daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Photo Forums > Urban Showcase

Urban Showcase Show your selfmade photos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 16th, 2010, 07:09 PM   #1
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18156

hkskyline's 2008 SYDNEY Photo Collection Continued

I realize I had some Sydney photos lurking around unposted to my website during my Chinese New Year housecleaning. Now it's time to bring them back to life even though I'm 2 years late. My backlog is slowly being cleaned up as automation accelerate the processing and posting steps!

Prior Posted Photos : first part

Taste of the Sea

1. Sydney Fish Market is my absolute favourite eating place. Too bad there are so few spots to eat outside, and we had to settle for the grass a few times, which was already packed by lunch time.

2. Canadian oysters costed about a buck each when in-season. I used that as a benchmark and the Aussies charged about the same here. I helped myself and had an absolute feast.

3. There was quite a large array of seafood available. I didn't have a chance to try all of them, and my regret was having missed the Moreton Bay bugs!

8. Sea urchin was a bit disappointing though, although I didn't get it at this store. This creature needs to be very fresh or else it will taste absolutely awful!

10. I came back to this market a few times during my 2-month stay in Australia for oysters. I could never get these prices in Hong Kong!

13. Too bad I'm not too good at cooking fish. I used to cook tuna quite often during my days in New York, since it's safe to eat tuna that is not too well cooked! These look quite yummy, although not sure what will happen if I make it a bit too raw.

18. There was a reason why I didn't try the bugs. They looked disgusting and not so edible upon first sight. But I was told they were good and I procrastinated to try. Now I have my regrets.

Lunch Jog

20. Aussies are very healthy people. At lunch, the park around the Opera House would be full of office workers jogging and playing sports. With the beautiful blue sky out, it was a crime not to be out.

22. Classified ...

23. Why swim in a pool when the ocean is right next to you?

24. This is only a 10-minute jog from the financial district!

27. This is why Sydney has such high quality of life. Imagine having a home office on the yacht, wiring money to distant corners around the world.

28. The day cannot get more perfect than this!

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 16th, 2010, 07:35 PM   #2
christos-greece
Moderator!

Likes (Received): 244385

Beautiful photos from Sydney, you got hkskyline
christos-greece no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2010, 03:52 PM   #3
hkskyline
Hong Kong

30. The Botanic Gardens and the Domain are great places to see Sydney's skyscrapers all lined up for a photo-shoot.

31. It's also a great place to unwind during the work day.

32. I'm going to start digging around to see if I have enough content for a Statues and Monuments of Sydney thread.

37. I came a bit too early for a tour of Government House. I came back eventually and got in for a look later.

40. You see the people near the top of the bridge? I didn't try the bridge climb in the end. It was very pricey and I intended to use that money to subsidize future trips to Melbourne, Adelaide, Cairns, and Brisbane.

41. I opted for the ferries instead.

42. The postcard view ...

43. All this looks so serene. No wonder Sydney's quality of life is so high.

55. This view is probably too expensive for me to set up shop, so the best I can do is to look at them from the sea.

56. Seaplane! Wonder where these fly to?

59. The barren rock ...

60. Let's go fishing!

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
Old February 19th, 2010, 04:41 PM   #4
Marco Polo

Splendid beyond belief
Marco Polo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2010, 09:44 PM   #5
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Above Everyone!
61. Sydney Tower is not a particularly high structure. You barely scrape the rooftops of nearby buildings but it does give a good overview of the city since it's right in the middle of the CBD. You get a view of the beautiful harbour :

62. Quite a lot of homes with views of the sea!

63. I like these close-up shots where major landmarks can be framed in context of its neighbours. This one stands out much more since there is a park next door.

64. The Pacific in the distance.

67. Sydney's blue skies are great. You can see so far ... that's Watsons Bay in the distance!

70. On the south side, there are a couple of skyscrapers near Chinatown. Then it's more ocean in the distance.

75. Darling Harbour is to the west, although the view from this side isn't too special at all.

78. ANZAC Bridge looks quite nice though, although I prefer the sunset view from the fish market.

81. That big swathe of land by the waterfront will be the next big development area in downtown Sydney.

82. The north faces the central business district. I came up here around noon-time, hoping the sun won't get in the way, but the glare is starting to show.

Old February 20th, 2010, 11:47 PM   #6
aster4000

Likes (Received): 11

great collection of Sydney photos.
aster4000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2010, 07:35 PM   #7
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Bondi Beach - Tamarama Bay Walk

87. I needed a break, and it was time to hit the ocean. Bondi Beach was very easy to get to from the city. I wanted to see if there was a nice waterfront promenade to see the city meet the ocean.

88. I was not disappointed. Apparently, a lot of people wanted to enjoy the day as well.

93. For those who didn't like sand, the alternative was to sit on the grass.

95. The path headed around the beach and towards the coast. I was excited. There must be stuff to see.

100. Here is the wide view of the beach.

101. Swim in a pool next to the ocean!

103. I hope the homes above won't succumb to erosion one day. However, the residents must be lucky to get a free sea song to wish them good night.

108. I wanted to cover the monument on the other side as well, but time was against me. I could only look admirably from a distance.

110. The path along the waterfront was quite popular and it was a nice workout on a sunny, cool day.

114. Bondi Rescue? The Australian version of Baywatch?

For the full set, please visit my website : http://www.globalphotos.org/sydney.htm

Old February 22nd, 2010, 07:38 PM   #8
christos-greece
Moderator!

Likes (Received): 244385

Indeed, great collection of photos and with those updated ones
christos-greece no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2010, 12:51 PM   #9
melbstud

Likes (Received): 7

wow
melbstud no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2010, 07:46 PM   #10
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Randomly Exploring the City

118. On a less sunny day, zooming into buildings and omitting the sky was the way to go.

119. Tourist trap .. don't see much practical use of this monorail at all. I never paid the extraordinary amount of money to use it. I preferred the rails and buses.

123. A few years ago, several Hong Kong double decker buses moved to Australia to serve as tourism vehicles. I wonder if this was one of them?

124. Interesting conversion / addition at the top.

125. Chinatown's large shopping mall. A modern facility sits upstairs, while a more chaotic and rugged flea market was at street-level. Plenty of options for you ... I enjoyed stocking up on my favourite Asian treats here during my long stay in Sydney.

126. This was my primary means of getting to the fish market, and seemed to actually go somewhere meaningful beyond that as well. But I never saw big crowds on this line.

133. On the other side of the main street, it was Koreatown!

134. Shopping in Sydney was an expensive experience. Perhaps due to the distance, but I didn't expect London prices in Sydney!

142. This place charged me a fortune to exchange Aussie dollars.

Old March 3rd, 2010, 01:15 PM   #11
melbstud

Likes (Received): 7

melbstud no está en línea   Reply With Quote