daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 31st, 2015, 06:11 AM   #941
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17044

I heard that Everett station has some crime problems?
Visit the New Jersey Section
Nexis está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 31st, 2015, 06:18 AM   #942
SounderBruce
Transit Photographer

Likes (Received): 3630

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis View Post
I heard that Everett station has some crime problems?
It's kind of over-exaggerated by the media here. It's in the middle of a warehouse district without any amenities around it, so the atmosphere is already kind of sketchy. Lots of smokers ignoring the near-hourly announcements from the intercom to stop smoking and the transit police can't really do much. Some homeless sleeping in the shaded/covered areas, but they generally don't bother you.

Overall, it's a fairly safe place from my perspective, but I'm not sure if other people get harassed more.
SounderBruce no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2015, 02:40 PM   #943
Robi_damian

Likes (Received): 9996

Beautiful infrastructure, but at 4 round trips that is not regional/commuter rail. No wonder low ridership is an issue. The FRA needs to get its act together and allow more fuel-efficient trains such as

2 tph during rush hour and possibly one every hour outside that timeframe are probably the necessary to get the system to a minimally acceptable level of service. Also, stations need to be connected. Unless these measures are taken, I am afraid there is a risk of a backlash against spending on commuter lines due to poor ridership figures...

dimlys1994, elab liked this post
Robi_damian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2015, 07:58 PM   #944
phoenixboi08

Likes (Received): 798

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robi_damian View Post
Beautiful infrastructure, but at 4 round trips that is not regional/commuter rail. No wonder low ridership is an issue. The FRA needs to get its act together and allow more fuel-efficient trains such as

2 tph during rush hour and possibly one every hour outside that timeframe are probably the necessary to get the system to a minimally acceptable level of service. Also, stations need to be connected. Unless these measures are taken, I am afraid there is a risk of a backlash against spending on commuter lines due to poor ridership figures...
I thought those FRA stipulations only matter for passenger lines that share tracks with freight trains (or, likely, cross state lines)...? I've never truly figured out when it's at play.
Old May 31st, 2015, 09:08 PM   #945
M-NL
Mixed-mode traveller

Likes (Received): 274

Quote:
Originally Posted by SounderBruce View Post
Everett

Opened: February 2002
Other Trains: Amtrak Cascades, Amtrak Empire Builder
Other Services: Swift bus rapid transit, Community Transit, Everett Transit, Sound Transit Express, Skagit Transit, Greyhound, Northwest Trailways
Why the huge station building for just 3 tracks, 2 platforms and just a handful of trains a day? The maintenance of the building alone, no wonder trains operate at a loss.
Old May 31st, 2015, 09:58 PM   #946
SounderBruce
Transit Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robi_damian View Post
Beautiful infrastructure, but at 4 round trips that is not regional/commuter rail. No wonder low ridership is an issue. The FRA needs to get its act together and allow more fuel-efficient trains such as.

It's still commuter rail, since it carries rush hour traffic into the city center. It is by no means regional rail (which is commonly defined as all-day bi-directional service). Note that Seattle has almost no experience with running rail transit, since we've relied almost entirely on our very strong bus system since the 1940s, and that the rail system as a whole only began in 2000.

The corridor itself is highly congested, with only a single track bounded to the west by open water and to the east by high (and mudslide-prone) cliffs that have very wealthy residents living on top of them. BNSF gives preference to their freight trains, more often than not carrying crude oil from North Dakota or refined oil from Anacortes, WA to the ports of Seattle and Tacoma. In addition, the train only has one stop in Seattle, so most office workers opt for a bus that gets them closer to their workplace and avoids backtracking through downtown.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-NL View Post
Why the huge station building for just 3 tracks, 2 platforms and just a handful of trains a day? The maintenance of the building alone, no wonder trains operate at a loss.
The building is also the regional bus station (which gets quite a bit more use) for local and intercity express buses. It also houses some social programs (unemployment services and classrooms) as well as a public meeting space on its top floor.
Old May 31st, 2015, 10:14 PM   #947
00Zy99

Likes (Received): 1507

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixboi08 View Post
I thought those FRA stipulations only matter for passenger lines that share tracks with freight trains (or, likely, cross state lines)...? I've never truly figured out when it's at play.
FRA regulations apply to all systems where trains run on tracks shared by freight trains or that connect to the national rail network. The only exception if there is a VERY strict time separation (with derails and the like installed) between the non-standard stock and everything else.

