daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 25th, 2012, 01:39 AM   #361
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17037

SEPTA

NJT

Visit the New Jersey Section
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 26th, 2012, 12:20 AM   #362
trainrover
:-x

Likes (Received): 738

trainrover no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2012, 01:18 AM   #363
Fan Railer

Likes (Received): 567

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainrover View Post
Drafted? Except for the electric loco replacement, a development which I myself seem to remember having learned about some time while ago, I must be right No image of any one of the trailers you've mentioned appears to exist online. What stock would Viewliner II be replacing?
Well, just because you don't find images online, does not mean that it is not on the Amtrak agenda.

http://www.highspeed-rail.org/Pages/DocsSpecs.aspx
http://www.trainorders.com/discussio....php?4,2267845

Just scroll through. These are all the design specifications that have been approved by Amtrak for about a year or two now. We are just waiting for contract tenders to surface, an event that should occur within the next year or two.

The Viewliner II is considered fleet expansion, not replacement, but regardless, it still represents the first in a long list of Amtrak rolling stock procurements to come.
Fan Railer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2012, 02:12 AM   #364
trainrover

Was hoping any would've migrated from agenda to action item, oh well.
Old March 28th, 2012, 02:36 AM   #365
trainrover

Anybody else make out the 2nd danger?
Old March 28th, 2012, 08:17 AM   #366
pi_malejana

Likes (Received): 188

lol so random... and no i couldn't make out the 2nd danger, electrocution??

i thought signals would be on poles much like traffic lights in roads??
Old March 28th, 2012, 09:21 AM   #367
hmmwv

Likes (Received): 420

They don't have in cab signaling?
hmmwv no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2012, 10:40 PM   #368
trainrover

Call me overly cautious if you wish to but I find further danger signalled by the driver's choice of cab side for his descent and ascent.
Old March 29th, 2012, 03:01 AM   #369
Fan Railer

Likes (Received): 567

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmmwv View Post
They don't have in cab signaling?
They do, but I suppose that having a wayside signal covered up with snow is dangerous anyways....
Fan Railer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2012, 03:10 AM   #370
Cal_Escapee
In Search of Sanity

Likes (Received): 10283

Quote:
Originally Posted by XAN_ View Post
Well, AFAIK the last stretch to SF would be the regular Caltrian track, wich is freight-anabled anyway, isn't it?
That isn't certain. The original plan called for new track between SF and San Jose for HSR--making 4 tracks in the right of way. Recently, in order to make the "HSR to nowhere (the Central Valley)" crowd happy, some of the HSR money is going to be spent to electrify CalTrain and some money may be saved on the ultimate cost of the project running the high speed trains on the same tracks as the new electrified CalTrain for that segment.

At the moment, the tracks CalTrain uses also does handle some freight (at night), yes. But I don't know if those will be replaced as part of the electrification/HSR project.
Cal_Escapee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2012, 01:15 PM   #371
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Top Regional Rail Networks by 2050

Midwestern Regional Rail Network - OH - IN - IL - MI - WI - MN - MO - KS - NB - ND - SD
Size in 2012 : 527.7 Mi
Size by 2050 : 2740 Mi
Electric lines in 2012 : 76 Mi
Electric lines by 2050 : 890 Mi
Number of lines in 2012 : 12
Number of lines by 2050 : 36
Top Speed 2012 : 100mph
Top Speed 2050 : 125mph
Daily Ridership in 2012 : 304,600
Daily Ridership in 2030 : 780,000

Northeastern Regional Rail Network - NJ - NY - CT - DE - MA - RI - NH - ME - VT - PA - MD - DC - VA
Size in 2012 : 3493 Mi
Size by 2050 : 9,300 Mi
Electric lines in 2012 : 2150 Mi
Electric lines by 2050 : 8,400 Mi
Number of lines in 2012 : 64
Number of lines by 2050 : 134
Top Speed in 2012 : 125mph
Top Speed in 2012 : 125mph
Daily Ridership in 2012 : 1.6 Million
Daily Ridership by 2030 : 3.6 Million

California Regional Rail Network
Size in 2012 : 716 Mi
Size by 2050 : 892 Mi
Number of lines in 2012 : 12
Number of lines by 2050 : 17
Electric lines in 2012 : 0 Mi
Electric lines by 2050 : 630 Mi
Top Speed in 2012 : 90mph
Top Speed in by 2050 : 125mph
Daily Ridership in 2012 : 107,500
Daily Ridership by 2030 : 480,200

Last edited by Nexis; April 9th, 2012 at 01:40 PM.
Old April 9th, 2012, 07:20 PM   #372
aquaticko

Likes (Received): 1034

I'm curious, Nexis, where do you get these figures?
aquaticko no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2012, 03:45 AM   #373
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquaticko View Post
I'm curious, Nexis, where do you get these figures?
Various state agencies , and powerful Transit advocates who 95% the time get there projects.
Old April 11th, 2012, 12:33 AM   #374
trainrover

Advocates must be too few ...
Old April 17th, 2012, 01:11 PM   #375
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18195

I didn't see any mention of the expected train speed so I presume it's going to be conventional rail:

Florida East Coast Industries, Inc. Announces Plans
for Private Passenger Rail Service in Florida

Nation’s First-of-its-Kind Privately Owned and Operated System
Will Connect Florida’s Largest Cities

Press Release

MIAMI (March 22, 2012) — Florida East Coast Industries, Inc. (FECI), the owner of Florida’s premier passenger rail corridor, is developing a privately owned, operated and maintained passenger rail service to connect South Florida and Orlando, which will be operational in 2014. By connecting the most visited city in the United States with South Florida’s business and vacation destinations, the passenger rail project, called All Aboard Florida, is designed to serve Florida’s growing number of business travelers, as well as families and tourists traveling for pleasure.

