daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 5th, 2015, 11:14 AM   #1041
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17045

Quote:
Metrolink examining safety of state-of-the-art rail cars in wake of Oxnard crash

By Dan Weikel

The evaluation marks a setback in the regional passenger railroad's campaign to employ advanced safety technology to help rebuild public confidence after a 2008 head-on collision in Chatsworth killed 28 and injured 135.

On Thursday, railroad officials announced that they will restrict the use of 57 of the new passenger cars that have control cabs for engineers and operate at the front of trains when they are being pushed from behind by locomotives.

The use of such “cab cars” is common practice among the nation's commuter railroads when trains reverse direction at the end of a line.
Read More at : http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/l...903-story.html

So much for tank trains being safer then UIC trains....
Visit the New Jersey Section

dimlys1994 liked this post

Last edited by Nexis; September 5th, 2015 at 04:42 PM.
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 7th, 2015, 07:22 AM   #1042
zaphod
PRESIDENT OF SPACE

Likes (Received): 1678

Metrolink sure has been handy as a real world testbed for rail crash tech, hasn't it :P

Is the network cursed?

After I'm gone, your earth will be free to live out its miserable span of existence, as one of my satellites, and that's how it's going to be...

Bring me the continuum transfunctioner...

zaphod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2015, 09:45 PM   #1043
Rodalvesdepaula
Scooter/motorbike lover

Likes (Received): 40998

Are there demand to a NJ Transit commuter train between New York - Penn Station and Philadephia - Jefferson Station, to operate only in rush hours and calling at all stations bewteen these two cities?

Rodalvesdepaula no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2015, 02:08 AM   #1044
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodalvesdepaula View Post
Are there demand to a NJ Transit commuter train between New York - Penn Station and Philadephia - Jefferson Station, to operate only in rush hours and calling at all stations bewteen these two cities?
Not really , Amtrak covers the Intercity portion...and they'll block any attempt at that... They used to have an Amtrak service that did run that route but NJT took over the service in 2005... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clocker_%28train%29

Rodalvesdepaula liked this post
Old September 10th, 2015, 03:14 AM   #1045
Rodalvesdepaula
Scooter/motorbike lover

Ah, the Clockers... These commuter-regional trains were operated by PRR and Amtrak during many decades.

This train should never have ceased to operate. Nowadays, Clocker cloud be an option for NJ Transit trains and a cheaper way to travel from Philly and NY, competing with Chinatown buses. A "new" Clocker service could be operated in a partnership between Amtrak, NJ Transit and SEPTA, with an Amtrak locomotive pulling NJT Comet V cars and NJT/SEPTA staff between Penn Station and 30th Street Station (or Philadelphia Airport).

Last edited by Rodalvesdepaula; September 10th, 2015 at 03:20 AM.
Old September 10th, 2015, 03:34 AM   #1046
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Quote:
Ah, the Clockers... These commuter-regional trains were operated by PRR and Amtrak during many decades.

This train should never have ceased to operate. Nowadays, Clocker cloud be an option for NJ Transit trains and a cheaper way to travel from Philly and NY, competing with Chinatown buses. A "new" Clocker service could be operated in a partnership between Amtrak, NJ Transit and SEPTA, with an Amtrak locomotive pulling NJT Comet V cars and NJT/SEPTA staff between Penn Station and 30th Street Station (or Philadelphia Airport).
Its only slightly faster...its 75mins to Trenton from NYP and 45mins to Center City Philly by connecting SEPTA train.
Old September 10th, 2015, 03:49 AM   #1047
Rodalvesdepaula
Scooter/motorbike lover

Yes, but a "new" Clocker would provide a cheaper and fast service between NY and Philly without change of trains in Trenton.

The distance from Penn Station to 30th Street Station is 95 miles. At average speed at 55 mph, Clocker trains would run from NY to Philly in 103 minutes. It is slower than NE Regional and Acela (of course...), but it is faster than NJT plus SEPTA trains. For those who commute in this corridor, it is a great advantage. Slower trains are cheaper to maintain.

Clocker could operate only in rush hour. There is a suggestion of a schedule:

Departures from 30th Station: 05:00 06:00 07:00 16:00 17:00

Departures from Penn Station: 05:30 06:30 16:30 17:30 18:30 22:30 (only in Friday)

Old September 10th, 2015, 03:59 AM   #1048
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Quote:
Yes, but a "new" Clocker would provide a cheaper and fast service between NY and Philly without change of trains in Trenton.

The distance from Penn Station to 30th Street Station is 95 miles. At average speed at 55 mph, Clocker trains would run from NY to Philly in 103 minutes. It is slower than NE Regional and Acela (of course...), but it is faster than NJT plus SEPTA trains. For those who commute in this corridor, it is a great advantage. Slower trains are cheaper to maintain.

