daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 14th, 2015, 12:45 PM   #801
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17039

Quote:
New Canaan Branch gets new rail cars for peak commuter departures
By Aaron Marsh on January 13, 2015
The departures that will run the M-8 cars are the 7:32 and 7:58 a.m. trains leaving from New Canaan and the 5:13 and 5:29 p.m. trains leaving from Grand Central. The state Department of Transportation expects the new trains will boost ridership by 44% over the next 15 years, and Malloy said it’s one step in making Metro-North reliable and able the meet regional demands.

“Currently, we’re running about 2,500 people Monday-Friday,” Malloy said of the New Canaan Branch. “We see that growing.” The areas around the branch’s stations such as Glenbrook and Springdale also are growing, he noted, and the governor said juicing up the entire rail system and the neighborhoods it reaches is “all part of the effort to unwind the damage that’s been done by two generations of underinvestment in transportation.”
http://www.ncadvertiser.com/43006/ne...er-departures/
Visit the New Jersey Section
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 14th, 2015, 12:57 PM   #802
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Stamford - Metro North

Quote:
East Side rail proponents find transit study results lacking

Martin B. Cassidy
Published 2:34 pm, Monday, July 15, 2013
Craig Lader, a senior planner at SRPA, said the agency understood East Side residents and business owners want a train station as soon as possible, but since this will take years, an interim plan makes sense.

"There are many reasons why a train station is not going to happen for a decade at best," Lader said.

"The community has made it clear they want something to take place as soon as possible, and we thought the bus would be the best way to introduce something on a near-term basis with all the political support that is needed."
http://www.stamfordadvocate.com/loca...dy-4666357.php

Quote:
East Main Street Transit Oriented Development

Building Facts:
- Potential for 15 Building Structures
- Residential w/ possible retail
- Developer: Parsons Brinckerhoff
- Planner: South Western Regional Planning Agency, NY-CT Sustainable Communities
image hosted on flickr

http://www.sustainablenyct.org/docs/...6.26.13_cl.pdf
Quote:
Station Place Redevelopment (Manhattan Street, Station Place, Atlantic Street, Henry Street)

Building Facts:
- Proposed
- Mix of Office, Commercial, Residential, Parking (Garage) space
- Combined Total of +1,000,000 sq ft of development
- Office/Hotel Complex: +600,000 sq ft,
- Metro Tower: 17 story office building
- Manhattan St Tower
- 150 room hotel, 150 residential units
- 11.5 story residential building (131 Units)
- 2.5 story residential building (24 Units)
- 60,000 sq ft street-level retail
- Total of 2,300 spaces between parking garages
- Developer: JHM Group of Companies, Malkin Properties, and Jonathan Rose Companies LLC
- $500M development
- Expected Groundbreaking: Mid 2014
http://www.stamfordadvocate.com/news...t-4659762.php#

Last edited by Nexis; March 25th, 2015 at 07:52 PM.
Old January 14th, 2015, 01:05 PM   #803
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Quote:
Wesmont Train Station breaks ground in Wood-Ridge

March 12, 2014, 11:12 AM Last updated: Wednesday, March 12, 2014, 11:12 AM
By Susan JOy Clark
Officials broke ground March 11 on the new Wesmont Train Station, a state-of-the-art commuter rail station at the 70-acre mixed-use, transit-oriented redevelopment.

The new train station, located on the former site of the Curtiss-Wright aircraft facility, will connect with the Bergen County Line and is expected to generate approximately 800 daily trips. All of the buildings at the development will be within walking distance of the station, and will provide riders with a 25-minute commute into Manhattan.

The new station is a partnership of Somerset Development, the developer of property, and NJ Transit and is the first in New Jersey to break ground through a public-private partnership. Fall 2015 is the expected completion date of the station.
http://www.northjersey.com/news/wesm...37031?page=all

Old January 14th, 2015, 01:13 PM   #804
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Quote:
Elmhurst LIRR stop not a slam dunk

Photo By Christopher Barca

Passenger trains serving Elmhurst stopped along the tracks over Broadway until 1985, when the LIRR station there was razed. However, the MTA has proposed building a new, $40 million station in the bustling neighborhood by the end of the decade.

by Christopher Barca, Reporter

Nearly 30 years after Long Island Rail Road passenger trains last stopped in Elmhurst, the MTA has laid out plans to construct a new stop in the bustling northwest Queens neighborhood.

