search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Fun Forums > Space, Science & Technology

Space, Science & Technology shaping tomorrow's world

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 28th, 2014, 05:56 PM   #1
Shaddorry
Futurologist

Likes (Received): 694

Futurology | Imagine the world of tomorrow

So I saw this advertising by Lockheed Martin on facebook and I thought, why not start a futurology thread? Imagine how tomorrow will look like. How will housing and technology look like? What will our daily routine consist of? Where and how will we live? How will peace and war look like? How will politics be?

Lockheed Martin imagines tomorrow, by showing us a home on Mars, "of-the-edge"-technology and a futuristic city:

Dr. Michio Kaku thinks of 3 types of civilization:

We can fantasise about these questions and all think about our own tomorrow.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
-

The moon:
Shaddorry no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 28th, 2014, 08:21 PM   #2
TowerVerre:)

Likes (Received): 1335

Really interesting, watch it if you are interested and have 1 hour time

inno4321, sidways liked this post
TowerVerre:) no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2014, 08:26 PM   #3
Shaddorry
Futurologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by TowerVerre:) View Post
Really interesting, watch it if you are interested and have 1 hour time
Yeah... too bad I've already seen it. But thanks for posting anyway. It could be interesting for the newbies that want to learn more about futurology.

-
-

The moon:

TowerVerre:) liked this post
Old July 29th, 2014, 06:30 AM   #4
TowerVerre:)

Likes (Received): 1335

If you havn't done it, then read his book "The pysics of the future"

Shaddorry liked this post
TowerVerre:) no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2014, 12:44 PM   #5
inno4321

Likes (Received): 11646

awesome future mind! human mankind develop by those who like a future mind people.

Actually I saw michio kaku's documentary in Netgeo channel. and read his book with korean(i don't know wha exact title name of book with english)
I heard mars onetime similar environment like a earth I believe mars can be like earth environment step by step.

though i believe we are only one intelligent life in whole universe.(just my poor opinions) we must explore universe itself and expand our presence until outside solar system.

TowerVerre:), Equario liked this post
inno4321 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2014, 11:41 PM   #6
Shaddorry
Futurologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by inno4321 View Post
awesome future mind! human mankind develop by those who like a future mind people.

Actually I saw michio kaku's documentary in Netgeo channel. and read his book with korean(i don't know wha exact title name of book with english)
I heard mars onetime similar environment like a earth I believe mars can be like earth environment step by step.

though i believe we are only one intelligent life in whole universe.(just my poor opinions) we must explore universe itself and expand our presence until outside solar system.
Yes you're right. mankind indeed develops on minds that are set on the future. Too bad that futurology isn't a subject in most universities. That's why I considered to write about it, to gain more interest in this kind of science. Today I actually thought about this: Can futurology be called science or more a hobby? Well I came to the conclusion that futurology is kind of the same like meteorology. You predict the atmosphere of living in the future. And then you add philosophy to get a total image. It is also math with very few cyphers, so yes, the conclusion is that futurology is science.

-
-

The moon:

inno4321 liked this post
Old July 31st, 2014, 01:51 AM   #7
GodIsNotGreat

Likes (Received): 913

What interested me in science and technology were futurist thinkers Isaac Asimov and Sir Arthur Clarke.

Alvin Toffler too.

Musings about the future excites the imagination.

Shaddorry liked this post
GodIsNotGreat no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2014, 04:26 AM   #8
inno4321

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaddorry View Post
Yes you're right. mankind indeed develops on minds that are set on the future. Too bad that futurology isn't a subject in most universities. That's why I considered to write about it, to gain more interest in this kind of science. Today I actually thought about this: Can futurology be called science or more a hobby? Well I came to the conclusion that futurology is kind of the same like meteorology. You predict the atmosphere of living in the future. And then you add philosophy to get a total image. It is also math with very few cyphers, so yes, the conclusion is that futurology is science.

gogerous allegory. agree futurology is kind of the same like meteorology.
we must predict our future with science more optimistic.

That's reason why i like skyscraper(city develop) and science and technology and universe. they are all of them make me dream.

Equario liked this post
Old July 31st, 2014, 04:29 AM   #9
inno4321

Quote:
Originally Posted by TowerVerre:) View Post
If you havn't done it, then read his book "The pysics of the future"

A while ago i saw his interviews in NBC.
i love his clear speaking style. i impressed that he know what he saying.
I heard that "The pysics of the future"is best seller in usa. i hope his book translated to korean as soon as possible.

TowerVerre:), Shaddorry liked this post
Old July 31st, 2014, 06:20 PM   #10
Shaddorry
Futurologist

Well...
Now that everybody understands what futurology is about, one of the first thing I always do is watching a syfy movie or playing a syfy game. Don't get me wrong though, I do not just watch or play them for fun, I investigate the possibilities and the science behind the movie or a game. Some of the best and very realistic movies are: "Avatar", "I, Robot", "Ender's Game" and "Elysium". And so far, there has been only one syfy game that I found very realistic, it was "Mass Effect." They sure have some mistakes here and there... But the total image of the science and the story just fell completely into place.
Now, the Star Wars saga are good movies, but to investigate it in terms of futurology, it's more like a far-fetched-syfy fairytale. Star Trek is also a good movie, but it's day's are over. Ok, Star trek made us invent the mobile phone, computers, and the automatic doors, and learned us that inter racial relationships are ok, but that's about it for now. I don't think that we can learn more from it.

-
-

The moon:
Old July 31st, 2014, 06:56 PM   #11
Shaddorry
Futurologist

What the far future of space mining could look like

When it's time to colonize space, we will need space miners to provide with the minerals and gases needed to build massive ships and refuel stations across the Solar System. There are serious companies already working on it—and concept designer Cuba Lee has imagined how this would look in moons, asteroids, and gas planets.

It's clear that, if we survive our own self-destruction instincts—Humanity will become Galactus. And the universe will be its grand buffet.

Cuba Lee is a professional freelance concept artist based in Pasadena, California. You can follow him in Art Station and his blog.

-
-

The moon:
Old July 31st, 2014, 06:59 PM   #12
Shaddorry
Futurologist

To Colonize Another Planet, Send 40,000 Humans

Bigthink.Com

What's the Latest?

Any human population sent from Earth to colonize another planet--whether it be Mars, a moon of Jupiter, or a rock beyond our solar system--should number from 20,000 to 40,000 people. According to a new study by Portland State University anthropologist Cameron Smith, "such a large group would possess a great deal of genetic and demographic diversity, giving the settlement the best chance of survival during the long space voyage and beyond." While previous estimates have put the number substantially lower--around 4,000--Smith argues that any human endeavor should be designed to succeed, not merely to get by on shoestring.

What's the Big Idea?

The strongest reason for a large colonizing mission has to do with genetics. According to Smith, mammalian populations on Earth rarely dip below 5,000 because of the genetic paucity that results. It may also be possible to send eggs and sperm on board but Smith did not seriously consider this possibility in his study. Instead, he looked to simulate our terrestrial experience of community on a long space voyage--and it would be long. Tesearchers at Icarus Instellar, a nonprofit organization dedicated to pursuing travel to another star assume that any such voyage would last at least 150 years.

-
-

The moon:

FDripping liked this post
Old July 31st, 2014, 09:18 PM   #13
Bond James Bond
Licence to kill.

I'm begging to develop this hypothesis that, in maybe 100-200 years or so, society will evolve toward what I call an "advanced primitive" state. The world will be computerized, virtualized, mechanized, nano-ized and roboticized up the kazoo, but the humans themselves will tend to go around living in some sort of pseudo-paleolithic existence. We'll be wearing togas, loincloths and bearskins, we will have huge amounts of leisure (or other non-work) time which will largely be spent having sex and tending our families of an average of 5 kids, we will spend huge amounts of time hiking and camping in the woods and doing other outdoorsy-things ... all the while we have our virtual reality things on our heads and communicate and do our "work" via those devices while we're enjoying our recreational activities. Most people will live in huge, high-tech cities, but they will not act like they live in a huge, high-tech city. Think of pseudo-cavemen living on Coruscant. Or even some kind of pseudo-Amish who have simultaneously adopted technology, but who do not live as if they have.

The reason I see a scenario like this is because all the technology will free us up from doing so much drudge work, that it will enable us to live lives like our ancestors lived. Imagine if you only had to work 20 hours a week to earn the eqivalent of $100K/year, and had robots and nanotech do everything for you, what would you do with all that time? Since we're only about 10,000 years removed from a lifestyle like that, being able to go back to living like that will feel "natural" to a lot of people, so they will do it because they can.

And even though most people will live in big, high-tech cities, nanotech and other technologies (e.g. biotech) will free up lots of land to revert to nature. So there will be plenty of wild land in which to let us act out our inner caveman. Or, lacking that, I suppose we'd do a lot of that in some sort of holodeck thing.

A variation of that scenario would be something that looks like out of a fantasy novel but is actually high tech. Imagine a society that looks like Lord of the Rings (complete with geneticallly engineered humans and beasts ) but is really very high tech. Like a kind of "Advanced Medieval" society.
Old August 1st, 2014, 12:08 AM   #14
Shaddorry
Futurologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond James Bond View Post
I'm begging to develop this hypothesis that, in maybe 100-200 years or so, society will evolve toward what I call an "advanced primitive" state. The world will be computerized, virtualized, mechanized, nano-ized and roboticized up the kazoo, but the humans themselves will tend to go around living in some sort of pseudo-paleolithic existence. We'll be wearing togas, loincloths and bearskins, we will have huge amounts of leisure (or other non-work) time which will largely be spent having sex and tending our families of an average of 5 kids, we will spend huge amounts of time hiking and camping in the woods and doing other outdoorsy-things ... all the while we have our virtual reality things on our heads and communicate and do our "work" via those devices while we're enjoying our recreational activities. Most people will live in huge, high-tech cities, but they will not act like they live in a huge, high-tech city.
I understand the world that you imagine. It's some kind of combination of the lifestyles from the movies The Matrix, Surrogates and Wall-E. Am I right?

-
-

The moon:
Old August 1st, 2014, 12:16 AM   #15
tedthearchct43
Certified Gamer

Likes (Received): 6

This thread is exciting and well....scary at the same time - I'm pertaining to the far future of space mining. I don't know but that's just me.
tedthearchct43 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2014, 12:46 AM   #16
Shaddorry
Futurologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedthearchct43 View Post
This thread is exciting and well....scary at the same time - I'm pertaining to the far future of space mining. I don't know but that's just me.
It sounds like a cool job to be a space miner though...

-
-

The moon:
Old August 1st, 2014, 01:26 AM   #17
Shaddorry
Futurologist

Upgrade Your Brain: Liquid Hard Drive Implants Could Increase Intellect

Storing photos, documents and other files in brain-implantable liquid could one day be a reality after researchers discovered a new method of storing data in microscopic particles suspended in a solution.

Scientists at the University of Michigan realised that digital information could be stored on colloidal clusters after observing them switch between two states - such as the 0s and 1s of traditional bits - when placed in a liquid.

A research paper detailing the team's findings, entitled Digital Colloids: Reconfigurable Clusters as High Information Density Elements, was recently published in the journal Soft Matter.

"We wanted to demonstrate that it would be possible to store information in a new way that's different to traditional silicon chips by using nanoparticles," Sharon Glotzer, a chemical engineer at the University of Michigan who led the research, tells IBTimes UK.

Glotzer uses the analogy of a Rubik's cube to describe how the storage works. If you imagine nanoparticles like the colours of the cube, all are attached to a central sphere that could twist and turn in different ways in order to arrange all of them.

"If we could enumerate all of those different patterns - or states - and understand how you can go from one state to another, then it would be possible to encode information," says Glotzer. "The more colours you can have, the more states you can have, and the more states you can have, the more information you can store."

In theory, a spoonful of water containing these nanoparticles could store up to a terabytes worth of data.

Brain implants
This novel type of data storage, referred to by Glotzer as "wet computing", is able to make use of biocompatible nanoparticles that could be used within - and in tandem with - the human body.

One practical application could be simply as a sensor. Nanoparticle clusters could be introduced into the bloodstream to detect, for example, glucose levels in order to assist diabetes sufferers.

Another implementation, which could potentially be realised within a few years, would be as "passive sensors". These could replace use-by-dates on food wrappers by signaling when food is spoiled by changing colour.

"This field of wet computing is so nascent, it's really at the very beginning and so this digital coloid idea is really just the first tiny step in a new direction and a new approach to computing and high density information storage," Glotzer says. "It could make it possible for having different kinds of human computer interfaces or biologically friendly neural implants."

Although Glotzer acknowledges that such ideas are purely speculative for the moment, these neural implants could potentially be used to assist the human brain in accessing additional information or calculating computational tasks without needing to touch a calculator. This would allow individuals to learn and absorb information at unprecedented rates.

"Of course, that would take all the fun out of reading books and working things out yourself," says Glotzer. "But you could learn stuff super fast."

-
-

The moon:
Old August 1st, 2014, 02:54 AM   #18
Bond James Bond
Licence to kill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaddorry View Post
I understand the world that you imagine. It's some kind of combination of the lifestyles from the movies The Matrix, Surrogates and Wall-E. Am I right?
I'm only familiar with The Matrix. Don't know about the other two.

It wouldn't be a dystopian future either, imagine something like Adam and Even in the Garden of Eden, but the Garden of Eden is an almost organically technological collection of robots, nanotech, virtual systems and who-knows-what-else. But the people would still be like "Adam and Eve." And the reason they'd be like that is because they can.

Maybe something like the Star Trek TNG episode "Justice". That's not quite what I'm thinking, but sort-of close.

Fotografer liked this post
Bond James Bond no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2014, 03:17 AM   #19
AnOldBlackMarble
read lightship chronicles

Likes (Received): 4497

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond James Bond View Post
I'm begging to develop this hypothesis that, in maybe 100-200 years or so, society will evolve toward what I call an "advanced primitive" state. The world will be computerized, virtualized, mechanized, nano-ized and roboticized up the kazoo, but the humans themselves will tend to go around living in some sort of pseudo-paleolithic existence. We'll be wearing togas, loincloths and bearskins, we will have huge amounts of leisure (or other non-work) time which will largely be spent having sex and tending our families of an average of 5 kids, we will spend huge amounts of time hiking and camping in the woods and doing other outdoorsy-things ... all the while we have our virtual reality things on our heads and communicate and do our "work" via those devices while we're enjoying our recreational activities. Most people will live in huge, high-tech cities, but they will not act like they live in a huge, high-tech city. Think of pseudo-cavemen living on Coruscant. Or even some kind of pseudo-Amish who have simultaneously adopted technology, but who do not live as if they have.

The reason I see a scenario like this is because all the technology will free us up from doing so much drudge work, that it will enable us to live lives like our ancestors lived. Imagine if you only had to work 20 hours a week to earn the eqivalent of $100K/year, and had robots and nanotech do everything for you, what would you do with all that time? Since we're only about 10,000 years removed from a lifestyle like that, being able to go back to living like that will feel "natural" to a lot of people, so they will do it because they can.

And even though most people will live in big, high-tech cities, nanotech and other technologies (e.g. biotech) will free up lots of land to revert to nature. So there will be plenty of wild land in which to let us act out our inner caveman. Or, lacking that, I suppose we'd do a lot of that in some sort of holodeck thing.

A variation of that scenario would be something that looks like out of a fantasy novel but is actually high tech. Imagine a society that looks like Lord of the Rings (complete with geneticallly engineered humans and beasts ) but is really very high tech. Like a kind of "Advanced Medieval" society.
It is this concept that made me fall in love with the tv show Stargate SG-1. Check out the Nox. You can watch the full episode here.

Last edited by AnOldBlackMarble; August 1st, 2014 at 03:22 AM.
AnOldBlackMarble no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2014, 03:43 AM   #20
Bond James Bond
Licence to kill.

^
I got a malware warning on your link.