daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 15th, 2013, 05:45 AM   #641
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17044

Quote:
Expansion of passenger trains in Maine takes slow track

NORTH TO AUBURN AND MONTREAL?

Extending service in another direction -- from the Portland terminal near outer Congress Street to Lewiston-Auburn -- also can't go forward without the construction of the Y track in Portland and the sidings in Yarmouth, where the junctions to both lines to Lewiston-Auburn are located. The Portland terminal would also need to be expanded to allow more than one train to be in the station at a time.

Auburn has long been the next goal for the Downeaster, in part because the tracks have already been upgraded as far as Yarmouth, just 20 miles short of the proposed Auburn Intermodal Passenger Center, where shuttle buses to downtown Lewiston would depart. Another attraction is that it would get Amtrak that much closer to Montreal on the legendary Grand Trunk, the railway that made Portland into the winter port of Victorian-era Canada and helped introduce the Quebecois to the sands of Old Orchard Beach.
http://www.pressherald.com/news/expa...013-02-04.html
Visit the New Jersey Section

Last edited by Nexis; September 20th, 2015 at 06:36 AM.
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 15th, 2013, 05:46 AM   #642
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Quote:
Hearing set on East Side rail station

STAMFORD -- Corporations, developers in the South End, along with East Side businesses and residents, all want to clear hurdles and make a long-sought East Main Street train station a reality, said James Grunberger, chairman of the nonprofit East Side Partnership.
New commuters at NBC Sports at Chelsea Piers, as well as long-standing residents and business owners, want to access Metro-North Railroad's New Haven Line without going to Stamford's downtown station, he said.
"What we need is train relief in the city, and it is clear the main station is overwhelmed," Grunberger said. "We want a train station and not a bus station or depot."
Residents will get the chance next week to hear about possible options for the East Main Street rail station, expanded bus service, and other information from a study on improving transit links to the East Side.

Read more: http://www.stamfordadvocate.com/news...#ixzz2KseZe27G

Old February 15th, 2013, 05:46 AM   #643
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Quote:
Rail study committee envisions stations in Bristol, New Britain more

By DIANE CHURCH
STAFF WRITER
BRISTOL — One day local residents might be able to hop aboard a train at a local station that will take them to Waterbury or New Britain, where they could catch other trains to Hartford, Boston, New York City and beyond.

The Central Connecticut Rail Study Advisory Committee held a meeting Thursday to discuss its findings so far. The committee is funded by a $1 million grant that Gov. Dannel Malloy pledged to rail proponents when he committed state funds for CTfastrak, the busway linking New Britain and Hartford that is expected to ease rush-hour congestion on Interstate 84. The grant will be used for further studies and meetings until the end of 2014.
http://www.newbritainherald.com/arti...0266011392.txt

Old February 15th, 2013, 05:47 AM   #644
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Quote:
NJ Transit trains record best on-time performance in 2012

NEWARK — Thirty years and 96 percent.

On the 30th anniversary of the creation of NJ Transit rail operations, agency officials said its trains set a record last year of a 96.4 percent on-time performance, breaking the previous record of 96.2 percent set in 1995. Officials said this happened even though the agency is operating nearly 23 percent more trains than in 1995.

NJ Transit ran 210,122 trains in 2012, while in 1995 it operated 171,409 trains, said John Durso Jr., NJ Transit spokesman.
http://www.app.com/article/20130131/...me-performance

Last edited by Nexis; September 20th, 2015 at 06:35 AM.
Old February 15th, 2013, 05:48 AM   #645
Nexis
Dark Wolf

[HD] MNRR 6522: Stratford to New Haven on M2 8704

Old February 19th, 2013, 10:03 PM   #646
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Future East Side Access Station....

Old February 20th, 2013, 02:15 AM   #647
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

Likes (Received): 5764

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis View Post

The new West Haven station (scheduled to open 1 Jun 2013) can be seen 11:17-11:29.
Woonsocket54 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2013, 07:51 PM   #648
hammersklavier
Feral

Likes (Received): 423

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-NL View Post
So variable tension is the problem, not the voltage/frequency? What would the problem be with only changing to constant tension and leaving the voltage/frequency as is?

Increasing voltage would also require increased safety distances, that might not be available at for instance bridges and tunnels. That's one of the reasons Germany will stick to 15 kV 16,7 Hz and the Netherlands also will not switch to 25 kV anytime soon.
Right. Variable-tension catenary creates a speed limit (go faster and you break the wire), while the other elements of the electrical system have supplier issues. Is there anywhere else in the world that uses the old PRR system? And since the Northend Electrification--the section east of New Haven--is at 25kV 60Hz, the equipment to run it is already carried on-board.

Clearance concerns are also important, but should be secondary. I wouldn't be surprised, for example, if the network is converted into a two-phase system: 25kv 60Hz for free running, and something else (like the Hell Gate Line's 12kV 60Hz) for areas with clearance issues.
hammersklavier no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2013, 03:05 PM   #649
M-NL
Mixed-mode traveller

Likes (Received): 274

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammersklavier View Post
while the other elements of the electrical system have supplier issues. Is there anywhere else in the world that uses the old PRR system?