Clocker could operate only in rush hour. There is a suggestion of a schedule:

Departures from 30th Station: 05:00 06:00 07:00 16:00 17:00

Departures from Penn Station: 05:30 06:30 16:30 17:30 18:30 22:30 (only in Friday)
Its 15$ to Trenton & 8$ to Center City... There really isn't a demand for a slow service , True HSR is in demand...and more infill stations for SEPTA would be nice. But a return of Clocker service isn't...

Old September 10th, 2015, 04:30 AM   #1049
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Cab Ride. USA. Fox Lake - Chicago

NS162 liked this post
Old September 10th, 2015, 04:38 AM   #1050
Rodalvesdepaula
Scooter/motorbike lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis View Post
Its 15$ to Trenton & 8$ to Center City... There really isn't a demand for a slow service , True HSR is in demand...and more infill stations for SEPTA would be nice. But a return of Clocker service isn't...
I understood. Passengers can buy NJT tickets for Northeast Corridor Line in 30th Street Station?

I saw in a website that Jefferson Station could be the HSR station for Philly. But, I believe Amtrak will use 30th Street for HSR in Philadelphia.

How much cost a NE Regional ticket from Philly to NY? Acela Express is much more expensive, of course.

Old September 10th, 2015, 04:45 AM   #1051
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Quote:
I understood. Passengers can buy NJT tickets for Northeast Corridor Line in 30th Street Station?

I saw in a website that Jefferson Station could be the HSR station for Philly. But, I believe Amtrak will use 30th Street for HSR in Philadelphia.

How much cost a NE Regional ticket from Philly to NY? Acela Express is much more expensive, of course.
Yes you can buy a Philly Ticket at any NJT station...its for the connecting SEPTA service which is usually right across the platform in Trenton. Amtrak tickets vary depending on when you buy , same with Bus. Its an average of 35$ for a one way. So the local service is cheaper... Well the True HSR Services would shift to Market East...while Intercity and more Regional Service would use 30th Street.

Old September 10th, 2015, 06:08 AM   #1052
00Zy99

Likes (Received): 1507

Given the capacity constraints at Penn Station and the desire to avoid redundancy, I would put the best run as being Hoboken-Philly Airport via West Trenton and Jenkintown. Of course, I'm somewhat biased given that Jenkintown is a five minute walk from my house....

However, this WOULD tap the more affluent suburbs located inland along the SEPTA West Trenton Line. It would also avoid paying more fees to Amtrak than absolutely necessary. And by going to Hoboken, you can connect to PATH for Midtown and Downtown access.

On the other hand, following the Pennsylvania/NEC line would tap Cornwells Heights, which is a major Park-and-Ride, and would enable commuting from Princeton and New Brunswick to Philadelphia (a tiny but growing market).

00Zy99 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2015, 04:57 PM   #1053
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Advocates, former govs urge Baker to take up Boston rail link
Quote:
By Lauren Dezenski 5:00 a.m. | Sep. 9, 2015

The finished tunnel, bored beneath the central artery running through the city’s core, could include between two and four rail lines and is estimated to cost anywhere between $2 billion and $8 billion dollars.
[.....]
“With the current building boom in Boston, if we don’t act now, it will be the death of rail unification,” Bellows said, noting key parcels of land necessary for the rail expansion are being carved up and developed, including the Cambridge’s North Point, Widett Circle in South Boston, and the Hook Lobster property in the Financial District.
Read More Here : http://www.capitalnewyork.com/articl...ston-rail-link
Old September 10th, 2015, 05:40 PM   #1054
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00Zy99 View Post
Given the capacity constraints at Penn Station and the desire to avoid redundancy, I would put the best run as being Hoboken-Philly Airport via West Trenton and Jenkintown. Of course, I'm somewhat biased given that Jenkintown is a five minute walk from my house....

However, this WOULD tap the more affluent suburbs located inland along the SEPTA West Trenton Line. It would also avoid paying more fees to Amtrak than absolutely necessary. And by going to Hoboken, you can connect to PATH for Midtown and Downtown access.

On the other hand, following the Pennsylvania/NEC line would tap Cornwells Heights, which is a major Park-and-Ride, and would enable commuting from Princeton and New Brunswick to Philadelphia (a tiny but growing market).
I would love to see restored service between Hoboken & Philly via West Trenton.... They could buy a dozen RDC Budd trains for a starter service...servicing the following stops for limit service and rush hr service. It would not stop at every station nor would it be fully electrified due to CSX and NJT...You would just have to upgrade a few things like Waterfront Connection , build a Flying JCT for Raritan Valley x NEC in Newark and Double track the West Trenton line.