There was a time-separation code for the Newark Subway (light rail) for a few years until freight service on the line ended. There is currently a time-separation in place for the Camden-Trenton River Line.

Caltrain is applying for a waiver for their new EMU stock to operate alongside some diesel equipment with PTC installed, and looks likely to get it. Freight would be restricted to the very late night.

Interestingly, the PATH service between North Jersey and Manhattan also is subject to FRA rules despite not actually being connected to the network. This is a legacy of the fact that it used to share trackage with the PRR until about 1967 and that it continues to run alongside the NEC for some distance with virtually no separation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-NL View Post
It is a major bus hub, as can be seen.

Also, it houses a cafe on the first floor (iirc), and offices for either the transit authority or the city on the upper floors.

phoenixboi08 liked this post
00Zy99 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2015, 10:49 PM   #948
SounderBruce
Transit Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00Zy99 View Post
Also, it houses a cafe on the first floor (iirc), and offices for either the transit authority or the city on the upper floors.
The station does not have offices for the city or transit authority. The city is based in downtown within the county government campus, while the transit authorities have their offices next to their bus garages (Everett Transit is a few blocks east, Community Transit is close to the Boeing plant).
Old June 1st, 2015, 01:31 AM   #949
00Zy99

Likes (Received): 1507

I stand corrected.

In fact, I sit corrected.

I sit corrected preemptively by the post before mine.
00Zy99 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2015, 03:03 AM   #950
Infospona

Likes (Received): 2

All photo on this page is fantastic :-)
Infospona no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2015, 06:36 PM   #951
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Seeing an old Syracuse rail service in a new way: Is there renewed hope for the Ontrack corridor?

http://www.syracuse.com/kirst/index....nger_rail.html

dimlys1994 liked this post
Old June 4th, 2015, 04:36 PM   #952
Nexis
Dark Wolf

North Jersey Coast Line at South Amboy

Quote:
Number of Tracks : 2
Electrification : 12 kV 25 Hz AC
Type : At Grade
Daily Usage : 1,050 Passengers
Opened : 1938
Rebuilt : 2005 - 2010 (2 Phases)
Service Type : Every 30 Minutes

North Jersey Coast Line at South Amboy Station
by Corey Best, on Flickr

by Corey Best, on Flickr

by Corey Best, on Flickr

by Corey Best, on Flickr

by Corey Best, on Flickr

by Corey Best, on Flickr

by Corey Best, on Flickr

by Corey Best, on Flickr

by Corey Best, on Flickr

by Corey Best, on Flickr

by Corey Best, on Flickr

by Corey Best, on Flickr

by Corey Best, on Flickr

by Corey Best, on Flickr

North Jersey Coast Line in South Amboy,NJ
by Corey Best, on Flickr

North Jersey Coast Line in South Amboy,NJ
by Corey Best, on Flickr

Old June 5th, 2015, 04:04 AM   #953
Fan Railer

Likes (Received): 568

Fan Railer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2015, 10:14 AM   #954
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Long Island Railroad - Belmont Park Upgrade

Refurbished Belmont Park Station
by Metropolitan Transportation Authority of the State of New York, on Flickr

Old June 9th, 2015, 09:36 PM   #955
Fan Railer

Likes (Received): 568

A little bit of fruit from my NEC Arrow III trip yesterday evening:
Fan Railer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2015, 04:24 AM   #956
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Planned SEPTA Regional Rail Station upgrades over the next 5 yrs

9th Street / New Station
Quote:
( Lansdale/Doylestown Line ) Work includes construction of a new ADA Accessible Regional Rail Station with high level platforms, passenger shelters, bicycle amenities, and parking lot.

