daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Photo Forums > Urban Showcase

Urban Showcase Show your selfmade photos



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old February 13th, 2010, 10:37 AM   #1
Flawerwell
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Tarnobrzeg
Posts: 103
Likes (Received): 0

Wrocław in the summer

Most of institutions and many inhabitants were taken from Lwów to Wrocław. I put my photos to compare both cicties (Lwów is in another thread). Point out, that Wrocław was stronger destroyed than Lwów. First part: from a southern area to Main Square.





































Flawerwell no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 13th, 2010, 11:34 AM   #2
geoff189d
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Birmingham UK
Posts: 956
Likes (Received): 37

Hard to believe Wroclaw was a pile of rubble at the end of WW2. Looks a nice place now.
geoff189d no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2010, 11:41 AM   #3
Munichpictures1970
Registered User
 
Munichpictures1970's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: MUNICH
Posts: 1,229
Likes (Received): 217

Very nice pictures!
__________________
http://lostphoto.de
Munichpictures1970 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2010, 11:59 AM   #4
christos-greece
Moderator!
 
christos-greece's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 176,562
Likes (Received): 244376

Awesome, very nice shots from Wroclaw
__________________
Urban Showcase: Athens Kalamata Trikala Thessaloniki
Cityscapes: Paris Barcelona Dubai, U.A.E. Monte Carlo, Monaco
General photography: Castles of France - Chateau de France and, since May of '08: Greece!
christos-greece está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2010, 03:50 PM   #5
Flawerwell
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Tarnobrzeg
Posts: 103
Likes (Received): 0



















































Flawerwell no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2010, 06:55 PM   #6
surovy_mag
Registered User
 
surovy_mag's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Barnaul, Siberia
Posts: 31,938
Likes (Received): 27284

Super!
surovy_mag está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2010, 08:28 PM   #7
cameronpaul
Paris-the city beautiful
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: London
Posts: 932
Likes (Received): 479

There is obviously still a lot of restoration needed but it so good to see how much has been done to bring this lovely city back to life again - Poland has so much heritage and I hope it continues to prosper.
cameronpaul no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2010, 05:44 PM   #8
Flawerwell
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Tarnobrzeg
Posts: 103
Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by cameronpaul View Post
There is obviously still a lot of restoration needed but it so good to see how much has been done to bring this lovely city back to life again - Poland has so much heritage and I hope it continues to prosper.
It's a sad thing - the contrast between colorful centre and grey outskirs. I hope that Wrocław will be continuing restoration.
Flawerwell no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2010, 04:03 AM   #9
rychlik
BANNED
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 6,809
Likes (Received): 6603

Was communism's goal to make everything ugly?? It's sad how all these post-communist countries only in the last 15 or so years, have begun to renovate and revitalize their cities and architecture.
rychlik no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2010, 04:48 PM   #10
Flawerwell
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Tarnobrzeg
Posts: 103
Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by rychlik View Post
Was communism's goal to make everything ugly?? It's sad how all these post-communist countries only in the last 15 or so years, have begun to renovate and revitalize their cities and architecture.
No, it wasn't a goal, but communists focused on building new housing estates (famous concrete blocks), new megalomanic office buildings and of course industry. They completely forgot about historic buildings, because they were a symbol of past, bad system. Exeptionally they firstly rebuilt Old Towns in Warsaw, Wrocław, Gdańsk, but other old areas remained neglected.

Only since 1989 started a big program of renovation. The change is really big, I remember 90's (I was a kid) - everything grey and fragments of walls falling on the head. Now the situation is getting better year by year
Flawerwell no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2010, 06:20 AM   #11
Damian1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 42
Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rychlik View Post
Was communism's goal to make everything ugly?? It's sad how all these post-communist countries only in the last 15 or so years, have begun to renovate and revitalize their cities and architecture.

Communism is the worst ideology ever. The communist mindset, is never about building, only destroying. They ruined so many beautiful cities, with their drab, depressing, gray and beige, square concrete monstrosities. Warsaw looks hideous, compared to what it was before the war. Wroclaw has suffered as well, albeit, not as much as Warsaw, Bucharest, Moscow etc....Wroclaw is still very beautiful, it simply needs a face lift. The cracks need to be filled, the walls need to be repainted, and the city will be just fine. The one thing i recall from my trip to Wroclaw, and something that has given me nightmares, is the train station. It is very beautiful from the outside, but once you make your way inside the thing, you start to wish, you never made your way in there(the city still has a way to go).

Last edited by Damian1; February 17th, 2010 at 06:43 AM.
Damian1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2010, 10:29 AM   #12
Flawerwell
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Tarnobrzeg
Posts: 103
Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damian1 View Post
Communism is the worst ideology ever. The communist mindset, is never about building, only destroying. They ruined so many beautiful cities, with their drab, depressing, gray and beige, square concrete monstrosities. Warsaw looks hideous, compared to what it was before the war. Wroclaw has suffered as well, albeit, not as much as Warsaw, Bucharest, Moscow etc....Wroclaw is still very beautiful, it simply needs a face lift. The cracks need to be filled, the walls need to be repainted, and the city will be just fine. The one thing i recall from my trip to Wroclaw, and something that has given me nightmares, is the train station. It is very beautiful from the outside, but once you make your way inside the thing, you start to wish, you never made your way in there(the city still has a way to go).
You're wrong. Communists in style of building looked up to Le Corbusier. A complex of buildings near Marszałkowska (Domy Centrum, Rotunda PKO) is a great example of modernism architecture, Novotel too. And about destroying Warsaw: Thanks to stupid generals, who came up with Warsaw Uprising.
Flawerwell no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2010, 03:09 PM   #13
Offspring
Nie(bo) Szczecin
 
Offspring's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Szczecin, Pomerania
Posts: 10,118
Likes (Received): 7541

Quote:
Originally Posted by rychlik View Post
Was communism's goal to make everything ugly?? It's sad how all these post-communist countries only in the last 15 or so years, have begun to renovate and revitalize their cities and architecture.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flawerwell View Post
You're wrong. Communists in style of building looked up to Le Corbusier. A complex of buildings near Marszałkowska (Domy Centrum, Rotunda PKO) is a great example of modernism architecture, Novotel too. And about destroying Warsaw: Thanks to stupid generals, who came up with Warsaw Uprising.
Communism (or, to be precise, socialism) left not only grey blocks, but also great modernist architecture (center of Warsaw). The point is that after it falls we cannot maintain its heritage well: center of Warsaw remains neglected, good architecture is destroyed by "modern" restorations and so on.


Quote:
Originally Posted by cameronpaul View Post
There is obviously still a lot of restoration needed but it so good to see how much has been done to bring this lovely city back to life again - Poland has so much heritage and I hope it continues to prosper.
In case of Wroclaw it is mainly German heritage.
__________________
*Szczecin | Stettin
Jedno miasto | eine Stadt
Jedna historia | eine Geschichte


Offspring no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2010, 03:30 PM   #14
jwojcie
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,255
Likes (Received): 4012

Good thing is that since 89' "German heritage" is not obstacle for renovation.
jwojcie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2010, 04:51 PM   #15
Damian1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 42
Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flawerwell View Post
You're wrong. Communists in style of building looked up to Le Corbusier. A complex of buildings near Marszałkowska (Domy Centrum, Rotunda PKO) is a great example of modernism architecture, Novotel too. And about destroying Warsaw: Thanks to stupid generals, who came up with Warsaw Uprising.
Modernist architecture can be quite ugly and confusing. I am not a huge fan, of any of the newer buildings in Warsaw. BTW, what kind of architectural style does the train station fall under? That has to be the ugliest structure in all of Warsaw(built during communist years).
Damian1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2010, 04:57 PM   #16
Damian1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 42
Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwojcie View Post
Good thing is that since 89' "German heritage" is not obstacle for renovation.
What do you mean by that? German heritage, has left Poland with a lot of beautiful cities.
Damian1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2010, 05:27 PM   #17
Powelll
Rośnij w siłę, Polsko!
 
Powelll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Giżycko/Warszawa
Posts: 173
Likes (Received): 30

They also destroyed a big part of our, Polish heritage, to be precise.
__________________
Giżycko się rozwija, zapraszam!
Powelll no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2010, 06:55 PM   #18
Damian1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 42
Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powelll View Post
They also destroyed a big part of our, Polish heritage, to be precise.

So what's your point? Maybe we should put up, a lot ugly modern buildings, in Wroclaw and Gdansk, just to spite the Germans?
Damian1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2010, 07:20 PM   #19
Damian1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 42
Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flawerwell View Post
No, it wasn't a goal, but communists focused on building new housing estates (famous concrete blocks), new megalomanic office buildings and of course industry. They completely forgot about historic buildings, because they were a symbol of past, bad system. Exeptionally they firstly rebuilt Old Towns in Warsaw, Wrocław, Gdańsk, but other old areas remained neglected.

Only since 1989 started a big program of renovation. The change is really big, I remember 90's (I was a kid) - everything grey and fragments of walls falling on the head. Now the situation is getting better year by year

Communists wanted everything to look the same. They didn't give a damn about building something better, and more inspiring. The whole point, was to disconnect people from their past, and not to build something better. The best way to crush somebody's spirit, is to make everything as ugly, unappealing, and uninspiring as possible. I'll concede, a few communist era buildings are decent, but you can't tell me, that the good, outweighs the bad. Look at Bucharest as an example. One of the most lovely cities in all of Europe at one point. Forty years of communist rule, and the city no longer looks like the "Paris of the east". That distinction has been lost forever, all because, of one low IQ, megalomaniac.

Last edited by Damian1; February 17th, 2010 at 07:35 PM.
Damian1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2010, 09:58 PM   #20
Elvenking
Registered User
 
Elvenking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Gdynia/Gdańsk
Posts: 4,229
Likes (Received): 2565

Although you're right about disconnecting people from their past, also destroying social ties and "programming" new socialist mentality for people, I think you miss the point about architecture. It wasn't that bad. Commieblocks are scattered all over the world, in western Europe as well, also there are very good and modern (even for today's standards) examples of socialistic modernism, in fact it wasn't much different from the western architecture. Maybe not so sophisticated and built from cheaper materials, but still not bad. Time spoiled most of these buildings, now they're grey and dirty, but I assure you they'd look very modern after proper restoration. Even ugly commieblock can be renovated so that it looks acceptable Of course people in countries of former eastern block have hardly no idea about aesthetics, painting blocks and other modern architecture of period in ugly, trashy, colorful way (yellow/green/pink and so on ) - that's biggest problem.
Elvenking no está en línea   Reply With Quote


Reply

Tags
breslau, wroclaw

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 08:38 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

tech management by Sysprosium