daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 18th, 2015, 08:27 AM   #121
dimlys1994

Likes (Received): 26132

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashis Mitra View Post
I heard Helwan's tram network is completely closed, is it true? There are some tram maps of Cairo, although now Cairo city has closed its tram system in 2004, now tram serves in Heliopolis area.
Yes, it was closed in 2011:
http://en.sporvognsrejser.dk/byer/ca..._in_helwan_cta
http://en.sporvognsrejser.dk/byer/ca...heliopolis_cta

Do you have names of the stops?

For you:
Facebook & Flickr pages

Zaz965 liked this post

Last edited by dimlys1994; January 18th, 2015 at 08:35 AM.
dimlys1994 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 18th, 2015, 01:33 PM   #122
arctic_carlos
Recondita armonia

Likes (Received): 3945

I've found this map from www.cityrailtransit.com, but unfortunately it's neither updated nor has tram stops names...

http://www.cityrailtransit.com/maps/cairo_map.htm

Bertolt Brecht

dimlys1994 liked this post
arctic_carlos no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2015, 06:25 PM   #123
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

Likes (Received): 5762

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic_carlos View Post
I've found this map from www.cityrailtransit.com, but unfortunately it's neither updated nor has tram stops names...
It still has Mubarak's name.

Zaz965 liked this post
Woonsocket54 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2015, 02:45 AM   #124
dwdwone
Subway Dave

Likes (Received): 39

So the only remaining tram is in Alexandria?

Also, can you make the map a bit bigger? I'm having trouble seeing it.

Zaz965 liked this post
dwdwone no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2015, 10:29 AM   #125
dimlys1994

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwdwone View Post
So the only remaining tram is in Alexandria?

Also, can you make the map a bit bigger? I'm having trouble seeing it.
No, tram in Cairo is remained is Heliopolis. So two tram networks are in Egypt

If you are interested in Alexandria, you can see here:
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1792039

Zaz965 liked this post
Old January 29th, 2015, 09:58 PM   #126
Ashis Mitra

Likes (Received): 1144

Africa’s oldest metro naturally keeping largest metro title also. Great progress. It opened line 1 in 1987 (conversion from suburban rail line), and now it runs two more lines also, which are totally newly built. Three lines are three types –

Line 1 uses overhead wire, mostly overground, converted from suburban rail line.
Line 2 uses third rail, mostly underground, completely new line, and first underwater metro in Africa.
Line 3 uses third rail, fully underground, completely new line.

Line 2 has many similarities with my city Kolkata’s only metro line, but I personally like Line 3. It is a really modern line; especially the metro-cars are true state of the art. But I heard, in future, it will serve towards Airport, and then the remaining tram service in Heliopolis will be closed, it is a sad story. However, a dense metro network is no-doubt much better for fast moving within the cities and suburbs.

I have some questions which I have never asked before –

1) When will the remaining portion of Line 3 be opened for public?
2) Photos of Line 3 is not much available here, Please post some photos of line 3 metro cars.
3) When will line 4 be opened?
4) Is there any remain of former Cairo city tram system? If yes please upload some photos of such remains.
5) I heard recently the tram system of Helwan has completely closed, is it true? Please write some details.
6) I also heard Cairo is planning to return tram, but Wikipedia tells it will be a new tram-train. Which is true? New tram-train or new tram? Please write some details.
Old January 29th, 2015, 10:41 PM   #127
dimlys1994

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashis Mitra View Post
Africa’s oldest metro naturally keeping largest metro title also. Great progress. It opened line 1 in 1987 (conversion from suburban rail line), and now it runs two more lines also, which are totally newly built. Three lines are three types –

Line 1 uses overhead wire, mostly overground, converted from suburban rail line.
Line 2 uses third rail, mostly underground, completely new line, and first underwater metro in Africa.
Line 3 uses third rail, fully underground, completely new line.

Line 2 has many similarities with my city Kolkata’s only metro line, but I personally like Line 3. It is a really modern line; especially the metro-cars are true state of the art. But I heard, in future, it will serve towards Airport, and then the remaining tram service in Heliopolis will be closed, it is a sad story. However, a dense metro network is no-doubt much better for fast moving within the cities and suburbs.

I have some questions which I have never asked before –

1) When will the remaining portion of Line 3 be opened for public?
2) Photos of Line 3 is not much available here, Please post some photos of line 3 metro cars.
3) When will line 4 be opened?
4) Is there any remain of former Cairo city tram system? If yes please upload some photos of such remains.
5) I heard recently the tram system of Helwan has completely closed, is it true? Please write some details.
6) I also heard Cairo is planning to return tram, but Wikipedia tells it will be a new tram-train. Which is true? New tram-train or new tram? Please write some details.
For answers on questions 4, 5 see above

Zaz965 liked this post
Old February 1st, 2015, 05:54 PM   #128
mouadh25

Likes (Received): 1775

i was going to ask that some question where the girls ? Is it that often the womens harassment in the metro ? or just for conservative reason like the saudians do ... but with the difference that in Cairo its optional
Old February 1st, 2015, 07:56 PM   #129
Tom 958

Likes (Received): 163

I resized this-- it's my good deed for the day. Now I can go out and do something reprehensible.
Old February 27th, 2015, 05:17 PM   #130
dimlys1994

From Rail Journal:

Quote:
http://www.railjournal.com/index.php...ml?channel=525

Cairo metro Line 3 contracts awarded
Friday, February 27, 2015

EGYPT's National Authority for Tunnels (NAT) signed infrastructure contracts on February 25 for Phase 4A of metro Line 3, which will extend the line 5.7km from Haroun station in Heliopolis to Al-Nozha 1

Signalling, train control, and telecommunications will be provided by Thales and Alstom, which will supply its Urbalis 200 signalling system, points machines, and station signalling equipment. A consortium of Colas Rail, Orascom, and Arabco will be responsible for infrastructure, with Alstom providing power supplies, electromechanical equipment and ventilation systems.

Alstom's share of the two contracts is worth €80m

Mo_Hy liked this post
Old March 20th, 2015, 02:35 PM   #131
Neb81

Likes (Received): 71

Quote:
Originally Posted by mouadh25 View Post
i was going to ask that some question where the girls ? Is it that often the womens harassment in the metro ? or just for conservative reason like the saudians do ... but with the difference that in Cairo its optional
Cairo metro has women-only carriages, so most women prefer to use them, though it's not compulsory. There is a lot of harassment though.

mouadh25 liked this post
Neb81 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2015, 11:17 AM   #132
dimlys1994

From The National:

Quote:
http://www.thenational.ae/business/e...t-tracks#page1

More suburban transport would put crowded Cairo on right tracks
March 25, 2015

The government has been working to extend metro lines to Cairo’s outskirts, but not anywhere near quickly enough. The third metro line is due to reach the airport in three years, and a contract was recently awarded to extend it towards Tenth of Ramadan City 50km from central Cairo.

Egyptian ministers plan a fourth line that would reach Al Rimaya square near the pyramids, which would put it within about 10km from Sheikh Zayed and about 20km from Sixth of October, but bidding for the contract has been delayed until later this year

Zaz965 liked this post
Old May 2nd, 2015, 07:32 PM   #133
dimlys1994

Digging of 4th phase of 3rd Cairo Metro Line inaugurated on 16 April:
http://www.thecairopost.com/news/146...-inaugurated-2

Zaz965, geometarkv liked this post
Old June 16th, 2015, 11:00 AM   #134
dimlys1994

From Rail Journal:

Quote:

Cairo to acquire new metro train fleet
Monday, June 15, 2015

EGYPT's Ministry of Transport has applied to the European Bank for Reconstruction and Development for a €175m loan to help fund the acquisition of a fleet of trains for the Cairo metro

The National Authority for Tunnels will be responsible for purchasing the trains and plans to invite bids during the third quarter of this year for a contract to supply and maintain the new trains

Zaz965, geometarkv liked this post
Old July 16th, 2015, 12:33 PM   #135
dimlys1994

From Railway Gazette:

Quote:
http://www.railwaygazette.com/news/n...-in-cairo.html

Hyundai Rotem trainset in service in Cairo
16 Jul 2015

EGYPT: The first Hyundai Rotem trainset on Cairo metro Line 1 has entered passenger service. This is four weeks ahead of the original schedule, as the National Authority for Tunnels was sufficiently satisfied with the results of test running, which started in March.

The NAT signed an E£2·16bn contract in December 2012 for 20 nine-car air-conditioned trainsets, funded by the national government. Four sets will be manufactured in South Korea, with the rest assembled in Egypt. The agreement stipulates that locally made components account for at least 22% of the deal’s total value. The contract includes a two-year warranty period, and Hyundai Rotem will maintain and repair the cars for a further eight years

lechevallierpatrick, Zaz965 liked this post
Old October 6th, 2015, 09:52 PM   #136
itfcfan

Likes (Received): 12

Video: Last days of the Heliopolis Tram (Cairo, 2015)

Last days of the Heliopolis Tram (Cairo, 2015) - 1/3
Last days of the Heliopolis Tram (Cairo, 2015) - 2/3
Last days of the Heliopolis Tram (Cairo, 2015) - 3/3

Quote:
The Heliopolis tram network once covered over 30km across the northern suburbs of Cairo. It's suffered from lack of maintenance for decades and in the past few years the network has been drastically cut back.

As of October 2015, only a single 3km stub between the Al Maza depot and Midan Mahkama (Court Square) is active and it's hard to imagine this final line surviving much longer.

A third line on Cairo Metro has expanded into this neighbourhood which is a welcome improvement. But the tram network used to provide a dense network of lines that could have been an ideal feeder system for the metro. There is talk of reviving the tram network, but with most of the lines being ripped up, it's hard to imagine new trams in Cairo.

Zaz965, dimlys1994 liked this post

Last edited by itfcfan; October 7th, 2015 at 01:05 AM. Reason: Added videos 2&3
itfcfan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2015, 02:53 PM   #137
dimlys1994

From Rail Journal:

Quote:
http://www.railjournal.com/index.php...ml?channel=532

Cairo awards Line 3 metro equipment contracts
Monday, November 09, 2015

EGYPT's National Authority for Tunnels (NAT) has awarded Alstom and its consortium partners contracts worth €187m to supply signalling, telecommunications and electromechanical equipment for the phase 3 extension of Cairo Metro's Line 3

Alstom, which is leading a consortium with Thales, will install its Urbalis signalling system as well as signalling equipment for stations, an Iconis train control centre, and point machines. Alstom together with Colas Rail, Orascom and Arabco will supply electro-mechanical equipment comprising substations to feed the third-rail electrification, ventilation, escalators and lifts. The signalling contract is worth €85m and the infrastructure contract €102m

Old November 27th, 2015, 03:56 PM   #138
dimlys1994

From Rail Journal:

Quote:

Cairo seeks new metro trains and fares review consultant
Friday, November 27, 2015

EGYPT's Ministry of Transport has invited expressions of interest for the acquisition of a fleet of 13 trains for the Cairo metro and a consultant to advise on the introduction of a new fares policy designed to increase revenue

The National Tunnels Authority (NAT) has approached the European Bank for Reconstruction and Development (ERDB) to assist with funding the purchase of the new trains which are needed to increase capacity on the metro

Old December 11th, 2015, 07:22 AM   #139
ramakrishna1984

Likes (Received): 788

Egyptian National Authority for Tunnels (NAT) will use the loan to buy 13 new trains to be operated on Line 2 under a supply and maintenance contract. 78km-long Cairo metro network currently carries three million passengers a day and may reach five million by 2020.

ramakrishna1984 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2016, 04:41 PM   #140
dimlys1994

From Railway Gazette:

Quote:
http://www.railwaygazette.com/news/n...ine-6-mou.html

Cairo signs metro Line 6 MoU
06 Jan 2016

EGYPT: The Ministry of Transportation has signed a memorandum of understanding with China Railway Construction Corp for the construction of Cairo metro Line 6.

Construction of the 24 km line is expected to cost US$3·5bn, with the financing still to be negotiated

For you:
Facebook & Flickr pages

Tags
cairo