Local Service -- 10 Roundtrips

Hoboken Terminal
Newark Penn Station
Union
Cranford
Westfield
Plainfield
Bound Brook
Hillsborough
Belle Mead
Hopewell
Pennington
Hopewell - I-95
West Trenton
Woodbourne
Langhorne
Somerton
Philmont
Bethayres
Jenkintown-Wyncote
Elkins Park
Fern Rock TC
Wayne Junction
Tempe University
Market East Station
Suburban Station
30th Street Station

Express Service -- 2 Round Trips during rush hr

Hoboken Terminal
Newark Penn Station
Cranford
Westfield
Plainfield
Hopewell - I-95
West Trenton
Woodbourne
Langhorne
Jenkintown-Wyncote
Wayne Junction
Tempe University
Market East Station
Suburban Station
30th Street Station

Old September 10th, 2015, 06:52 PM   #1055
00Zy99

Actually, you'd need dual-mode locos if you wanted to go in the Center City Commuter Tunnel-SEPTA removed the diesel fans (against complaints) from the designs.

So an ALP-45DP and seven bi-levels (SEPTA can't handle longer trains and you need as much capacity as possible).

I'd also add a Crusader-like service:

30th St
Suburban
Market East
Temple University
Fern Rock (maybe)
Jenkintown
West Trenton
Cranford
Newark Penn
Hoboken

If you did some upgrades to the tracks, you could possibly get a trip time of ~75-90 minutes. That's competitive with almost anything else on the market.
Old September 10th, 2015, 07:31 PM   #1056
phoenixboi08

Likes (Received): 798

...is there some sort of primer on transit service [planning]...?
I try to wrap my head around some of the stuff going on here, but sometimes it doesn't quite "click."

Just curious to be able to understand some basic assumptions at hand when these ideas are brought up.
Old September 10th, 2015, 08:29 PM   #1057
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixboi08 View Post
...is there some sort of primer on transit service [planning]...?
I try to wrap my head around some of the stuff going on here, but sometimes it doesn't quite "click."

Just curious to be able to understand some basic assumptions at hand when these ideas are brought up.
There is the NJT West Trenton Commuter Rail Project...that would restore service between West Trenton and New York/Hoboken.... But that project is stalled due to lack of capacity on the NEC. Although Hoboken Terminal is under capacity...so they do have the room for a few more lines to feed into them. The Waterfront connection would need grade separation along with the South Newark Raritan Valley merge.
Old September 10th, 2015, 08:35 PM   #1058
00Zy99

Both the Waterfront and Raritan Valley junction improvements are being planned.
Old September 10th, 2015, 09:39 PM   #1059
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00Zy99 View Post
Both the Waterfront and Raritan Valley junction improvements are being planned.
Its in within the Gateway Project...which is inching along.
Old September 11th, 2015, 12:49 AM   #1060
Rodalvesdepaula
Scooter/motorbike lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis View Post
I would love to see restored service between Hoboken & Philly via West Trenton.... They could buy a dozen RDC Budd trains for a starter service...servicing the following stops for limit service and rush hr service. It would not stop at every station nor would it be fully electrified due to CSX and NJT...You would just have to upgrade a few things like Waterfront Connection , build a Flying JCT for Raritan Valley x NEC in Newark and Double track the West Trenton line.

Local Service -- 10 Roundtrips

Hoboken Terminal
Newark Penn Station
Union
Cranford
Westfield
Plainfield
Bound Brook
Hillsborough
Belle Mead
Hopewell
Pennington
Hopewell - I-95
West Trenton
Woodbourne
Langhorne
Somerton
Philmont
Bethayres
Jenkintown-Wyncote
Elkins Park
Fern Rock TC
Wayne Junction
Tempe University
Market East Station
Suburban Station
30th Street Station

Express Service -- 2 Round Trips during rush hr

Hoboken Terminal
Newark Penn Station
Cranford
Westfield
Plainfield
Hopewell - I-95
West Trenton
Woodbourne
Langhorne
Jenkintown-Wyncote
Wayne Junction
Tempe University
Market East Station
Suburban Station
30th Street Station
This commuter service could be operated in a partnership between SEPTA, NJT and Port Authority, using NJT Arrow EMU's with NJT/SEPTA staff. The ticket could include a one-way ride on PATH. In the other hand, some PATH stations (WTC, Christopher St, 9th St and 33rd St) would have NJT tickets machines with an option to buy tickets to Philly via PATH.

Last edited by Rodalvesdepaula; September 11th, 2015 at 01:17 AM.