daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 28th, 2012, 11:41 PM   #401
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17044

Quote:
Originally Posted by krnboy1009 View Post
The single tracked parts of Port Washington branch really needs to be double tracked. one of the busiest LIRR routes...
Theres no room....
Visit the New Jersey Section
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 29th, 2012, 12:17 AM   #402
IanCleverly
A New Kind of Medicine

Likes (Received): 230

Quote:
Originally Posted by USA Today
How car-centric is your city? Public transit ranked

How easy would it be to leave your car behind or not even have one? A new ranking of U.S. cities Thursday, based on their public transit systems, offers a clue and perhaps some surprises.

As might be expected, New York, San Francisco, Boston and Washington, D.C. top the list of 25 cities, but Miami comes it at eighth place and Los Angeles at 11th, according to the analysis by Walk Score, a website that scores homes and neighborhoods for walkability. Eco-friendly Austin, Texas, ranks 21st, while the other bottom cities include Raleigh (North Carolina), Columbus (Ohio) Las Vegas and Sacramento.

<snip>

His group says using public transit saves individuals big bucks estimated at more than $10,000 a year by the American Public Transportation Association. It also notes that young adults are leading the trend toward driving less. The average annual number of vehicle miles traveled by 16- to 34-year-olds in the U.S. fell 23% between 2001 and 2009, according to a study released earlier this month by U.S. PIRG, a federation of consumer groups.

Here's how Walk Score ranks 25 U.S. cities:

(1) New York (Transit Score: 81)

(2) San Francisco (Transit Score: 80)

(3) Boston (Transit Score: 74)

(4) Washington, DC (Transit Score: 69)

(5) Philadelphia (Transit Score: 68)

(6) Chicago (Transit Score: 65)

(7) Seattle (Transit Score: 59)

(8) Miami (Transit Score: 57)

(9) Baltimore (Transit Score: 57)

(10) Portland (Transit Score: 50)
Read the rest of the story for cities 11-25 Here
IanCleverly no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2012, 12:31 AM   #403
trainrover
:-x

Likes (Received): 738

The validity of that list is highly dubious, N Americans do lean toward doctoring their statistics. Only three of the top ten municipalities there bear populations exceeding one million. Funny how N Americans screw around with the context of city versus metropolitan/urban area. It's (Greater?) Frisco's high rating that's set me off here
trainrover no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2012, 06:21 AM   #404
Fan Railer

Likes (Received): 568

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainrover View Post
The validity of that list is highly dubious, N Americans do lean toward doctoring their statistics. Only three of the top ten municipalities there bear populations exceeding one million. Funny how N Americans screw around with the context of city versus metropolitan/urban area. It's (Greater?) Frisco's high rating that's set me off here
I wouldn't be so quick to judge, considering that SF (and Greater SF) does have a decent transit system, in terms of busing. Rail not so much, but in downtown, they do have the MUNI light rail system and Caltrain down to San Jose.

I wouldn't go so far as to say that these are "doctored" statistics either. The first six cities on the list do have extensive transit systems, although I wouldn't put SF second on the list either.
Fan Railer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2012, 03:18 AM   #405
trainrover

It's more a case of either the statisticians or journalists themselves being too speedy ... no distinction's made in the report between the communities' municipal or metropolitan areas, thus its tale's unclear.

Anyhow, reported to be the continent's most powerful loco, it's queer that Amtrak literature refrains from covering their HHP-8 the past several years, be it in writing or any image. Furthermore, the speed of MARC's commuter train hauled by their HHP-8s featured in the following video amazes me, I never knew

I suppose motorizing the retractable mirror to the HHP-8s is integral to its streamlining :

Old May 1st, 2012, 09:54 AM   #406
Sopomon
Hideous and malformed

Likes (Received): 153

Quote:

I suppose motorizing the retractable mirror to the HHP-8s is integral to its streamlining :

Is that a station?

If so, that's an utter joke.
Old May 1st, 2012, 03:01 PM   #407
k.k.jetcar

Likes (Received): 452

Quote:
Is that a station?

If so, that's an utter joke.
Not unusual for a commuter station. They use bus shelters. No community pride. Even some Amtrak stops use them, thus the monicker "Amshack".
k.k.jetcar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2012, 06:25 PM   #408
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21249

"Community pride"? I agree there should be better stations, but out of safety and comfort, not "pride".

Pride is irrelevant for any transportation system.
Old May 1st, 2012, 08:40 PM   #409
Silly_Walks

Likes (Received): 836

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
"Community pride"? I agree there should be better stations, but out of safety and comfort, not "pride".

Pride is irrelevant for any transportation system.
Actually, pride can create public pressure on politicians or companies to improve things.
Silly_Walks no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2012, 08:44 PM   #410
krnboy1009

Likes (Received): 169

^I have seen worse looking stops in Europe. Its not a busy station and not every MARC trains running through there stops there I imagine so no need to be all fancy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by k.k.jetcar View Post
Not unusual for a commuter station. They use bus shelters. No community pride. Even some Amtrak stops use them, thus the monicker "Amshack".
Theres no Amshack along the Northeast corridor. Every Amtrak stops has proper station buildings. I think every one of them are manned too.
krnboy1009 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2012, 09:24 PM   #411
trainrover

Proof that MARC must've bent over backwards creating its very own CRAMshak(s)
Old May 2nd, 2012, 09:47 AM   #412
Sopomon
Hideous and malformed

Likes (Received): 153

Quote:
^I have seen worse looking stops in Europe. Its not a busy station and not every MARC trains running through there stops there I imagine so no need to be all fancy.

