daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 25th, 2010, 07:09 PM   #1
CptSchmidt
Nova Scotian driver.

Likes (Received): 0

Inconsistent Signage

I couldn't find another thread that dealt with signage problems; if a moderator finds one, feel free to move.

In the HRM there are several signs around the MacKay Bridge on the 111 that need replacing. Just take a look at all these inconsistencies.

Two fonts and two different arrows.

Three fonts and three different arrows.

Next to the 111 after coming off the bridge is NS Trunk 2, and you can see these signs with, again, a different font and two different arrows.

Now back to what they're supposed to look like.

Here's an example of one of the many fading and illegible signs, this one on the 101 junction with the 102. It's supposed to read "102" and "SOUTH".

This is the exit 17 sign on the 107 heading east. This is the only sign for it. There is no westbound exit sign.

Here is a very bizarre setup on the 101. The 'km' addition at the bottom right; normally signs do not show that the distance is measured in kilometres. It looks like somebody thought there was a problem and just stuck it on.

And the standard appearance for NS signage. Note the missing top panel on the left sign. There are a few on the 111 that are missing panels.

Last edited by CptSchmidt; February 25th, 2010 at 07:15 PM.
CptSchmidt no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 25th, 2010, 09:51 PM   #2
Richie D.
Der Sklave der Republik

In Costa Rica, you'll find nothing but inconsistent signage. They don't have any standard norms according to which their manufacture their road signs, except the guideline that they have to be US style.
Old February 27th, 2010, 04:13 PM   #3
dars-dm
Cotton

Likes (Received): 17748

"Parking" and "No parking" signs
Как только проедят напечатанные амерами баблосы, нефтя будет падвацать, хас папиисяд, а толяр - пасто диривянных. И ражко сразу развалиццо. Патаму шо она сичаз разваливаиццо, хотя нефтя ещё не падвацать
dars-dm está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2010, 09:55 PM   #4
Patrick
✪ DWF ✪ Alaaf! ✪

Likes (Received): 888

considering different fonts, I'm sure I saw such an overhead-sign aroiund Luxemburg City today, too. Unfortunately I forgot to put a memory card into my camera
Patrick no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2010, 09:59 PM   #5
Timon91
Error

Likes (Received): 46

Doesn't your camera have an internal memory? My camera has an internal memory which store app. 15 pictures.
Old February 27th, 2010, 11:47 PM   #6
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19391

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
considering different fonts, I'm sure I saw such an overhead-sign aroiund Luxemburg City today, too. Unfortunately I forgot to put a memory card into my camera
Yeah, Luxembourg is a mix of all neighboring countries... every overhead can be different.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2010, 06:57 AM   #7
mubd
Maglev Bus to Matraville!

Likes (Received): 951

LOL at the badly made Helvetica fonted sign.

The speed limit signs on the Sydney-Newcastle Freeway in Australia either have too wide, perfect or too narrow numbers.
Other than that, every sign in Australia follows a design standard.
For example, these signs in Perth:

look about the same as these signs in Sydney, 3000km away.

IMHO, I think the US and Canada have the least consistent signs in the developed world.

Last edited by mubd; February 28th, 2010 at 07:17 AM.
mubd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2010, 12:22 PM   #8
christos-greece
Moderator!

Likes (Received): 244517

Quote:
Originally Posted by dars-dm View Post
"Parking" and "No parking" signs
The most singes of "parking" are blue, but i have seen some rare white signs of that in Greece
christos-greece no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2010, 01:49 PM   #9
dars-dm
Cotton

Likes (Received): 17748

I mean that these signs exclude each other
Как только проедят напечатанные амерами баблосы, нефтя будет падвацать, хас папиисяд, а толяр - пасто диривянных. И ражко сразу развалиццо. Патаму шо она сичаз разваливаиццо, хотя нефтя ещё не падвацать
dars-dm está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2010, 09:11 PM   #10
-Pino-
Funkin' down the Track

Likes (Received): 127

Quote:
Originally Posted by mubd View Post
IMHO, I think the US and Canada have the least consistent signs in the developed world.
Then you have never been in Italy. Or you have, but have a very restricted definition of "developed world".
Old March 1st, 2010, 08:54 AM   #11
CptSchmidt
Nova Scotian driver.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mubd View Post
LOL at the badly made Helvetica fonted sign.

Wow.... you'd think somebody would have noticed. It's when you see things like this that you have to wonder who's putting these up.

And I agree that Canada and US signage is terrible. I think it's time Canada overhauls how it signs things. Transport is a provincial responsibility so, really, every province could have different signage if it wanted to. Though it's best to have the whole country following the same standard, I think our signs are dated and need modernising (no matter where you are in Canada).
Old March 1st, 2010, 10:49 AM   #12
Richie D.
Der Sklave der Republik

If you think Canada and the US have the most inconsistent signage, you're all wrong! Costa Rica has the most inconsistent signage. They can't decide on a font, they don't have real standards (except just that it should be US style no matter what, etc.). For the theoretical exam, you don't even learn the meaning of each sign, you just have to know the sign type (e.g. advisory, restrictions, etc.) while e.g. in Germany, you learn that the stop-sign is officially called "Halt! Vorfahrt gewähren!".

This is why I always say that all countries should adopt European signage guidelines, because I feel that, in comparison with the US standards, the European signage with the triangles and based on pictogrammes instead of written words is much easier to learn and understand.