daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Fun Forums > Space, Science & Technology

Space, Science & Technology shaping tomorrow's world

Old March 8th, 2014, 12:22 PM   #1
wjfox
Wanna cook?

Likes (Received): 4255

Great Walls of America 'could stop tornadoes'

Great Walls of America 'could stop tornadoes'

By James Morgan
Science reporter, BBC News, Denver

Building three "Great Walls" across Tornado Alley in the US could eliminate the disasters, a physicist says.

The barriers - 300m (980ft) high and up to 100 miles long - would act like hill ranges, softening winds before twisters can form.

They would cost $16bn (£9.6bn) to build but save billions of dollars of damage each year, said Prof Rongjia Tao, of Temple University, Philadelphia.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-26492720

wjfox no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old March 8th, 2014, 12:23 PM   #2
wjfox
Wanna cook?

Likes (Received): 4255

Quote:

The barriers - 300m (980ft) high and up to 100 miles long

wjfox no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2014, 10:02 PM   #3
AnOldBlackMarble
www.anoldblackmarble.com

Likes (Received): 1668

Why build walls, when you could just pile up some dirt and make usable livable hills?
AnOldBlackMarble no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2014, 05:31 AM   #4
Bond James Bond
Licence to kill.

Yeah, Kansas needs some mountains anyway.
Old March 9th, 2014, 07:01 AM   #5
Guajiro1
Cereal Killer

Likes (Received): 1142

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnOldBlackMarble View Post
Why build walls, when you could just pile up some dirt and make usable livable hills?
So you would make houses on top of hills designed to stop tornadoes?
Old March 9th, 2014, 07:50 AM   #6
sweet-d

Likes (Received): 92

What a f****** stupid idea.

TowerVerre:) liked this post
sweet-d no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2014, 09:09 AM   #7
AnOldBlackMarble
www.anoldblackmarble.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guajiro1 View Post
So you would make houses on top of hills designed to stop tornadoes?
Why not? If they prevent tornado's from happening than what's to worry about? But actually, I would prefer they cover them with forests especially since most would probably be away from cities. Can't wait to go skiing in Kansas.
Old March 9th, 2014, 09:17 AM   #8
AnOldBlackMarble
www.anoldblackmarble.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweet-d View Post
What a f****** stupid idea.
I don't think he actually meant we should build a literal wall. The "wall" is a "stand in" for his mathematical equations that show that 3-100 mile long and 1000 feet tall barriers(walls) would end tornadoes. A wall that big would not work anyway. The wind would knock it down so it has to be an earthen dyke or hill. Ideally with earth dug up on one side and piled up on the other to create both hills and valleys. Tornadoes only happen on large flat expanses of land, and on oceans of course, but they do not occur on hilly train.
Old March 9th, 2014, 03:32 PM   #9
Khaleejian
Mr. Jihad

Likes (Received): 356

it might eliminate tornadoes but it will invite stupid mongolians

Old March 11th, 2014, 02:12 AM   #10
BE0GRAD
∰f(W)dw≣∭f(r,φ,θ) drdφdθ

Likes (Received): 436

This is great! How haven't I taught of this?
Old March 12th, 2014, 08:27 PM   #11
Сталин
Marshal of SkyscraperCity

Likes (Received): 511

Quote:
Too expensive, walls would be cheaper. And of course, you could have a good futuristic design to make them look good.
Сталин no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2014, 08:52 PM   #12
william of waco

Likes (Received): 107

In Texas we average about 150 tornadoes per year, the highest anywhere on earth. They strike at random and with only a few seconds warning. These "walls" would be built based on the chance that a tornado might strike near them. Maybe the threat can be reduced. Who can tell at this point? The most important question is: How could these walls stop an F5?
william of waco no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2014, 09:24 PM   #13
AnOldBlackMarble
www.anoldblackmarble.com

Once again you have not informed yourself, and are making more foolish statements. Read the article, and you will find this statement:

Quote:
"If we build three east-west great walls, one in North Dakota, one along the border between Kansas and Oklahoma, and the third in the south in Texas and Louisiana, we will diminish the threats in Tornado Alley forever," he said.
The concept described here is based on a mathematical calculation this scientist did for the entire continent, not just your local neighborhood. What he is saying is that if you built three "walls", one north, one middle, and one south, each 100 miles long and 1000feet tall, they would interfere with the WHOLE NORTH American air current patterns in such a way to prevent tornadoes from forming.
Old March 12th, 2014, 10:29 PM   #14
william of waco

Quote:
Once again you have not informed yourself, and are making more foolish statements. Read the article, and you will find this statement:
Read it three times.

Quote:
The concept described here is based on a mathematical calculation this scientist did for the entire continent, not just your local neighborhood.
You are relying on a "mathematical calculation" that a scientist that you have never met concluded. A scientist that never took you by the hand and showed you how he came to this conclusion. You only seek comforting answers.

Quote:
What he is saying is that if you built three "walls", one north, one middle, and one south, each 100 miles long and 1000feet tall, they would interfere with the WHOLE NORTH American air current patterns in such a way to prevent tornadoes from forming.
"He is saying". You quote that as if it is enough evidence for you to believe that it is possible.
Old March 13th, 2014, 01:00 AM   #15
AnOldBlackMarble
www.anoldblackmarble.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by william of waco View Post

You are relying on a "mathematical calculation" that a scientist that you have never met concluded. A scientist that never took you by the hand and showed you how he came to this conclusion. You only seek comforting answers.
Of course I am. Take me by the hand were? He did show me how he came to this conclusion, a mathematical formulation. Do you understand what "math" is? It is the fundamental relativistic nature of reality. Once you understand the math that is the foundation of nature, than you understand nature. And I don't have to meet the scientist, as long as his calculations are correct, then he is right. Are his calculations correct? I don't know I have not seen them, but most mathematicians are very careful because their life as a scientist depends on it, they are not politicians.

If this proves to be a viable idea, and also if the people want it, it will be tested by more scientists and if workable it will be built. If not it wont. But for now it is just a fact based idea, a proposal, not a conclusion.
Old March 13th, 2014, 06:27 AM   #16
william of waco

Quote:
He did show me how he came to this conclusion, a mathematical formulation. Do you understand what "math" is? It is the fundamental relativistic nature of reality. Once you understand the math that is the foundation of nature, than you understand nature. And I don't have to meet the scientist, as long as his calculations are correct, then he is right. Are his calculations correct? I don't know I have not seen them, but most mathematicians are very careful because their life as a scientist depends on it, they are not politicians.
You have never seen his work. You claim that as long as his calculations are alleged to be correct that is good enough for you. Yet at the same time you are not sure if those calculations are accurate?

You seem content to take his word for it, because he is a "mathematician". I admit I'm no math whiz, but I understand enough to know that numbers can be corrupted as easily as politicians are.
Old March 15th, 2014, 10:44 AM   #17
erbse
Front Bull

Likes (Received): 18737

Tornadoes don't form offhanded, as it might look like. They aggregate over large swathes of land before they pop up.

I think this idea could work out. Perhaps it should be tested with a single wall/hill-line of the three erected first if it can prevent tornadoes in one large area.
Old Today, 07:48 PM   #18
Paddington

Likes (Received): 734

I read about this in the news few weeks/months back. My impression is that it was mocked. But I think it's a good idea that warrants further study. I'm not saying it should be built, but I think it should be seriously looked at with more studies at more universities.

The middle third of the U.S. has a very extreme climate, found in few other places where large numbers of people are actually living. It think the big flat expanse that runs from the North pole all the way down to the tropical Gulf of Mexico has a lot to do with it.

If they can end some of this human misery (and perhaps also moderate the climate some for people who live there) without other adverse climate effects (like creating a desert some place else because the weather patterns changed) then they should give it some consideration.

wjfox liked this post
Paddington no está en línea   Reply With Quote