daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers General news, discussion and announcement forum about skyscrapers, including the Skyscraper Living forum

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 1st, 2015, 01:49 PM   #661
WingWing

Likes (Received): 6789

Quote:
Originally Posted by nameless dude View Post
I wouldn't say Melbourne's skyline is small at all for Australian standards. In fact I think it could be the largest Australian skyline in terms of land area. The thing is because of that it also means that the skyscrapers are generally rather spread out into several clusters and from some angles it could look a bit lacking in density. So for now you could say that Sydney has quite a dense skyline but is a bit lacking in height, while Melbourne has the height and scale but is a bit lacking in density, which perhaps explains why I've heard a few people say that Sydney looks better from up close while Melbourne looks better from afar.

Don't expect Melbourne to remain the same for very long though. There's currently 37 200m+ proposals/UC, including 2 supertalls which combined with the already built would take the total tally of buildings 200 metres or above in height to 46. Even if they don't all get built it's still an insane amount for a skyline of its size.
Yes jakarta and melbourne has the potential within next ten years.

Melbourne i believe will overtake sydney soon. If not because melbourne lack density and spread skyline, it would topple sydney as melbourne has better skyscrapers. Loves the eureka tower which its design resemble thermometer and has an observation deck to check out the whole Melbourne

I last visited melbourne in 2011. Would love to visit again

Sponsored Links
Old November 1st, 2015, 02:06 PM   #662
nameless dude

Likes (Received): 838

Agree with the Eureka! Tastes and opinions are all subjective of course but I really don't get how some people seem to hate that tower, even if the gold's a little faded by now. Imo the reflective blue and gold glass is a perfect combo and all the sharp angles and chiseled edges running along the height of the tower looks stunning in person. My favourite tower in Aus in fact.
nameless dude no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2015, 02:49 PM   #663
WingWing

That gold makes the tower more beautiful especially in the sunset as my hotel room facing that tower. So day and night i see the beauty of eureka
Old November 2nd, 2015, 02:09 PM   #664
fish.01

Likes (Received): 536

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingWing View Post
That gold makes the tower more beautiful especially in the sunset as my hotel room facing that tower. So day and night i see the beauty of eureka
A bit of trivia about the Eureka building:

Source: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...alian_Flag.jpg

The gold represents the gold rush that made 19th century melbourne one of the richest cities in the world.

The red stripe represents the blood spilled during the Eureka Stockade...a well known historical uprising in Australia where gold miners rose up against colonial police for worker rights.

They flew the following flag, which is also represented in the colours of the Eureka tower:

This flag still holds as a political symbol in Australia today.

WingWing liked this post
fish.01 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2015, 03:40 PM   #665
Galactic Ruler

Likes (Received): 511

Quote:
Agree that southern hemisphere cities are rather weak in skyline. Luckily singapore located in northern hemisphere or else would topple other cities in hemisphere haha
Actually I disagree, it's not Shenzhen or Hong Kong. Regardless of your like for Singapore it really has nothing worthy of discussion. Not even sure why you mention it, it has no relevance to this thread.

BTW Having a ludicrous number of cookie cutter residential towers and extremely disappointing height restrictions across the entire city really limits Singapore's potential. Without the building of MBS the city would be a non starter it's the only thing that's saved it, and added some interest to what is an extremely boring and generic skyline and city. It is well planned though which at least is something. One cannot say the same for any city in Indonesia.

I am not the biggest flag-waver or supporter of Australian skylines and can be quite critical but to most, Australia's skylines kill the rest of the Southern Hemisphere. Most of them other than those in Australia and NZ with the exception of BZ and Santiago look third world ... chaotic, poorly planned with the majority of stock low quality and lacking height. There are Sydney suburbs that have more impressive skylines than some of the cities posted from Indonesia.

Quote:
Melbourne i believe will overtake Sydney soon. If not because Melbourne lack density and spread skyline, it would topple sydney as melbourne has better skyscrapers.
Good luck with that. Arguably, Sydney has won significantly more international architectural awards than Melbourne and other cities in the Southern Hemisphere, I guess many professional architects disagree with your assessment.

Last edited by Avatar; November 2nd, 2015 at 03:52 PM.
Avatar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2015, 04:06 PM   #666
WingWing

If u look at the map, singapore located in the equator line unlike hk or shenzhen

And in my opinion mbs isnt the main highlight of singapore skyline. The financial cbd itself is a beauty with majority are glassy and modern. Despite height restriction, the 4 tallest which stand above 280m is almost the same height as eureka. And talking about quantity, singapore has more highrises and even skyscraper above 200m compared to sydney and melbourne COMBINED.

But yah if without singapore australian skyline would dominate southern hemisphere
Old November 2nd, 2015, 04:33 PM   #667
andegwa

Likes (Received): 2782

And since for whatever reason African cities don't typically make it into this thread, I will add Nairobi

Nairobi Skyline

Mind you the above pictures only show what is essentially a fraction of the skyline which is pretty spread out. In a few more years when a few of the gaps are filled in, the skyline of this city will be a staple of this top 5 list... you can book that!!
Old November 2nd, 2015, 04:42 PM   #668
Galactic Ruler

@Wing Wing ...

No it's located in the Northern Hemisphere and yes I have been there numerous times including only 2 weeks ago, I think we all know where it is. It might be located near the equator but regardless it has no relevance to this thread no more than including Shanghai, Hong Kong, New York. We have drawn an arbitrary line and it doesn't make the cut.

Singapore has amazing density with a massive number or skyscrapers but the skyline for me has plateaued too much and lacks the interest created by at least a single signature tower. I stand by MBS providing the interest but unfortunately it's closed in the bay and blocks the skyline views from some angles. The new towers are all bunched up into a clusterfvck along Marina Boulevard and the CBD looks bad from some angles now. A single supertall would really add to the skyline.

Last edited by Avatar; November 2nd, 2015 at 05:02 PM.
Old November 2nd, 2015, 04:46 PM   #669
nameless dude

I wouldn't fuss too much about Wingwing's statement. It's more of an opinion than anything else

Sydney and Melbourne combined has 19 200m+ buildings and there's currently 7-8 demo and u/c in Melbourne and 1 in Sydney. According to wiki Singapore currently has 16 200m+. The thing is when you have high rise dominated cities like Singapore, Hong Kong or Sao Paolo where you're constantly surrounded by them, the high rises start to lose their appeal because they're there on every street and corner. And maybe because of that you also realise that a lot less effort goes into them architecturally to make them stand out. It's evident when about perhaps 80-90% of the buildings in those high rise cities are all whitewashed, of a similar height and similar looking. When you're accustomed to one of those cities you start looking at high rises the same way you would look at a freestanding house in a western city. I feel that in those cities most of the high rises form more of a general landscape than an identifiable skyline.

I think the key ingredients in making an appealing skyline besides the architecture, is that it has to stand out from its surroundings (ie it has to be significantly taller than its surroundings so that you can actually see and identify it), and it has to have enough height variation to make a sort of an identifiable shape. Which cities fit that bill is completely subjective so I'll leave that for you guys to decide.

Avatar, PaPa Riddlz liked this post

Last edited by nameless dude; November 3rd, 2015 at 12:42 AM.
Old November 2nd, 2015, 04:58 PM   #670
WingWing

200m plus is good because too tall or too short would cause inbalance to the skyline just like dubai with so many supertalls yet lose its charm or sao paulo with no buildings above 200m.

And dun use wiki i think its better to use skyscraperpage which is more updated and has diagram to show designs of the buildings of tallest.

And @avatar singapore skyline is getting big thats why many buildings are blocked by the view. Theres one tanjong pagar centre almost topping off at 290m and once completed u can come over and enjoy the skyline situated in between.

Ok think this is getting OT guys. So sorry. Back to topic.

Jakarta also has numerous buildings above 200m unfortunately lack of proper planning as they situated far from one another.

renshapratama liked this post
WingWing no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2015, 05:02 PM   #671
nameless dude

Quote:
200m plus is good because too tall or too short would cause inbalance to the skyline just like dubai with so many supertalls yet lose its charm or sao paulo with no buildings above 200m.
I don't think there's any definite height. A swathe of 200m buildings would probably form more of a landscape than an identifiable skyline the same way as a swathe of 100m or 500m or 2 storey buildings would. See my point above.
Old November 2nd, 2015, 05:05 PM   #672
Galactic Ruler

Swimming in the MBS pool looking at the skyline at night is certainly enjoyable. It has to be the best pool in the world for skyscraper lovers.

WingWing liked this post
Old November 3rd, 2015, 12:31 AM   #673
the_kingkong

Likes (Received): 975

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaPa Riddlz View Post
That list is purely based upon how many tall towers a city has.

It has nothing to do with archtecture, build quality, aesthetics, beautiful natural settings and skyline cohesion, all of which are just as, if not more important for a skyline & all of which Jakarta either fails or is subpar on.

You honestly think SAU PAULO!!, chongqing and half a dozen other Chinese cities have a nicer skyline than Sydney?
I prefer those chinese cities skyline rathen than australian cities. Yes, Australian cities have better city planning, clustered, they are so tidy and most of them have good setting. But, talking about skyline alone, for me east Asian cities like chinese cities or some SEA cities such as Singapore, Jakarta, KL or Bangkok are more powerful, combination of modern architecture, height, density and big skyline. Not to mention the higher economic growth in emerging market of east asian countries which correlate with faster property growth in their cities.

Wing-wing put Sydney no. 1, not being chauvinist as I admit Jakarta still lags behind from and not as great as some of its counterparts in East Asia, but I chose Jakarta over Sydney or Melbourne for skyline alone. Sorry, no offense, I have visited Australia several times, I love Australian cities, the skyline and everything else, and the cities are by far more livable than most of East Asian cities.

Last edited by the_kingkong; November 3rd, 2015 at 12:44 AM.
the_kingkong no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2015, 01:19 AM   #674
PaPa Riddlz
Registered Alcoholic

Likes (Received): 4100

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_kingkong View Post
I prefer those chinese cities skyline rathen than australian cities. Yes, Australian cities have better city planning, clustered, they are so tidy and most of them have good setting. But, talking about skyline alone, for me east Asian cities like chinese cities or some SEA cities such as Singapore, Jakarta, KL or Bangkok are more powerful, combination of modern architecture, height, density and big skyline. Not to mention the higher economic growth in emerging market of east asian countries which correlate with faster property growth in their cities.
By all means have your own preferences for a skyline but can I appeal to you that there's more than simply size and density? it's just a recipe for monotonous ugliness and it baffles me that people can't see that. Sure they have height and if by "modern architecture" you mean a sea of concrete blocks with a couple of decent towers sprinkled in, I'd agree. In my opinion a good skyline needs more than that, there's a reason why NY and Hong Kong stand out from the rest.

My rating looks at 7 factors

1. Good overall architectural quality
2. Height Variation( which also necessitates a skyline is of a certain size)
3. Tall Buildings( At least 1 building > 400m)
4. Focal Point(At least 1 central core or cluster which stands out)
5. Natural Setting or constraint( River/Ocean/Bay/Lake/Hills)
6. Density/ Skyline Size
7. Urban Planning

For me, a good skyline should have at least 5 of these factors.

Take New York which passes with flying colours on all counts(7/7)

Sydney gets by on 6/7 lacking a tall building and I give Melbourne 5/7 taking off a point for lack of tall buildings and a point for lacking density.

and then Jakarta: poor overall architectural quality, currently lacks decent height variation, no focal point, no natural setting and poor urban planning. So 1/7 for Jakarta for having Density and 2/7 for when they get one of their proposed 400m+ towers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Dawn
Communism and Capitalism are tools/weapons of the Illuminati.

WingWing, Kadzman liked this post

Last edited by PaPa Riddlz; November 3rd, 2015 at 02:02 AM.
PaPa Riddlz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2015, 05:35 AM   #675
the_kingkong

Likes (Received): 975

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaPa Riddlz View Post
By all means have your own preferences for a skyline but can I appeal to you that there's more than simply size and density? it's just a recipe for monotonous ugliness and it baffles me that people can't see that. Sure they have height and if by "modern architecture" you mean a sea of concrete blocks with a couple of decent towers sprinkled in, I'd agree. In my opinion a good skyline needs more than that, there's a reason why NY and Hong Kong stand out from the rest.

My rating looks at 7 factors

1. Good overall architectural quality
2. Height Variation( which also necessitates a skyline is of a certain size)
3. Tall Buildings( At least 1 building > 400m)
4. Focal Point(At least 1 central core or cluster which stands out)
5. Natural Setting or constraint( River/Ocean/Bay/Lake/Hills)
6. Density/ Skyline Size
7. Urban Planning

For me, a good skyline should have at least 5 of these factors.

Take New York which passes with flying colours on all counts(7/7)

Sydney gets by on 6/7 lacking a tall building and I give Melbourne 5/7 taking off a point for lack of tall buildings and a point for lacking density.

and then Jakarta: poor overall architectural quality, currently lacks decent height variation, no focal point, no natural setting and poor urban planning. So 1/7 for Jakarta for having Density and 2/7 for when they get one of their proposed 400m+ towers.
Yeah bro, it is your own factor, I have mine too:
1. Design
2. Height
3. Focal point
4. Setting
5. Density
6. Size
7. Variation
8. Modern looking overall

If I give score to each factor, Jakarta is lacking on number 3 and 4, it gets 5/10 and 3/10 respectively. Overall, Jakarta has higher score for the others than Sydney does. After all, the most important one, to my taste Jakarta skyline from some angles are a way more powerful than Sydney. Again, Jakarta is lagging compared to some of its east asian counterparts.

If you say architectural-wise is poor, for me many of them in Jakarta have more modern glassy design than in Sydney. Urban-planning does not really get my attention, Shanghai is not as good as New York or Melbourne in terms of urban planing (and so are other Chinese cities I believe), but to my taste the skyline is more appealing than any American (except new york maybe) or Australian cities.

New York is boring. Very big skyline, amazing setting, well clustered, and super high density, but it does not appeal me when my impression to most of buildings are looked old, brown, gigantic concrette block and monotenous. Some new supertalls do not help much. Hong kong or even Shanghai is much better to my taste. Out of topic.

At the end it is personal taste and everyone has different view. I note some forumers on the other threads saying Chinese skyline is modern and massive but ugly, and they prefer those small or tiny but ultra modern architecture and centralized skylines in some European cities, while some others stand to differ.

Dito Roso liked this post

Last edited by the_kingkong; November 3rd, 2015 at 06:01 AM.
the_kingkong no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2015, 09:16 PM   #676
JuanPaulo
Guayaquil Vive Por Ti!

Likes (Received): 32134

Jakarta, Indonesia

Jakarta Daylight - Central Business District by Abdul Azis, on Flickr

Raj20, mw123, Jack Fruit, Dito Roso liked this post
JuanPaulo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2015, 09:23 PM   #677
mw123

Likes (Received): 2671

Premium Seats - Sydney by Ludovic ETES, on Flickr
mw123 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2015, 05:05 AM   #678
WingWing

Did the mod delete my pics?

Jack Fruit, Dito Roso liked this post
WingWing no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2015, 05:48 PM   #679
renshapratama
Travel Enthusiast

Likes (Received): 2716

Quote:
Did the mod delete my pics?
lol, what happened with moderator? Those are nice pics

Share your best pic on Instagram in here http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1992105

WingWing, Jack Fruit liked this post
renshapratama no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2015, 05:56 PM   #680
Mrling

Likes (Received): 0

The Skyline really beautiful
Mrling no está en línea   Reply With Quote