- Number of Tracks : 1

- Budget: $3.8M

- Design Complete

- Construction Start: Spring 2015

- Construction Complete: Fall 2015
Ardmore Station
Quote:
(Thorndale Line) SEPTA is proposing several improvements to Ardmore Station, including a new station building, high level platforms, modifications to the existing pedestrian tunnel, new canopies and passenger shelters, and site and circulation improvements.

- Number of Tracks : 4

- Budget: $29.9M

- Design Ongoing

- Construction Start: Spring 2016

- Construction Complete: Fall 2019
Secane Station
Quote:
(Media/Elwyn Regional Rail Line)

Work includes a complete renewal of station facilities including a new station building with canopy, new high level platforms, pedestrian tunnel and significant parking facility expansion. Project also includes ADA enhancements.

- Number of Tracks : 2

- Budget: $21.3 M

- Design Ongoing

- Construction Start: Summer 2015

- Construction Complete: Spring 2017
Levittown
Quote:
(Trenton Regional Rail Line)

Work includes station improvements construction of high level platforms, elevators, pedestrian overpass, improved inter-modal service connections and parking expansion. Project also includes ADA enhancements.

Number of Tracks : 4

- Budget: $35.5 M

- Design Complete

- Construction Complete: Spring 2018

East Falls Station
Quote:
(Manayunk/Norristown Regional Rail Line)

Work includes modernization of station facilities and ADA accessibility improvements. Project also includes ADA enhancements.

- Budget: $19.5 M

- Design Start: Winter 2017

- Construction Start: Winter 2019

- Construction Complete: Winter 2021

Exton Station and Inter-Modal Improvements
Quote:
(Paoli/Thorndale Regional Rail Line)

SEPTA and Amtrak are partnering to implement overall station improvements to Exton Station. The project improvements will include the construction of high-level boarding platforms, ramps and stairs, a new station building, new canopies, and open air shelters. Upon completion of the improvements, Exton Station will be fully upgraded and ADA complaint. The new high-level platforms will also allow for more efficient operations.

- Number of Tracks : 3

- Budget: $23.4 M

- Design Complete

- Construction Complete: Spring 2017

Conshohocken Station
Quote:
(Manayunk/Norristown Regional Rail Line)

Work includes accessibility improvements. Project Budget $15M. Project also includes ADA enhancements.

- Budget: $15.0 M

- Design Start: Winter 2017

- Construction Start: Winter 2019
Yardley Station
Quote:
(West Trenton Line)

Work includes a complete renewal of station facilities including high level boarding platform, ADA compliant ramp and stairs, two open air shelters and a complete signage, site accessory and lighting upgrade.

- Number of Tracks : 3

- Budget: $5.5M

- Design: Complete

- Construction Start: Summer 2016

- Construction Complete: Fall 2017

- Construction Complete: Fall 2020
Source : http://septa.org/rebuilding/station/overview.html

dimlys1994, phoenixboi08 liked this post
Old June 14th, 2015, 05:48 AM   #957
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Catenary Replacements

Media/Elwyn Regional Rail Line Catenary Replacement

Quote:
Work includes replacing 17 miles of 80+ year old overhead catenary wire. Also includes construction of new catenary support poles.
  • Budget: $10.7 M

• Design Complete

• Construction Start: Spring 2014

• Construction Complete: Winter 2017

30th St. West Catenary Replacement

Quote:
This project will replace and modernize the SEPTA overhead contact (catenary) system from 30th Street Station westbound to K and Zoo interlockings, an area that includes SEPTA's Powelton Yard. The work being performed also includes repairs to aging catenary support structures, foundations, retaining walls, tunnels, and site drainage.
  • Budget: $77.0 M
  • Design Start: Winter 2015
  • Construction Start: Winter 2018
  • Construction Complete: Fall 2020
Source : http://septa.org/rebuilding/power-in.../overview.html
Old June 14th, 2015, 06:03 AM   #958
Nexis
Dark Wolf

SEPTA Bridge replacements / Overhauls

Media/Elwyn Regional Rail Line Crum Creek Viaduct (M.P 11.87)

Quote:
Work will replace this 925-foot-long, 100-foot-high bridge, which was originally constructed in 1895 and repaired in 1983.
  • Budget: $89.9M
  • Design Complete
  • Construction Start: Winter 2015
  • Construction Complete: Summer 2017
Construction Update: The contractor continues to construct the access road and stream crossings for the project.

Media/Elwyn Regional Rail Line Bridge Repairs

Quote:
Work will replace the timbers, complete superstructure and substructure steel repairs and reinforcement, and painting for the Cobbs Creek, Darby Creek, and Ridley Creek Viaducts. Work will be progressed in 2 phases. Phase 1 construction at Cobbs Creek and Darby Creek Viaducts included the replacement of existing timber ties, trackwork, and walkways with new materials and new safety railings. The top flange of the steel girders were also repaired and painted during the tie replacement process.

Phase 2 construction will include the same work as in Phase 1, for the Ridley Creek Viaduct, as well as structural repairs, painting, retaining walls, embankment stabilization and stream scour protection for all three Viaducts.
  • Budget: $35 M
  • Design Complete
  • Construction Start, Phase 2: Summer 2015
  • Construction Complete: Fall 2016
Construction Update: The construction contact has been awarded. Notice to proceed was issued on May 7, 2015.

Chestnut Hill West Regional Rail Line Bridge Repair

Quote:
Work will rehabilitate Bridge 0.35, constructed in 1916, spanning over the four track Main Line.
  • Budget: $10.3 M
  • Design Complete
  • Construction Start: Winter 2015
  • Construction Complete: Winter 2016

Construction Update: The contractor has begun demolishing concrete on the underside of the bridge. This will allow the contractor to repair the deteriorating gusset plates.

Regional Rail Stone Arch Bridge Rehabilitation Program
Quote:
Package No. 1: Bridge restoration and repair work will continue through the fall. The contractor is active at Bridge 16.88 (Norristown Transportation Center) on the Manayunk/Norristown Line and Bridge 13.10 (North Hills) on the Lansdale/Doylestown Line. The contractor recently mobilized to Bridge 22.93 (North Wales Station), also on the Lansdale/Doylestown Line. Work includes the stabilization, repair, and rebuilding of existing stone masonry.

Package No. 2: Bridge restoration and repair work will continue through the fall. The contractor is active at Bridge 12.38 (Rydal Station) and 20.21 (Trevose Station) on the West Trenton Line. The contractor is preparing to mobilize to Bridge 12.12 (Wallingford Station) on the Media/Elwyn Line. Work includes the stabilization, repair, and rebuilding of existing stone masonry and installation of steel arch liners.

Package No. 3: Bridge restoration and repair work will continue through the fall. The contractor is active at Bridge 9.41 (Ivy Ridge Station) and 9.93 (Miquon Station) on the Manayunk/Norristown Line. The contractor is preparing to mobilize to Bridge 4.61 (Allegheny Station) on the Manayunk/Norristown Line later this summer. Work includes the stabilization, repair, and rebuilding of existing stone masonry and installation of steel arch liners.
  • Budget: $8.3 M
  • Design Complete
  • Construction Start: Fall 2014
  • Construction Complete: Winter 2016

Construction Update: Work continues on bridges on the Manayunk/Norristown, Lansdale/Doylestown and West Trenton Lines. The Contractors have been active repairing brick and stone masonry and clearing debris from the waterway. Moving forward, the work shall include further masonry restoration and the installation of steel arch liners to reinforce the existing stone arches.
Source : http://septa.org/rebuilding/bridge-rehab/overview.html
Old June 14th, 2015, 06:24 AM   #959
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Substation Program | Regional Rail & Transit

The Substation Program will replace the major power components of the Regional Rail and Transit Traction Power Substations such as transformers, transformer breakers, trolley breakers, feeder switches, substation switchgears and protective relaying. The Regional Rail program work will focus on many substations originally built 80+ years ago. These projects will take place over the first 5 years of the Rebuilding for the Future Program, with budgets ranging from $3.4-50 million.

