daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Fun Forums > Space, Science & Technology

Space, Science & Technology shaping tomorrow's world

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 14th, 2016, 10:11 PM   #1
wjfox
Futurist

Likes (Received): 8423

What will it take for humans to colonize the Milky Way?

What Will It Take for Humans to Colonize the Milky Way?

It's a common theme in science fiction, but migrating to planets beyond our solar system will be a lot more complicated and difficult than you might imagine

By Kim Stanley Robinson on January 13, 2016

Read more: http://www.scientificamerican.com/ar...he-milky-way1/

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

dj4life, Zaz965, erbse liked this post
wjfox está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old January 15th, 2016, 03:26 AM   #2
RyukyuRhymer
モデレーター Moderator

Likes (Received): 1762

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjfox View Post

It's a common theme in science fiction, but migrating to planets beyond our solar system will be a lot more complicated and difficult than you might imagine

By Kim Stanley Robinson on January 13, 2016

Read more: http://www.scientificamerican.com/ar...he-milky-way1/

Most articles only focus on the difficulties of getting there. This article was the first one reading that looks at the biological and social aspects of such a trip, so I found that interesting.

I still find it depressing that our nearest neighbor, Alpha Centauri, is thousands of years away by current travel methods.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

RyukyuRhymer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2016, 05:15 AM   #3
Antonio227

Likes (Received): 1485

This:

Quote:
So, to conclude: an interstellar voyage would present one set of extremely difficult problems, and the arrival in another system, a different set of problems. All the problems together create not an outright impossibility, but a project of extreme difficulty, with very poor chances of success. The unavoidable uncertainties suggest that an ethical pursuit of the project would require many preconditions before it was undertaken. Among them are these: first, a demonstrably sustainable human civilization on Earth itself, the achievement of which would teach us many of the things we would need to know to construct a viable mesocosm in an ark; second, a great deal of practice in an ark obiting our sun, where we could make repairs and study practices in an ongoing feedback loop, until we had in effect built a successful proof of concept; third, extensive robotic explorations of nearby planetary systems, to see if any are suitable candidates for inhabitation.

Unless all these steps are taken, humans cannot successfully travel to and inhabit other star systems. The preparation itself is a multi-century project, and one that relies crucially on its first step succeeding, which is the creation of a sustainable long-term civilization on Earth. This achievement is the necessary, although not sufficient, precondition for any success in interstellar voyaging. If we donít create sustainability on our own world, there is no Planet B.

The-E-Vid liked this post
Antonio227 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2016, 05:38 AM   #4
dj4life

Likes (Received): 28429

I love the picture. Travelling to another planet sounds like an amazing adventure.

Last edited by dj4life; January 15th, 2016 at 01:03 PM.
dj4life no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2016, 07:40 AM   #5
fountainkopf

Likes (Received): 84

This writer is really smart...I agree 100 %.

fountainkopf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2016, 07:42 AM   #6
fountainkopf

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyukyuRhymer View Post
Most articles only focus on the difficulties of getting there. This article was the first one reading that looks at the biological and social aspects of such a trip, so I found that interesting.

I still find it depressing that our nearest neighbor, Alpha Centauri, is thousands of years away by current travel methods.
I think we counted on Cosmoquest ( before my bann ) that it can be reached within a lifetime...at current known ways of accelarating large masses...not yet tested.

Old January 15th, 2016, 09:29 AM   #7
wjfox
Futurist

Quote:
Originally Posted by fountainkopf View Post
This writer is really smart...I agree 100 %.
He's the author of the Mars trilogy (my favourite books of all time).

I met him and got his autograph in 2009.

Antonio227 liked this post
Old January 16th, 2016, 11:09 PM   #8
Bond James Bond
Licence to kill.

The more I've thought about it lately, the more I've come to conclude that space is just too harsh a place for biological creatures such as ourselves for us to do any but the most superficial space exploration. If space is to be explored on a large scale (and perhaps conquered) by anything from Planet Earth, it's going to have to be done by our robot offspring.
Old January 17th, 2016, 03:02 AM   #9
goschio
Oh sweet lord Jesus

Likes (Received): 2037

Its not like we proved to have a sustainable and peaceful civilization in Europe before we colonized the Americas or Australia. So I don't think that's a prerequisite for space colonization. Why would it be? And who would decide that?