The All Aboard Florida passenger rail project will connect South Florida to Orlando through a 240-mile route combining 200 miles of existing tracks between Miami and Cocoa and the creation of 40 miles of new track to complete the route to Orlando. Eventually the system could be expanded with connections to Tampa and Jacksonville.

More than fifty million people travel between South and Central Florida annually, largely over highly congested highways. All Aboard Florida is envisioned to transform the way people travel throughout the state, offering a faster, safer, and more enjoyable mode of transportation between Florida’s two largest metropolitan areas.

Targeted to begin service in 2014, the approximately $1 billion project will operate on a regular schedule throughout the day transporting business and leisure passengers between South Florida and Orlando in approximately three hours. This new, convenient, affordable, fast and environmentally friendly intercity passenger rail service is expected to:

(1) CREATE JOBS AND GROW FLORIDA’S ECONOMY—approximately 6,000 direct jobs will be needed to construct the system and over 1,000 more jobs to operate and maintain it; new economic development opportunities also will be created for communities along the route;

(2) PROTECT THE ENVIRONMENT—the service will take millions of vehicles off Florida’s roadways, resulting in a reduction in auto emissions and allowing for a far more fuel-efficient alternative to the automobile at this time of escalating gas prices;

(3) ENSURE SPEED AND RELIABILITY—travel time between regions will be approximately three hours and train service will be frequent throughout the day;

(4) PROTECT EXISTING FREIGHT CAPACITY—the new passenger service will not affect freight capacity in the rail corridor, thereby supporting Florida’s role in international commerce and allowing more intermodal freight movements.

By adding an entirely new travel choice, the All Aboard Florida passenger rail service will provide a high-quality experience for travelers. The system will include business- and coach-class service with advance purchase reserved seating, gourmet meals, Wi-Fi, and the ability to work productively throughout the entire trip. In addition, stations in Miami, Fort Lauderdale, West Palm Beach and Orlando mean convenient transfers to Metrorail, Metromover or SunRail, allowing passengers to reach their final destination.

FECI began a feasibility analysis for the project several months ago. Additionally, an investment grade ridership study and engineering work to design the system are underway. Today’s announcement marks the beginning of working in depth with local, state and federal officials, as well as the communities along the route.

###

Florida East Coast Industries, Inc. (FECI), through its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a major owner and developer of real estate and transportation-related businesses within the State of Florida. Headquartered in Coral Gables, FL, FECI has a rich history dating back over a century when Henry Flagler first established the company and became a pioneer in the development of Florida’s eastern coast. Today, the company owns, manages, develops and leases commercial real estate properties, and its affiliate, the Florida East Coast Railway, L.L.C., owns the railroad over which freight is transported.

All Aboard Florida is an intercity passenger rail project that will connect South Florida to Orlando with intermediate stations in Fort Lauderdale and West Palm Beach. This rail service will give Floridians and visitors a viable transportation alternative to congested highways and airport terminals. All Aboard Florida will provide a high-quality experience for passengers and will be the first privately owned, operated, and maintained passenger rail system in the United States.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2012, 12:50 AM   #376
ADCS
Kickin' it

Likes (Received): 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by krnboy1009 View Post
If freight companies support running commuter/intercity trains then they can get what is essentially free upgrades for their tracks.

Some of the freight rail line old and worn.
I think I heard a while back that UP would be interested in electrifying some of its mainlines. I'm sure they'd prefer the guv'mint to do the job for them.
ADCS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2012, 01:03 AM   #377
krnboy1009

Likes (Received): 169

Yea, but depends on where though. If its near major city and can have commuter trains use it as well, then its worth the investment.
krnboy1009 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2012, 01:07 AM   #378
ADCS
Kickin' it

Likes (Received): 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by krnboy1009 View Post
Yea, but depends on where though. If its near major city and can have commuter trains use it as well, then its worth the investment.
It could also be a useful jobs/stimulus-type project. It would take a lot of workers to electrify the major mainlines, while GE and EMD would appreciate the glut of locomotive orders.
ADCS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2012, 01:24 AM   #379
krnboy1009

Likes (Received): 169

Yep, creations of jobs is always a factor.

Dont expect any electrifications of anymore tracks anytime soon though.
krnboy1009 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2012, 03:26 PM   #380
Silver Swordsman

Likes (Received): 101

What's the expected operating speed of Florida's new rail line? If they install in-cab signalling, they can do away with the FRA limitation of 79 mph.