daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Wales / Cymru

Wales / Cymru Cardiff, Swansea, Newport and the rest of Wales

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Old March 5th, 2010, 11:54 PM   #1
Viva_a_Historia

Likes (Received): 53

Differences between English people and Welsh people

Hi!

I am preparing my travel to England and Wales. I would like to know what distinguish Welsh people from the English people. I know that English people has an germanic origin and Welsh people descend from the ancient britons but what I am asking is about way of living, attitudes, behaviours and other things on the day by day life.
Viva_a_Historia no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old March 5th, 2010, 11:58 PM   #2
Carldiff

Likes (Received): 0

Day to day there is little real difference, everybody speaks English, and as for ancestry it doesn't really matter unless you're some die-hard nationalist. Most people will have English and Welsh family anyway. Where are you going to?
Carldiff no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2010, 09:04 PM   #3
JamesWales

Hi Viva,

It would probably be crude to try to highlight differences, as the two nations are 90% the same really. A rural village in Wales has more in common with a rural village in England, than with a Welsh city for example.

Some of the more obvious trends that are different though:

Politics:

The Conservative party tend to do less well in Wales, and the Labour party has traditionally dominated.

Sport:

Rugby Union is substantially more popular in Wales than in England. Rugby is probably as popular as football in Wales, whereas that is not the case in England.

Language:

All the signs are bilingual in Wales, being in Welsh and English. Most Welsh people speak English in a day to day basis, but nearly every welsh person knows some Welsh language, or there are certain words and phrases unique to Wales that define it more.

There are of course many differences, but there are as many if not more differences between parts of Wales, than there are between Wales and England as a whole.
JamesWales no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2010, 01:53 AM   #4
seasider

Likes (Received): 1

wales for the last ten years has had it's own assembly government parliament so so things are different in wales compared to england especially in education and health. for instance in wales people get free prescriptions and free parking at hospitals
seasider no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2010, 05:58 PM   #5
Viva_a_Historia

Likes (Received): 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carldiff View Post
Day to day there is little real difference, everybody speaks English, and as for ancestry it doesn't really matter unless you're some die-hard nationalist. Most people will have English and Welsh family anyway. Where are you going to?
I am going to Cardiff and Swansea. I tried to book beds for the North of Wales but I couldn't so my travel will be these two cities and also to Birmingham, Oxford, Bath and Bristol.
Viva_a_Historia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2010, 09:45 PM   #6
seasider

when you go to Bath

go to this spa

http://www.thermaebathspa.com/
seasider no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2010, 09:12 PM   #7
liamcymro
liamcymro

If you do ever come here to North West Wales - Welsh is much more popular with around 62% + of the population speaking Welsh, as I do! But Cardiff, I just love Cardiff - a fantastic city, nice cosmopolitan place to live - Looking forward to be at the University there next year studing Welsh!
liamcymro no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2010, 03:20 PM   #8
stewgog

O le dach chi'n dŵad yn wreiddiol yn y gog liam?
stewgog no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2010, 08:11 PM   #9
liamcymro
liamcymro

O Ddeiniolen - gobeithio symud lawr i Gaerdydd flwyddyn nesa' i'r brifysgol yna!
liamcymro no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2010, 02:12 PM   #10
Gareth
Keltlandia

Likes (Received): 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viva_a_Historia View Post
I know that English people has an germanic origin and Welsh people descend from the ancient britons but what I am asking is about way of living, attitudes, behaviours and other things on the day by day life.
That's a bit of a lazy assumption, based on language, though one that a lot of people buy into. There's no significant ethnic difference between British nations. As has been said, for any supposed difference, there are probably ten or more things which unite us and even those differences probably don't strictly fall along home country boundaries.

If you're looking for the Welsh language, then North West Wales (the Gwynedd area) is the place to go. In many of the small villages in the area, Welsh is used as an everyday language, though they can switch to English for non-locals.
Gareth no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2010, 10:51 PM   #11
Lostboy

Likes (Received): 13

There is nothing in common between the two people. The English are proud of their Germanic and are similar to the Icelandic, Germans, Alsacians, Danish, Norwegians, Swedes, Faroese, Flemish, Dutch, Frisians and Austrians. The Welsh have much more in common with Scotland, Ireland, Manx, Cornish, Bretons and Galicians.
Lostboy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2010, 01:39 AM   #12
kids

Likes (Received): 172

I feel like i live in the same country as a welshman, i see no difference in cultural heritage or whatever.
kids no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2010, 03:05 PM   #13
Gareth
Keltlandia

Likes (Received): 60

I do see huge differences between me & Lostboy though; mainly on our relative grips on reality.
Gareth no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2010, 08:42 PM   #14
Pondle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostboy View Post
There is nothing in common between the two people. The English are proud of their Germanic and are similar to the Icelandic, Germans, Alsacians, Danish, Norwegians, Swedes, Faroese, Flemish, Dutch, Frisians and Austrians. The Welsh have much more in common with Scotland, Ireland, Manx, Cornish, Bretons and Galicians.
The idea that the English are a 'Germanic' people as opposed to the 'Celtic' Welsh, Scots and Irish has been kind of blown away by the more recent genetics studies.
Pondle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2010, 08:49 PM   #15
Lostboy

Likes (Received): 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pondle View Post
The idea that the English are a 'Germanic' people as opposed to the 'Celtic' Welsh, Scots and Irish has been kind of blown away by the more recent genetics studies.
I am referring to culture not race. How sad that the Celts are the last people in Europe to judge people by their genetics and their blood lineage.
Lostboy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2010, 09:41 PM   #16
Pondle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostboy View Post
I am referring to culture not race. How sad that the Celts are the last people in Europe to judge people by their genetics and their blood lineage.
I didn't say anything about 'judging'.

Besides, your idea of a 'Germanic' English culture or a 'Celtic' Welsh, Irish and Scots one is a nonsense. The English language, for example, is heavily influenced by French and very different to the other Germanic languages. And up until the 18th century, no-one in Britain or Ireland thought of their ancestors as 'Celtic'.

Last edited by Pondle; April 3rd, 2010 at 09:41 PM. Reason: typo
Pondle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2010, 10:13 PM   #17
stewgog

Quote:
Originally Posted by liamcymro View Post
O Ddeiniolen - gobeithio symud lawr i Gaerdydd flwyddyn nesa' i'r brifysgol yna!
Dwi'n nabod y lle yn dda. Mi fydda i fynd i fyny 'Elidir Fawr' yn fuan. Mae'n mynydd arbennig acos mae'n sefyll ar ei ben ei hun.

Bob lwc yn y de!
stewgog no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2011, 11:44 AM   #18
arunasworld

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewgog View Post
Dwi'n nabod y lle yn dda. Mi fydda i fynd i fyny 'Elidir Fawr' yn fuan. Mae'n mynydd arbennig acos mae'n sefyll ar ei ben ei hun.

Bob lwc yn y de!
Iaith Gymraeg yn edrych fel Sweden neu Norwy
arunasworld no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2011, 11:19 PM   #19
aek-94

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunasworld View Post
Iaith Gymraeg yn edrych fel Sweden neu Norwy
I agree it does (BTW, I cheated to translate with Google, I only know a few basic phrases ).

As somebody has said above a Welsh village probably does have some similarities to some English villages, but I have to disagree when it was said that it has more in common with an English village than a Welsh city like Cardiff. IMO, Wales has it's own distinct feel when you're there, and the entire country has this feel; so I'd have to say a Welsh village has more in common with a Welsh city, than an English village. Just my opinion
aek-94 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2011, 11:10 PM   #20
Exethalion
GCU Grey Area

Likes (Received): 198

Lived in Cardiff for 4 years, on the surface it seems mostly the same as any English city. Being a capital it's substantially better maintained and more cosmopolitan though, rare thing to see in a relatively small city.
Exethalion no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: