daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Photo Forums > Urban Showcase

Urban Showcase Show your selfmade photos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 5th, 2010, 12:29 PM   #141
SYDNEY

Likes (Received):

Quote:
Originally Posted by christos-greece View Post
No problem SYDNEY
Have a great day mate

Sponsored Links
Old September 5th, 2010, 12:35 PM   #142
SYDNEY

Likes (Received):

More news and pics of the damage caused by NZ' largest earthquake in 80 years can be viewed HERE

Last edited by SYDNEY; September 6th, 2010 at 11:05 PM.
Old September 5th, 2010, 01:32 PM   #143
Bristol Mike
Rain + Cold = England

Likes (Received): 2373

Holy crap that's terrible! Sympathies go out to those on the South Island!

I was going to say I just can't stop looking at this beautiful city because as you say the architecture is fantastic and it all seems so clean. I love the look of Byzantine architecture as there is so much of it here in Bristol. I just hope too much of it hasn't been badly damaged. I fear that people may just tear the rest of old buildings down instead of thinking how to rebuild them as they were.

Glad to hear there were no deaths in Christchurch!
Bristol Mike no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2010, 06:04 PM   #144
Taller, Better
Administrator

Likes (Received): 12279

We are all very sad and worried about what happened in your city and are hoping for the best! It is amazing that no one was killed, but the damage looks terrible.
Old September 5th, 2010, 06:59 PM   #145
charpentier

Likes (Received): 29848

My thoughts are with all those affected by the earthquake. The news broke my heart. But I have no doubt that with patience and courage Christchurch will become a magnificent city again.
charpentier no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2010, 11:52 PM   #146
Milan Luka
stupid sexy flanders

Likes (Received): 1174

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYDNEY View Post
Examples of the wonderful architecture in CHC .... let's hope that they are still standing .....

Like many people I got to look around immediately afterwards before the cordons came in. These photos were taken in the area that I got to see I can tell you that every single one of the buildings in these photos is damaged in some way. They are still standing yet have big cracks in them, masonry and glass fallen. Even the 15 story Westpac building, mostly hidden in the first photo its supporting columns are cracked all the way through to the roof. Surveyors are going through the city non stop putting red/yellow/green stickers on every building. Fingers crossed they are salvagable.
Old September 5th, 2010, 11:56 PM   #147
Milan Luka
stupid sexy flanders

Likes (Received): 1174

Quote:

Was very wierd walking down this street. Many of those very shopfronts were completely exposed. Everybody was just looking stunned. The glass doors were either opened or destroyed. I am amazed there was no looting. Maybe people are better than we give them credit for.
Old September 6th, 2010, 03:47 AM   #148
Andre_idol
Fluorescent Adolescent

Likes (Received): 431

First thought when I read the news...OH NO!!!...those beautiful buildings Sydney showed to us...I hope they are all ok! Then I watched images on the tv news... I was pretty stunned not only because of the destruction (altough quite understandable for the magnitude) but mainly because...no casualties! Some positive stuff out of all of this.

Apart from the not so good facts that Milan has been writing I´m pretty sure the city and NZ will recover from this and make that city glow again. And Sydney we´ll show that to us

All the best for the affected by it!
Old September 6th, 2010, 04:46 AM   #149
SYDNEY

Likes (Received):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bristol Mike View Post
Holy crap that's terrible! Sympathies go out to those on the South Island!

I was going to say I just can't stop looking at this beautiful city because as you say the architecture is fantastic and it all seems so clean. I love the look of Byzantine architecture as there is so much of it here in Bristol. I just hope too much of it hasn't been badly damaged. I fear that people may just tear the rest of old buildings down instead of thinking how to rebuild them as they were.

Glad to hear there were no deaths in Christchurch!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taller, Better View Post
We are all very sad and worried about what happened in your city and are hoping for the best! It is amazing that no one was killed, but the damage looks terrible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by charpentier View Post
My thoughts are with all those affected by the earthquake. The news broke my heart. But I have no doubt that with patience and courage Christchurch will become a magnificent city again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre_idol View Post
First thought when I read the news...OH NO!!!...those beautiful buildings Sydney showed to us...I hope they are all ok! Then I watched images on the tv news... I was pretty stunned not only because of the destruction (altough quite understandable for the magnitude) but mainly because...no casualties! Some positive stuff out of all of this.

Apart from the not so good facts that Milan has been writing I´m pretty sure the city and NZ will recover from this and make that city glow again. And Sydney we´ll show that to us

All the best for the affected by it!

Thanks for all the well wishes boys and for the concern, the Cantabrians will appreciate it immensely. They have already started tearing the badly damaged buildings down so that they don't collapse onto the neighboring structures ... it is very sad to see them come crashing down Now we wait and see if they will reconstruct them ..... bugger !!
Old September 6th, 2010, 04:49 AM   #150
SYDNEY

Likes (Received):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milan Luka View Post
Like many people I got to look around immediately afterwards before the cordons came in. These photos were taken in the area that I got to see I can tell you that every single one of the buildings in these photos is damaged in some way. They are still standing yet have big cracks in them, masonry and glass fallen. Even the 15 story Westpac building, mostly hidden in the first photo its supporting columns are cracked all the way through to the roof. Surveyors are going through the city non stop putting red/yellow/green stickers on every building. Fingers crossed they are salvagable.
Bugger !!!! I am crossing fingers and toes ... here's hoping that they are just cracks and not structural Have you been downtown to watch them tear the damaged buildings down ? take lots of tissues with
Old September 6th, 2010, 04:49 AM   #151
SYDNEY

Likes (Received):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milan Luka View Post
Was very wierd walking down this street. Many of those very shopfronts were completely exposed. Everybody was just looking stunned. The glass doors were either opened or destroyed. I am amazed there was no looting. Maybe people are better than we give them credit for.
Is it mostly glass / shop front windows broken or structural as well ?
Old September 6th, 2010, 04:55 AM   #152
Shezan
BANNED

Likes (Received): 593

very peaceful city
Shezan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2010, 06:09 AM   #153
Andre_idol
Fluorescent Adolescent

Likes (Received): 431

I just read a big storm is heading (or already passed?) Christchurch
Old September 6th, 2010, 11:39 AM   #154
Davee
A Christchurch Son

Likes (Received): 49

Thanks Sydney for all the pictures and reminding us of the beutiful side of the our city that needs to be saved.

I'm so glad that all my SSC brothers are safe and well - it's difficult enough dealing with it here sitting in the UK - what you guys have been through is just shocking - I still find it hard to believe - I just can't wait to get home in November.

To all you SSC guys out there - thanks for all your best wishes and paying some attention to our city and country.......I hope you will all be able to expecrience what we have to offer when you come and visit some time - YOU'LL BE MOST WELCOME

"Fide Condita, Fructu Beata, Spe Fortis"
"Founded in Faith, Rich in the Fruits of the Earth and Her Industry, Bold is Her Claim on the Future"

The Garden City
Davee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2010, 02:25 PM   #155
costa

Likes (Received): 638

Sad by the earthquake

But now hands to work and start rebuilding the city.
costa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2010, 03:56 PM   #156
Alphaville

Likes (Received): 375

Quote:
More news and pics of the damage caused by NZ' largest earthquake in 90 years can be viewed HERE
90 years??

What about the 7.8m Hawkes Bay quake in 1931 that killed 251..
Alphaville no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2010, 04:28 PM   #157
Jakes1
Jakes1

Likes (Received): 197

grateful there was no loss of life. A good friend of mine lives here - he was out of the country when the quake struck and he only gets to return today.
Jakes1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2010, 06:28 PM   #158
Nightsky
Illustrator

Likes (Received): 3763

A surprisingly beautiful city, too bad about the earthquake!

Website about my travels and buildings in USA and Europe -many cool pics:
http://www.worldtravelimages.net

All my diagram drawings - more than 700!:
http://skyscraperpage.com/diagrams/?14670510
Nightsky no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2010, 06:55 PM   #159
christos-greece
Moderator!

Likes (Received): 244519

I hope the city of Christchurch, to stand on "its feet" again soon
christos-greece no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2010, 11:12 PM   #160
SYDNEY

Likes (Received):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shezan View Post
very peaceful city
When everything is back to normal it will be

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre_idol View Post
I just read a big storm is heading (or already passed?) Christchurch
It has passed but it wasn't bad at all - they are very lucky considering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davee View Post
Thanks Sydney for all the pictures and reminding us of the beutiful side of the our city that needs to be saved.

I'm so glad that all my SSC brothers are safe and well - it's difficult enough dealing with it here sitting in the UK - what you guys have been through is just shocking - I still find it hard to believe - I just can't wait to get home in November.

To all you SSC guys out there - thanks for all your best wishes and paying some attention to our city and country.......I hope you will all be able to expecrience what we have to offer when you come and visit some time - YOU'LL BE MOST WELCOME
No worries sweet pea At least they are going to try to save as much as possible and I am sure that the new buildings will be incredible

Quote:
Originally Posted by costa View Post
Sad by the earthquake

But now hands to work and start rebuilding the city.
Thanks for your enthusiasm and the comment .... they have already started cleaning up and things are getting back to normal (as can be) slowly but surely

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakes1 View Post
grateful there was no loss of life. A good friend of mine lives here - he was out of the country when the quake struck and he only gets to return today.
Thanks Jakes .... let's hope that he doesn't find too much damage to his property ... all the best mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightsky View Post
A surprisingly beautiful city, too bad about the earthquake!
Why are you so surprised ? Thanks for the concern shown.

Quote:
Originally Posted by christos-greece View Post
I hope the city of Christchurch, to stand on "its feet" again soon
Thanks Christos ... the garden city will shine again