daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 11th, 2015, 02:22 AM   #1061
00Zy99

Likes (Received): 1507

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodalvesdepaula View Post
This commuter service could be operated in a partnership between SEPTA, NJT and Port Authority, using NJT Arrow EMU's with NJT/SEPTA staff. The ticket could include a one-way ride on PATH. In the other hand, some PATH stations (WTC, Christopher St, 9th St and 33rd St) would have NJT tickets machines with an option to buy tickets to Philly via PATH.
The problem is that the line isn't electrified from West Trenton to Aldene (where it joins the NEC near Newark).

Rodalvesdepaula liked this post
00Zy99 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 11th, 2015, 02:44 AM   #1062
Rodalvesdepaula
Scooter/motorbike lover

Likes (Received): 40998

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00Zy99 View Post
The problem is that the line isn't electrified from West Trenton to Aldene (where it joins the NEC near Newark).
In this case, ALP-45 dual-mode locomotives could be operated in the line. By the way, a NJT commuter train via West Trenton and Roselle Park could help to reduce NJT commuter bus traffic in the overcrowded PABT, with an intermodal ticket*.

But, I believe that a rush service between 30th Street and Hoboken via NEC could have a good ridership too. This service would make stops at all NEC stations from 30th Street to Newark.

*Good for a city bus ride + NJT commuter train to Hoboken or Penn Station (free change in Newark).

Last edited by Rodalvesdepaula; September 11th, 2015 at 02:51 AM.
Rodalvesdepaula está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2015, 03:07 AM   #1063
00Zy99

Quote:
In this case, ALP-45 dual-mode locomotives could be operated in the line. By the way, a NJT commuter train via West Trenton and Roselle Park could help to reduce NJT commuter bus traffic in the overcrowded PABT, with an intermodal ticket.
I suppose that you'd be diverting Route 1 buses over to the new stations and having people ride the train to PATH and/or ferries?

Quote:
But, I believe that a rush service between 30th Street and Hoboken via NEC could have a good ridership too. This service would make stops at all NEC stations from 30th Street to Newark.
Not every station. You could probably skip a few stops like Linden and Metropark along the NJ side. And there TONS of minor stations with small numbers of commuters in PA that you wouldn't bother to stop at.

Old September 11th, 2015, 03:22 AM   #1064
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17045

The Route 1 buses service all those corporate offices and retail jobs along the corridor. So diverting them to lessen ridership wouldn't do much. You might be able to shift some NEC riders over to the West Trenton line...since half of them drive. Where the Route 1 bus users mainly come from the college areas or poorer cities...
Visit the New Jersey Section

Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2015, 03:31 AM   #1065
Rodalvesdepaula
Scooter/motorbike lover

Quote:
I suppose that you'd be diverting Route 1 buses over to the new stations and having people ride the train to PATH and/or ferries?
Not all buses.

Some city buses from Somerset and Hunterdon Counties could operate only for NJT Plainfield Station, with increase of local schedule. Commuter lines 113 and 114 (for example) would change for integrated lines with NJT Raritan Valley and "West Trenton" lines. The ticket would allow a intermodal ride between city bus, train (with a free change to NEC trains in Newark, at request), PATH and/or ferries to Lower Manhattan.

As an option, a commuter rush-hour express bus from Plainfield region to PABT could be created.

Old September 11th, 2015, 03:41 AM   #1066
Rodalvesdepaula
Scooter/motorbike lover

Quote:

Not every station. You could probably skip a few stops like Linden and Metropark along the NJ side. And there TONS of minor stations with small numbers of commuters in PA that you wouldn't bother to stop at.
I agree.

This rush-hour service from 30th Street to Hoboken could stop in these stations:

North Philadelphia
Trenton
Princeton Junction
New Brunswich
Metropark
Linden
Elizabeth
Newark Liberty Airport
Newark
Hoboken

Old September 11th, 2015, 05:24 AM   #1067
00Zy99

I would add Cornwell Heights and drop Linden and Elizabeth (probably).

I would also route it through 30th Street upper level and terminate service at Suburban Station.

Old September 11th, 2015, 01:04 PM   #1068
Rodalvesdepaula
Scooter/motorbike lover

Suburban Station? I think Jefferson Station is a better choice...

Old September 11th, 2015, 03:29 PM   #1069
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Quote:
Suburban Station? I think Jefferson Station is a better choice...
Jefferson replaced Market East ...not Suburban...
Old September 11th, 2015, 03:41 PM   #1070
Rodalvesdepaula
Scooter/motorbike lover

No... I said Jefferson Station is a better station to terminate this service than Suburban.

Old September 11th, 2015, 04:38 PM   #1071
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Quote:
No... I said Jefferson Station is a better station to terminate this service than Suburban.
Suburban is closer to the Financial heart of Philly...Market East is closer to the tourist areas.

Old September 11th, 2015, 07:38 PM   #1072
00Zy99

There ARE a fair amount of businesses and other draws at Market East. The problem is that the system is NOT set up for terminating trains there. If you stop at Market East, you basically have to continue on to Temple University, and then dead-head to Wayne Junction (there's not much traffic for such an operation there and the best yard spot is just south of the platforms). The tracks aren't really set up to allow anything else, as I can tell from personal experience with watching SEPTA operations.

Of course, you COULD simply continue back around through Jenkintown and West Trenton, running the trains in a loop, but I don't know if that's the best idea.
Old September 12th, 2015, 12:43 AM   #1073
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Old September 20th, 2015, 05:50 AM   #1074
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Robi_damian, patel2897, dimlys1994, NS162 liked this post
Old September 22nd, 2015, 07:23 PM   #1075
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Quote:
Valley residents left waiting at the station
By Michael P. Mayko Updated 12:03 am, Tuesday, September 22, 2015

Which, according to Ansonia Mayor David Cassetti, means more trains traveling from Bridgeport to Waterbury.

“We need at least three more trains,” the mayor said. “We’re trying to build more apartments in our downtown. Those residents are going to need the train to get to and from work.”

[.....]
At the Bridgeport train station, Murphy made a pitch for $2 billion to repair, refurbish and increase service on the line, which carries at least 1,000 commuters a day between Bridgeport, Derby, Ansonia and Waterbury.
Read Full Article Here : http://www.ctpost.com/news/article/V...on-6519712.php
Old October 8th, 2015, 05:02 PM   #1076
jchernin

Likes (Received): 536

"SMART Cars 103 & 104 made their first trip over the Haystack Bridge in Petaluma

Photo Credit: SMART Junior Engineer Jadine Otero"

https://m.facebook.com/sonomamarintr...pe=3&source=48

mrsmartman, dimlys1994 liked this post
jchernin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2015, 11:00 PM   #1077
jchernin

Likes (Received): 536

More pics and info:

(pics Alvin Jornada / The Press Democrat)

Quote:
SMART marks first crossing on new Petaluma River bridge

BY DEREK MOORE
THE PRESS DEMOCRAT
October 7, 2015, 6:15PM

A Sonoma-Marin Area Rail Transit rail car crossed the Petaluma River for the first time Wednesday over a recently installed bridge, another major milestone in bringing passenger train service to the North Bay.

With train officials and SMART board member Jake Mackenzie looking over his shoulder, engineer Matt Shiffrar piloted the sleek two-car train toward the bridge near the Highway 101 overpass at Lakeville Highway. Once on the span, Shiffrar laid on the horn as cheers erupted from the cabin.

Mackenzie predicted “hundreds of thousands” of train passengers will make the same journey in the future.

Next week, work will begin on building platforms and installing ticket machines at rail stations, starting at the San Rafael site.

Engineers will be conducting high-speed tests of the rail cars on a section of track north of the Redwood Landfill in Novato, ahead of what is expected to be a full test run of the passenger line starting next summer. The 80-ton commuter trains are set to reach top speeds of 79 mph outside of cities, and SMART officials said the service is still on track to make its debut to the public late next year.

The Petaluma River bridge replacement was one of the largest single infrastructure projects for SMART in its bid to overhaul more than 42 miles of railroad in Sonoma and Marin counties. The $4.2 million replacement span, after being dismantled in Galveston, Tex., was brought by rail to the Bay Area and mostly re-assembled at Mare Island.

Farhad Mansourian, the rail authority’s general manager, said board members initially thought train planners were “crazy” for wanting to replace the existing Haystack Bridge with another one brought in from halfway across the country.

SMART is planning to operate seven two-car units along the route. The slope-nosed cars, called Diesel Multiple Units, run in pairs, with the ability to have a third car added in between to increase capacity. Each car has 79 seats, with standing room available for about 80 people. The cars also feature space for bicycles, Wi-Fi service and, in some cases, snack and beverage bars.

While SMART remains on track to debut service next year, funding for a planned link from downtown San Rafael to the Larkspur ferry terminal still is in doubt. A congressional feud over a federal road and highway spending bill threatens $20 million the rail agency is seeking for the project.

Mansourian on Wednesday remained confident the funding will be approved.

“In the unlikely event we don’t get the funding this year, there’s always next year,” he said. “But I feel confident we’ll be in good shape.”

You can reach Staff Writer Derek Moore at 521-5336 or [email protected]. On Twitter @deadlinederek.
http://www.pressdemocrat.com/news/45...allery=4587515
Old October 11th, 2015, 12:15 AM   #1078
Rodalvesdepaula
Scooter/motorbike lover

Trinity Railway Express (Fort Worth - Dallas)

In my opinion, TRE could create a rush-only express service between Fort Worth Intermodal Center and Dallas Union Station with only two stops: DFW Airport and Victory Station.

mrsmartman liked this post
Old October 11th, 2015, 06:32 AM   #1079
Electricron

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Trinity Railway Express (Fort Worth - Dallas)

In my opinion, TRE could create a rush-only express service between Fort Worth Intermodal Center and Dallas Union Station with only two stops: DFW Airport and Victory Station.
I would also like to see express services too. Believe it or not, Amtrak already provides that service once each way today.

The TRE trains taking an hour to travel 34 miles within the DFW metroplex isn't too long, considering how low the TRE fares are. Amtrak's daily non-stop service with higher fares is scheduled for an hour as well. So the truth is that having fewer stop express trains doesn't save any time without track improvements to support it.

For the TRE to provide more express services it will have to at least double track the entire corridor; less than half the 34 mile long TRE corridor is double track today. And that's the rub, the TRE is half owned by DART (Dallas transit agency) and half owned by FWTA (Fort Worth transit agency). While DART may be able to easily afford double tracking the TRE corridor in Dallas County, FWTA will continue to struggle to do so in Tarrant County.

Last edited by Electricron; October 11th, 2015 at 06:41 AM.
Electricron no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2015, 05:15 AM   #1080
hammersklavier
Feral

Likes (Received): 423

Quote:
Suburban has stub tracks. Market Ea--err--Jefferson doesn't.
hammersklavier no está en línea   Reply With Quote