daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Airports and Aviation > Airports

Airports discussions about existing airports

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 24th, 2014, 11:53 PM   #201
BBMW

Likes (Received): 35

Dream on. The locals will never allow that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldsofdreams View Post
That would be really nice to see that LAX is heading towards an ATL or DEN-style expansion stage to accommodate even more aircraft.

Last edited by BBMW; July 27th, 2014 at 12:55 AM.
BBMW no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 25th, 2014, 08:59 AM   #202
ovnours
свинота

Likes (Received): 61111

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
Dream on. The local will never allow that.
How come?
Old July 26th, 2014, 09:49 AM   #203
BoulderGrad

Likes (Received): 1177

Ze German in me wants to see them redevelop all the other terminals in the same architectural style as the new Tom Bradley Terminal and new International terminal leaving only the theme building.

The new terminal is definitely tits. I just wish they could make the rest of the airport the same level of quality.
Old July 27th, 2014, 12:56 AM   #204
BBMW

If you know anything about LAX, you know that there have been HUUUGGGGEEEEE political battles with the residents of the surrounding area (Westchester) over anything that even vaguely expands the airport. If they could, they'd get the thing shut down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovnours View Post
How come?

ovnours liked this post
Old July 28th, 2014, 10:45 AM   #205
ovnours
свинота

Likes (Received): 61111

Quote:
If you know anything about LAX, you know that there have been HUUUGGGGEEEEE political battles with the residents of the surrounding area (Westchester) over anything that even vaguely expands the airport. If they could, they'd get the thing shut down.
Well ok, i just don't see how a new terminal can make things worse for the locals. It's not like they are going to build a new runway in their backyards. LAX is already one of the world's busiest airports. How worse can it get?
Old July 28th, 2014, 12:17 PM   #206
androidhay
BANNED

Likes (Received): 5

I saw the new TBIT this morning, what happened to the bridge and other terminal? Was the plan scaled back? The bridge proposal does not seem to be on the LAWA website.
androidhay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2014, 11:58 PM   #207
BBMW

You said Denver style expansion. I thought you meant an airside expansion to match Denver. That's just never going to happen.

LAX wants to slide the outer north runway a bit further north (maybe 200 feet), the locals are up in arms about that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovnours View Post
Well ok, i just don't see how a new terminal can make things worse for the locals. It's not like they are going to build a new runway in their backyards. LAX is already one of the world's busiest airports. How worse can it get?
Old August 18th, 2014, 02:08 PM   #208
nawa87

Likes (Received): 267

An HD Tour of LAX, Terminals 4, 5, 6, 7, and 8

Tour Of The New Tom Bradley International Terminal At LAX

nawa87 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2014, 05:51 AM   #209
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53485

See the Brand New Look Coming to LAX's Terminal 2

Quote:
The Tom Bradley International Terminal is now nicely redone, but scads of construction still marches on at LAX in Terminal 2, which is getting a thorough redesign and the addition of a 16,100-square-foot "dining and retail collection" with 20 new shops offering food and a bevy of things to buy—seafood, pie, Spanx. Post-makeover, the international and domestic terminal will be organized into three "districts": a Commercial Hub, a Dining Terrace, and The Strand, "an open, flowing dining and shopping district" that'll lead to a big staircase up to a mezzanine overlooking the terminal. T2 will also be getting new "lounge-style" seats, more charging stations, terrazzo floors, "decorative screens" (ads), new lighting, and upgraded restrooms. The terminal will stay open during the revamp, which is expected to be finished sometime in 2015.

Zack Fair, patel2897 liked this post
desertpunk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2014, 10:36 AM   #210
EK413

Likes (Received): 1895

Westfield...?!?
Old September 16th, 2014, 06:15 PM   #211
redspork02

Likes (Received): 818

Los Angeles Files Motion Challenging Ontario Airport Dispute Liset Marquez On Sep 15, 2014
Source: Inland Valley Daily Bulletin, Calif.
http://www.aviationpros.com/news/116...irport-dispute

Sept. 14--RIVERSIDE -- Attorneys for Ontario and Los Angeles will be back in court Monday morning for significant a motion involving the takeover of LA/Ontario International Airport.

LA is asking Riverside Superior Court Judge Gloria Connor Trask determine whether or not certain Ontario airport documents including the 1967 Joint Powers Agreement are subject to termination.

Ontario filed a lawsuit in June 2013 against L.A. and Los Angeles World Airports, an agency of that city that operates the Ontario airport, Los Angeles International Airport and Van Nuys Airport.

The lawsuit aims to rescind or reform the terms of a 1967 agreement that gave control of the Ontario airport to L.A.

"Because the statutes of limitation of rescission and reformation are four and three years, respectively, Ontario's claims are more than 40 years late," according to a motion filed by Los Angeles on Sept. 10.

