daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 28th, 2010, 11:01 AM   #21
K_

Likes (Received): 243

Quote:
Originally Posted by billy001 View Post
What about this ?
For international trains it seems that mobile lifts at the stations are for the moment the only practical solution.

Making local and regional transport barrier free is possible, and it serves the purpose of enabling wheelchair bound people to get around at their leisure well. The best way to achieve this is to just have level boarding. This way they (and other people with reduced mobility) can board and alight easily and without needing assistance. I see people in wheelchairs boarding our local trains quite regularly.

With long distance and international trains the problem is harder. It is a lot easier to match platform and train floor levels on a regional service. Long distance trains are all over Europe, and they have to fit the UIC standard design. High speed trains are again another matter. I think that for the foreseeable future mobile lifts operated by station staff is the only solution here. The railways at least try to make it easy by having one central telephonenumber you can call to arrange for assistance.

I however don't think there is much use for train installed lifts, for reasons I've already mentioned.
K_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 28th, 2010, 11:37 AM   #22
billy001

Likes (Received): 0

I disagree with, you because it is harder for station employees to look-for wright door of the train. All that in the rush with a platform crowded with people and to properly position the lift, than with those that are already integrated on board the train. It is simpler that the conductor has the obligation to take care of that.

Last edited by billy001; March 28th, 2010 at 11:50 AM.
billy001 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2010, 09:09 AM   #23
K_

Likes (Received): 243

Quote:
I disagree with, you because it is harder for station employees to look-for wright door of the train.
That's rarely a problem, as they usually know where the person they are helping of is. On Swiss double decker IC trains they always put wheelchairs in the first class car right behind the engine, as this is the car that has the accessible toilet, and this is also the only car where the drinks trolley also serves the lower deck. People in wheelchairs deserve coffee too...
In any case, the help is always arranged in advance, and the person helping someone on board can always call ahead to the station where this person will alight.

Quote:
All that in the rush with a platform crowded with people and to properly position the lift, than with those that are already integrated on board the train. It is simpler that the conductor has the obligation to take care of that.
I have actually never encountered an on board lift, and I travel trains a lot. Searching the web you don't get many examples. I think they are rare for a reason. Don't forget you would need two lifts (one on each side) in a sufficient number of traincars. These also need to be quite reliable. The moving lifts they use at the stations however are quite simple, and rarely break down. And it's easy to have a few of them around at the bigger stations.
K_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2010, 10:14 AM   #24
billy001

Ok this is becoming a discussion about which solution is better. It is not bad at all but my primarily intention is to give as much as examples about how this problem is solved in different countries at this very moment (that had not yet implemented low floor trains). So that people can decide on they own, which is best for them. And also for disabled people who want to travel to see what to expect, examples such as Slovakia, Hungary, Belarus etc.

Last edited by billy001; March 30th, 2010 at 10:19 AM.
Old April 7th, 2010, 10:27 PM   #25
Qwert

Likes (Received): 2533

Quote:
I'm looking at beautiful pictures of Slovakia, and I noticed that they have this type of coaches and low platforms on the stations. How and did they deal with the problem that we are talking about in this thread?
Not every coach is barrier free (as the one posted by you), but there are coaches which have necessary equipment to deal with disabled persons.

These are the newest ones (Bdgmeer):

If you want to see it from more angles just tell me.

Older ones (BDsheer) look like this:

Qwert no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2010, 11:32 PM   #26
Bart_LCY
Arae et foci

Likes (Received): 820

Can you please stop spamming in almost EVERY railway thread?
Old April 8th, 2010, 10:48 AM   #27
billy001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bart_LCY View Post
Can you please stop spamming in almost EVERY railway thread?
I am very sorry about that My intention was not spamming, just no one is answering to this thread for an entire week. So I post only to certain countries to people visit this thread and only there where there is an obvious problem for disabled people to board the train according to images which I have seen that are already posted. So sorry again you just misapprehended me.

Last edited by billy001; April 8th, 2010 at 10:57 AM.
Old April 8th, 2010, 10:49 AM   #28
billy001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwert View Post
Not every coach is barrier free (as the one posted by you), but there are coaches which have necessary equipment to deal with disabled persons.

If you want to see it from more angles just tell me.

Great, thanks! Yes, it would be nice if you could post more images ( particularly when in use)
Old May 25th, 2010, 01:41 AM   #29
rheintram
yeah, whatever

Likes (Received): 924

I know that Austria's railjet trains have an internal wheelchair lift. Afaik it is located at one end of the train, where there are also accessible toilets. A nice touch is, that passengers in wheelchairs travel in first class, with a second class ticket.

Up till a few years ago, lifts such as the ones from France, were a common sight on most Austrian trainstations. These days they can be rarely seen and I wonder myself how wheelchairs are lifted into the long distance trains, which - unlike regional trains - are not wheelchair accessible.
rheintram no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2010, 12:59 PM   #30
rheintram
yeah, whatever

Likes (Received): 924

I found a video on youtube where you can see this wheelchair lift in action:

here's a photo:

source: http://www.bizeps.or.at/news.php?nr=9168
rheintram no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2010, 04:03 PM   #31
billy001

Thanks.
Old April 24th, 2011, 08:58 PM   #32
Gadiri

Likes (Received): 6979

Spain

Plan de accesibilidad universal de RENFE / RENFE ACCESSIBILITY PLAN FOR DISABLED

FBI Says 94% of Terrorist Attacks in the US Since 1980 Are by Non-Muslims

Gadiri no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2011, 03:18 AM   #33
Gadiri

Likes (Received): 6979

France

FBI Says 94% of Terrorist Attacks in the US Since 1980 Are by Non-Muslims

Gadiri no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2011, 10:54 PM   #34
krnboy1009

Likes (Received): 169

This is a fascinating topic, heights of platforms, low or high platforms.

In America, the height of platforms differs.

In Northeast Corridor, all the major stations are high level platforms, along with some midsized stations, while small stations are all low level platforms.

Outside of Northeast corridor only place where theres high level platform is the Metra Electric railline near Chicago, and parts of South Shore rail line.
krnboy1009 no está en línea   Reply With Quote