lwow (whatever) just BS.

Warsaw Post-War Reconstruction to Present
Old December 20th, 2010, 11:09 PM   #98
shovel_ready
NIMBYcrusher9000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kampflamm View Post
Re-name it to "Lemberg" and everybody will be happy.
Hah, good idea. I'll even take it a step further and use the contrived Latin name for this city: Leopolis.

The ethnic sniping in this thread is beyond petty and seems to be representative of some people's own deep insecurity issues. Let's just accept the fact that Leopolis sits in a region that had constantly experienced shifting borders and political alignments over the past few centuries. As a result, this city should be celebrated as a patchwork of multi-ethnic greatness and achievement.

Politically, the region's longest tenure was under Polish jurisdiction, from 1349-1772, with the latter portion being under dominion of the great realm known as the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth.

Architecturally, most of the older buildings we see in the city today were developed during the Imperial Austrian period.

Ethnically, the board really got reshuffled when the Soviet Union took possession of this region immediately after WWII. A lot of ethnic Russians were moved into the city (as with so many other parts of the USSR), after the Soviets deported the Polish majority en-masse. the over the years the rural Ukrainian population that had been native to this region for many many centuries gradually moved into the city and that culture defines the city of Lviv we see today.

So yeah, what we have today is a Ukrainian city with a rich architectural heritage that reflects the complex historical trends, ethnic shifts, and political changes that took place in such a fascinating part of Europe.

Having said all of that, I'd love to see more pictures of this beautiful city

-Fyodor Dostoevsky

Last edited by shovel_ready; December 21st, 2010 at 12:08 AM.
shovel_ready no está en línea   Reply With Quote