Clearance concerns are also important, but should be secondary. I wouldn't be surprised, for example, if the network is converted into a two-phase system: 25kv 60Hz for free running, and something else (like the Hell Gate Line's 12kV 60Hz) for areas with clearance issues.
As far as I know the only place 25 Hz-systems are still used is on former PRR lines.

Any system change is a nuisance. The last thing you want is a system change every so many miles. Given that you state that the current 25Hz feeding equipment also has issues, switching to 12 kV 60 Hz will solve the clearance problem (they do not change) and would be much cheaper then switching to 25 kV. In the end it all comes down to price versus performance.
M-NL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2013, 08:48 PM   #650
FM 2258

Likes (Received): 612

Quote:

Really cool video. Any idea how fast this train goes at top speed?

It's clear in this video that upgrading this line/right of way to handle 186 or 217 mph trains would be a very hard task...don't really want to use the word "impossible." I've never seen this perspective before so I used to think it was something that could be pushed forward hard if the government got their acts together and threw money at this line.

Another question, why do the power lines rise so high when crossing rivers, can be seen around :40 in the video.
FM 2258 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2013, 09:12 PM   #651
Sunfuns

Likes (Received): 361

Quote:
Originally Posted by FM 2258 View Post
It's clear in this video that upgrading this line/right of way to handle 186 or 217 mph trains would be a very hard task...don't really want to use the word "impossible." I've never seen this perspective before so I used to think it was something that could be pushed forward hard if the government got their acts together and threw money at this line.
Upgrading an old line to more than ca 125 mph (in some rare case 156 mph) is virtually impossible. I don't think it has ever been done anywhere. If you want that fast then a brand new line is needed.
Sunfuns no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2013, 09:25 PM   #652
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by FM 2258 View Post
Really cool video. Any idea how fast this train goes at top speed?

Another question, why do the power lines rise so high when crossing rivers, can be seen around :40 in the video.
That line won't be upgraded past 130mph hence why Amtrak is proposing building a new line inland and up to 220mph.... The line will have some of its curves straightened , a few bridges replaced and new High tension Catenary installed.....but nothing else. Once the Main line is done , there is a push to upgrade and expand the Branch lines....electrifying them aswell..... The Trains can hit up to 100mph on overhead or 3rd rail.

Last edited by Nexis; February 22nd, 2013 at 01:19 AM.
Old February 21st, 2013, 09:25 PM   #653
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woonsocket54 View Post
The new West Haven station (scheduled to open 1 Jun 2013) can be seen 11:17-11:29.
Where did you hear June 1?
Old February 21st, 2013, 09:32 PM   #654
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Quote:
Metro-North plans for Penn Station access

The plan, currently labeled West Side Access, would involve routings some Metro-North New Haven Line trains over Amtrak's Hell Gate Bridge and to Penn Station, on Manhattan's West Side. A second phase would allow Metro-North's Hudson Line to also access Penn Station, via crossing the Spuyten Duyvil Bridge and traversing Amtrak's right-of-way along Manhattan's West Side.

At present, Grand Central Terminal serves as the terminus for all Metro-North operations east of the Hudson River.

The plan would in some ways be counterbalance to MTA's current $8 billion East Side Access construction project, which will give Metro-North's sibling Long Island Rail Road direct access to Grand Central as well as Penn Station. Proponents of West Side Access, however, note the Metro-North plan, utilizing existing rights-of-way, would be far less expensive than East Side Access, in the "hundreds of millions of dollars," according to MTA spokesman Aaron Donovan, as opposed to billions.
http://www.railwayage.com/index.php/...t=Full+Article

Last edited by Nexis; September 20th, 2015 at 06:31 AM.
Old February 21st, 2013, 10:27 PM   #655
XAN_

Likes (Received): 760

Quote:
That line won't be upgraded past 130mph hence why Amtrak is proposing building a new line inland and up to 220mph.... The line will have some of its curves straightened , a few bridges replaced and new High tension Catenary installed.....but nothing else. Once the Main line is done , there is a push to upgrade and expand the Branch lines....electrifying them aswell.....
But isn't nearly all branches are owned by freight RRs?
-H. Kürsch, 2002
XAN_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2013, 11:25 PM   #656
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Closer look at the Hell Gate/New Haven/Shore line with my notes added on....

Shore Line
New York Penn Station
Sunnyside JCT
Astoria - *1
(Hell Gate Bridge) - *A
Hunts Point
Parkchester
Morris Park
Co-Op City
(Pelham Bay Bridge) - *B
City Island-Orchard Beach - *2
South Rochelle - *3

(Rochelle JCT) - B1
New Rochelle
Larchmont
Mamaroneck
Harrison
Rye
Port Chester
Greenwich
Cos-Cob
(Cos Cob Bridge) - *C
Riverside
Old Greenwich
Stamford
East Stamford - *4
(Glenbrook JCT) - *C1
Norton Heights
Darien
Rowayton
South Norwalk
(Norwalk JCT) - *C2
(Norwalk River Bridge) - *D
East Norwalk
Wesport
(Saugatuck River Bridge) - *E
Green Farms
Southport
Fairfield
Fairfield Metro Center
Bridgeport
East Bridgeport
Stratford
(Devon Bridge) - *F
(Devon JCT) - *F1
Devon JCT - *5
Milford
Orange
West Haven

New Haven Union Station
New Haven State street
Fair Haven - *6
East Haven - *6

Branford
Guilford
Madison
Clinton
Westbrook
Old Saybrook
(Connecticut River Bridge) - *G
Old Lyme - *7
Niantic - *7

New London

Notes ....

*1 - This station has been proposed by numerous community groups in Astoria , there are a few problems with the proposed station , one its 3 stories above the street which means it would require an expensive cost , two its cost vs usage might be lower then expected due to the nearby bus routes that duplicate the service

*2 - Orchard Beach-City Island Station would be a great boon to the area , with direct access to Pelham Bay Park , Orchard Beach , and City Island the station would allow for tourists to explore the hidden gems of NYC. The Bridge that crosses the tracks is wide enough for a bus bay , and taxi stand. The Station is closer to both Orchard Beach and City Island by a 5 minute ride or 15 min walk....and is right in the Heart of Pelham Bay Park as opposed to the Co-OP City station which is on the edge of the Park and is a mess to access unless you live in Co-Op City

*3 - South Rochelle is an Under invested Neighborhood of the City of New Rochelle once the Rochelle JCT is grade Separated there should be a study looking into the possibility of a Station.

*4 - East Stamford is nothing more then a boondoogle that will slow down the travel on the line , there are 2 nearby stations that are about a mile away , Glenbrook and Stamford Main. I understand this area is booming with growth but the canceled Stamford Streetcar Network would have been a better solution and not this band-aid which will also mess with New Canaan trains merging with the line.

*5 - This station should be looked into after the Devon Bridge Replaced to service the Western side of the town Milford and at as a Transfer station between the Waterbury Branch and Northern line which I will post later...

*6 - These 2 stations have been pushed by community groups and would be easy to construct and be a boon to an often neglected or rarely invested Fair Haven and East Haven.

*7 - These 2 stations just like the 2 above are being pushed by community activists and residents alike and would be a huge boon to the tourism industry of both towns. Both stations would likely be community stations with no or little parking....

Bridges

*A - The Hell Gate Bridge needs its tracks replaced along Catenary and a paint job , this is underway as we speak and should be completed by 2015

*B - The Pelham Bay Bridge will replaced later this decade with a high clearence bridge for the remaining boat traffic that uses the channel these days

*B1 - Long Term plans call for the Grade Seperation of Rochelle JCT to allow for faster Amtrak trains most of which bypass the New Rochelle Station and have to cross 4 tracks to make onto the Hell Gate line.

*C - The Cos Cob Bridge will be replaced , Not sure on the design yet...

*C1 - Glenbrook JCT , Upgrade to the switches and signals to allow for more New Canaan Branch trains without mucking up the New Haven line trains.

*C2 - Norwalk JCT will be upgraded to allow more Danbury trains without conflicting with the Main line , plans call for a 5th track to run from the Danbury Branch into the South Norwalk station and upgrades to the switches and signals.

*D - The Norwalk River Bridge will be Rehabilitated , its in great shape , just needs a tune up and repainting...

*E - Saugatuck River Bridge , will be Rehabilitation , similar to the Norwalk River Bridge

*F - The Devon Bridge will be replaced , not sure with what...could be an open bridge or fixed

*F1 - Switches at Devon JCT need to be replaced to reduce conflict between the Waterbury Branch and Main line

*G - The Connecticut River Bridge will be replaced , although the exact design is unknown...
Old February 21st, 2013, 11:27 PM   #657
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by XAN_ View Post
But isn't nearly all branches are owned by freight RRs?
Metro North owns all the branches and severely neglects them , however calls are getting stronger to upgrade both and Re-Electrify the Danbury Branch. Upgrading both lines would result in huge economic booms for the towns and cities with stations as developers are afraid to invest with the current service levels along both lines which is rush hr only. Combined I would say there's about 3 billion in investments for both lines , restorations of old factories into Mix use , New Dense developments in Danbury , Waterbury and Norwalk , infill in many of the smaller towns.... Theres an addition 3-6 proposed infill stations for both lines.
Old February 22nd, 2013, 04:46 AM   #658
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

Quote:
Where did you hear June 1?
http://www.mta.info/mta/news/hearings/
Old February 22nd, 2013, 04:53 AM   #659
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

Quote:

*3 - South Rochelle is an Under invested Neighborhood of the City of New Rochelle once the Rochelle JCT is grade Separated there should be a study looking into the possibility of a Station.
I've never heard of any neighborhood named South Rochelle. How is the grade separation an impediment?
Old February 22nd, 2013, 05:51 PM   #660
Nikonov_Ivan

Likes (Received): 704

Some more photos from the East Side Access:

Nikonov_Ivan está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote