daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013)

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > OZScrapers > Urban Spaces > Archives

Old May 24th, 2004, 07:03 AM   #1
Fabian
Sydney: World's best city

SYD - Channel Sevens new studios

As you should know by now, Channel Seven (ATN 7) is moving out of their Epping site, which has been home to them since it's establishment in November 1956.

They are moving to Jones Bay Wharf on Pirrama Road at Pyrmont and the news centre is moving into the podium of Colonial Tower at Martin Place.

I read over the weekend that Channel Seven will move into the new news centre in August and the rest will move to Pyrmont the following month. As many as 3000 people would be working in the new studios at Pyrmont, providing a big boost to the working population of Pyrmont. Billboards promoting the new news centre have been placed along the windows at Martin Place to promote but also to hide what is happening inside

Production facilities however will remain at Epping.

Fab Sydney Flashbacks
Fabian no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old May 24th, 2004, 07:35 AM   #2
CULWULLA

Likes (Received): 1628

epping to Colonial Bank in CBD. wow! i know where i would work.

Old May 24th, 2004, 11:41 AM   #3
finn

Likes (Received): 657

Wow, Pyrmont/Ultimo is becoming a real TV hub, with the Channel 10 studios, ABC Studios at Ultimo, Foxtel HQ in the wharf next to the Maritime Museum and now Channel 7 studios! Optus Vision isn't too far away, directly across the harbour in North Sydney, although I think Optus are looking to move out North Ryde way.

Very interesting considering that they have all moved from the North Shore (with the exception of Foxtel) - now we've just got to get SBS (at Artarmon) and Channel 9 (at Willoughby) down to the Pyrmont Peninsula, and it will truly be a TV hub!
finn está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2004, 11:58 AM   #4
MelbourneCity

Likes (Received): 11

Jones Bay wont be studios - its going to be the Seven Network pty ltd corporate HQ - pacific publications, ch7 Sydney & network offices will be there. Studio facilities will remain at Epping for Home and Away, All Saints etc.

The NBC style news centre should be impressive!
Old June 5th, 2004, 12:10 AM   #5
Fabian

Again I had a peek through the doors on the Elizabeth Street side, and work was in fullswing at long last. Nothing noticeable as yet, but scaffholding has appeared inside the podium. You can see the scaffolding through the other windows.

Fab Sydney Flashbacks
Old June 5th, 2004, 08:10 AM   #6
Muse
Supernature

Likes (Received): 18

It's not huge billboards gracing the bottom of 52 Martin Place. Looks more like temporary advertisements that are painted so that it's difficult to see insde the previous banking chamber.

Wonder what Channel 7 is doing in the old ground level chamber with the scaffolding that Fabian mentioned. Hopefully some high-tech wizadry that is easily visible.

As for the burgeoning T.V. network working population in Pyrmont & Ultimo, maybe I'll be "discovered" as I live in the area - Possibly as an extra in the background for a cafe scene in Neighbours or Home & Away .
Muse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2004, 01:58 PM   #7
Fabian

Here is a description of what to expect as seen on the Channel Seven website

The 7news Centre will be one of the most technologically advanced digital television centres in the world with a glass-faced, high-definition digital television studio plus digital newsgathering and production video-server technology. Sony in Japan has been commissioned to be Seven's principal supplier. We are working together to make 7news Centre a showcase for the world's best high-definition studio broadcast technologies.

Seven will produce Sunrise, Sunday Sunrise, 7news and other programming from a new high-definition digital television studio to be constructed in the building’s atrium. Each of these programmes will be produced live-to-air in a glass-fronted news centre allowing the public to watch Seven's programming in production.

With 7news Centre in Martin Place, Seven will be making a strong public connection with our audiences. We are planning to migrate our hugely successful Sunrise into a new home in the city – allowing the public to connect directly with the programme that's changing the face of breakfast television. Ian Ross will anchor our 6pm news in Sydney from 7news Centre.

Seven's digital news studio will be at ground level. Seven's major newsroom will be on the first floor of 7news Centre, with Sunrise and Today Tonight based on the second floor. Seven will be introducing video server "tapeless" technology to create the most advanced news operation in the world.

And passing by the site today, One of the control rooms is being done up with TV screens now installed on the ground level.

Fab Sydney Flashbacks
Old July 11th, 2004, 10:25 AM   #8
Fabian

Opening of the news centre is scheduled for August 30!!!!

Fab Sydney Flashbacks
Old July 14th, 2004, 04:34 AM   #9
rondeez
GO THE EELS!

Likes (Received): 0

This is going to be BIG!

I cant wait! Im most excited about Sunrise capturing the hectic vibe of the city. So my eyes will definitely be glued to the TV screen come August 30. Lets start a countdown... LOL

With Sevens news gaining [and in Sydney even beating] on Nine i wonder what the rival network has up their sleaves to counter?
rondeez no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2004, 09:02 AM   #10
Fabian

I finally managed to grab a pic of work inside through the narrow gap on the Elizabeth St side. More monitors and screens have appeared.

Fab Sydney Flashbacks
Old July 15th, 2004, 09:09 AM   #11
nsn

Likes (Received): 4

!!!!
Old July 15th, 2004, 01:09 PM   #12
SinCity
Streetwalker

Likes (Received): 65

This is so USA!
SinCity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2004, 02:55 PM   #13
Syd-Hk
What Title?

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabian
Here is a description of what to expect as seen on the Channel Seven website

The 7news Centre will be one of the most technologically advanced digital television centres in the world with a glass-faced, high-definition digital television studio plus digital newsgathering and production video-server technology. Sony in Japan has been commissioned to be Seven's principal supplier. We are working together to make 7news Centre a showcase for the world's best high-definition studio broadcast technologies.

Seven will produce Sunrise, Sunday Sunrise, 7news and other programming from a new high-definition digital television studio to be constructed in the building’s atrium. Each of these programmes will be produced live-to-air in a glass-fronted news centre allowing the public to watch Seven's programming in production.

With 7news Centre in Martin Place, Seven will be making a strong public connection with our audiences. We are planning to migrate our hugely successful Sunrise into a new home in the city – allowing the public to connect directly with the programme that's changing the face of breakfast television. Ian Ross will anchor our 6pm news in Sydney from 7news Centre.

Seven's digital news studio will be at ground level. Seven's major newsroom will be on the first floor of 7news Centre, with Sunrise and Today Tonight based on the second floor. Seven will be introducing video server "tapeless" technology to create the most advanced news operation in the world.

And passing by the site today, One of the control rooms is being done up with TV screens now installed on the ground level.
HOW BADLY CAN CHANNEL 7 EXAGERRATE?
Syd-Hk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2004, 02:56 PM   #14
SydneyDude
me!

Great shot Fabian!! hahaha

I hope these new studios are chockers full of plasma screens.. mmmmm
SydneyDude no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2004, 10:29 PM   #15
Fabian

Good News!!!! The move will begin next week. Staff will begin moving into the Pyrmont complex from next week.

Fab Sydney Flashbacks
Old August 8th, 2004, 12:04 AM   #16
Fabian

I put my camera through the gap again yesterday

The Elizabeth Street level continue's to progress fairly slowly. There is still a heap of scaffholding and it's just weeks until it's opening. Alot of the work has been concentrated at the back. Another control room is being done up with more screens which you can see in the pic. Another layer of Glass has also been installed in fron't of the existing windows with a few more on various parts.of the complex.

There is nothing to see yet on the Phillip Street level. I was lucky to have the door open on that side and I managed a stickybeak. I should of been quick on grabbing a shot before a worker came into in view, but there was nothing worth taking a pic of.

Fab Sydney Flashbacks
Old August 8th, 2004, 05:21 AM   #17
climbing_crane

Likes (Received):

You should of got a photo of the fashion tent they were erecting in Martin Place. Once the girls come on tomorrow that won't be the only thing doing some erecting.
Old August 8th, 2004, 01:43 PM   #18
atkinson1
Fruit 'n' Nut

Haha awesome spy photos. It would be awesome if they had a news studio at the top of a skyscraper with a window background over looking the city. It probably wouldn't be very practicle though.
Old August 8th, 2004, 10:06 PM   #19
Jimmy James
I want to do you slowly

Quote:
Originally Posted by rondeez
This is going to be BIG!

I cant wait! Im most excited about Sunrise capturing the hectic vibe of the city. So my eyes will definitely be glued to the TV screen come August 30. Lets start a countdown... LOL

With Sevens news gaining [and in Sydney even beating] on Nine i wonder what the rival network has up their sleaves to counter?
True enough Seven is starting to kick Nine's arse in the news department, pity about the rest of their schedule, I don't know about you but I ain't hanging out to watch 100% Tony Sqires (a former TV Critic?) or Crossing Jordan (Formerly of the superior L&O) and I'm dirty on Seven for giving Tru Calling the flick! Hell if it wasn't for Roadhouse last Friday night I may not have watched them at all - save for their news/sunrise which is currently the best.

I shudder to think the last time Seven news was beating Nine they retaliated by starting a Bingo competition - true story, cross your fingers that that doesn't happen again.

On the subject of News - how is the Jana Pitman story MORE important than the baby being snatched? I see pictures of Pitman crying - i wanna tell the stupid bitch that she has nothing to cry about in comparison to some people.

http://televisionrant.blogspot.com/
Daily Australian Television Ratings
Jimmy James no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2004, 10:41 PM   #20
Vitriol
I speak the truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy James
On the subject of News - how is the Jana Pitman story MORE important than the baby being snatched? I see pictures of Pitman crying - i wanna tell the stupid bitch that she has nothing to cry about in comparison to some people.
You know how it is here. Sport is always more important than anything else that may or may not be happening out there in the world...

Why else would Channel 9 abandon all of it's programming throughout Summer to broadcast cricket to two devout viewers?
Vitriol no está en línea   Reply With Quote