daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 28th, 2010, 12:19 AM   #181
DogCow

Likes (Received): 0

If...

Quote:
Originally Posted by miguelon View Post
Why did SA bother building Soccer City, if they already had this beauty?

South Africa is a very poor country so it may have been appropriate to just pancake another section of stands on top of another one. In America we would just destroy it and build something even uglier. Especially if it were a real jewel... that's really something my country would want to tear down.
DogCow no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 28th, 2010, 12:23 AM   #182
DogCow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alx-D View Post
Autostade, Montreal, PQ

image hosted on flickr
This was designed to have a non alcohol section? To keep rival football hooligans apart? So you won't sneak over to the good seats without paying? The architect designed the stadium after a blooming onion he had as an appetizer at an American stake house?
Old December 28th, 2010, 01:28 AM   #183
Anubis2051
Captian Clutch

Likes (Received): 67

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogCow View Post
This was designed to have a non alcohol section? To keep rival football hooligans apart? So you won't sneak over to the good seats without paying? The architect designed the stadium after a blooming onion he had as an appetizer at an American stake house?
Even crazier, that place was considered as the home of the Expos for a time!
Anubis2051 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2010, 04:10 AM   #184
bd popeye

Likes (Received): 10617

Quote:
There were a slew of stadiums that had this cookie cutter look. To me they looked like big concrete ashtrays. Philadelphia, Cincinnati, St. Louis, Atlanta, Oakland, Washington and San Diego had pretty much the same stadium. The Astrodome, Kingdome and Olympic Stadium were almost the same with a roof on top. They were all more or less ugly but common.
The Oakland-Alameda County Coliseum, Qualcomm Stadium. Looked nothing like Riverfront, Three River, Fulton County and RFK. Nor did the Astrodome, Kingdome & Olympic Stadium look alike. Not to me. Ugly? Maybe.. the same? No. Functional for that time in history? Yes.

By the way when Three Rivers opened it had something called Tartan Turf..not astro-turf.

http://www.steelersfever.com/three_rivers_stadium.html

Quote:
Being a multipurpose stadium, tartan turf was the playing surface until 1982 when Astroturf was installed.

August 1971 - August 1991

I yam what I yam!

US Navy Photo Gallery

Chinese Daily Photos!!!..| SSC

Last edited by bd popeye; April 25th, 2011 at 06:25 PM. Reason: add quote
bd popeye está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2010, 10:38 PM   #185
RobH

Likes (Received): 10523

Quote:
Originally Posted by www.sercan.de View Post
Yes. I like new Wembley, but old towers should have been the ain part of the new design.
Removing them was the worst thing.
This stadium is at least twice the height of the old Wembley. They would have looked ridiculous if they were kept. They towered over the old stadium, they'd be dwarfed by a modern 90,000 seater:

Some photos of the New Wembley it looks like one of the most beautiful stadiums on earth, others it looks like a big lump of ugliness. The photo MeerkatCity posted belongs to the latter group.
RobH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2010, 03:36 AM   #186
Hia-leah JDM

Likes (Received): 11315

Something like this would've been fine.

image hosted on flickr

What happened to the twin towers anyways? Were they preserved?
Hia-leah JDM no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2010, 12:49 PM   #187
RobH

If you say so, I think that looks ridiculous! No, they weren't preserved.
Old December 29th, 2010, 02:36 PM   #188
Lord David

Likes (Received): 104

Agreed. What would be the purpose?

Obviously it wouldn't be the main entrance, as if it were, it would mean that people would be entering it first, before going to another entrance, just to get inside Wembley.
If it weren't the main entrance, would it just be needless open gates to let people through? People would just try and bypass it.

So the obvious answer would be some sort of needless museum, that showcases the history of Wembley. It just wouldn't work, it would be like a speed hump on a road, effectively forcing people to just pass through or avoid it altogether.

Then you got the overall look, modern architecture just wouldn't match the old towers' facade.
Lord David no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2010, 02:56 PM   #189
www.sercan.de
Galatasaray SK

Likes (Received): 2724

Maybe museum?

ULEB Eurocup (1): 2016

FIBA EuroLeague Women (1): 2014
FIBA EuroCup Women (1): 2009

IWBF Champions Cup (5): 2008, 2009, 2011, 2013, 2014
IWBF André Vergauwen Cup (1): 2017
IWBF Intercontinental Cup (4): 2008, 2009, 2011, 2012

EJU Golden League (1): 2014
www.sercan.de no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2010, 04:24 PM   #190
Rev Stickleback

Likes (Received): 2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hia-leah JDM View Post
Something like this would've been fine.

image hosted on flickr

What happened to the twin towers anyways? Were they preserved?
In theory it would have been nice to have preserved them, perhaps as individual towers forming a sort of entrance, but in reality it just wasn't possible. The whole stadium shifted, and as can be seen in RobH's picture, required them to be removed.

