daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Asian Forums > India > Metropolitan Projects > Mumbai

Mumbai Project news from the Mumbai Metropolitan Region - Mumbai, Navi Mumbai, Thane
» skyscrapers and supertalls | highrises

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 11th, 2010, 12:23 AM   #61
bharatiya
Swag Unmatched

Likes (Received): 20

Would it be more efficient (in terms of fast service) if we just installed automatic collection machines on all the buses so that we dont even need a conductor, or will that mean waiting at a stop for too long?
bharatiya no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old March 11th, 2010, 01:53 AM   #62
Abhishek901

Likes (Received): 430

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharatiya View Post
Would it be more efficient (in terms of fast service) if we just installed automatic collection machines on all the buses so that we dont even need a conductor, or will that mean waiting at a stop for too long?
Of course it is more efficient. It not only eliminates the need of having a conductor but also checks fare evasion. DTC is implementing this system on its whole fleet and has already done 2 trials on pilot basis. I guess other corporations will also follow soon if it becomes major success (like how metro's success was followed).
Abhishek901 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2010, 02:53 AM   #63
Abhishek901

This is the most ridiculous excuse I have come across in long time

Hindustan Times
Old March 11th, 2010, 02:56 AM   #64
Abhishek901

Hindustan Times
Old March 11th, 2010, 04:28 AM   #65
niknak

Likes (Received): 228

Why are they buying more buses if they aren't able to use all the new ones they just bought?
niknak no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2010, 05:15 AM   #66
Bombay Boy

Likes (Received): 8

BS. BEST drivers are horrible. they drive without realising there are other road users
Bombay Boy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2010, 05:17 AM   #67
bharatiya
Swag Unmatched

Likes (Received): 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhishek901 View Post
Of course it is more efficient. It not only eliminates the need of having a conductor but also checks fare evasion. DTC is implementing this system on its whole fleet and has already done 2 trials on pilot basis. I guess other corporations will also follow soon if it becomes major success (like how metro's success was followed).
What I mean is, will it take too long to get all those people on the bus and insert their cards versus just getting on the bus?

The SSCI Corruption Thread
bharatiya no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2010, 06:26 AM   #68
sammyk

Likes (Received): 23

4700 buses? I thought there were a lot more. BEST needs to just bite the bullet and place an order for a one for one replacement (perhaps 188 less? ). Perhaps they should all have (I know some currently do) automatic transmissions to reduce driver fatigue as well.
sammyk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2010, 06:31 AM   #69
sumant

Likes (Received): 13

about 800 buses are due this march end and that includes the midi buses mentioned in the article.but there is noplace available or insufficient place to park them.
sumant no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2010, 06:10 PM   #70
bhargavsura

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyk View Post
4700 buses? I thought there were a lot more. BEST needs to just bite the bullet and place an order for a one for one replacement (perhaps 188 less? ). Perhaps they should all have (I know some currently do) automatic transmissions to reduce driver fatigue as well.
Heck yeah! The way they have their old stick shift looks like a lot of work. Its time for these people to invest in something better, easier and convenient.
Old March 11th, 2010, 06:38 PM   #71
Abhishek901

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharatiya View Post
What I mean is, will it take too long to get all those people on the bus and insert their cards versus just getting on the bus?
Do you mean to say buses will have to wait longer at the bus stops as people will have to swipe cards one by one ? I guess people can at once board the bus and as the bus starts moving they can swipe the cards one by one. There must be some space between the doors and the AFC gates or reader machine for people to stand. Let's see how it turns out to be.
Old March 11th, 2010, 07:39 PM   #72
sammyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumant View Post
about 800 buses are due this march end and that includes the midi buses mentioned in the article.but there is noplace available or insufficient place to park them.
So why not remove 800 of the oldest buses in the fleet and replace them with these? If the 800 buses are for the BRTS project then why not use them as regular buses in the meantime?

Quote:
Do you mean to say buses will have to wait longer at the bus stops as people will have to swipe cards one by one ? I guess people can at once board the bus and as the bus starts moving they can swipe the cards one by one. There must be some space between the doors and the AFC gates or reader machine for people to stand. Let's see how it turns out to be.
Well with the way people board buses in India, all at once, it would be an interesting scene of watching people enter one by one. I don't think it would be a good idea for the bus to start moving. The driver should watch as everyone swipes.
Old March 11th, 2010, 07:49 PM   #73
sumant

Quote:
So why not remove 800 of the oldest buses in the fleet and replace them with these? If the 800 buses are for the BRTS project then why not use them as regular buses in the meantime?
they are probably gonna do that
Old March 11th, 2010, 08:10 PM   #74
Abhishek901

Quote:
Well with the way people board buses in India, all at once, it would be an interesting scene of watching people enter one by one. I don't think it would be a good idea for the bus to start moving. The driver should watch as everyone swipes.
There are mechanisms to check that also. Ticket checkers can randomly board buses and check with their hand held devices to know whether somebody has swiped a card or not.
Old March 11th, 2010, 09:20 PM   #75
sammyk

Quote:
There are mechanisms to check that also. Ticket checkers can randomly board buses and check with their hand held devices to know whether somebody has swiped a card or not.
Actually, now that I think of it, if RFID is used they need not use a machine at all. They could get scanned as they walk in and there could be a green/red light that lights up based on if they paid or not so the driver knows to turn them away.

Of course entry would have to be restricted to the front door in that case.
Old March 11th, 2010, 10:57 PM   #76
Abhishek901

Such RFID technology seems to be more high tech and expensive for this purpose.

Entry will have to be from the front door only in any case of automatic fare collection as the conductor is eliminated.
Old March 12th, 2010, 12:47 AM   #77
Abhishek901

Indian Express
Old March 16th, 2010, 02:09 AM   #78
Bombay2Calcutta

Likes (Received): 941

Bombay2Calcutta no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2010, 02:09 AM   #79
Bombay2Calcutta

Likes (Received): 941

14 cos buy bid papers for West Coast water transport

Ashley D’Mello I TNN

Mumbai: The West Coast water transport project, which has been dogged by delays for a while, has got several firms showing interest in it, with 14 of them buying the bid documents. The last date for submission of the papers has been slated for April 15.
According to the plan, this project would connect Nariman Point with Worli,Bandra, Versova and Vasai with the help of swift catamaran and hovercraft services, providing thousands of commuters a transport medium, which is alternative to the road route.
However, officials of the MSRDC, which is implementing the project, did not name the interested companies but only said that some of them were prominent firms. This is the third time in seven years that the project has gone in for bidding. The officials have not given any date when the ground work will be started for the West Coast plan.
Water transport for the city has been a non-starter for the past 10 years, with the MSRDC failing twice to kickstart it, owing to practical problems and court cases. The last attempt saw the MSRDC offering the scheme to a firm, Satyagiri Shipping, but the deal led to court cases from rival firms. As a result, the transaction was cancelled.
Similar to the West Coast, an East Coast water transport project is also in the pipeline and that will be developed by the MMRDA. Under this project, Ferry Wharf will be connected to Mandwa with vessels that will ferry both passengers and vehicles across the sea. The services will be extended to other areas later. The MMRDA, which is preparing a detailed project report on the East Coast, will build the jetties and allow a private firm to operate the services. MMRDA officials said they expect the project to be ready in three years.
Bombay2Calcutta no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2010, 09:44 AM   #80
sumant

In a week, 7-seater black-and-yellows

Quote:
The city’s cramped five-seater black-and-yellow taxis have come a long way since their introduction before our Independence, to complement horse-wagons.Starting next Monday, black-and-yellows will grow in size, making for seven occupants (including the driver).The State Transport Authority has cleared seven-seater taxis to ply in Mumbai and its metropolitan region.
http://www.hindustantimes.com/rssfee...e1-519567.aspx