daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 24th, 2010, 10:02 PM   #41
Gareth
Keltlandia

Likes (Received): 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatcherZero View Post
Does the new Kirkby turn back station mean aspirations for extending electrification to Wallgate have been dropped?
I don't think electrification to Wallgate will ever happen, at least not on Merseyrail. A link to Skelmersdale is more likely.

Last edited by Gareth; February 26th, 2010 at 03:49 PM.
Gareth no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 26th, 2010, 05:59 AM   #42
Tom 958

Likes (Received): 163

I can't believe it doesn't have level boarding. Wassup with that?

Other than that, an enviably extensive if unaesthetic system.
Tom 958 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2010, 03:52 PM   #43
Gareth
Keltlandia

Likes (Received): 66

The trains are old (over 35 years) and weren't designed for the network. In the next few years, they're due to be replaced with new build, specifically designed for the system.

Most of the underground station designs are from the 1970s and have been barely altered in that time, so are due for refurbishment. That said, they don't look so bad, considering.
Gareth no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2010, 02:02 AM   #44
poshbakerloo
***Alexxx***

Likes (Received): 292

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom 958 View Post
Very few subway networks do, other than the brand new ones built in the last 10-20 years. London Underground has some huge gaps. Also the trains thats Merseyrail uses are just normal main line trains. But considering the age of the trains (35+ years) they look and work pretty well!

I <3 London
poshbakerloo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2010, 07:13 PM   #45
dmarney

Likes (Received): 9

i dont think there will be new trains for at least the next 10 years
dmarney no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2011, 11:02 PM   #46
Martin S

Likes (Received): 3156

Quote:
Liverpool Daily Post - Monday 05th September
LIVERPOOL’S busiest train station will shut for four months as part of a £40m overhaul of the city’s underground stops.

Around £20m will be ploughed into congested Central station – described currently by rail bosses as "no longer fit for purpose".

Merseyrail said the long-awaited refurbishment, to take place between April and August next year, will improve access and passenger flow.

Last year more than 18 million people passed through the often-cramped three platform station – the busiest underground station outside London.

Merseyrail managing director Bart Schmeink said: "Central is the busiest station on the network and should be Merseyrail’s flagship station.

"But, as we all know, it isn’t in its present state. This major overhaul is long overdue and the inevitable inconvenience of closing the station whilst the work is carried out will be well worth the wait

"By autumn 2012 Liverpool Central will be fit to serve a city that itself has gone onward and upward over the last few years."

Plans include the full refurbishment of the concourse area with natural light flowing through a glazed roof and "glass walls". There will also be an additional lift, new escalators to the Northern Line, larger platforms and improved toilet facilities.

Network Rail, which is providing the bulk of the funding, said precise dates for the project would be confirmed when contracts are let. But it is expected to be closed from April to August. Merseyrail said bus shuttles will operate so passengers using the three other city stations can access the area.

A spokesman said: "With the number of people who use the station every day already making the platforms very crowded it is simply impossible to carry out work on this scale and keep the station open."

Train services will operate as normal but pass through without stopping.

Merseytravel chairman Cllr Mark Dowd, said: "Quite simply Liverpool Central is no longer fit for purpose. I have already warned it is approaching a situation where it will become dangerous to the travelling public."

Moorfields, James Street, Lime Street and Hamilton Square, in Birkenhead, will share the remaining £20m.
Much needed investment - the underground stations have not been modernised since the completion of the Merseyrail Underground scheme in 1977.
Martin S no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2011, 12:37 AM   #47
trainrover
:-x

Likes (Received): 738

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gareth View Post
A close-up of the tower showing the still visible Mersey Railway signage.

Altogether fascinating! Might the rationale for the line "frequent electric trains" to the modern signage be known? If so, what is it
trainrover no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2011, 12:44 AM   #48
DanielFigFoz

Likes (Received): 898

As it is interesting, and it's what was underneath, which is also interesting

Quote:

For me, being used to the Underground, that is quite level (in some places where different stock with different levels they can't so much about it). Even British Rail stations often have a bit of a step.
DanielFigFoz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2011, 09:10 PM   #49
nr23Derek

Likes (Received): 77

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainrover View Post
Altogether fascinating! Might the rationale for the line "frequent electric trains" to the modern signage be known? If so, what is it
It's not that modern. I remember the sign from the early 60's!

Derek
nr23Derek no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2011, 10:47 PM   #50
trainrover

In the scheme of things, plastic's modern, so might you be capable of replying?
Old September 9th, 2011, 03:50 AM   #51
BoulderGrad

Likes (Received): 1177

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gareth View Post
The trains are old (over 35 years) and weren't designed for the network. In the next few years, they're due to be replaced with new build, specifically designed for the system.

Most of the underground station designs are from the 1970s and have been barely altered in that time, so are due for refurbishment. That said, they don't look so bad, considering.
Is this still just in planning stages, or do we have an idea what the new cars will look like? I also recall trains are typically pretty short (2 or 3 cars). Any plans to run longer trains?
Old September 9th, 2011, 04:12 AM   #52
Pablo Diablo

Likes (Received): 240

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoulderGrad View Post
Is this still just in planning stages, or do we have an idea what the new cars will look like? I also recall trains are typically pretty short (2 or 3 cars). Any plans to run longer trains?
Just in the planning stages... if that. All we really know is that they're due for renewal in the next few years.

