daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture > European Classic Architecture and Landscapes

European Classic Architecture and Landscapes All related to historical buildings and landscapes of the old world.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 5th, 2010, 12:06 PM   #1
Litaufen
BANNED

Likes (Received): 3

East Prussia (Königsberg city) - Lost European country

East Prussia(Königsberg)

East Prussia enclosed the bulk of the ancestral lands of the Baltic Old Prussians. During the 13th century, the native Prussians were conquered by the crusading Teutonic Knights. The indigenous Balts who survived the conquest were gradually converted to Christianity. Because of Germanization and colonisation over the following centuries, Germans became the dominant ethnic group, while Poles and Lithuanians formed minorities. From the 13th century, East Prussia was part of the monastic state of the Teutonic Knights, which became the Duchy of Prussia in 1525. The Old Prussian language had become extinct by the 17th or early 18th century.
In 1939 East Prussia had 2.49 million inhabitants, 85% of them ethnic Germans, the others Poles in the south, or Lietuvininkai speaking Lithuanian (Baltic) in the northeast. Most German East Prussians, Masurians, and Lietuvininkai were Lutheran, while the population of Ermland was maintly Roman Catholic due to the history of its bishopric.It was called 4 Baltic country.

In April 1946, northern East Prussia became an official province of the Russian SFSR as "Kenigsbergskaya Oblast", with the Memel Territory becoming part of the Lithuanian SSR. In June 1946 114,070 German and 41,029 Soviet citizens were registered in the Oblast, with an unknown number of disregarded unregistered persons. In July of that year, the historic city of Königsberg was renamed Kaliningrad to honour Mikhail Kalinin and the area named the Kaliningrad Oblast. Between 24 August and 26 October 1948 21 transports with in total 42,094 Germans left the Oblast to the Soviet Occupation Zone. The last remaining Germans left in November 1949 (1,401 persons) and January 1950 (7 persons).[18] After the expulsion of the German population ethnic Russians, Belarusians, and Ukrainians were settled in the northern part.

In the Soviet part of the region, a policy of eliminating all remnants of German history was pursued. All German place names were replaced with new Russian names. The exclave was a military zone which was closed for foreigners and even Soviet citizens could only enter with a special permission. In 1967 the remains of Königsberg Castle were destroyed by demolitions on the orders of Leonid Brezhnev to make way on the site for a new "House of the Soviets

Last edited by Litaufen; March 5th, 2010 at 01:04 PM.
Litaufen no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 6th, 2010, 01:59 AM   #2
Wielki Gmach

Likes (Received): 17

very beatiful city
Wielki Gmach no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2010, 06:10 PM   #3
Bluegate74

Likes (Received): 12

Any images of the new Soviet city of Kalingrad which replaced it?
Bluegate74 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2010, 07:48 PM   #4
EMH
live is life

Likes (Received): 1183

OMG is a beautiful city
EMH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2010, 09:10 PM   #5
Petr
Iroquois of Europe

Likes (Received): 2558

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluegate74 View Post
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=185865
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=449738
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=486893
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=508799
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1060203

Fortune can be inconstant. Teutonic knights introduced Christianity in Prussia by fire and sword, 7 centuries later Red Army introduced communism in Prussia by tanks and bombs...
Petr no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2010, 09:19 PM   #6
warden987

Likes (Received): 902

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluegate74 View Post
Sure

Visit this site http://savok.name/forum/topic_191

Last edited by warden987; March 11th, 2010 at 10:05 PM.
warden987 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2010, 09:28 PM   #7
warden987

del

Last edited by warden987; March 11th, 2010 at 10:01 PM.
Old March 11th, 2010, 09:39 PM   #8
Gamma-Hamster
BANNED

Likes (Received): 97

Gamma-Hamster no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2010, 09:42 PM   #9
warden987

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petr View Post
Fortune can be inconstant. Teutonic knights introduced Christianity in Prussia by fire and sword, 7 centuries later Red Army introduced communism in Prussia by tanks and bombs...
I think that it was quite a good recompense for 30 mln dead in the USSR of German tanks and bombs.
Old March 11th, 2010, 09:45 PM   #10
warden987

del

Last edited by warden987; March 11th, 2010 at 10:05 PM.
Old March 11th, 2010, 10:08 PM   #11
missioneiro

Likes (Received): 973

I became sick with these threads about the past... so much lost... I can't understand... so much treasuries lost!!!!

-> Ruinas de Sao Joao Batista - RS - http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=936386 [Saint John Ruins, old jesuitic town]
missioneiro no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2010, 02:44 AM   #12
Herbie Fully Loaded
מיץ תפוזים

Likes (Received): 24

This is probably the second largest lost after the fall of Rome in the hands of the huns.
Herbie Fully Loaded no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2010, 10:15 PM   #13
alekssa1

Likes (Received): 1787

>> Good pictures

In 1944 it suffered a lot under British air attacks. Most of old town was in ruins.
In 1945-1960s soviet government could not save that tiny historical part of city that was not destroyed before. Destroying a castle in 1960 was a big mistake.
Since 1990s the reconstruction started.

To the moment, there are old German churches and buildings as well as soviet squares and monuments. One of the newly reconstructed areas: picture 1, picture 2

Last edited by alekssa1; March 12th, 2010 at 10:23 PM.
alekssa1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2010, 11:24 PM   #14
Kanio

Likes (Received): 1147

Quote:
Originally Posted by Litaufen View Post
East Prussia(Königsberg)

[COLOR="DarkSlateGray"]East Prussia enclosed the bulk of the ancestral lands of the Baltic Old Prussians. During the 13th century, the native Prussians were conquered by the crusading Teutonic Knights. The indigenous Balts who survived the conquest were gradually converted to Christianity. Because of Germanization and colonisation over the following centuries, Germans became the dominant ethnic group, while Poles and Lithuanians formed minorities. From the 13th century, East Prussia was part of the monastic state of the Teutonic Knights, which became the Duchy of Prussia in 1525. The Old Prussian language had become extinct by the 17th or early 18th century.
In 1939 East Prussia had 2.49 million inhabitants, 85% of them ethnic Germans, the others Poles in the south, or Lietuvininkai speaking Lithuanian (Baltic) in the northeast. Most German East Prussians, Masurians, and Lietuvininkai were Lutheran, while the population of Ermland was maintly Roman Catholic due to the history of its bishopric.It was called 4 Baltic country.

In April 1946, northern East Prussia became an official province of the Russian SFSR as "Kenigsbergskaya Oblast", with the Memel Territory becoming part of the Lithuanian SSR.
Inaccurate. In 1466 Prussia was divided between the Teutonic Order and the polish Crown, due to the Second Peace of Thorn that concluded The Thirteen Years' War. One part, the Ermland (Warmia) together with the Pomerelia (around the city of Gdańsk) became a polish province called Royal Prussia and remained under polish rule until the first partition of Poland in 1772. This explains why the inhabitants of Warmia remained catholic.

East Prussia didn't become a soviet province, but only its tiny northern part around Koenigsberg. The rest nowadays belongs to Poland as Warmian-Masurian Voivodship.

It is worth mentioning that Koenigsberg was the birthtown of Germany's greatest philosopher Immanuel Kant who probably never left the city until his death.
Kanio no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2010, 09:10 PM   #15
beren_me

Likes (Received): 62

From here http://www.fotomarburg.de/bestaende/uebernahm/kieler .WWII aerial photographs,bird's-eye view mode, of Konigsberg.

beren_me no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2010, 09:11 PM   #16
beren_me

Old March 26th, 2010, 09:11 PM   #17
beren_me

Old March 26th, 2010, 09:12 PM   #18
beren_me