daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 9th, 2012, 07:43 PM   #581
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21251

What I found particularly troubling is that that rail ROW has not even lane marking to orient drivers about how far they should place their cars from the tracks. Dangerous.

FRA should ban these operations, requiring some 4ft fencing along the ROW at least.

Sponsored Links
Old November 10th, 2012, 12:02 AM   #582
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17044

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
What I found particularly troubling is that that rail ROW has not even lane marking to orient drivers about how far they should place their cars from the tracks. Dangerous.

FRA should ban these operations, requiring some 4ft fencing along the ROW at least.
While I agree the FRA or DOT should mandate markings , there are hundreds of these types of lines around North America and very few accidents , trains when operating through these areas use regular traffic rules , stopping at traffic lights , for crossing guards and at stop signs..... These routes are often through less populated areas or through Main street....locals are so used to the trains that accidents don't occur. Which I can't say for the gating crossings or protected areas , its the same with LRT....and streetcar people pay attention when theres a train running down the street then at a crossing.
Visit the New Jersey Section
Nexis está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2012, 02:04 AM   #583
thainoodles

Likes (Received): 6

A train running on the streets along with cars, never saw anything like that. Neat.

What seems a little unusual to me is the amount of pantographs, anybody knows why there are so many and why all of them are used at the same time? I'm asking because here in Poland most our EMU's have max four of them whereas usually two are used, like in the pic:

thainoodles no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2012, 11:07 AM   #584
XAN_

Likes (Received): 760

It's really depends on current in catenary and power of train. Lower current and higher power - more pantographs are needed.
For example classic soviet 8-car EMU ER2 that runs under 3 000 V DC usually use all 4 pantographs, while 8-car ER9 - the same design, but with electrics for 25 000 V AC usually use only 2 of 4.
And the USA trains tend to be ridiculously overweighted, so they need really a lot of power to keep moving, while the South Shore Line is only 1 500 V DC.
-H. Kürsch, 2002
XAN_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2012, 01:34 PM   #585
Sunfuns

Likes (Received): 361

[QUOTE=Cesar Vieira;97107817]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis View Post
South Shore line

image hosted on flickr

Green Signals by Trainham, on Flickr
Why are those trains so ugly? Looks more like a cattle train! In Europe at least windows are made as big as possible not the other way around...
Sunfuns no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2012, 04:26 PM   #586
G5man
High Speed Rail fan

Likes (Received): 37

[QUOTE=Sunfuns;97191258]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cesar Vieira View Post

Why are those trains so ugly? Looks more like a cattle train! In Europe at least windows are made as big as possible not the other way around...
FRA regulations that are focused more on the weight of the train for safety rather than energy management principles are why. Our FRA is more focused on crash worthiness rather than avoidance. I am surprised we have not decided to move over to avoidance. Especially with two heavy frieght derailments carrying dangerous cargo that required residents in nearby towns to evacuate, we are better off focusing on prevention.
G5man no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2012, 05:34 PM   #587
mgk920
Nonhyphenated-American

Likes (Received): 68

Speaking of the South Shore line, that is one of the very few of the 'interurban' electric street railroads that were built a century or so ago that still survives. The USA was once laced with these lines that went from town to town. At one time in the 1910s or early 1920s, it was very nearly possible to travel between NYC and several points deep in Wisconsin using only interurbans.

Here in NE Wisconsin, one could travel between Green Bay, Appleton, Oshkosh and Fond du Lac using interurbans until about 1926.

What happened to it all? Cars became practical for personal transportation and the interurbans and streetcars were looked down on as being 'old fashioned'.

Mike
mgk920 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2012, 07:50 PM   #588
XAN_

Likes (Received): 760

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgk920 View Post
Speaking of the South Shore line, that is one of the very few of the 'interurban' electric street railroads that were built a century or so ago that still survives. The USA was once laced with these lines that went from town to town. At one time in the 1910s or early 1920s, it was very nearly possible to travel between NYC and several points deep in Wisconsin using only interurbans.

Here in NE Wisconsin, one could travel between Green Bay, Appleton, Oshkosh and Fond du Lac using interurbans until about 1926.

What happened to it all? Cars became practical for personal transportation and the interurbans and streetcars were looked down on as being 'old fashioned'.

Mike
Yes, exponential growth of oil producing and amount of energy available to society resulted in a fact that society stopped being saving and became more consuming.
-H. Kürsch, 2002
XAN_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2012, 06:44 PM   #589
Cesar Vieira
East Side, St. Paul

Likes (Received): 823

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woonsocket54 View Post
Along 11th Street in Michigan City, Indiana, USA.
Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by G5man View Post
FRA regulations that are focused more on the weight of the train for safety rather than energy management principles are why. Our FRA is more focused on crash worthiness rather than avoidance. I am surprised we have not decided to move over to avoidance. Especially with two heavy frieght derailments carrying dangerous cargo that required residents in nearby towns to evacuate, we are better off focusing on prevention.
Hello, I think there was a mistake. you answered the question that was not me who did and yes another Forumer.
Old November 17th, 2012, 07:24 AM   #590
trainrover
:-x

Likes (Received): 738

Last edited by trainrover; November 17th, 2012 at 07:31 AM.
trainrover no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2012, 02:15 AM   #591
Fan Railer

Likes (Received): 568

Quote:
Originally Posted by thainoodles View Post
A train running on the streets along with cars, never saw anything like that. Neat.

What seems a little unusual to me is the amount of pantographs, anybody knows why there are so many and why all of them are used at the same time? I'm asking because here in Poland most our EMU's have max four of them whereas usually two are used, like in the pic:

Because those cars that you see in the picture are designed as single units, capable of operating on their own. that is the only reason each car has its own pantograph.
Fan Railer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2012, 02:18 AM   #592
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

Likes (Received): 5778

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cesar Vieira View Post

Why are those trains so ugly? Looks more like a cattle train!
Metra passenger car design was actually based on the cattle car, with a big door in the middle where all the cattle are prodded through.

Woonsocket54 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2012, 04:07 PM   #593
riles28
train

Likes (Received): 38

I like the amfleet coach and the NJT and MARC coaches because have a lots of purpose from commuter, excursion, express and even for high speed run specially on the northeast corridor and it could run from electrified line and non electrified line because it push and pull by a electric or diesel locomotive.
riles28 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2012, 04:10 PM   #594
riles28
train

Likes (Received): 38

I think the Nippon sharyo will introduce the first set of "k - star express" for MARC railway that could run from 120 miles per hour to 200, this train use a push pull type technology and the will call it a medium high speed train, they will also introduce this to amtrak to replace the existing amfleet that run for a decade.
riles28 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2012, 10:44 PM   #595
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Old November 22nd, 2012, 05:12 PM   #596
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Old November 22nd, 2012, 07:29 PM   #597
k.k.jetcar

Likes (Received): 452

Quote:
Originally Posted by riles28 View Post
I think the Nippon sharyo will introduce the first set of "k - star express" for MARC railway that could run from 120 miles per hour to 200, this train use a push pull type technology and the will call it a medium high speed train, they will also introduce this to amtrak to replace the existing amfleet that run for a decade.
Actually the K-star Express is a Kawasaki Rail product, though Nippon Sharyo has an artist's conception of a similar (unnamed) product in this brochure:
http://www.nipponsharyousa.com/highspeedrailcatalog.pdf

Anyway, would be nice if Nissha does get the amfleet replacement contract.
k.k.jetcar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2012, 07:35 PM   #598
k.k.jetcar

Likes (Received): 452

Quote:
In Europe at least windows are made as big as possible not the other way around...
Well, in the US, smaller windows make for a smaller target for the rock throwers.
k.k.jetcar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2012, 12:17 AM   #599
trainrover
:-x

Likes (Received): 738

Better off just making the things travel faster.
trainrover no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2012, 05:54 PM   #600
Nikonov_Ivan

Likes (Received): 704

Any plans about maglev( like in Shaghai or Japan) in the USA?
Nikonov_Ivan no está en línea   Reply With Quote