daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 15th, 2012, 09:14 PM   #341
Cal_Escapee
In Search of Sanity

Likes (Received): 10283

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainrover View Post
I'm curious to learn what the 110MPH segment will be like when it comes to trespassers and livestock ... fencing ...
How can they have 110 mph trains on lines with grade crossings (fancy gates or not)?
Cal_Escapee no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 16th, 2012, 09:42 AM   #342
Sopomon
Hideous and malformed

Likes (Received): 153

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquaticko View Post
You'd think that, even with only the moderate amount of interest in improved passenger rail around the country, they'd talk more about updating or just changing the numerous regulations which have helped to slow down or kill high speed trains. At least it sounds as though the CAHSR system is being treated as something worth doing right; it's an attitude that treats the whole thing more seriously.
So am I right in saying that pretty much nothing is happening on the front of changing the FRA regulations?
Old March 16th, 2012, 05:04 PM   #343
aquaticko

Likes (Received): 1039

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sopomon View Post
So am I right in saying that pretty much nothing is happening on the front of changing the FRA regulations?
Truth be told, I haven't looked into it too much, but I haven't heard anything.
aquaticko no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2012, 10:46 PM   #344
trainrover
:-x

Likes (Received): 738

Exactly, Cal Escapee.
trainrover no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2012, 12:20 PM   #345
XAN_

Likes (Received): 760

I heard that Californians somehow got a waiver for the structure of their trains, so they dont need to use that overweighted cars in future.
-H. Kürsch, 2002

Last edited by XAN_; March 20th, 2012 at 07:49 AM.
XAN_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2012, 04:13 PM   #346
Silver Swordsman

Likes (Received): 101

I think the biggest issue why the FRA mandates are there is based on the state of the infrastructure: the reason why the Acela still has to follow the minimum weight specifications is because the NEC itself is nearly a hundred years old with little to no modifications, and the reason why train services in areas outside of the NEC are limited to 79 mph is because the freight companies refused to install ATC systems.

So, I'd imagine that in the event that CHSR has proved itself to be completely modern (not running on outdated rail infrastructure), I don't see how FRA mandates would apply. If so, I'm pretty sure Obama would find a way to repeal them (it was Obama who pushed for HSR in the first place).
Old March 18th, 2012, 06:22 PM   #347
MarneGator

Likes (Received): 46

@Silver Swordsman: The Acela is hobbled by FRA regs not because the NEC is "nearly a hundred years old with little to no modifications", but rather that it's a mixed traffic environment, with commuter and (especially) freight trains. If the tracks connect to the larger US rail network and a slower train, especially of the freight variety, runs on the track, the FRA and its terrible regulations take effect (some degree of waivers excepted).
Old March 18th, 2012, 10:46 PM   #348
trainrover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Swordsman View Post
freight companies refused
Disagree. Ownership of the refusal lies with the regulator, authority.
Old March 19th, 2012, 12:41 AM   #349
Sopomon
Hideous and malformed

Likes (Received): 153

Quote:
If so, I'm pretty sure Obama would find a way to repeal them (it was Obama who pushed for HSR in the first place).
I can only hope
Old March 19th, 2012, 08:03 AM   #350
Silver Swordsman

Likes (Received): 101

Quote:
Disagree. Ownership of the refusal lies with the regulator, authority.
I beg to differ. I may have been wrong about the reason for implementing regulations, but I remember clearly that the 79 mph limit was set for stretches of track that did not have PTC or ATC installed. All freight companies balked at the costs, and the only reason why Amtrak trains operate at increased speeds in Michigan and the NEC is because they installed ATC or an equivalent.
Old March 19th, 2012, 09:44 AM   #351
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17044

Some freight companies like BSNF , NS and smaller companies have finally cracked and will install ATC and PTC on some main lines and branches were they hinted at starting up a passenger service. BSNF and NS are pro-HSR and commuter rail....so a little push and they'll do it.
Visit the New Jersey Section
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2012, 04:54 PM   #352
aquaticko

