daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 24th, 2013, 01:09 PM   #141
mcarling

Likes (Received): 491

In Israel, it's now roughly about 70 kilometers of 2x3 roads, along Hwy 6 (at the intersection of Route 61) south and along Hwy 1 for some distance in the direction of Jerusalem. By about 2017, it will be roughly about 100 kilometers as Hwy 1 is now being widened to 2x3 all the way to Jerusalem. Hwy 6 will probably be widened to 2x3 as far north as Route 65.
mcarling no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 26th, 2013, 11:36 AM   #142
Muttie

Likes (Received): 1348

In Morocco the largest 2x3 section is between Rabat and Casablanca (A3). About 90 Km long.

zeeron liked this post
Muttie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2013, 12:09 PM   #143
zeeron

Likes (Received): 504

Hi guys, I'm new to the forum and from Sri Lanka. I hope to share some pics and info about my country's expressways too with you. Hope you like it.

To start with here is the starting point of the current longest expressway in Sri Lanka. The completed road in this picture to the north you see here is the starting point of that expressway which is 95km long and called the Colombo-Southern Expressway.

This is a areal photo someone had take couple of months back of the new large Kottawa expressway interchange at a place called Kottawa which is a suburb of our largest city Colombo, Sri Laka. This interchange is currently the largest in Sri Lanka. The construction work going on in the bottom of the pic shows the starting point of the Colombo outer circular highway which is a 29km ring road that is currently being constructed to by pass the congested areas of greater Colombo area.

This is a map of the Colombo-Southern Expressway. Currently around 9000 vehicles use this road a day but on weekend and near holidays it goes upto around 20,000+
zeeron está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2013, 12:29 PM   #144
lafreak84
Free Palestine

Likes (Received): 535

The thread is about 2x3+ motorways. That's 2x2.

zeeron liked this post
lafreak84 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2013, 12:31 PM   #145
zeeron

Longest expressway in Sri Lanka - 95km Colombo-Southern Expressway

sorry for posting in wrong thread, deleted this post and pics.

Last edited by zeeron; December 26th, 2013 at 12:42 PM.
Old December 26th, 2013, 12:36 PM   #146
zeeron

Quote:
Originally Posted by lafreak84 View Post
The thread is about 2x3+ motorways. That's 2x2.
Oh I'm sorry, I didn't understand that. Shall I remove my above posts?

Unfortunately we don't yet have toll motorways in our country with 2x3 (6 lanes except a few kms near the start of the few expressways. But there are a few 5 to 10 km streatches of 2x3 lane roads in around Colombo city which I think are the largest roads in Sri Lanka yet. Like the baseline road and the galle road within Colombo city area. I'd like to add photos of them here but will they qualify for this thread?
Old December 26th, 2013, 12:39 PM   #147
MichiH

Likes (Received): 2082

You can post your pics in the country thread.

zeeron liked this post
MichiH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2013, 08:26 PM   #148
Kemo

Likes (Received): 18786

Poland, (only) 55km
https://maps.google.pl/maps?saddr=S8...sz=17&t=m&z=10
Kemo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2013, 09:44 AM   #149
KaneD

Likes (Received): 324

New Zealand's longest 3x3 highway is only 20km and is on State Highway 1 from just south of Tristram Ave Interchange on the Auckland Northern Motorway running south through the Auckland CBD to Mt Wellington Interchange on the Auckland Southern Motorway. (It would be 33km if it weren't for the original 1950's 2x2 Thru-lane bridges located mid-interchange at Mt Wellington.)

What is interesting is that throughout much of that 20km, the number of lanes varies frequently with many parts being 3x4 and 4x4. The Auckland Harbour Bridge is part of this route and has 3 carriageways being 2x4x2 with a moveable barrier operating down the middle carriageway to provide 3x5 for peak periods, and 4x4 for other times. For approximately 1km each end of the bridge, the approaches are 5x5 to allow for streamlined operation of the moveable barrier.