Lenni Substation (Media/Elwyn Regional Rail Line)

Quote:
Work includes new transformers, transformer breakers, trolley breakers, feeder switches, substation switchgear and protective relaying. This project will replace the major power components of the substation originally built in the 1920's.
  • Budget: $9.1 M
  • Design in Progress
  • Physical Construction Start: Winter 2015
  • Construction Complete: Summer 2016

Woodbourne Substation (West Trenton Line)

Quote:
This substation facility does not presently exist and will be a completely new design that will be located in/near the existing Woodbourne passenger station.
  • Budget: $27.5 M
  • Design Start: Winter/Spring 2017
  • Construction Start: Spring/Summer 2019

Morton Substation (Media/Elwyn Regional Rail Line)

Quote:
Work includes new transformers, transformer breakers, trolley breakers, trolley and feeder switches, substation switchgear and protective relaying. This project will replace the major power components of the substation originally built in the 1920's.
  • Budget: $9 M
  • Design in Progress
  • Physical construction start Fall 2015

Jenkintown Substation (Main Regional Rail Line)
Quote:
Work includes construction of a new Traction Power Substation with new transformers, indoor switchgear, state-of-the-art industry standard safety, protective relaying, and communications systems. In addition to the substation work, a new road will be constructed for improved access to the site.
  • Budget: $34 M
  • Design: Complete
  • Construction Start: Summer 2014

Current Update: Utilities, including PECO and stormwater lines, are being relocated. Site clearing is complete.

Ambler Substation (Lansdale/Doylestown Regional Rail Line)

Quote:
Work includes new transformers, trolley breakers, feeder breakers, substation switchgear and protective relaying. This project will replace the major power components of an 80+ year old substation.
  • Budget: $10.87 M
  • Design Complete
  • Phsyical construction start Fall 2015

Lansdale Substation (Lansdale/Doylestown Regional Rail Line)

Quote:
Work includes new transformers, trolley breakers, feeder breakers, substation switchgear and protective relaying. This project will replace the major power components of an 80+ year old substation.
  • Budget: $10.1 M
  • Construction Start: Winter 2016
  • Construction Complete: Summer 2017

Wayne Junction Static Frequency Converters (Main Regional Rail Line)
Quote:
This project is rehabilitating the existing three cycloconverter type static frequency converters that are located in a facility adjacent to SEPTA's Wayne Junction Substation. It is also adding a fourth frequency converter to the facility. The frequency converters change the 60 Hz power provided by PECO to the 25 Hz power used by the Regional Rail lines. The first phase of the project, currently underway, involves a condition assessment of the existing facilities, an evaluation of available converter upgrade technologies, and a cost benefit analysis of the rehabilitation alternatives. Subsequent phases will include final design and construction.
  • Budget: $55.8 M
  • Construction Start: Winter 2016
  • Construction Complete: Fall 2021

Bethayres Substation (West Trenton Regional Rail Line)

Quote:
  • Budget: $11.5 M
  • Design Start: Winter 2016
  • Construction Start: Spring 2017
  • Construction Complete: Spring 2018

Chestnut Hill East Substation (Chestnut Hill East Regional Rail Line)

Quote:
Work includes new transformer, trolley breakers, feeder breakers, substation switchgear and protective relaying. This project will replace the major power components of an 80+ year old substation.
  • Budget: $7.2 M
  • Construction Start: Winter 2018
  • Construction Complete: Summer 2018

Hatboro Substation (Warminster Regional Rail Line)

Quote:
Work includes a new transformer, a new transformer breaker, and protective relaying. This project will replace the major power components of an 80+ year old substation.
  • Budget: $7.2 M
  • Construction Start: Summer 2019
  • Construction Complete: Winter 2020

Neshaminy Substation (West Trenton Regional Rail Line)

Quote:
  • Budget: $9.8 M
  • Construction Start: Summer 2018
  • Construction Complete: Summer 2019

Yardley Substation (West Trenton Regional Rail Line)

Quote:
  • Budget: $9.8 M
  • Construction Start: Fall 2019

Source : http://septa.org/rebuilding/substation/overview.html
Old June 16th, 2015, 03:14 AM   #960
Nexis
Dark Wolf

SEPTA announces Fortuna rail station will stay open, as talks slated on nearby housing project

http://www.thereporteronline.com/gen...medium=twitter