In fact, unless we discover some sort of viable near light speed travel, each interstellar colony will be isolated form the rest of mankind for thousands of years and be on its own for a long time. This will lead to very different social and even evolutionary developments of these isolated human populations. So after a millions years, there might be no more unified human species living in the galaxy. The type of humanoid aliens spread across space we see in Star Trek might actually be a very realistic future of ourselves.

Matthew 7:25
And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell: and great was the fall of it.

Chrissib liked this post
goschio no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2016, 04:07 AM   #10
RyukyuRhymer
モデレーター Moderator

Likes (Received): 1762

Quote:
Originally Posted by fountainkopf View Post
I think we counted on Cosmoquest ( before my bann ) that it can be reached within a lifetime...at current known ways of accelarating large masses...not yet tested.
what kind of propulsion did that discussion conclude at?

RyukyuRhymer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2016, 11:13 AM   #11
fountainkopf

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyukyuRhymer View Post
what kind of propulsion did that discussion conclude at?

I was refering to the "PLUTO EXPRESS"...using the sun's pull in slinging the craft into path with an enermous speed....this has not been used as it cannot be slowed down.

I think it could be slowed down again at Alfa Centauri and use it's pull to sling the craft back to our solar system. Kinda like cosmic sailing.

----

Other would be the solar sails providing a long lasting acceleration to opposite direction of the sun...you'd have to go first close to Mercury level to get the high speeds. Those electrons that escape the sun's gravity are moving at very high speed.

---

Using both is the way I think ? Possibly some Vasimr power in addition.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Variab...oplasma_Rocket

Last edited by fountainkopf; January 18th, 2016 at 11:23 AM.
Old January 18th, 2016, 10:51 PM   #12
jeffersonT

Likes (Received): 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjfox View Post
It's impossible with human bodies.
jeffersonT no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2016, 10:43 AM   #13
fountainkopf

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffersonT View Post
It's impossible with human bodies.
In the 16th century they said driving beyond 50 km/h is impossible.

Old January 19th, 2016, 12:01 PM   #14
Arnorian

Likes (Received): 9408

What will take is some kind of new physics that would allow travelling faster than light.
Old January 19th, 2016, 02:58 PM   #15
FLAWDA-FELLA
Native Flaw-ridian

Likes (Received): 1069

I believe a "Warp Bubble" just might do the trick as the bubble would essentially contract space-time in front of the ship, flow over the ship, then expand back to normality behind it. Itís inaccurate to describe the spaceship as moving faster than the speed of light, but rather space-time is moving around the ship faster than the speed of light.

FLAWDA-FELLA no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2016, 03:44 PM   #16
fountainkopf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnorian View Post
What will take is some kind of new physics that would allow travelling faster than light.

This is one thing that gets you banned from NASA space flight forum...if you say ( or question ) that why cannot you in the emptiness of space fly faster than speed of light. Like I did.

Old January 19th, 2016, 05:16 PM   #17
Spartan_X

Likes (Received): 720

What if something unexpected develops, a breakthrough we can't even imagine now with our current understanding of physics, and this breakthrough allows us to travel to other stars. Maybe, a human civilization not mature enough, and unprepared for the challenge to reach other stars, is even worse than taking thousands of years to accomplish this feat.

Spartan proverb

AnOldBlackMarble liked this post
Spartan_X no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2016, 07:17 PM   #18
wjfox
Futurist

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLAWDA-FELLA View Post
I believe a "Warp Bubble" just might do the trick as the bubble would essentially contract space-time in front of the ship, flow over the ship, then expand back to normality behind it. Itís inaccurate to describe the spaceship as moving faster than the speed of light, but rather space-time is moving around the ship faster than the speed of light.
What you're describing is an Alcubierre drive:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcubierre_drive

FLAWDA-FELLA liked this post
Old January 20th, 2016, 08:46 PM   #19
Mplsuptown

Likes (Received): 363

What will it take ...one planet at a time. Perhaps maybe at some distant future we may be able to inhabit 2 planets or more at the very same instant.
Old January 21st, 2016, 04:19 AM   #20
The Cake On BBQ
"metamorphosis"

Likes (Received): 4713

Why should we colonize Milkyway? What's the point?