daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 6th, 2010, 01:15 PM   #61
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19383

If you see what countries with similar populations and geographic area possess, I think Turkey will need approximately 8,000 - 10,000 kilometer of Otoyol in the future. Only to connect all major cities (200,000 +) directly by Otoyol requires several thousand kilometers of new motorways.

In most modern countries, there are only a few cities that have a population of 50,000 + that are not connected by any kind of motorway or expressway.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 6th, 2010, 01:59 PM   #62
Eddard Stark
Keep your head

Likes (Received): 3831

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jünyus Brütüs View Post
Not really...

This is the geography of Turkey. As you see, eastern Anatolia isn't that perfect for highways therefor it costs much more expensive with all those tunnels.

Also Agean is composed of mountains that range in the East-West direction which lie parallel to eachother and vertically join the sea. Makes harder to build a highway in the North-South direction.
well...Italy is not different. In fact we do not have a very extensive network but it still covers the entire country

I assume Turkey just didn't have the money to build them before, that's why I wonder why they built few 3 lanes highways (in areas it seems with not so much traffic like southern Anatolia) instead of many more 2-lanes ones

Just strange, that's all
Eddard Stark está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2010, 09:19 PM   #63
foxmulder

Likes (Received): 381

Actually where you see highways in Turkey, certainly, have the highest traffic volume. And also I believe 6-lane highways are musts for that stretches.

@ Brütüs, I am sorry I will repeat myself but It is really not geography but money. I mean it is not just highways. Same is true for railways, too. Turkey just didnt have resources to build high level of infrastructure projects. And the existed resources are spend/lost during fight with PKK, and in countless corruption events. Now stuff looks a little bit better. Hopefully, one day Turkey will have advanced economy, democracy and these infrastructure stuff will come as a bonus
foxmulder no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2010, 10:05 PM   #64
RipleyLV

Likes (Received): 2267

The widest and the longest highway in Latvia with 6 lanes is A10 from Riga Center to Jūrmala - 19 km:
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sour...,0.438766&z=11
RipleyLV está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2010, 01:52 AM   #65
Jünyus Brütüs
Awesome User

Likes (Received): 106

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxmulder View Post

@ Brütüs, I am sorry I will repeat myself but It is really not geography but money. I mean it is not just highways. Same is true for railways, too. Turkey just didnt have resources to build high level of infrastructure projects. And the existed resources are spend/lost during fight with PKK, and in countless corruption events. Now stuff looks a little bit better. Hopefully, one day Turkey will have advanced economy, democracy and these infrastructure stuff will come as a bonus

The question is not economy here imo. We're talking about a G20 country afterall, that already started to build it's own HSR line and even completed one route. Also every middle sized city has airport and domestic flights are one of the cheapest in the world. While I can fly from Istanbul to Ankara just for 30EUR I don't see highways are so necessary altough I wish the network will cover the country in future. Like I satetd before, railways are much more important for now.
Jünyus Brütüs no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2010, 06:40 PM   #66
Messi
Tinerci Gençlik

Likes (Received): 2430

The only reason why motorways were not built before is the economy for sure! There is nothing to argue about that.

Turkey build 14.000 km of 2x2 highway in 7 years but they are officialy not motorways since you don't have to pay for them are not 2x3.

How is for example the black sea coastal road from the Georgian border till Ankara (700km) not a motorway? Officialy it's not but it is one for sure for many countries in Europe.

Here is the most recent official map. Turkey has a quite dense network now. Much has beed done since 2001 with the new government.

Red: completed 2x2 highways
Blue: u/c 2x2 highway
Green: approved 2x2 highway
[IMG]http://i46.************/f9ql47.jpg[/IMG]
Messi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2010, 09:12 PM   #67
ghost rider
Ghost Rider

Likes (Received): 553

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddard Stark View Post
well...Italy is not different. In fact we do not have a very extensive network but it still covers the entire country

I assume Turkey just didn't have the money to build them before, that's why I wonder why they built few 3 lanes highways (in areas it seems with not so much traffic like southern Anatolia) instead of many more 2-lanes ones

Just strange, that's all

İnstead of ?

Here is your answer.. The title is 2x3 lane highway. And because of this i posted this map :This shows only 2 x 3 lanes highways..
[IMG]http://i31.************/2vvj4o1.png[/IMG]

But when we came your question here is the answer Turkey is full of good 2x2 highwaysIn this, red lines show 2 x 2 lanes highways.

As Messi says this 2x2 lanes highways are better than many highways in europe..

And to make highways is not very easy in Turkey. Our roads have many tunnels, viaducts, bridges.. Because of georaphical conditions..mountains, lakes ...

And last 7 years It is built 11 . 000 km new highways.

Last edited by ghost rider; March 7th, 2010 at 09:40 PM.
ghost rider no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2010, 09:32 PM   #68
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Do those 2x2 roads have full access control? Or are they just 2x2 main roads with or without median, shoulders or roundabouts?
Old March 7th, 2010, 10:06 PM   #69
Messi
Tinerci Gençlik

Not all of them are like that on the video. So far I know that the black sea coastal road and Ankara-Eskisehir-Bursa have definitly motorway quality. And maybe Antalya-Alanya but i can't remember exactly. The rest of the routes I haven't tried yet
Old March 8th, 2010, 12:42 AM   #70
GlasgowMan
AirGlasgow.com

Likes (Received): 88

Quote:
Originally Posted by niterider View Post
Plus it continues north as 3 lanes to Glasgow, albeit under the name M74 once over the border. But it's the same road.
Once the M74 is connected to the M8 (currently under construction) it will be three-lanes all the way from the Midlands to Glasgow International Airport.