Normal service is 3 cars. Peak service is 6 cars.
Pablo Diablo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2011, 10:39 PM   #53
Martin S

Quote:
Well both signs say 'frequent electric trains'. The painted one must date from 1948 at the latest as that is when the Mersey Railway company was nationalised. In fact, there were frequent electric trains from 1903 when the line was electrified and frequent steam trains before that.

I'm pretty sure that there used to be a neon sign before the one in the photograph was installed.
Old September 9th, 2011, 10:44 PM   #54
trainrover

Neon became the 'scourge of decay' in N America in the '40s, so I'd bet you're right about it being there beforehand.

I'm just curious as to why the compulsion at replicating 'frequent electric trains' ... maybe it had something to do with realising the Americans' advancement with diesel-electric motive power, hence a rationale paralleling modernisation man, I wish I knew! especially when it makes perfect sense that electrification must've occurred about a semi-century beforehand
Old September 9th, 2011, 10:49 PM   #55
Martin S

Quote:

That station is Central low level, which is going to be extensively renovated next year, hopefully. The station started life as a terminus for the trains to and from the Wirral but, following the Loop and Link scheme of the 70s it became a through station on the Northern Line with Wirral Line services diverted to a new deep level station. Nowadays it is frequently overcrowded.

Merseyrail is a heavy rail suburban system with an underground central section - and is similar in many respects to a German S-Bahn. As with most suburban and main line trains in Britain, it does not have level boarding - but that might change when the new trains are introduced -although there will still be a 'gap' problem because of the curvature on several platforms.
Old September 9th, 2011, 10:56 PM   #56
trainrover

Quote:
unaesthetic system
Unaesthetic?!? I'd rather Merseyrail over Underground Atlanta any day

Congratulations with Merseyrail infrastructure upgrades, Liverpool!
Old September 11th, 2011, 02:28 AM   #57
Tom 958

Likes (Received): 163

Quote:
Unaesthetic?!? I'd rather Merseyrail over Underground Atlanta any day
LOL, so would I! Infrastructure doesn't have to be pretty to be functional. Or interesting. Or impressive.

One could say that Liverpool's system is so unaesthetic it's cute.
Tom 958 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2011, 09:32 PM   #58
Martin S

I had a look at the Wikipedia article on Underground Atlanta just to see what it was like - certainly seems interesting although not directly comparable to an underground rail system.

Merseyrail is a mainly overground system assembled from a number of different railway companies and with architecture ranging from Victorian brick or sandstone station buildings, Art Deco and a handful of modern stations built in the last two decades so there is a range of architectural styles and quality.

There are only five proper underground stations (although two of these are two-level interchanges) and these are a mixture of modernised Victoriana and new single track stations built in the 70s. The 70s stations adopted a simple and clean design that has lasted the test of time (well over thirty years at least) but is now up for replacement.

I think that it would be great to restore Hamilton Square and James Street to their original Victorian condition as they must be fairly unique in being double track stations with flanking platforms built in bored tunnel - something that I have never seen elsewhere.

Central Low Level is just a utilitarian box with an island platform that is overcrowded at peak hours and nobody is going to be too sad to see that radically altered.

Whilst, I am often impressed by the architecture of some of the underground systems on this forum, the utilitarian systems do have a charm of their own. A lot of the London Underground and New York subway stations don't seem to have changed much in over a century and gives them a historical aspect that is missing in more modern systems.
Old September 12th, 2011, 12:04 AM   #59
trainrover

I know, I know; Underground Atlanta isn't comparable to Merseyrail, I was just teasing (although I do hate shopping). Come to think of it, what if Atlanta had converted Atlanta's downtown underground tracks into mass or light transit, instead of into a shopping arcade/mall
Old April 29th, 2012, 06:09 PM   #60
Martin S

Work has finally started on the £20million upgrade of Liverpool Central Station, which is the busiest underground station in Britain outside of London. The work will include opening up the main passenger concourse with a new, glazed roof, replacement of escalators, renewal of station cladding and the freeing up of more platform space on the island platform serving the Northern line.

This has resulted in the complete closure of the station which carries around 18 million passengers per year. The station closure was effective from Monday 23rd and was timed so as not to interfere with the Sea Odyssey spectacle which brought 1 million visitors into the city.

The station is on two levels with the work to the deep level single track Wirral Line platform being completed by the end of August and that to the low level double track Northern Line platform being completed by the end of October.

In the meantime, Liverpool is getting used to a fleet of London type red buses ferrying passengers between the underground stations (although trains will still pass without stopping through Central).

Work is also well underway on the Central Village development which occupies the site of the former High Level Station which closed in 1972. The new retail, leisure and residential development by Merepark will include a new entrance into Central and incorporates the former Lewiss store which used to have its own subway entrance in the basement.