I believe they were also not of a construction that would allow them to be dismantled and rebuilt elsewhere.
Rev Stickleback no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2010, 04:55 PM   #191
parcdesprinces
churches & stadia/arenas

Likes (Received): 9925

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobH View Post
I think that looks ridiculous!
On the contrary, I find it quite elegant .. and that's exactly what the New Wembley lacks (elegant/classy touches) IMHO.
parcdesprinces no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2010, 08:31 PM   #192
rantanamo

Likes (Received): 353

I don't think it would look bad at all. We have a good example already

rantanamo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2010, 09:40 PM   #193
RobH

Quote:
Originally Posted by parcdesprinces View Post
On the contrary, I find it quite elegant .. and that's exactly what the New Wembley lacks (elegant/classy touches) IMHO.
I agree that the new Wembley is a bit generic in terms of its details and its glassy exterior (though it is undoubtedly very impressive as you approach it from Wembley Park tube, especially at night), but I don't think retaining the twin towers would have added much or helped in that regard. I'd hardly describe them as elegent/classy structures anyway. They have a kind of nostalgic/kitsch quality, and of course for many they encapsulted the history of the old stadium including '66, but I'm not convinced keeping them would have been a good idea. I think they would look rather sad and a little pathetic dwarfed by the New Wembley, and Hia-leah JDM's photoshop only confirms that for me.

Each to their own though I guess. You went to Wembley when France beat us didn't you, so at least you're speaking from experience, even if I do disagree.
Old January 8th, 2011, 12:06 PM   #194
Zeno2

Likes (Received): 3

Ataturk Stadium Istanbul, hard to believe that it is not even a decade old.
Horrible.

Maksimir stadium Zagreb.

Zeno2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2011, 03:17 PM   #195
matthemod

Likes (Received): 98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeno2 View Post
Ataturk

Maksimir
You already posted this before

My MiniCity!
matthemod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2011, 02:38 AM   #196
machii
de Newell's yo soy!

Likes (Received): 3

club atletico tigre, argentina

machii no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2011, 03:06 PM   #197
Alemanniafan

Likes (Received): 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobH View Post
I agree that the new Wembley is a bit generic in terms of its details and its glassy exterior (though it is undoubtedly very impressive as you approach it from Wembley Park tube, especially at night), but I don't think retaining the twin towers would have added much or helped in that regard. I'd hardly describe them as elegent/classy structures anyway. They have a kind of nostalgic/kitsch quality, and of course for many they encapsulted the history of the old stadium including '66, but I'm not convinced keeping them would have been a good idea. I think they would look rather sad and a little pathetic dwarfed by the New Wembley, and Hia-leah JDM's photoshop only confirms that for me.

Each to their own though I guess. You went to Wembley when France beat us didn't you, so at least you're speaking from experience, even if I do disagree.
I agree that keeping the old twin towers wouldn't have been much of a great idea, except integrating them into some sort of museum maybe or entrance gate aside the new Wembley as a memorial.
But implementing new, modern twin towers into the stadium design of the new Wembley would have been far nicer, far better and far more unique than this awkward gigantic steel arch, turning the New Wembley Stadium into some strangely oversized shopping basket kind of structure.
Old January 10th, 2011, 07:56 PM   #198
RobH

I really like the arch as it's a light and quite elegant structure, and a clever way of holding the roof in position without compromising on aesthetics (in fact, it ADDS to the stadium's aesthetics). That said, I wouldn't have been against a "reimagining" of the twin towers to match the scale of the new stadium as you suggest - though if done poorly that could result in overblown Germania-esque architecture.

The main thing which I'd change about the New Wembley's exterior is the endless glass exterior. It's pretty uninteresting and a bit of a dissapointment when you have the magnificent arch soaring above it.
Old January 11th, 2011, 06:34 AM   #199
DogCow

Twin Towers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev Stickleback View Post
In theory it would have been nice to have preserved them, perhaps as individual towers forming a sort of entrance, but in reality it just wasn't possible. The whole stadium shifted, and as can be seen in RobH's picture, required them to be removed.

I believe they were also not of a construction that would allow them to be dismantled and rebuilt elsewhere.
I took a tour of the old Wembley stadium where the tour guides let you sit in the royal box and visit the locker rooms. I was informed that it was a law that the twin towers could not be moved or destroyed by law. Obviously that can change.

I would love to have seen the towers used in the new stadium. They were so quintessentially British. The new Wembley doesn't look British at all. In fact it looks a lot like Madison Square Garden or the Spectrum in some ways because of the wrap around glass. The large arch makes me think that the building is still under construction. "When are they going to take the scaffolding down".
Old April 22nd, 2011, 12:52 AM   #200
Habsman
Montreal Should have

percival molson stadium is nice, just small, much too small
Habsman no está en línea   Reply With Quote