search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Manchester Metro Area

Manchester Metro Area For Manchester, Salford and the surrounding area.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 20th, 2010, 07:46 PM   #1
jrb
10th February 2008

Likes (Received): 28964

Found Space | 138/71m | 40/14 fl | Pro

Business Desk.

Renders below article.

DRAMATIC plans for the rear of Manchester Central, formerly G-Mex, have been revealed that will include a new tram interchange, three glass towers and a new public park in the sky.

There will also be a new glass bridge linking Deansgate station and improved pedestrian access from the tram stop into the heart of the city.

The masterplan has been developed by Ian Simpson architects and was revealed at the MIPIM international property conference in Cannes.

A fly through presentation showed a sleek new station with three tracks taking trams out to the airport and MediaCity as well as across Manchester, and the first floor park, looking south over the city.

The plan already has the backing of the Greater Manchester Passenger Transport Authority and the new station could be open by 2014 with funding likely to come from mix of public and private funding.

Ian Simpson said: "When you are looking down you can see that right now the goods yard behind Manchester Central is little more than a turning circle and storage base and it makes a massive barrier between Castlefield.

“The brief was to open up the area and by putting a lid on this storage yard you create an area which can be used for a new public park, a sheltered enclosed tram station and a range of new buildings that can be offices, a hotel and retail.

"It is about creating a new gateway from the south which will feed people directly from the airport into Manchester Central and the heart of the city which will work alongside Piccadilly and a new and improved Victoria to give three effective interchanges."

iamtheSTIG, atharii liked this post
jrb está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 20th, 2010, 07:52 PM   #2
man med
DJ MedZ

Likes (Received): 579

cheers jerb..looks good

https://soundcloud.com/deejay-medz
man med está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2010, 08:00 PM   #3
jrb
10th February 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by man med View Post
cheers jerb..looks good
Indeed it does Man Med. On the off chance you hadn't noticed.

Hallo Axis. Hallo other office blocks. That's some Welcome to Manchester Central. Oh! I forgot the 32 proposed 32 stroey hotel as well. It's certainly going to look special around there when everything is finished.

PS. Got a bit of news on AXIS AND Origin.(nothing exciting TBH) I'll post it later.
Old March 20th, 2010, 08:12 PM   #4
PeteVincent82
Shabba!

Likes (Received): 219

it looks awesome. i never realised how much space there was around/up there. would this stop any future expansion of the gmex at the back? or could it not have done anyway?
Old March 20th, 2010, 08:16 PM   #5
ferge
Like 'Berg'

Likes (Received): 830

I mentioned in the other thread this was mentioned in, about the presence of the Beetham office block in these 'glass towers' along with Axis and the Hotel on Whitworth st (I'm presuming??) Could it be that does indeed become a reality, or is it more to make the visuals look impressive for the bigwigs at the presentation?

It certainly is exciting and well, if even half of it comes to fruition, will be the most exciting entrance into the city centre IMO due to the amount of monumental structures surrounding you immediately, plus the added benefit of an elevated walkway - which I imagine will become lined with street entertainers and small stands etc, perhaps even an extension of the market stalls when they dot up over the rest of the city? A meeting point for friends, business folk who are heading to Manchester central etc.. so promising!

Also, Simpson did mention in his talk that the tower heights were indicative and it seemed he would be interested in pushing the heights if possible, it'd be great to have the one closer to Beetham remain at the height shown above (or GMT height), with the further away ones being of a similiar height (perhaps 30 storeys, on par with the Peter st hotel) to give some really good depth and height to the area but with some cohesion, not overcrowding the smaller builds or restricted views of the important city icons. The fact that you'll be looking down one of the city centre's key network arteries when departing the station towards the central will be a real boost. Visitors will get a slight peek down to St Peters Square and then beyond up into the retail area.

Cannot wait to see more on this masterplan
ferge no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2010, 08:29 PM   #6
jrb
10th February 2008

Ian Simpson explains about the proposal. Great flythrough showing the proposal.

Old March 23rd, 2010, 02:37 PM   #7
GanEden
BANNED

Likes (Received): 8

So its not high rise then? huh.
GanEden no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2010, 02:47 PM   #8
Isaac Newell

Likes (Received): 56

In those perspectives, they are both about as high as the Arndale Tower.
Isaac Newell no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2010, 07:59 PM   #9
jayo

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac Newell View Post
In those perspectives, they are both about as high as the Arndale Tower.
There not final by any means. Ian Simpson actually states that they could much higher and there being quite conservative with the massing models right towards the end of the video. So hopefully we can expect maybe two buildings Beetham height. Possibly 200 +? I doubt it but it would be great!
Old March 26th, 2010, 04:10 PM   #10
flange

Likes (Received): 2786

Official Video of the Sky Park

Is it me or does it look like Axis has lost its video wall.

Quote:
Sky park video unveiled

26 Mar 2010, 11:45

Marketing Manchester today released this new fly-through animation of the planned Metrolink station for Manchester Central.

The video clip shows a transformed area between the conference centre and the Hilton with new glass towers, which could contain offices, hotels and retail.

The enclosed tram station will link to a new walkway into the conference centre and could be operational by 2014, pending planning and funding.

Ian Simpson Architects produced the masterplan for the sky park.
http://www.placenorthwest.co.uk/news...-unveiled.html
flange está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2010, 04:43 PM   #11
Seasonedbest
BANNED

Likes (Received): 9

Thanks, I was waiting for this. I like everything on the video apart from the diamond shaped building next to the Beetham. Could this possibly be one of Ian Simpson's actual proposals as it has his signature cladding? It looks to squashed up to the tower.

