daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > City/Metro Compilations

City/Metro Compilations Help report active highrise/urban developments occurring in your city to the global SSC community.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 6th, 2012, 09:38 PM   #101
Minsk

Likes (Received): 1787

ALA complete their first major commission, Kilden, a performing arts centre in Norway

ALA is a Helsinki-based architecture firm seeking fresh angles, flowing forms and surprising solutions on all levels of architecture.

The firm challenge themselves to provide alternatives, develop prototypes and look for innovations. They believe in creating beauty with a design approach which combines the intuitive with the analytic and the practical with the extravagant.

ALA currently employ over 20 people in Finland and Norway, with projects ranging from underground stations to housing areas, high-rise developments and culture venues.

The team have just completed their first major commission: Kilden, a performing arts centre in Kristiansand, Norway. The 15 000 m2 complex consists of a 1200-seat concert hall with symphonic acoustics, a 700-seat theatre & opera hall, smaller halls for experimental productions, and full support and public facilities. The project has been designed in collaboration with SMS Architects from Kristiansand.

The project has transformed the cultural life and the identity of the city of Kristiansand. The seductive, curving wooden wall wraps the different auditoriums into one distinctive shape which separates the reality of the public space from the fantasy of the theatre and concert worlds. The grand gesture opens the building for all the local citizens, generating both a landmark and a living room for the general public.

Kilden was opened in January 2012 and is performing with full force. The project is a result of an open design competition held in 2004-2005.

http://www.worldarchitecturenews.com...pload_id=19191
Minsk no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 8th, 2012, 12:52 AM   #102
Galro
Humanity through Urbanity

Likes (Received): 9785

---

Last edited by Galro; July 13th, 2012 at 02:55 PM.
Galro no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2012, 09:27 AM   #103
ganghui
BANNED

Likes (Received): 19

A high school that close to water? Interesting, indeed interesting... I hope those kids will have some discipline, they're gonna need it.
ganghui no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2012, 09:04 PM   #104
Galro

Not sure I understand what you mean. Is it a common problem that high school students are drowning elsewhere? I would personally have loved to have such a nice location when I went to high school.
Old March 9th, 2012, 04:26 PM   #105
Galro

---

Old March 13th, 2012, 02:16 PM   #106
Galro

---

Old March 13th, 2012, 04:09 PM   #107
Bannor

Likes (Received): 107

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganghui View Post
A high school that close to water? Interesting, indeed interesting... I hope those kids will have some discipline, they're gonna need it.
This reminds me of this english documentary I saw about norwegian kindergardens. In England they hardly ever let the kids go outside to play out of fear that they will get injured or kidnapped, and they don't dress up in warm enough clothes even though it is 0 degrees outside. In Norway the amount of clothes the kids use is alot higher, and the clothes are warmer. We know how to dress properly, and have extras with us in case we get wet. Kids climb for example in trees 10 meters high (I know I did all the time) and the result is that the motorskills of the kids playing in the wilds are far higher than among the english kids. Later in life this leads to fewer self inflicted injuries. I can imagine Shanghai have some of the same problems as they have in England. Parents being overly careful about their kids. Partly because they are all lone children, and partly because there is no "wilds" nearby.

When it comes to swimming, that never was a problem when I grew up in Bergen. Most kids were good swimmers. I hope they still are although kids nowadays are more lazy, and a larger amount is overweight. Overweightness is just another result of overcarefulness.
Bannor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2012, 04:57 PM   #108
Galro

---

Old March 14th, 2012, 11:22 PM   #109
Minsk

Reiulf Ramstad Architects looks to set new benchmark for kindergarten architecture with compelling wooden angular form

Kindergartens are all too often made up by a basic or random and often very poor architectural design. The Fagerborg Project did not want to be a part of this trend but rather give the kindergarten an important priority in order to develop a building with a stimulating environment for the next generation. In nature, top seeds need the best soil for the best growth conditions to flourish. This is the same for humans.

Children are the citizens of tomorrow and the resources of the future, so it is important that this group have stimulating and developing physical limits in their everyday sphere. Therefore, the objective of the program- agreed upon by both the client and the architect - was to create a nursery that would have a rich architectural register and become a house of character to encourage the development of character - a meaningful architectural framework for children's important first phase of the formation and development of the childs experience outside the family.

The kindergarten offers 2 units for children between 1-3 years old and 2 units for children between 3-6 years old. With its location in the middle of a small city park, the kindergarten has an outdoor area that is protected like an enclosed garden. The planning solution enables the 4 kindergarten units to function both independently and together as required. All units share a common area and a kitchen in the heart of the building. Administration is placed on the upper floor separate from children areas.

http://www.worldarchitecturenews.com...pload_id=19282
Old March 14th, 2012, 11:47 PM   #110
Galro

---

Old March 15th, 2012, 12:34 AM   #111
Minsk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galro View Post
Thanks for at you take time to update this tread every once in a while, but that's a rather old project actually and I'm not completely sure why the World Architectural News site feels the need to post it now. Here are nevertheless two more down to earth pictures of it, which are closer to how it appear in reality.
You are welcome It's big pleasure to make updates in this tread, because this one is one of the my favouriest in this forum. Thanks for the quality of the architecture!
Old March 15th, 2012, 05:25 PM   #112
Galro

---

Old March 20th, 2012, 11:37 AM   #113
Futtock

Likes (Received): 2

Good God that's sexy
Futtock no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2012, 08:28 PM   #114
LCIII

Likes (Received): 2713

I came into this thread expecting high design and wow was I not disappointed! LOVE these projects!!
LCIII no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2012, 12:57 AM   #115
Amrafel
Bratislava YIMBY

Likes (Received): 5020

The level of norwegian architecture is awesome. I am out of words

BRATISLAVA YIMBY.
Amrafel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2012, 01:52 AM   #116
Galro

Thanks for the nice comments! Sadly not every Norwegian projects have the curves and the designs similar to one above though.
Old March 21st, 2012, 02:18 AM   #117
Galro

---

Last edited by Galro; July 13th, 2012 at 02:56 PM.
Old March 21st, 2012, 02:30 AM   #118
Myster E

Likes (Received): 73

I've said it before and i can't resist saying it again, but damn, Norway is on a roll! And if that building in Oslo above were in the UK, it would have been replaced with some nondescript student accommodation that would have no relation to the surroundings, simplified it may be but some of it's character is still maintained.
Myster E no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2012, 02:50 AM   #119
Galro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myster E View Post
I've said it before and i can't resist saying it again, but damn, Norway is on a roll!
Thanks! You should come and see it in real life ... (unless our high prices and remote geographical location scares you away of course ...)
Quote:
And if that building in Oslo above were in the UK, it would have been replaced with some nondescript student accommodation that would have no relation to the surroundings,
Sadly Oslo and Norway in general have lost incredible amount of nice looking 19th century buildings that way. And we are still losing buildings now and then simply because most people are ignorant to how these once looked prior to the simplifyings.
Quote:
simplified it may be but some of it's character is still maintained.
And we hope we can bring back all the character now! And hopefully this will happen with other buildings that have suffered a similar fate ... Which there sadly are many of all around the country.

Last edited by Galro; March 21st, 2012 at 03:04 AM.
Old March 21st, 2012, 03:38 AM   #120
Singidunum
Grad Oblakodera

Likes (Received): 16042

Who decided to bring back the old facade? Was it the result of that public initiative to bring back the old facades? Who is financing the project?

Potpišite peticiju protiv rušenja Generalštaba!
Singidunum no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
bergen, norway, oslo, sandnes, stavanger, tromsř, trondheim