As your Scottish airport to the world, you can fly direct from Glasgow to 120 worldwide destinations, more than any other Scottish Airport. As well as listing all flights and destinations on offer from Glasgow's Airports, you can also view all the latest news and see a full list of all new routes on offer from Glasgow. You can also view our tourist guide to Glasgow, Scotland's largest city.
GlasgowMan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2010, 10:53 AM   #71
bozata90

Likes (Received): 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Messi View Post
Not all of them are like that on the video. So far I know that the black sea coastal road and Ankara-Eskisehir-Bursa have definitly motorway quality. And maybe Antalya-Alanya but i can't remember exactly. The rest of the routes I haven't tried yet
@Chris: The older are not up to motorway standard, but are convenient enough for driving 90 - 100 km/h. And do not forget that Turkey has low AADT in most parts. Still this is the country with the highest fuel prices in Europe (and may be in the world) - a bit higher than in your homeland. So car ownership is not that high (only 30% of the population of Istanbul have cars, but I cannot quote anInternet source).
@Ghost rider: Some older parts of Istanbul's otoyol are only 2x2...
bozata90 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2010, 10:58 AM   #72
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Yeah I wonder why Turkey has such insane fuel prices. I believe they're at € 1,60 or € 1,70. They really try to price people off the roads.

30% is still fairly high though, the Netherlands is at 45% (7 million cars on 16.5 million people).
Old March 8th, 2010, 11:00 AM   #73
bozata90

Likes (Received): 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Yeah I wonder why Turkey has such insane fuel prices. I believe they're at € 1,60 or € 1,70. They really try to price people off the roads.

30% is still fairly high though, the Netherlands is at 45% (7 million cars on 16.5 million people).
The answer is fuel taxes. Maybe they encourage the population to use less energy - in the end they are totally dependable on petroleum from the Near East and Russia (as most of Europe).
But also other energy sources (electricity) are not that cheap in Turkey.
bozata90 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2010, 11:27 AM   #74
RKC

Likes (Received): 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Messi View Post

Here is the most recent official map. Turkey has a quite dense network now. Much has beed done since 2001 with the new government.

Red: completed 2x2 highways
Blue: u/c 2x2 highway
Green: approved 2x2 highway
wow, thats a whole different scenario then...
2x2 in remote areas, or low traffic parts is totally enough even if its not completely mway standard, and that map is very impressive...
RKC no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2010, 11:35 AM   #75
GENIUS LOCI
No More Italian Mod

Likes (Received): 11123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddard Stark View Post
pity there is a piece of 2 lanes as now also a big piece of A3 is 3 lanes

The run is not by A3, but by A30 which pass North of Vesuvio (while A3 is South, between Vesuvio and the coastline) and it is a motorway with 3 lanes for the whole lenght

http://maps.google.it/maps?hl=it&ie=...94885&t=h&z=11
Old March 8th, 2010, 11:38 AM   #76
Maxx☢Power
BANNED

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Do those 2x2 roads have full access control? Or are they just 2x2 main roads with or without median, shoulders or roundabouts?
Looking at Google Maps, it look like most of them are not up to motorway standards, with direct access to properties and roads, roundabouts etc. For example, the road running along the Black Sea coast seems to be going straight through the centre of major towns like in this example. The satellite imagery used in GMaps seems to be a little out of date though; the maps show a bypass of Trabzon that's not in the image yet.

Nonetheless, it's a pretty impressive network.
Maxx☢Power no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2010, 11:46 AM   #77
ghost rider
Ghost Rider

Likes (Received): 553

Quote:
Originally Posted by bozata90 View Post
@Ghost rider: Some older parts of Istanbul's otoyol are only 2x2...
Yeah but it is not very long. It is only a few part of the highway..I dont know excatly but it is not longer than 20-30 km that has 2x2 lanes.. The others are 2x3..
ghost rider no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2010, 11:55 AM   #78
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3437

is Istanbul - Edirne - BG completely transformed into 3+3?
Old March 8th, 2010, 11:58 AM   #79
Messi
Tinerci Gençlik

I can't remember having seen 2x2 motorway in Istanbul.
Old March 8th, 2010, 12:15 PM   #80
Messi
Tinerci Gençlik

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-type View Post
is Istanbul - Edirne - BG completely transformed into 3+3?
Wasn't it always like that? There is actually no 2x2 motorway in Turkey. Maybe some small parts because of geographical reasons but in general it's 2x3. Even in eastern Turkey new motorways are 2x3.

That's the motorway in south-eastern Turkey connecting the Syrian border via Ankara to the European border.
[IMG]http://i49.************/1zfu51j.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i49.************/2hzvyh.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i48.************/2uxwnpu.jpg[/IMG]

Once the Ankara-Adana part (u/c) is completed the European border will be linked to the mideastern border by 2x3 mototrway. Currently the Ankara-Adana part is served by 2x2 highway.
[IMG]http://i49.************/2rbyope.jpg[/IMG]