Good news that its not a metrolink 'bay' platform for mediacity as previously thought.
Seasonedbest no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2010, 05:04 PM   #12
Radley

Likes (Received): 22

thanks for the link

i like it a lot. not sure why they've left the station so exposed to the elements. be wet and windy up there. part of sustainable natural ventilation plan?!

the camera man nearly takes the guy in the yellow t'shirt's head off!
Radley no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2010, 07:11 PM   #13
Seasonedbest
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radley View Post
thanks for the link

i like it a lot. not sure why they've left the station so exposed to the elements. be wet and windy up there. part of sustainable natural ventilation plan?!

the camera man nearly takes the guy in the yellow t'shirt's head off!
I'm not sure but the undercroft could be partially enclosed with glass on the Deansgate Locks side but its not easy to tell, a bit like the new Blackfriars station in London thats being built over the Thames.
Old March 27th, 2010, 03:37 AM   #14
MissLinda
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

Like it. What's in the gap in between the viaduct and the new walkway bit? Where the white pillar things are? I dont understand
MissLinda no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2010, 04:25 AM   #15
Seasonedbest
BANNED

The arches beneath are used as car parking for the conference centre and the Bridgewater Hall over the road (I think there is a tunnel under the road for access) If I'm not mistaken there is also a Hummer dealership beneath there, although it may be further down.
Old March 27th, 2010, 05:02 PM   #16
Green Squircle

Likes (Received): 29

Interesting video, but I wouldn't get too hung up about the design of the interchange or any of the surrounding buildings. The video looks very much conceptual to me.

For example the video shows a staircase and escalator from the Metrolink platforms to the sky park but no elevator. But I don't believe for one moment that wheelchair access from Metrolink to the park would be via bridge over Whitworth street to take a lift in Deansgate station to ground level, followed by a walk up up lower Mosley St to the GMEX end of the ramp.

Also I note the video does not show the Pillo Hotel on Whitworth Street West, which I fully expect to be up and running if/when the sky park sees light of day.
Green Squircle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2010, 09:34 PM   #17
Sir Miles Platting

Likes (Received): 8

All the yellow paint has faded off the trams an'all...
Sir Miles Platting no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2010, 05:03 PM   #18
Garibaldi773

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Squircle View Post
...The video looks very much conceptual to me.
They have also omitted to show the dayglo-frocked security guards that will no doubt be restricting access to this "so called" public space, as at Spinningfields and Piccadilly Place. Honestly, if they built that 200m ramp I would have to take-up skateboarding.

The problem is that I don't like it. Manchester Central Station is the jewel in the conference quarter development and this proposal restricts visibility with the walkway and associated Simpson cladding. It is also reminiscent of the 1960s futurama-thinking that brought us Piccadilly Plaza - cities in the sky anyone? It's like Jane Jacobs never happened...!

I also doubt that the sky walk would generate sufficient footfall to justify the investment. Perhaps the view is that providing this access will encourage more hotel companies to locate next to Beetham. At the moment though, I suspect that most Manchester Central users approach from the east not the west.

Surely the best way to serve Manchester Central via Metrolink is to have a new station on Lower Mosley Street (between St Peter's Square and G-Mex). In fact, if the Lower Mosley Street traffic could be re-rooted, you might be able to create a safe public space that spread across to Barbirolli Square. I would call this enlarged area Peterloo Square and put the proposed memorial in it. That would be original and modern, which is good, rather than post-modern, which is very bad.
Garibaldi773 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2010, 06:43 PM   #19
future.architect
Far East London

Likes (Received): 1933

PLEASE can we have more posters like Garibaldi?!
your posts are a joy to read and you talk so much sense, even when i dont agree with you. Makes a nice change from the scouse lies that pollute this place.
future.architect no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2010, 07:28 PM   #20
Cherguevara

Likes (Received): 3420

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garibaldi773 View Post
They have also omitted to show the dayglo-frocked security guards that will no doubt be restricting access to this "so called" public space, as at Spinningfields and Piccadilly Place. Honestly, if they built that 200m ramp I would have to take-up skateboarding.

The problem is that I don't like it. Manchester Central Station is the jewel in the conference quarter development and this proposal restricts visibility with the walkway and associated Simpson cladding. It is also reminiscent of the 1960s futurama-thinking that brought us Piccadilly Plaza - cities in the sky anyone? It's like Jane Jacobs never happened...!

I also doubt that the sky walk would generate sufficient footfall to justify the investment. Perhaps the view is that providing this access will encourage more hotel companies to locate next to Beetham. At the moment though, I suspect that most Manchester Central users approach from the east not the west.

Surely the best way to serve Manchester Central via Metrolink is to have a new station on Lower Mosley Street (between St Peter's Square and G-Mex). In fact, if the Lower Mosley Street traffic could be re-rooted, you might be able to create a safe public space that spread across to Barbirolli Square. I would call this enlarged area Peterloo Square and put the proposed memorial in it. That would be original and modern, which is good, rather than post-modern, which is very bad.
While I'm not convinced the restricting visibility is a particular problem (surely that's just what buildings do) I too am a bit concerned about how the towers, the park and the street are going to relate to one another. Are the towers going to be accessed from the park or the street, or from both? If they don't open onto the park then it's going to become an abandoned and intimidating space, but if they don't open onto Great Bridgewater Street then they're going to be cut off from the rest of the city. To be honest I think a square is a better bet than a park, but if it's a well used and overlooked space then it should work.

The only part of the scheme I really don't like is the skywalk itself. I can see why it's useful in terms of opening up the area for development, but if they've got to expand the Metrolnk viaduct anyway why don't they attach one well designed structure (for trams and pedestrians) to the side of the G-Mex rather than two ill-fitting ones?
Cherguevara no está en línea   Reply With Quote