Andre Cronthall, the attorney representing Ontario, said he will ask that the court reserve a date to hear Ontario's cross-motion on the same day. Attorneys for Ontario will ask for the hearing to be held in late October, he said.

"Ontario's motion would be to have the court determine that the JPA and acquisition agreement should be terminated because, among other reasons, the agreements have no definite term," he said.

The 20-page motion raises arguments very similar to those that were made last year in LA's motion to dismiss Ontario's complaint. That motion was denied in its entirety.

In the motion, the attorneys for LA argue that the transfer of the airport was, in fact, a sale.

"Los Angeles is entitled to summary adjudication on Ontario's rescission and reformation claims because the claims were brought decades too late and are barred as a matter of law," the motion states. "While the question of whether Ontario may properly maintain an action for damages can await later determination, the time has come for a ruling that Ontario has not right to rescind or cancel the JPA or Acquisition Agreement, or to force Los Angeles to give up its title and transfer ONT back to Ontario."

In its lawsuit, Ontario claims LA and the agency have neglected and mismanaged the airport, suing for breach of contract and violation of its fiduciary duty.

Copyright 2014 - Inland Valley Daily Bulletin, Calif.

IT'S TIME FOR DODGER BASEBALL!!
redspork02 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2014, 05:03 PM   #212
EK413

1 year ago
[IMG]http://i58.************/2mfhzcz.jpg[/IMG]
http://www.airliners.net/photo//2501403/L/
[IMG]http://i58.************/n63tdz.jpg[/IMG]
http://www.airliners.net/photo/Unite...-ER/2503481/L/

Last edited by EK413; September 17th, 2014 at 05:17 PM.
EK413 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2014, 10:34 PM   #213
BoulderGrad

Such a pretty new terminal

Said it a couple times. Can you rebuild each other terminal 1 by 1 to be the same architectural style. 100% brand new airport, all the modern bells and whistles. Giggity
Old September 18th, 2014, 01:59 AM   #214
EK413

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoulderGrad View Post
Such a pretty new terminal Said it a couple times. Can you rebuild each other terminal 1 by 1 to be the same architectural style. 100% brand new airport, all the modern bells and whistles. Giggity
I agree, just flew out of AA Terminal & what a let down vs TBIT...
The new terminal is very welcoming and over due too...
Old September 18th, 2014, 03:11 AM   #215
niknak

Likes (Received): 319

Yes except the TBIT all the other terminals are embarrassing!
niknak no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2014, 03:39 PM   #216
EK413

[IMG]http://i59.************/2cdbaeo.jpg[/IMG]
http://cdn-www.airliners.net/aviatio.../9/2505950.jpg

renansanson, okach1, shakman liked this post
EK413 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2014, 02:44 AM   #217
LarsT
West Los Angeles

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
As a resident of Westchester, I can say that none of my neighbors (that I know of) want any kind of LAX expansion - LAX is large enough and we need an alternate airport somewhere else. New York has three major airports, but we only have one.

What I do not understand is why the El Toro Air Base in Irvine was not converted into an international airport - that would have alleviated the need to expand LAX, but it appears that residents of OC do not want an airport in their back yard either and would rather travel to LAX and cause congestion here.
LarsT no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2014, 07:09 PM   #218
BoulderGrad

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarsT View Post
As a resident of Westchester, I can say that none of my neighbors (that I know of) want any kind of LAX expansion - LAX is large enough and we need an alternate airport somewhere else. New York has three major airports, but we only have one.

What I do not understand is why the El Toro Air Base in Irvine was not converted into an international airport - that would have alleviated the need to expand LAX, but it appears that residents of OC do not want an airport in their back yard either and would rather travel to LAX and cause congestion here.
Both cases are the exact definition of NIMBY.
Everyone can agree that LA could do with more airport capacity, but no one wants to live near it.

LosAngelesSportsFan liked this post
BoulderGrad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2014, 12:59 AM   #219
LosAngelesSportsFan

Likes (Received): 860

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarsT View Post

one question... did you move there before or after LAX was built?

condor rojo liked this post
LosAngelesSportsFan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2014, 02:26 AM   #220
Buffalomatt1027

Likes (Received): 373

Quote:
Originally Posted by LosAngelesSportsFan View Post
one question... did you move there before or after LAX was built?
Yeah ....exactly! The people there CHOSE to live there! They have no right to complain!

I live near the Buffalo international airport ....clearly not as big as LAX. But locals complain about planes coming in late and what not. Those idiots chose to live near the airport. Its simple ....you dont want the noise ...dont live near the damn airport.

If you didnt take into account the noise or airport traffic.... you clearly arent well educated and a bad investment on your part.

LosAngelesSportsFan, davidgr96 liked this post
Buffalomatt1027 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
burbank, lax, long beach, los angeles, northamerica airport hubs, ontario, us airports