The only caveat in my observation is that the route passes through Aucklands CBD at Central Motorway Junction, a bewildering layout of lanes from 3 major motorways, plus a short spur motorway running to the port with all ramps running between each motorway, and numerous on and off ramps close together leading to local roads in the CBD. It really is a confusing mess when you look at it on a map as everything is squeezed into a narrow gully running around the south of the CBD. As such, it's possible that there isn't quite a complete 3x3 minimum thru-lanes but I'm sure it is... in one point, there are 19 lanes of traffic squeezed on three levels into a gully with a local road bridge running over it... very messy... But it IS nice to drive on! Here is part of the interchange here...

alexandru.vladescu, zeeron liked this post

Last edited by KaneD; March 9th, 2014 at 01:10 PM.
KaneD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2013, 01:57 AM   #150
Singidunum
Grad Oblakodera

Likes (Received): 16174

Serbia cannot into 2x3

Potpišite peticiju protiv rušenja Generalštaba!
Singidunum no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2013, 12:33 PM   #151
Sisimoto the HUN

Likes (Received): 292

HUNGARY - We have few km's of motorways with 2X3 lanes!
Budapest:

Old section of M0, the south and west connecting M5,M6,M7 & M1 are under construction and upgrade from 2X2 --> 2X3 lanes! This section of 30km will be 2X3 lanes and the rest of the eastern section is 2X2 lanes! The missing north-western section of M0, with tunnels will be completed until 2020! Daily average traffic 25K vehicles on the whole 78 km of the M0!

Sisimoto the HUN no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2013, 01:44 PM   #152
arctic_carlos
Recondita armonia

Likes (Received): 3959

Spain: 250 km of tolled motorway AP-7 between La Jonquera (French border) and Salou are 2x3.

Bertolt Brecht
arctic_carlos está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2013, 08:21 PM   #153
Haljackey

Likes (Received): 107

In Canada I think Highway 401 takes the cake at 289.4 km with 6 lanes or more.

Source: added lane counts here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Highway_401_%28Ontario%29

One day the entire 800km+ highway is to be 6 lanes.

My Simcity Stuff
Haljackey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2013, 12:02 AM   #154
yohaniv

Likes (Received): 101

None in Slovenia. There were plans for Ljubljana ring and extensions up to Domžale and Vrhnika (60- 70 km all together), but crisis came and money no more. 2030? Maybe?
yohaniv no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2013, 05:02 PM   #155
Sisimoto the HUN

Likes (Received): 292

HUNGARY - Budapest - District XIX. Nagykőrösi road, 4km long section, connecting straight into M5 motorway! 2+1 bus/emergency lane! Soundbarrier building finalized all long this section, in the past few years only..

Sisimoto the HUN no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2013, 05:43 PM   #156
RV

Likes (Received): 275

Well when Ring III is repaired fully by 2016 and 2020, we will have around 15 or 20 Kms in Finland. Same with Ring I (2016), which will make roughly 12(?) Kms after they complete a short 2x2 section upgrade (started just). In the far future the longest section will be Road 1/E18 center-Palojärvi + Helsinki inner by-pass (if they srsly don't bury the project because of the Greens) + E75/4 up to Kerava = roughly some 70 Kms, and fully upgraded Ring I = 24 Kms.

Nowadays the longest section is Road 51 in Helsinki and Espoo (10 Kms?).
RV no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2013, 03:03 PM   #157
KIWIKAAS

Likes (Received): 752

The longest single stretch in Australia with 3 or more lanes per direction is the M1 from the M420 junction to Geelong at 94km (About 57km of that is 4-5 or more lanes each direction).

Last edited by KIWIKAAS; December 31st, 2013 at 03:09 PM.
KIWIKAAS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2013, 05:18 PM   #158
rarse

Likes (Received): 1

Austria

In Austria the longest 2x3 motorway is A1 west of Vienna from Knoten Steinhäusl (A1xA21) till Maierhöfen near Melk. This section is long about 54 km.

lafreak84 liked this post
rarse no está en línea   Reply With Quote