daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 11th, 2012, 04:26 PM   #321
hmmwv

Likes (Received): 420

It's probably a bad choice to use Sounder track as an example, judging from the picture it's the section between Seattle and Everett, and the track foundation and retaining wall are simply piss poor, so every time a heavy rain occurs the service will be interrupted due to mud slides and sinking tracks.
hmmwv no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 17th, 2012, 03:34 AM   #322
mgk920
Nonhyphenated-American

Likes (Received): 68

Porter, IN-Kalamazoo, MI upgrades

MDOT announcement on ongoing upgrades to the Amtrak-owned section of the 'Wolverine Line' trackage between Chicagoland and various points in the southern 'ElPee' of Michigan to 175 km/h:

(I hope that this can soon spread to Wisconsin and Amtrak's Hiawatha services.)

Mike
mgk920 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2012, 03:37 AM   #323
trainrover
:-x

Likes (Received): 738

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumors View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by trainrover View Post
A Northeast Regional café car comes to Montreal
trainrover no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2012, 03:41 AM   #324
trainrover

Butchest-looking diesel I've ever seen
Old February 17th, 2012, 04:24 PM   #325
aquaticko

Likes (Received): 1039

I don't know why the Midwest seems to be far outpacing the rest of the country, in terms of consistency of upgrading, but it makes me really excited to go to grad school in Chicago!
aquaticko no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2012, 09:31 PM   #326
hammersklavier
Feral

Likes (Received): 423

Quote:
Thank you. How often might the length of a daily Pennsylvanian be only three cars, do you know?
Nights and weekends, if that...? I usually see it pass with 5- or even 7-car consists.
hammersklavier no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2012, 09:38 PM   #327
FM 2258

Likes (Received): 612

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgk920 View Post
MDOT announcement on ongoing upgrades to the Amtrak-owned section of the 'Wolverine Line' trackage between Chicagoland and various points in the southern 'ElPee' of Michigan to 175 km/h:

(I hope that this can soon spread to Wisconsin and Amtrak's Hiawatha services.)

Mike
This is really cool.
FM 2258 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2012, 11:41 PM   #328
trainrover

It'd be cooler were it done without adding any other loco
Quote:
the matter of North American railway operators simply being over zealous using multiple locos
I'm curious to learn what the 110MPH segment will be like when it comes to trespassers and livestock ... fencing ...

Last edited by trainrover; February 17th, 2012 at 11:46 PM.
Old February 18th, 2012, 04:29 AM   #329
mgk920
Nonhyphenated-American

Likes (Received): 68

Quote:
It'd be cooler were it done without adding any other loco I'm curious to learn what the 110MPH segment will be like when it comes to trespassers and livestock ... fencing ...
Probably like it was in the first half of the 20th century - when trains all over regularly went that fast.

Mike
mgk920 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2012, 10:45 PM   #330
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17044

Visit the New Jersey Section
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2012, 11:58 PM   #331
MK Tom

Likes (Received): 324

Great to see the 110mph running - Amtrak's big problem is their insistence on sticking with the outdated concept of a locomotive and some carriages. If they started using multiple units or at least fixed push-pull sets they'd make massive economic savings and open up the door to higher speeds.

Please check out my MKT Transport Media website and Youtube channel for my transport photography and videos.
MK Tom no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2012, 03:30 AM   #332
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Old March 11th, 2012, 06:04 PM   #333
IanCleverly
A New Kind of Medicine

Likes (Received): 230

Fancy a cabride on the Manassas Line of the Virginia Railway Express? Course you do

IanCleverly no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2012, 03:00 AM   #334
Neb81

Likes (Received): 71

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK Tom View Post
Great to see the 110mph running - Amtrak's big problem is their insistence on sticking with the outdated concept of a locomotive and some carriages. If they started using multiple units or at least fixed push-pull sets they'd make massive economic savings and open up the door to higher speeds.
I agree, a lot of Amtrak stock is very inefficient compared to the a lot of equipment used in Europe and Asia. That said, much of this is out of Amtraks hands. The real problem is the outdated and backward looking FRA safety regulations that make it virtually impossible to operate the modern integrated family EMU/DMU designs used elsewhere (I.e. the Coradia or the Desiro classes). Given that the US passenger train market is small compared to the EU or Asia, it doesn't pay manufacturers to design to FRA specifications, it makes it very hard for any US (or Canadian) operators to get hold of modern DMU/EMU for mainline use.

Even if a design were made (such as the Acela), it tends to be expesive (due to restricted production run and limited market) and less efficient, due to having to comply things like a very high "minimum weight" rule which actively works against modern EMU/DMU designs, which often focus on minimising weight to improve performance and reduce track wear. The Cascades service exemplifies a lot of the problems faced with trying to bring Talgo technology onto US tracks.

Amtrak really needs to team up with the commuter/regional rail operators to push the FRA to modernise the regulatory framework to allow them to use modern equipment from the standard DMU/EMU families. The cost of the new train-sets would be quickly recouped through lower operating/maintenance costs and improved reliability.
Neb81 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2012, 08:52 AM   #335
FM 2258

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis View Post
I thought the Metro North used overhead power lines. Maybe this isn't the line to New Haven. Cool video.
Old March 13th, 2012, 09:16 AM   #336
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by FM 2258 View Post
I thought the Metro North used overhead power lines. Maybe this isn't the line to New Haven. Cool video.
From GCT to Pelham they use 3rd rail , the switchover is in Pelham and seen below...

Old March 14th, 2012, 06:15 AM   #337
FM 2258

It's cool seeing the "things" going up and down. Also great video on the LIRR extension to Grand Central Terminal. That would be great for people who want to get from JFK to Grand Central.
Old March 15th, 2012, 10:37 AM   #338
Cal_Escapee
In Search of Sanity

Likes (Received): 10283

Quote:
High-speed rail panel promises changes
Michael Cabanatuan
Thursday, March 15, 2012

When the California High-Speed Rail Authority finishes tweaking its business plan in a few weeks, expect the cost to drop, the construction time to be shortened and improvements along the Peninsula and in Southern California to be added.

Speaking before a state Senate committee and hundreds of observers in Mountain View on Tuesday night, Dan Richard, chairman of the rail authority board, offered a preview of the changes . . . .

The top concerns . . . included speeding construction of the project, cutting the cost, delivering rail improvements sooner to the metropolitan "bookends" of the project, and making sure the 130-mile stretch of tracks scheduled for construction in the Central Valley don't become a useless $6 billion investment . . . .

The key to the revisions, Richard and Hartnett explained, lies in the so-called blended approach that relies on incorporating Caltrain and Southern California's Metrolink regional commuter line into the system. The authority signed an agreement with Southern California agencies last month, and Bay Area officials are preparing a plan that would electrify Caltrain and outfit it with advanced train control systems that would not only beef up commuter rail service, but also allow high-speed rail to share the tracks . . . .
Source: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...BAK31NKQ2L.DTL
Cal_Escapee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2012, 11:35 AM   #339
Sopomon
Hideous and malformed

Likes (Received): 153

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal_Escapee View Post

I'd be horrified if this then meant it was more difficult for HSR trains to get FRA exemptions and become the disgusting metal monsters we're so used to seeing from the states. I wish some politician would wade in and completely abolish that heinous act.
Old March 15th, 2012, 06:40 PM   #340
aquaticko

Likes (Received): 1039

You'd think that, even with only the moderate amount of interest in improved passenger rail around the country, they'd talk more about updating or just changing the numerous regulations which have helped to slow down or kill high speed trains. At least it sounds as though the CAHSR system is being treated as something worth doing right; it's an attitude that treats the whole thing more seriously.
aquaticko no está en línea   Reply With Quote