daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments

General Urban Developments Discussions of projects shorter than 100m/300ft. Also, please post all other threads not specified in other Development News subforums here.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 18th, 2010, 03:53 AM   #21
demichelis89

Likes (Received): 3

the biggest in whole Europe but what about in comparison with northamerica?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GENIUS LOCI View Post

Actually everytime a new mall is inaugurated the owners advertise it as the largest in Italy, in Europe, in the World, in the Solar System, in the Universe...
hahahahahahahaha!!!!!

PARAGUAY
GUARANÍ
TERE
Tourism ||| Tourism on SSC
demichelis89 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 24th, 2010, 11:42 AM   #22
italiano_pellicano
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickg View Post
i think it's going to be the biggest in the whole Europe but not actually in the world since in dubai there are larger ones!nonetheless it'll be kind of innovative as mall centre throughout european countries,italy as the first place.
mall of italy is more innovative than uae malls

italiano_pellicano no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2010, 11:01 AM   #23
Golden regerd

Likes (Received): 0

You have a Carcano Rifle but I don't know what caliber yours is in. You an trying Gun Parts Corporation or Springfield Sporters for a replacement bolt. Be advised that there is no way to assure the head spacing will be correct unless you have it fitted by a gunsmith.

Last edited by Golden regerd; May 28th, 2010 at 11:08 AM.
Golden regerd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2010, 12:50 PM   #24
Indictable

Likes (Received): 62

Very nice design, something different
Old August 13th, 2010, 07:19 AM   #25
demichelis89

any updates?? pics, pics...

PARAGUAY
GUARANÍ
TERE
Old October 26th, 2010, 01:55 PM   #26
dreamwebsolution

SEO Company

Professional <a href="http://www.dreamwebsolution.com/">SEO Service</a> and Internet marketing company near Kolkata, India. We offer best <a href="http://www. dreamwebsolution.com/">Local SEO Services</a>, Social Media and Link building services for all range of business and their sites.
dreamwebsolution no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2010, 08:33 AM   #27
Mr.Underground
BANNED

Likes (Received): 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightsky View Post
550 stores! Will it be the largest mall in Europe?
I knew that the biggest shopping mall in Europe is the mall that is U/C in Stratford, near the Olympic village of London 2012-
Mr.Underground no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2010, 01:22 AM   #28
Pfeuffer
BANNED

Likes (Received): 405

the biggest mall in the world is in manila, philippines !
Pfeuffer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2010, 05:54 AM   #29
demichelis89

source??

PARAGUAY
GUARANÍ
TERE
Old August 20th, 2011, 10:11 PM   #30
caniggia

approved !!!

http://milano.repubblica.it/cronaca/...ardo-20529392/
caniggia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2011, 06:46 PM   #31
italmikescar

Likes (Received): 1

This development worries me a little.
It seems that Europe has not learned from the past mistakes of North America.

Some serious questions that have to be asked about this mall are:

-How is this mall going to effect Milan City Centre shopping and other shopping districts. Will this mall kill off other shopping areas?

-While North American cities have learned their lessons and many are trying to stop outward development. Why is Milan promoting it with a mall like this?

-Why is there no train station right at the main entrance. Is promoting driving really a good thing when we are trying to move away from this? Even some North American cities like Toronto have Metro stops at almost all major malls in the city.

aria333 liked this post
italmikescar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2011, 11:43 PM   #32
tesseract
blackhat architect

Likes (Received): 1267

very good points.
tesseract no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2011, 02:37 AM   #33
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21227

Quote:
Originally Posted by italmikescar View Post
This development worries me a little.
It seems that Europe has not learned from the past mistakes of North America.
Why should Europeans refrain form certain comforts that are widespread in North America and Australia/NZ? Are were cursed to live like it were 1910 forever?

Quote:
-How is this mall going to effect Milan City Centre shopping and other shopping districts. Will this mall kill off other shopping areas?
Unlikely. Milan already have 3 out-of-town malls with large floor area within the ring road expressways, 7 large malls/outlets if you count those in the metro area as well. More demanded brands have multiple stores in both a street location and one or more malls.

This mall will be at least 2,5 times larger the the 2nd largest mall, so I'm glad they are aiming big.

The public that patronizes the shops on most central areas is not the same that patronizes the malls for most of it. So different clientele.

Quote:
-While North American cities have learned their lessons and many are trying to stop outward development. Why is Milan promoting it with a mall like this?
I doubt American cities stopping outward development (that is just wishful thinking). But even so, American and Canadian cities already have a healthy stock of malls and retail space that is lacking in many European countries. And Milan doesn't have such a large area in the middle of more build-up neighborhoods for a 500-store mall.

Quote:
-Why is there no train station right at the main entrance. Is promoting driving really a good thing when we are trying to move away from this? Even some North American cities like Toronto have Metro stops at almost all major malls in the city.
There is a rail station nearby, Segrate. It appears on the map. It's not feasible to move the station couple hundred meters to make it match the entrance of the mall, but landscaping and a long pedestrian causeway will connect the station with the mall entrance.

And I don't buy the "we are tying to move away". This consensus doesn't exist but on the wishful heads of certain extreme environmentalists, idealist, extremely poor but politicized people and so.

This development is a good addition to the city. And, frankly, with the financial crisis the province wouldn't be in a position to refuse development fees and revenue from an eager developer for such a big project anyway.
Old September 27th, 2011, 05:37 PM   #34
italmikescar

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
Why should Europeans refrain form certain comforts that are widespread in North America and Australia/NZ? Are were cursed to live like it were 1910 forever?
Believe me a mall is not a comfort. It is just a place to encourage people to spend more money than they have.

This is not about giving up comforts. It is about not eating away at what is already there.

One only need to look at American cities, where so many malls have been built, that it not only has eaten away at the central shopping areas, but now is eating away at other suburban malls. Leaving large swaths of vacant buildings and now suburban malls.

Quote:
This mall will be at least 2,5 times larger the the 2nd largest mall, so I'm glad they are aiming big.
As for aiming big, one need only look at West Edmonton Mall, which was so large when it opened, that is killed off the city centre shopping.

Quote:
I doubt American cities stopping outward development (that is just wishful thinking). But even so, American and Canadian cities already have a healthy stock of malls and retail space that is lacking in many European countries.
Actually outward development of retail is stopping on its own, because American cities(and to some extent Canadian cities) have much too much retail that the stores are actually not doing that well, because they have too many locations that cater to the same amount of people.

I would not call the stock of malls in North America healthy. It has caused massive issues from vacant city centres, to vacant malls, to corporate chain takovers, etc.

My main comment is to just watch what you are doing, because uncontrolled out of town retail development is not some great thing. It comes with a lot of problems that I would hope other countries would learn from the mistakes of North America.

Quote:
There is a rail station nearby, Segrate. It appears on the map. It's not feasible to move the station couple hundred meters to make it match the entrance of the mall, but landscaping and a long pedestrian causeway will connect the station with the mall entrance.
The mall should have been designed so the main entrance was next to the train stop.

Quote:
This development is a good addition to the city. And, frankly, with the financial crisis the province wouldn't be in a position to refuse development fees and revenue from an eager developer for such a big project anyway.
In a financial crisis one would have to wonder if this mall is needed, as it will just divert retail dollars from already existing malls and the city centre, to this mall.
These malls do not meet additional demand. They take demand from other locations, meaning you really are not making any more money than before.

Anyway I do not hate malls. I go in them once in a while, although I do try to do most of my shopping in the city centre, because it offers much more than a mall could ever offer.
But just don't go overboard.

Here in Canada, cities have had more control in limiting the amount of malls, than in American cities. The outcome is that American stores are trying to open in Canada as soon as they can, because Canadian malls and retail areas do double the amount of sales as American malls. The reason? America overbuilt and has too much retail.

I do hope European cities watch and control malls. Because North America is not something you want to follow. And I really do not understand the obsession with being like North America.
People don't come to a city to see a mall that has the same stores you find in Milan, New York, or Paris, etc. Or to eat at poor quality fast food places like Burger King.

You have an amazing culture, and that is something that is worth protecting and building on.

And not because I live in Toronto, but if you do build malls, at least build the transport like Toronto has. In Toronto, all but one of the major malls has a subway station in the mall. And all the buses from the surrounding suburbs centre on the mall, so people can get to the mall from any suburban area with usually only one bus.

In the extreme outer suburbs, where there is no subway, all the suburban buses meet at the malls, which have large transit stations.
italmikescar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2011, 06:41 PM   #35
Bori427

Likes (Received): 1808

How big will it be? Because 550 stores doesn't mean much if the stores are all little...
Bori427 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2011, 09:16 PM   #36
Eddard Stark
Keep your head

Likes (Received): 3828

Milan has already dozens malls (much more than what was said above). One more will not change the picture of the city center commerce which is very much alive thanks to high and medium -end businesses that cater sometimes to worldwide clients
Eddard Stark no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2013, 10:42 PM   #37
Alieno

Likes (Received): 110

The design of final project was changed and the name too (because they have done an agreement with Westfield Group). So it will be the new Westfield Milan:

Here an article:

Westfield Group, the world’s largest mall operator by assets, plans to build one of Europe’s biggest shopping malls in the fashion center of Milan

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-0...s-expands.html
Alieno no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
milan, milano