daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Fun Forums > Space, Science & Technology

Space, Science & Technology shaping tomorrow's world

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: Getting one
will definitely get one 4 4.44%
might get one 8 8.89%
probably won't 13 14.44%
definitely not 65 72.22%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Old December 27th, 2012, 07:48 PM   #1
Jan
High there, what's up!

Likes (Received): 5740

Apple Watch: will you get one?

Several sources have reported about a rumor that an iWatch is in the makings and projected for latter this year (see: techcrunch post). I think something like this has value if it comes with a news, email, text message and social madia update ticker on it, but even just to find out what Apple can come up with design-wise it'll be fun if they are indeed considering it.
Jan no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old December 29th, 2012, 01:42 PM   #2
FREKI
Pip pip pip boom..

Likes (Received): 2800

Based on how popular the previous Nano model became as a watch it wouldn't surprice me..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-
-
-
-
FREKI está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2012, 02:09 PM   #3
Jan
High there, what's up!

^ too bad that clip wouldn't go off, that would shave some millimeters from those watches.

I wouldn't be surprised if a watch (or something on you, instead of in your pocket) is going to be replacing many things that a phone is doing now, or is supposed to be doing in the future (like NFC applications).
Old December 29th, 2012, 11:26 PM   #4
FREKI
Pip pip pip boom..

Likes (Received): 2800

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan View Post
too bad that clip wouldn't go off, that would shave some millimeters from those watches.
Yeah, but they still made quite nice watches despite that option was rather unintentional from Apple's side..

http://i49.tinypic.com/206ivdk.jpg

So it's certainly not unimaginable that they want a bigger piece of the pie next time and they certainly have the technology to make some really cool and really small touchscreen watches thatcould connect to and to some degree control iDevice functionality..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if a watch (or something on you, instead of in your pocket) is going to be replacing many things that a phone is doing now, or is supposed to be doing in the future (like NFC applications).
I could certainly see a future where augmented reality trough glasses or contacts and a display on the arm would take over a lot of what we use today use the mobile phone for..

For commuters and folks in various types of industry etc it would make sense to look at one's arm or simply trough a lense to get information rather than having to hold a device in one's hand.. and where there's a need there will be a market

And with could computing these devices could be extremely tiny - bascially just a display and an LTE and Bluetooth radio..

http://i50.tinypic.com/mvt1jk.jpg

If done really slick and stylish I wouldn't mind a small 5" wrist computer watch that would let me do the basic smartphone tasks..

Add a bluetooth headset and you can make calls and listen to music and video too..

-

-
-
-
-
FREKI está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2012, 11:45 PM   #5
VelesHomais

Likes (Received): 4770

I probably won't use it, but I'm looking forward to having computers more integrated into my clothes in the near future.
Old December 30th, 2012, 10:28 AM   #6
Jan
High there, what's up!

The thing in that image would be rather clumsy. I'm guessing it's still going to be small but will come with some kind of a foldable screen that pops out whenever you need a larger screen.
Old December 30th, 2012, 05:21 PM   #7
DaiTengu
SSC System Administrator

Likes (Received): 530

How many people wear watches now-days? I haven't worn one ever since I got a cell phone, and none of my friends do either.

I could see it being somewhat useful if it perhaps could give you biometric data, and link to your phone via bluetooth, but there are already other devices out there that do that.

|
|
|

xAbd0o, Kutsuit liked this post
DaiTengu no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2013, 01:48 PM   #8
Lydon

Likes (Received): 2732

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaiTengu View Post
How many people wear watches now-days? I haven't worn one ever since I got a cell phone, and none of my friends do either.

I could see it being somewhat useful if it perhaps could give you biometric data, and link to your phone via bluetooth, but there are already other devices out there that do that.
Watches are more of a fashion accessory these days, or used in situations where whipping out your phone might seem inappropriate. The former is exactly the target market Apple are so good at reaching.

Lydon está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2013, 08:45 PM   #9
NanoMini
Wat's price of the earth?

Likes (Received): 2240

I think it must have one projector to watch.
NanoMini no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2013, 03:38 AM   #10
xAbd0o
(j)r(j)-p꜂(t)

Likes (Received): 891

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lydon View Post
Watches are more of a fashion accessory these days, or used in situations where whipping out your phone might seem inappropriate. The former is exactly the target market Apple are so good at reaching.
Nowadays everything is a fashion, even phones. People have different sets of covers to suits different thing they're wearing. Also people are starting to use their phones more than their own personal computers if that isn't already the dominant case.
xAbd0o no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2013, 06:17 AM   #11
jalapenopepper89

Likes (Received): 50

I wouldn't buy it, anything it could possibly do can already be done by my iPhone, so what's the point? Besides when it comes to watches I like them classy.
jalapenopepper89 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2014, 03:10 AM   #12
GodIsNotGreat

Likes (Received): 350

Bumping this thread in case there is some announcement on Tuesday.

He he he.
GodIsNotGreat no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2014, 04:37 AM   #13
princeofseoul
digging

Likes (Received): 207

Quote:

They could be useful in some cases where it's a burden to bring a phone (on the beach, going jogging, etc). It's a gadget that will appeal to a select few but not replace classy watches or smartphones.

What would appeal to more people is something that could be carried in a pocket and that has a bigger screen than 5 inch (flexible screen maybe?).

princeofseoul no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2014, 05:50 AM   #14
DaiTengu
SSC System Administrator

Likes (Received): 530

Quote:
Originally Posted by princeofseoul View Post
They could be useful in some cases where it's a burden to bring a phone (on the beach, going jogging, etc). It's a gadget that will appeal to a select few but not replace classy watches or smartphones.

What would appeal to more people is something that could be carried in a pocket and that has a bigger screen than 5 inch (flexible screen maybe?).
Like the Galaxy note 4 or the Galaxy note Edge? (5.7 inches)

|
|
|
DaiTengu no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2014, 07:31 AM   #15
Eastern37
Optimist

Likes (Received): 1216

Quote:
Originally Posted by princeofseoul View Post
Only the Samsung Galaxy S would actually allow you to do this as it has a 3G modem in it. All the other watches available currently need a phone to be paired with too function properly.

Wonder whether Apple will include a modem in theirs?
-
-
-
-
Eastern37 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2014, 11:48 AM   #16
princeofseoul
digging

Likes (Received): 207

Quote:
Like the Galaxy note 4 or the Galaxy note Edge? (5.7 inches)
I meant >>5 inch, more like in the 8-10inch range. Even a 7inch Nexus tablet feels rather small to my eyes. How about a 8+ inch screen that is flexible and can be folded in two to fit in your pocket.? I'd like that

princeofseoul no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2014, 07:40 PM   #17
GodIsNotGreat

Likes (Received): 350

The one thing that gets tech watchers wondering is the Apple Watch's battery life.

I think it will appeal to young women and the fitness conscious.

It looks cool, IMHO.
GodIsNotGreat no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2014, 09:08 PM   #18
Lydon

Likes (Received): 2732

Yeah, I'm pretty excited about the fitness focus.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lydon está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2014, 10:18 PM   #19
Huti
Giro d'Affe

Likes (Received): 10693

a flop (IMHO). I may be wrong of course.

iWatch Release Date: Will Apple's Smartwatch Flop Or Will It Change The World?
By Sanna Chu

http://www.idigitaltimes.com/iwatch-...e-world-381221
Huti no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2014, 11:12 PM   #20
Jan
High there, what's up!

Added a poll

Send from my Apple Watch