daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 7th, 2014, 01:01 AM   #61
Mr_Dru

Likes (Received): 547

In november Schiphol Amsterdam has inaugurated a new fleet of 167 Tesla Model S taxis, giving it the largest fleet of all-electric taxis of any airport in the world.
The cabs will be operated by two taxi companies.

Suburbanist, rakcancer liked this post
Mr_Dru no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 7th, 2014, 06:54 AM   #62
mcarling

Likes (Received): 491

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingenioren View Post
You can go on long trips in a Model S, just need to take a 30 min break every 300km.
It takes only 90 seconds for a battery swap and the range is 300 miles, not 300 kilometers.
mcarling no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2014, 12:14 PM   #63
TrojaA
Ŗ-Retter

Likes (Received): 341

I really like the Tesla Model S apart from its huge Touchscreen. (I'm no friend of it and e.g. BMW's iDrive is much better to use while driving). The thing is that the Model S isn't very cheap, but on the other hand that wasnít the plan of Tesla.

In general itís a ďproblemĒ that electric vehicles donít save money over the entire term (not uncommonly it's more expensive), because the money you save through using less taxed electricity, you spend extra on the battery when buying the car. So you place energy costs (fuel) on hold and pay off them during the use. If you bought an EV, then you would pay much of these costs just as you would purchase the car. So at the moment Iíd say that electric cars arenít often affordable for the majority of people who travel 10km to 50km to work. (And there a much of these people who often donít buy new cars or very cheap one)

The range isnít really a problem if you have two vehicles (e.g. families often have two), so one could be used for commuting to work and the other one for longer trips. Refueling a Tesla isn't a very time-robbing thing when using a supercharger, so 80% of the battery power within the first 40-minutes seems to be okay, if you have to do this once, but if your trip takes 2 or 3 of these charges.. nope thatís no fun. ;-) The problem is, even with the Tesla you donít do at Richtgeschwindigkeit (130km/h) hardly more than 250km (lowlands). Some may reach 300km with a full battery, but thatís the maximum. Here itís a problem of the physics also a normal car usually consumes much fuel above 130km/h and the worst thing is to break and accelerate. Acceleration from 0 to 70km/h uses as much fuel as 100km/h to 120km/h. Although breaking doesnít hurt so much with an electric vehicle, acceleration still does.
Battery swapping always sounds so nice, but I donít think that there are high chances weíll ever see this. There are high infrastructure costs and just a handful of different battery assemblies would be possible. Doesnít seem very likely to me, but I take pot lock.

Ah btw, as I said electricity is less taxed and I assume that once the electric cars spread widely, there will be a high tax on your electricity youíre using for the car. (And it could be that you have to pay general and get your money back with the tax declaration if you didnít use so much energy for your electric vehicle)

All in all I would say weíll see whether the electric car will be successful or not. Decisive for me is a higher battery capacity, because I do job-related trips more than 700km long, commute to work 125km one direction etc. and even my petrol/gasoline-driven car reaches with a 62l fuel tank ~760km when driving only on motorways, so currently my driving profile doesnít match the profile of EVs. But I have an open mind about any new technology. :-)
TrojaA no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2014, 04:17 AM   #64
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 747

for those people with large networks of trolley-bus, why not put the springs/pantograph on your car roof to use the electricity for free

You can keep small battery or gas engine to drive up to the lines, then run on electricity when in the convenient routes
Kanadzie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2014, 04:24 AM   #65
mcarling

Just don't get caught by the police.
Old December 9th, 2014, 04:31 AM   #66
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 747

is there a specific law against it? It is just a decoration that happened to touch the wires. City should be ashamed to have such things, people could get hurt
Kanadzie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2014, 05:08 AM   #67
mcarling

Taking electricity from the public infrastructure and not paying for it is illegal in virtually every jurisdiction on the planet. The police and courts would see it as equivalent to unauthorized tapping into the power distribution lines.
Old December 15th, 2014, 08:40 AM   #68
MarcVD

Likes (Received): 192

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanadzie View Post
for those people with large networks of trolley-bus, why not put the springs/pantograph on your car roof to use the electricity for free

You can keep small battery or gas engine to drive up to the lines, then run on electricity when in the convenient routes
600-750 Volts... You'd need some serious insulation. DC current, too; so
a simple transformer won't do, you'd need a chopper. Also, it's not that
extensive, the longest trolleybus line in the world is Simferopol-Yalta in
Crimea, 86 km. But it's true that in the eastern block, there are some utility
vehicles equipped with poles.
MarcVD no está en línea   Reply With Quote