However, area elected officials and civic associations who have pressed for a station for years shouldn’t consider the $40 million plan as set in stone just yet.
http://www.qchron.com/editions/centr...c5b607b87.html

Old January 14th, 2015, 01:19 PM   #805
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Quote:
State approves bond funds for work on new CT rail stations

By Shelton Herald on January 13, 2015
On the New Haven Line, new stations will be added in Bridgeport (to be called the Barnum Station, a second station in the Park City) and Orange, plus enhancements to the existing Merritt Seven Station on the Danbury Branch of the New Haven Line.

Barnum Station will be on the East Side of Bridgeport, between Bridgeport Hospital and East Main Street. The city’s existing train station is in downtown Bridgeport, and will remain operational as well.
http://sheltonherald.com/57428/state...in-bridgeport/
Old January 14th, 2015, 01:25 PM   #806
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Quote:
State Can Build On Shore Line East Success

The new Shore Line East station at Westbrook opened for service in March, one of several recent upgrades along the line. (Fred Guenther / UGC)

Though much attention has been aimed at Connecticut's transportation deficiencies in the last couple of years, there are a few good stories. One is Shore Line East, the commuter rail service that runs between New Haven and New London.

As The Courant's Don Stacom recently reported, ridership on the line has been increasing steadily since 2010, from 585,218 riders that year to 657,832 in 2013. In the first three quarters of 2014, the numbers are up 1 percent over the same period in 2013.

A key step in expanding ridership was expanding service. Shore Line East, which began in 1990, used to focus on the New Haven to Old Saybrook section. But in 2013, the state significantly added service to New London, on weekdays and weekends. Passengers going to or from The Whaling City now account for 20 to 25 percent of overall weekend Shore Line East ridership. Three points:
http://www.courant.com/opinion/edito...120-story.html
Old January 14th, 2015, 01:37 PM   #807
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Quote:
Shore Line East Trains Are Attracting More Riders

Commuters disembark at the Old Saybrook train station from the Shore Line East express train from Stamford in 2001. (BOB MACDONNELL / Hartford Courant)

NEW HAVEN — Ridership this year on Shore Line East appears on course to meet or exceed 2013's levels, and the state intends to continue recent service expansions through 2015.

With extra trains for the midsummer Sailfest in New London, Shore Line East posted a record-breaking July ridership of nearly 64,000 people, according to the state transportation department.
Overall, the service drew 499,249 passengers in the first nine months of the year — up about 1 percent from the same period in 2013. Much of the new business was travel to or from New London, where ridership in the winter and early spring was about double the 2013 levels.

http://www.courant.com/news/connecti...117-story.html

Last edited by Nexis; March 29th, 2015 at 10:35 AM.
Old January 14th, 2015, 09:10 PM   #808
Tower Dude

Likes (Received): 593

So anyone have any news or information on everyone's favorite project, The Gateway Project?

"Make no small plans they lack the magic to stir men's blood!" - Daniel Burnham

"The scale is Roman and will have to be sustained."
- Charles Follen McKim (In a letter to a friend concerning the design of Penn Station)
Tower Dude no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2015, 03:08 PM   #809
Nexis
Dark Wolf

It wouldn't surprise me if this project gets funding later this year either partially or fully...
Old January 17th, 2015, 11:55 PM   #810
Nexis
Dark Wolf

phoenixboi08, ryaboisse liked this post
Old January 19th, 2015, 03:01 PM   #811
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Quote:
Lansdale council approves plans for new Ninth Street SEPTA station

By Dan Sokil
[email protected]
@dansokil on Twitter

An architectural rendering of the proposed Ninth Street SEPTA train station looking south toward the Lansdale station.

LANSDALE >> A new SEPTA rail station in Lansdale is one big step closer to becoming a reality.

Borough council granted final approval Dec. 17 to plans for a new platform station at Ninth Street near Shaw Avenue, which Borough Manager Timi Kirchner said has been on the town’s to-do list for years.

“SEPTA is building another station along the line, which is their most successful line, and continuing to grow. It’s a platform station, which makes the line go that much faster through [the new station], and is much more accessible,” said Kirchner.

SEPTA and borough officials have discussed the new station as a concept since roughly 2007 when a land development agreement for the adjacent industrial property set aside space for the station, and formal plans have been vetted for several months by Lansdale staff and its planning commission as the transit agency moves ahead with plans to build a parking garage behind the Lansdale train station.
http://www.montgomerynews.com/articl...3783647046.txt
Old January 19th, 2015, 03:01 PM   #812
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Quote:
Providence-Worcester commuter rail gathers momentum

By Aaron Nicodemus TELEGRAM & GAZETTE STAFF
[email protected]

WORCESTER — A proposal to build a private passenger rail service from Worcester to Providence bucks more than 100 years of history.

At the moment, private commuter rail in the United States is extinct. The last one to run with any regularity — the Rio Grande Zephyr, which shuttled through the Rockies between Denver and Ogden, Utah — ceased operating as a private enterprise 31 years ago, when the route was folded into Amtrak's California Zephyr line.

A short-lived private venture called the Florida Fun Train operated between Fort Lauderdale and Tampa in the late 1990s, but it folded in less than a year, according to a recent story on private commuter rail in The Atlantic magazine.

And that's it.

Amtrak now runs most passenger rail service in the United States. While the Northeast Corridor between Boston and Washington, D.C. is profitable, Amtrak is supported by nearly $1 billion a year in public subsidies. Most major cities have their own public commuter rail, subway and bus services.

But Vincent Bono, general manager and largest shareholder of the Boston Surface Railroad Co., based in Arlington, Mass., is convinced there is enough demand to bring private commuter service to large cities in the Northeast. He said the Worcester-to-Providence connection is the most feasible of several city pairings that he has studied.

http://www.telegram.com/article/2014...312079972/1237

dimlys1994, alcatmanbg liked this post

Last edited by Nexis; March 25th, 2015 at 07:49 PM.
Old January 21st, 2015, 11:20 PM   #813
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Quote:
Despite problems, Metro-North ridership rises

Theresa Juva-Brown, [email protected] 9:09 a.m. EST January 21, 2015

Despite chronic problems with overcrowded cars, delayed trains and slow commutes in 2014, Metro-North Railroad is expected to set a new ridership record.

Leaders estimate the railroad provided 84.7 million trips last year — the highest number in its 31-year history. Metro-North's previous record was in 2008, when it posted 83.6 million rides.

But as the railroad becomes busier than ever, officials continue to struggle to make much-needed track repairs and deliver reliable service each day, Metro-North President Joseph Giulietti acknowledged Tuesday.

Metro-North has come under heavy fire since a series of disasters on its tracks in 2013, including a derailment in Connecticut and a December crash in the Bronx that killed four passengers and injured dozens. Investigators later determined the engineer in that case was speeding and dozed at the controls before the train flew off the track. Since then, leaders have been overhauling the railroad's programs and practices with a special focus on safety.
http://www.lohud.com/story/news/tran...rise/22068359/

Last edited by Nexis; March 25th, 2015 at 07:48 PM.
Old January 25th, 2015, 11:38 AM   #814
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Quote:
Construction underway on commuter rail line to Sussex County

By Larry Higgs | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com
Email the author
on January 14, 2015 at 8:19 AM, updated January 14, 2015 at 8:23 AM

Construction has begun on the first commuter train line to Sussex County in decades as rails are being installed that will extend service to Andover.

The first 4.25 miles of track have been installed on the former Lackawanna Cutoff, as part of the first phase of the project to restore 7.3 miles of track between the Port Morris rail yards and Andover Township, said William Smith, NJ Transit spokesman.

The cutoff would connect to NJ Transit's existing Morris & Essex lines at Port Morris Junction in Roxbury, and to Mid-Town Direct service to New York in Dover.

The Sierra Club's state chapter opposes the project because it will open up environmentally sensitive areas in the Highlands region to sprawling development, said Jeff Tittel, chairman. The project received federal environmental approvals in 2008.
http://www.nj.com/traffic/index.ssf/...l#incart_river

Last edited by Nexis; March 25th, 2015 at 07:49 PM.
Old January 25th, 2015, 12:20 PM   #815
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Sun Rail Lynx Central

from ExactoCreation

Sunrail Platform and ticket machines
by ExactoCreation, on Flickr

Amtrak &amp; Sunrail

sunraildeparts

Lynx Buses

Florida Lynx Nova LFSA

Lynx Gillig advantage BRT

Lynx Gillig BRT
Old January 27th, 2015, 10:59 PM   #816
Nexis
Dark Wolf

All Aboard Florida's Miami Terminal

grant1simons2, ryaboisse liked this post
Old January 30th, 2015, 10:04 PM   #817
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Quote:
Waterbury line upgrades a priority, commissioner says

By Paul Hughes

HARTFORD -- The state Department of Transportation is doing its best to accelerate the design and installation of a signalization system for the Waterbury rail line, DOT Commissioner James P. Redeker told state lawmakers today.

Sen. Robert Kane, R-Watertown, questioned Redeker about the status of planned upgrades to the Metro-North branch line running between Bridgeport and Waterbury during Redeker's confirmation hearing.

Redeker said it is “insane” that trains currently can only run in one direction at a time.

“So, we have to fix it. We're committed to it, and it is the first time we made that commitment,” he told members of the Executive and Legislative Nominations Committee.

The signalized line would allow north- and southbound trains to safely pass each other, and it would permit DOT to add rush hour and off-peak trains to a line that has been long neglected.

The DOT is adding pull outs to permit train traffic to flow in both directions.
http://www.rep-am.com/articles/2015/...9487310863.txt
Old January 30th, 2015, 10:14 PM   #818
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Quote:
Branch lines may benefit from Malloy’s transportation plan

By by Jeannette Ross on January 25, 2015
“Each of the branch lines has been through extensive studies,” Mr. Redeker said. They include Danbury, New Canaan and Waterbury.

The emphasis will be on expanded service and improved service. Although they are secondary to the main passenger line, he said the branch lines offer “extraordinary opportunities” for development and will be a “major focus” of the plan.

Budgeting will have to begin almost immediately to “build the capacity within the Department of Transportation to do the things we have to do,” Mr. Malloy said.

As for where the money will come from, he was not specific. “We are not focused on funding now,” but did indicate there may be public partnerships and design-build opportunities. To a question about paying for the plan with tolls, he said, “There are many ways to pay for transportation improvements,” adding a toll is essentially a tax on motorists.
http://www.thereddingpilot.com/21146...ortation-plan/

Last edited by Nexis; September 20th, 2015 at 06:27 AM.
Old February 1st, 2015, 07:29 AM   #819
goldbough

Likes (Received): 3366

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis View Post
Boston Surface Railroad employees would act as ushers, as well as serve food and drinks. The proposal calls for alcoholic drinks to be sold on the train.

In a recent test run, the trip between Worcester and Providence along the P&W line took an hour and 42 minutes. Driving distance between the two cities along Route 146 is approximately 45 minutes to an hour, depending on traffic. Mr. Bono said the goal is to get the train trip reduced to about 70 minutes when the service is launched.

"It's got to be competitive with a typical commuter's drive time," he said.

http://www.telegram.com/article/2014...312079972/1237
Is it really a good idea to serve alcohol when those people will most likely get in their cars at the station and drive home?

The guy trying to get this train service started said Worcester-Providence are the most viable cities. Are there a lot of people who live in Worcester and work in Providence? I would have thought people in Worcester would mostly go to Boston.

He's right when he says the commute time needs to be competitive with driving time. Right now, this train would be a step down for most people.
Old February 1st, 2015, 07:49 AM   #820
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldbough View Post
Is it really a good idea to serve alcohol when those people will most likely get in their cars at the station and drive home?

The guy trying to get this train service started said Worcester-Providence are the most viable cities. Are there a lot of people who live in Worcester and work in Providence? I would have thought people in Worcester would mostly go to Boston.

He's right when he says the commute time needs to be competitive with driving time. Right now, this train would be a step down for most people.
They had a bar car on the Metro North New Haven for over 40 years without any major problems. The Long Island Railroad has bar carts on the platforms during rush hr. These carts are not allowed during certain events and during the Holidays. There is a bus service that runs between the cities that ive heard does very well. Woonsocket to Providence would do very well...

jonasry liked this post