daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Fun Forums > Space, Science & Technology

Space, Science & Technology shaping tomorrow's world



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old March 7th, 2015, 11:48 AM   #1
fountainkopf
Registered User
 
fountainkopf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 374
Likes (Received): 54

Conspiracy nuts think CO2 does not cause global warming.

At the 08:00 on this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_u81qXOYfKg

CO2 is a sign of climate change !
__________________
My nick is not an Ayn Rand glorification, but a homage to real geniuses in building art !


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

bnk liked this post
fountainkopf no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
 
Old March 7th, 2015, 12:22 PM   #2
Kyll.Ing.
Registered User
 
Kyll.Ing.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Trondheim
Posts: 531
Likes (Received): 1060

The world's leading scientific organizations and all their evidence can just go to bed. YouTube Academy has spoken...

Can't you at least put a little more effort into a thread, rather than just post a link and expect us all to put on sound, lie back and watch it?

That argument at 08:00 is long since debunked, by the way.

Try harder next time.
__________________
Poe's law: You can't impersonate stupidity without somebody mistaking it for the real thing.

will101, wjfox liked this post
Kyll.Ing. no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2015, 01:59 PM   #3
fountainkopf
Registered User
 
fountainkopf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 374
Likes (Received): 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyll.Ing. View Post
The world's leading scientific organizations and all their evidence can just go to bed. YouTube Academy has spoken...

Can't you at least put a little more effort into a thread, rather than just post a link and expect us all to put on sound, lie back and watch it?

That argument at 08:00 is long since debunked, by the way.

Try harder next time.
BBC broadcasted a program in the seventies where swedish scientist claimed that CO2 causes global warming.

We know for sure the CO2 does not cause it...it is rather an effect what global warming causes. CO2 is needed to grow trees etc.

You have to dig deeper to see it.

Only very few scientist claim that CO2 causes the climate change.


I recommend to watch these documents really carefully;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52Mx0_8YEtg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4LkMweOVOOI
__________________
My nick is not an Ayn Rand glorification, but a homage to real geniuses in building art !


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by fountainkopf; March 7th, 2015 at 05:07 PM.
fountainkopf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2015, 02:21 PM   #4
Kyll.Ing.
Registered User
 
Kyll.Ing.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Trondheim
Posts: 531
Likes (Received): 1060

CO2 does have a higher thermal capacity than air does. That is a pretty undisputable fact, as well as the underlying source of the problem. Heat up a volume of CO2 and a volume of air, and the CO2 will cool a lot slower than the air does. As such, with a higher percentage of CO2 in the air, the mixture will have a higher heat capacity and thus gain a higher temperature given stable conditions. This is simple chemistry. It can be compared to tomato slices on a pizza. You put all parts of the pizza in the same oven for an equally long time, yet the tomatoes will have a dramatially higher temperature than the crust after the pizza has been cooled for a couple of minutes.

The fact that it's needed to grow trees is pretty irrelevant in that case. You might as well say "Water is a requirement to sustain life on earth, so drowning can not happen". A substance has more than one property, you know. Some properties are beneficial to us, others aren't. With that argument, you're completely ignoring that very basic part of chemistry.
__________________
Poe's law: You can't impersonate stupidity without somebody mistaking it for the real thing.

will101, _BPS_ liked this post
Kyll.Ing. no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2015, 02:46 PM   #5
ThatOneGuy
Run Like Hell
 
ThatOneGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Toronto - Bucharest
Posts: 16,854
Likes (Received): 14203

Quote:
Originally Posted by fountainkopf View Post
We know for sure the CO2 does not cause it...it is rather an effect what global warming causes. CO2 is needed to grow trees etc.
I'm sure global warming is causing this:
ThatOneGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2015, 03:29 PM   #6
Kingslayer
Ljudožder
 
Kingslayer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Zagreb, Croatia
Posts: 2,390
Likes (Received): 12449

We have already had colder and warmer periods throughout history.
Right now we are in a warmer period.
Don't get me wrong, sure co2 levels are rising because of human influence which is causing greenhouse effect. But are rising co2 levels the only reason for heating of the planet?
Climate is always changing, and it wasn't always humans fault.
__________________

fountainkopf liked this post
Kingslayer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2015, 04:06 PM   #7
wjfox
Futurist
 
wjfox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: L O N D O N
Posts: 37,721
Likes (Received): 7401

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingslayer View Post

But are rising co2 levels the only reason for heating of the planet?

Since 1950, pretty much 100% of the warming has been caused by human activity -






The denialist moron-o-sphere can repeat their hundred-times-debunked memes all they like - it doesn't alter the scientific facts, which are confirmed by thousands of peer-reviewed studies in world-renowned journals, unlike the nonsensical horseshit on YouTube and elsewhere.

It's frankly beyond belief that these same points keep getting posted again... and again... and again, no matter how many times they're refuted, the deniers just can't stop themselves from spouting garbage.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
...
wjfox está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2015, 04:12 PM   #8
wjfox
Futurist
 
wjfox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: L O N D O N
Posts: 37,721
Likes (Received): 7401

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingslayer View Post
We have already had colder and warmer periods throughout history.
Right now we are in a warmer period.
Don't get me wrong, sure co2 levels are rising because of human influence which is causing greenhouse effect. But are rising co2 levels the only reason for heating of the planet?
Climate is always changing, and it wasn't always humans fault.

Take this piece of trickery, for example. The red line conveniently stops before 1960.

Had you posted a more up-to-date version, which includes the last 55 years of warming, the story would be very different indeed.

You can see here that, since the exponential rise in emissions got underway in the 1970s, solar activity and global temperature have been trending in opposite directions -


__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
...

Kyll.Ing., will101 liked this post
wjfox está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2015, 05:01 PM   #9
fountainkopf
Registered User
 
fountainkopf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 374
Likes (Received): 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOneGuy View Post
I'm sure global warming is causing this:
Nobody says/claimed the climate change wasn't enhanced by mans actions. The documents brought here claim that CO2 isn't the cause since it's masses/concentrations are ridiculously low.

Did you know that internal combustion engine produces 70% heat and 30 % power that runs the wheels in an automobile ?
__________________
My nick is not an Ayn Rand glorification, but a homage to real geniuses in building art !


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
fountainkopf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2015, 05:08 PM   #10
fountainkopf
Registered User
 
fountainkopf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 374
Likes (Received): 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjfox View Post
Since 1950, pretty much 100% of the warming has been caused by human activity -






The denialist moron-o-sphere can repeat their hundred-times-debunked memes all they like - it doesn't alter the scientific facts, which are confirmed by thousands of peer-reviewed studies in world-renowned journals, unlike the nonsensical horseshit on YouTube and elsewhere.

It's frankly beyond belief that these same points keep getting posted again... and again... and again, no matter how many times they're refuted, the deniers just can't stop themselves from spouting garbage.
Only moron I know is Al Gore...with his ridiculous charts...makes me puke.
__________________
My nick is not an Ayn Rand glorification, but a homage to real geniuses in building art !


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
fountainkopf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2015, 05:17 PM   #11
Xpressway
Experto
 
Xpressway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,339
Likes (Received): 2336

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjfox View Post
The denialist moron-o-sphere can repeat their hundred-times-debunked memes all they like
Nice way of debating moderator.
__________________
"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

fountainkopf liked this post
Xpressway no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2015, 05:35 PM   #12
wjfox
Futurist
 
wjfox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: L O N D O N
Posts: 37,721
Likes (Received): 7401

Quote:
Originally Posted by fountainkopf View Post
The documents brought here claim that CO2 isn't the cause since it's masses/concentrations are ridiculously low.
Experts have been studying this issue for many decades, and the overwhelming conclusion is that CO2 (plus other greenhouse gases) are the clear and dominant cause. This is plainly obvious to anyone with an ounce of common sense. Do you honestly believe 20,000+ peer-reviewed papers by legions of experts, educated and qualified in their field, have somehow got this graph below completely wrong? If so, you need to basically rewrite the laws of physics, and fundamentally change the properties of gases:






Quote:
Originally Posted by fountainkopf View Post
Only moron I know is Al Gore...with his ridiculous charts...makes me puke.
Why do you skeptics deniers always feel the need to mention Al Gore?

We have 20,000+ peer-reviewed studies with countless observations, graphs and statistical analyses by climatologists - you know, the people who are actually experts in the field.

Al Gore is irrelevant here.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
...
wjfox está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2015, 05:44 PM   #13
fountainkopf
Registered User
 
fountainkopf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 374
Likes (Received): 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjfox View Post
Why do you skeptics deniers always feel the need to mention Al Gore?

We have 20,000+ peer-reviewed studies with countless observations, graphs and statistical analyses by climatologists - you know, the people who are actually experts in the field.

Al Gore is irrelevant here.
It is like seeing a smoking gun in the murder scene and the scientists says it was the gunsmoke that killed the victim...albeit he/she has a hole ouzing blood on the forehead.

__________________
My nick is not an Ayn Rand glorification, but a homage to real geniuses in building art !


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by fountainkopf; March 7th, 2015 at 05:52 PM. Reason: holocene-maximum added
fountainkopf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2015, 07:26 PM   #14
Kyll.Ing.
Registered User
 
Kyll.Ing.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Trondheim
Posts: 531
Likes (Received): 1060

It should also be mentioned that the potency of a greenhouse gas is measured in "units of CO2-equivalents". This means that in the big budgets, other gases such as methane, SF6, SO2 and other gases all fall under the CO2 label. For instance, 1 kg of methane is equivalent to 23 kg of CO2, so a methane emission of 200 tons are counted as 4600 tons of CO2. This usually causes some confusion for people who aren't well versed in the field.
__________________
Poe's law: You can't impersonate stupidity without somebody mistaking it for the real thing.
Kyll.Ing. no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2015, 07:43 PM   #15
fountainkopf
Registered User
 
fountainkopf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 374
Likes (Received): 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyll.Ing. View Post
It should also be mentioned that the potency of a greenhouse gas is measured in "units of CO2-equivalents". This means that in the big budgets, other gases such as methane, SF6, SO2 and other gases all fall under the CO2 label. For instance, 1 kg of methane is equivalent to 23 kg of CO2, so a methane emission of 200 tons are counted as 4600 tons of CO2. This usually causes some confusion for people who aren't well versed in the field.

How do you explain the 800 year lag in the co2 charts in the opening video ?
__________________
My nick is not an Ayn Rand glorification, but a homage to real geniuses in building art !


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
fountainkopf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2015, 07:50 PM   #16
wjfox
Futurist
 
wjfox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: L O N D O N
Posts: 37,721
Likes (Received): 7401

Quote:
Originally Posted by fountainkopf View Post
It is like seeing a smoking gun in the murder scene and the scientists says it was the gunsmoke that killed the victim...albeit he/she has a hole ouzing blood on the forehead.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.n...20158541_o.jpg

That's a screenshot from the Great Global Warming Swindle, isn't it? Possibly the dumbest documentary of all time, it was even banned from UK TV stations for containing so many factual errors.

http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/The_Gre...arming_Swindle

Absolutely laughable graph, completely missing the recent temperature rise of the 20th century onwards. How can you be so dishonest? A five second search on Wikipedia shows you're wrong.

No point in even debating you, if that's the standard of "evidence" you're going to provide. Just childish nonsense.

Here's your Holocene Maximum, against the modern temperature record (future trend projected in red), from actual peer-reviewed science as opposed to nutty conspiracy theory movies -


__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
...

will101 liked this post
wjfox está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2015, 08:34 PM   #17
rsrikanth05
Curry Muncher
 
rsrikanth05's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Jholawala's Jhola
Posts: 9,099
Likes (Received): 1126

The statement that CO2 is needed by trees and thus harmless is a rather flaky one.

CO2 is used by plants ONLY during the day time [photosynthesis].
At night, CO2 is released by plants as well.
__________________
Ab tak chappan!
rsrikanth05 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2015, 10:27 PM   #18
Kyll.Ing.
Registered User
 
Kyll.Ing.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Trondheim
Posts: 531
Likes (Received): 1060

Quote:
Originally Posted by fountainkopf View Post
How do you explain the 800 year lag in the co2 charts in the opening video ?
There's probably a video out there explaining that too.

If all you're going to do is link a video full of drivel, expect me to spend my time watching all of it, and not present any arguments with your own words, I won't waste time digging up counter-arguments of my own. If you won't commit to that, neither will I.
__________________
Poe's law: You can't impersonate stupidity without somebody mistaking it for the real thing.
Kyll.Ing. no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2015, 11:54 PM   #19
Crownsteler
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Utrecht
Posts: 815
Likes (Received): 183

Quote:
Originally Posted by fountainkopf View Post
Nobody says/claimed the climate change wasn't enhanced by mans actions. The documents brought here claim that CO2 isn't the cause since it's masses/concentrations are ridiculously low.

[...]
Yet all plants on this plants on this planet grow on CO2. So while the concentration might be low, it can hardly be called insignificant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fountainkopf View Post
How do you explain the 800 year lag in the co2 charts in the opening video ?
__________________

wjfox, GodIsNotGreat liked this post
Crownsteler no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2015, 04:03 AM   #20
fountainkopf
Registered User
 
fountainkopf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 374
Likes (Received): 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crownsteler View Post
Yet all plants on this plants on this planet grow on CO2. So while the concentration might be low, it can hardly be called insignificant.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsrikanth05 View Post
At night, CO2 is released by plants as well.
So there is no chance that heat causes heat ? Plants have to be cut down to stop this effect and not to make electric cars instead of the combustion engine cars ? No more solar energy or wind energy ?

Half of the earths forests have been depleted..as have of the oil; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resource_depletion

Something irreversible apparently has happened ( but you don't believe it ); http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planetary_boundaries
__________________
My nick is not an Ayn Rand glorification, but a homage to real geniuses in building art !


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by fountainkopf; March 8th, 2015 at 04:25 AM.
fountainkopf no está en línea   Reply With Quote


Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT +2. The time now is 08:19 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2015 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2015 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

Hosted by Blacksun, dedicated to this site too!
Forum server management by DaiTengu