Theres no Amshack along the Northeast corridor. Every Amtrak stops has proper station buildings. I think every one of them are manned too.
Yeah, but come on, is it really that hard to build a poxy little pedestrain bridge and platform? I'm sure it's not good for timetabling either.
Old May 2nd, 2012, 10:33 AM   #413
Spikespiegel
Used Registrant

Likes (Received): 27

Quote:
^I have seen worse looking stops in Europe.
I have not seen worse in Europe...

The worst in my country is probably H°velte, which was built as a temporary stepping board for unloading soldiers to the nearby barracks... But even that has a full length platform:

(Photo from Wikipedia)
Spikespiegel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2012, 12:51 AM   #414
trainrover

Comments to at least a couple of videos featuring MARC's HHP-8 loco claim there be a difference between MARC's and Amtrak's
versions of this model. If so, then how come their class names don't differ? I mistook 'HHP-8s' as a separate designation, whereas
the 's' was used for the sake of multiplicity. Is there indeed any difference between the operators' versions?

See page 52...

Clickable...

Last edited by trainrover; May 4th, 2012 at 01:29 AM.
Old May 3rd, 2012, 01:30 AM   #415
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17044

Newark Penn Station

*Yes the Platforms , Roof , Wires , Approaches are getting replaced it will take 10 years but its happening as we speak. The Dock Bridge will be getting painted and all Signals will be LED Bulbs...

Waiting Area..

image hosted on flickr

DSCN4042 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

DSCN4043 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

Trackside ....

image hosted on flickr

DSCN3622 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

DSCN3621 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

DSCN4047 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

DSCN4046 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

DSCN4045 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

DSCN4041 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

DSCN4223 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

DSCN4220 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

DSCN4217 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

DSCN4208 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

DSCN4207 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

DSCN4205 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

DSCN4201 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

DSCN4197 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

Outside

image hosted on flickr

DSCN4196 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

Approaches

image hosted on flickr

DSCN4180 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

DSCN4179 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr
Visit the New Jersey Section
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2012, 03:21 AM   #416
Fan Railer

Quote:
Comments to at least a couple of videos featuring MARC's HHP-8 loco claim there be a difference between MARC's and Amtrak's
versions of this model. If so, then how come their class names don't differ? I mistook 'HHP-8s' as a separate designation, whereas
the 's' was used for the sake of multiplicity. Is there indeed any difference between the operators' versions?

See page 52...

Clickable...
What differences, exactly? I'm not aware of the existence of such variation. Besides, if there is any at all, it would be minimal, and seeing as the locomotives were all purchased and built in the same time period of a couple of years, there's no reason to designate them differently.
Old May 4th, 2012, 03:37 AM   #417
trainrover

Stubby nose to MARC's fleet, was one such claim ... if true, then the practice of not designating the models differing class names would be queer.
Old May 5th, 2012, 06:23 PM   #418
Fan Railer

Quote:
Stubby nose to MARC's fleet, was one such claim ... if true, then the practice of not designating the models differing class names would be queer.
If it's dimension differences, it would be minimal if any. Specifications for the locomotive show both MARC and Amtrak units have the same specs.
Old May 10th, 2012, 02:29 AM   #419
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

Likes (Received): 5764

Fairfield Patch
http://fairfield.patch.com/articles/...o-north-delays

Quote:
Squirrel Causes Metro North Delays
By Barbara Heins
5:30 pm (May 9 2012)
Metro North says the rodent shorted a transformer at the Cos Cob power substation, stopping trains.

A squirrel was the cause of Wednesday's power outage on Metro-North, delaying thousands of commuters during the morning rush hour.

According to a Metro-North statement released shortly after 4 p.m. Wednesday, "The delays of up to 45 minutes that you experienced during your morning commute resulted from the loss of catenary power from Greenwich to Harrison shortly before 7 AM.

"This power loss was caused by a ground to the electrical feed at the substation in Cos Cob. This was caused when a squirrel entered the area and shorted a transformer.

"We immediately dispatched an emergency crew to the substation where they reset the relays for power protection. Once this was done, our Power Control Center personnel in Grand Central were able to restore power to the area by 7:25 AM.

"We quickly devised a plan to operate a limited number of available trains between New Rochelle and Grand Central, however, because this occurred at the height of our rush hour, a backlog of trains began to build, causing further delays."

The railroad also issued an explanation for delays occurring during the Tuesday evening rush hour which were due to a failed Con Edison power cable that caused sparking from the ceiling of the Park Avenue Tunnel shortly after 6 PM.

"The dangerous condition, occurring in the vicinity of 51st Street, affected an area approximately 30 - 50 feet wide. The burning cable caused several small fires at track level and prohibited us from using the tracks on the west side of the Terminal from track 24 to track 42. As a result, our operating flexibility into/out of Grand Central was severely limited during the height of the evening rush hour. We were able to operate outbound service from Grand Central with 15-20 minute delays; inbound service to the Terminal, however, was temporarily suspended due to the need to shut down power to allow Metro-North, Fire Department, and Con Edison staff to respond to the scene.

"Once the fire was extinguished, and the faulty Con Edison cable identified and shut down, we were able to restore power gradually to all the affected tracks. Regular train service resumed shortly before 8 PM."
Woonsocket54 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2012, 02:08 PM   #420
K_

Likes (Received): 243

Quote:
The single tracked parts of Port Washington branch really needs to be double tracked. one of the busiest LIRR routes...
Looking at the schedule I'd say no. You can easily run a half hourly service both ways on single track if your passing spots are in the right place.
K_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote