daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 9th, 2005, 07:18 AM   #1
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18218

Australia Needs $100 Billion to Maintain Infrastructure

Australia's failing infrastructure needs $100bn boost to keep pace, engineers say
8 September 2005
The Age

AUSTRALIA'S rail network, local roads and stormwater and irrigation systems are barely adequate, each receiving a C-minus in a damning report into the nation's infrastructure.

Industry lobby group Engineers Australia, which gave the country's roads, rail network, electricity, gas, ports, water and airports a grading between A and F, found all required significant improvement before they met current and future needs.

The 2005 Australian Infrastructure Report Card gave an overall C-plus, an improvement, on the "abysmal" D-plus infrastructure was awarded in 2000, chief executive Peter Taylor said. But Australia had not made huge progress in five years. The standard of electricity supply and ports had declined, and rail networks, roads and stormwater and irrigation systems were the worst performing sectors.

He told the National Press Club yesterday it might take $100 billion to improve the systems. The report found many metropolitan rail networks were becoming congested, widespread delays remained and there were uncertainties with new investments.

"The Melbourne to Sydney to Brisbane corridor is still sub-standard and is seriously affecting rail freight viability," Mr Taylor said.

And cars were placing unsustainable demands on the road systems in major cities. The report estimated the total cost of congestion at $3 billion a year. Mr Taylor said significant improvements in public transport were essential to combat the problem and he believed a congestion tax, already in place in Singapore and London, would also be introduced in Australia.

Mr Taylor said most stormwater systems were old and funds for maintenance, repairs and renewals lacking. "Flood damage is the most expensive of Australia's natural disasters, averaging more than $300 million per year," he said.

Engineers Australia has called on the Government to establish an independent national infrastructure council. It would determine priorities for significant projects and decide whether they were better funded by the public or private sector.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 9th, 2005, 07:22 AM   #2
Syd-Hk
What Title?

Likes (Received): 1

how predictable
Syd-Hk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2005, 05:08 AM   #3
BobDaBuilder

I need more money in my bank balance also. Maybe I should form my own lobby group and get the government to "grant" me a couple of million.
BobDaBuilder no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2005, 05:43 AM   #4
Cee_em_bee

Well they're definatey not wrong, Australia's infastructure needs a lot of improvement, NSW is definately the biggest offender when it comes to this, NSW roads, rail and infastructure in general is absolutely horrible.

*Growing down
Cee_em_bee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2005, 05:54 AM   #5
Bertez

Likes (Received): 6

100 Billion seems way too much. Emphasis on the "way"
Bertez no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2006, 05:28 AM   #6
hkskyline
Hong Kong

New Zealand Bus Photos

I came across this set of bus photos from New Zealand, which we don't see often in this section.

By iczer3 from a Hong Kong transport forum :

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
Old March 29th, 2006, 07:16 AM   #7
ode of bund

Likes (Received): 70

How could you miss Wellington trolley coaches?
ode of bund no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2006, 09:37 AM   #8
Nick
Gosford/Sydney.

Likes (Received): 53

The buses in Auckland were not bad consdiering the lack of public transport in that city.I used Stagecoach to travel to the inner city areas,Owera,Henderson and Mission bay.For short routes like Mission bay they were perfect in light traffic.For Owera and Henderson,which are about 40min to 60min away,the buses were infrequent and indirect.The routes they took were mainly on the back streets and not on the motoways which would of made the service far more effecient.The bus to Mission bay was packed,due to popularity of the place on the weekends.Passengers to Owera were kind of light and virtually no one took the bus to Henderson in the west.

In the inner areas in and around the city the bus system has electronic signs telling you when the next service will arrrive.Generally they came every 10 mins.I was impressed with this.I found it easy to hop from Parnell to Ponsonby and into the city quite effortlessly.

I tried to use the train from Henderson to Britomart.Unfortunately it was closed for trackwork.A pity really.I was going to take the train somewhere in Auckland on one of my Sundays off but when I got to Britomart station the next train anywhere was in 55 mins.One hour to wait for a train???

In the future maybe Auckland should become a bus city with seperate lanes and possibly roads so buses can run like a metro.
Old March 29th, 2006, 01:15 PM   #9
invincible
Lurker

Likes (Received): 523

Yep, nothing beats the Wellington trolleybuses.

A lot of its fame is probably to do with the fact that it's the only remaining trolleybus network in the whole region - much like how Melbourne is the only city that has kept its trams.
invincible no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2006, 05:59 PM   #10
trueapprentice
HK

Likes (Received): 0

dont forget about the buses in Christchurch, buses are heavily relied upon there too !

chk out www.redbus.co.nz
trueapprentice no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2006, 06:17 PM   #11
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Feel free to add your photos to this thread!

Old October 31st, 2007, 04:24 PM   #12
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Australian Bus Photos

By CTB626-HE8132 from a Hong Kong transport forum :

Old November 14th, 2007, 11:07 PM   #13
gappa
Registered Abuser

Likes (Received): 123

Wow I didn't see this till now; thanks HK!
gappa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2007, 06:27 AM   #14
gappa
Registered Abuser

Likes (Received): 123

Here's one of my own showing Melbourne's new Tourist Shuttle. This is a free service that travels around Melbourne, stopping at sites of interest.

image hosted on flickr
gappa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2007, 07:08 AM   #15
forrestcat

Likes (Received): 7

Adelaide Metro Buses

Almost all are MAN.

forrestcat no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2007, 07:55 PM   #16
hkskyline
Hong Kong

By CTB626-HE8132 from a Hong Kong transport forum :

Old July 17th, 2008, 01:01 PM   #17
slashcruise
BANNED

Likes (Received): 11

nice pics.....
slashcruise no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2010, 09:19 PM   #18
Yardmaster
Registered Melbourne

Likes (Received): 198

AUSTRALASIA | Urban Transport Compilation

I thought I'd add a few cities- and links from my region.

"Australasia" generally means Australia & New Zealand down here.

Currently only two threads in this forum are active in this area:

MELBOURNE | Metro Train Melbourne,
MELBOURNE | Tram

Local (SSC OzScraper) threads for Public Transport in General: Sydney Melbourne Brisbane Perth Adelaide New Zealand

A Summary of Metropolitan/Urban systems in the Region:

The links lead to the official sites ... cities in order of population, and basically, in order of traffic.

Other cities in the area which have fixed-rail urban transport (on-street, mainly tourist): Ballarat, Bendigo, Christchurch.

Last edited by Yardmaster; March 12th, 2010 at 09:07 PM.
Yardmaster no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2010, 07:55 AM   #19
Solopop
Solopop

Likes (Received): 99

Thanks!

This should help people alot.
Solopop no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2010, 09:50 AM   #20
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden
Likes (Received): 8831

Veolia Auckland does have a website for Auckland's trains, but it's not the best website at the moment. It does exist, though!
Svartmetall no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
australia, new zealand, transport, urban