Likes (Received): 1039

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis View Post
Some freight companies like BSNF , NS and smaller companies have finally cracked and will install ATC and PTC on some main lines and branches were they hinted at starting up a passenger service. BSNF and NS are pro-HSR and commuter rail....so a little push and they'll do it.
I'm curious, what would reasons are there for a freight company to be pro-passenger rail, particularly when an increase in services isn't, for the most part, going to accompanied by construction of new track? Or are they hoping that, assuming passenger rail is successful, new track will eventually be built and they can then have their lines entirely to themselves?
aquaticko no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2012, 05:01 PM   #353
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17044

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquaticko View Post
I'm curious, what would reasons are there for a freight company to be pro-passenger rail, particularly when an increase in services isn't, for the most part, going to accompanied by construction of new track? Or are they hoping that, assuming passenger rail is successful, new track will eventually be built and they can then have their lines entirely to themselves?
It makes them look better on the state level and then they can get state funding for smaller projects like restoring branches to Industrial parks and grade separations. The smaller companies do the same and some are trying to get back into the business. I think has to do with improving image....and getting funding. Alot of the Class 1 Railroads have a bad public image and not so nice relationship on the state level....
Visit the New Jersey Section
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2012, 06:38 PM   #354
trainrover

Quote:
I beg to differ.
Were the regulations, legislation in place, then what likelihood of existent rogue operators, track owners would there be?
Old March 20th, 2012, 07:51 AM   #355
XAN_

Likes (Received): 760

Quote:
So, I'd imagine that in the event that CHSR has proved itself to be completely modern (not running on outdated rail infrastructure), I don't see how FRA mandates would apply. If so, I'm pretty sure Obama would find a way to repeal them (it was Obama who pushed for HSR in the first place).
Well, AFAIK the last stretch to SF would be the regular Caltrian track, wich is freight-anabled anyway, isn't it?
-H. Kürsch, 2002
XAN_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2012, 04:18 AM   #356
krnboy1009

Likes (Received): 169

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis View Post
It makes them look better on the state level and then they can get state funding for smaller projects like restoring branches to Industrial parks and grade separations. The smaller companies do the same and some are trying to get back into the business. I think has to do with improving image....and getting funding. Alot of the Class 1 Railroads have a bad public image and not so nice relationship on the state level....
If freight companies support running commuter/intercity trains then they can get what is essentially free upgrades for their tracks.

Some of the freight rail line old and worn.
krnboy1009 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2012, 06:44 PM   #357
trainrover

As much as I like Amfleet, is there any plan in the works at replacing this aging stock?

clickable...

Something tells me that the topic of any stock replacement hasn't appeared on any Amtrak agenda for the last few years ...
Old March 23rd, 2012, 12:31 AM   #358
Fan Railer

Likes (Received): 568

Quote:
As much as I like Amfleet, is there any plan in the works at replacing this aging stock?

Something tells me that the topic of any stock replacement hasn't appeared on any Amtrak agenda for the last few years ...
Wrong; Amtrak has already drafted plans for a fleet replacement cycle spanning the next 40 or so years.

http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/Conten...=1241245669222

Go down to "Comprehensive Business Plan" and read the Fleet Strategy Plan document.

In addition, 130 Viewliner II's are already on order with an additional 70 on option, as mentioned elsewhere before. Superliner III and Amfleet III specifications have been drafted and approved, along with a new generation of higher speed Diesel electrics. And finally, 70 Siemens Electrics are on order for 2013-2016 to replace all electric locomotives running on the NEC.
Fan Railer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2012, 01:21 AM   #359
trainrover

Drafted? Except for the electric loco replacement, a development which I myself seem to remember having learned about some time while ago, I must be right No image of any one of the trailers you've mentioned appears to exist online. What stock would Viewliner II be replacing?
Old March 23rd, 2012, 07:11 PM   #360
Gag Halfrunt

Likes (Received): 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by XAN_ View Post
I heard that Californians somehow got a waiver for the structure of their trains, so they dont need to use that overweighted cars in future.
Caltrain (which runs one line in the Bay Area) has obtained a waiver from FRA crashworthiness regulations, but only for double decker EMUs. There are no existing FRA-compliant designs for double decker EMUs. Caltrain currently runs bilevel cars hauled by diesel locomotives, but it plans to electrify the line.

The waiver does not apply to any other operator or to any rolling stock except double decker EMUs.
Gag Halfrunt no está en línea   Reply With Quote