daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: Which is the busiest Freeway
401-Toronto 170 57.43%
Santa Monica Freeway-LA 96 32.43%
Southwest Freeway-Houston 14 4.73%
I-85-Atlanta 16 5.41%
Voters: 296. You may not vote on this poll

Old June 14th, 2006, 09:16 PM   #201
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

U must've put a lot of effort in this, thanks! IMHO Madrid's got (or has always had, I don't know) the best freeway/motorway network in Europe!

Last edited by Verso; June 16th, 2006 at 12:20 AM.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 14th, 2006, 10:39 PM   #202
torke

Likes (Received): 17

Madrid first round ring (M-30) of its 4 ones (M-30, M-40, M-45 and M-50) carries 330.000 car/day.
M-30 is 30km long, the highest density of cars/day is in the east side and it was built in the late sixties.
Now a days M-30 is changing completely, is being rebuilt to improve those areas of Madrid near the freeway, especially the west side, close to the Manzanares river, the total costs of the works are 1.080.203.173 euros. Most of the highway will be a tunnel and its capacity will be extended. The east, north and south sides, will be completely in tunnel. When finished, by spring of 2007, 100.000 more cars/day will be able to use it.

Sketch map of old M-30 and M-40:

M-30 east, looking north, cars into south close to exit number 5 (A-2), 14 lanes:

M-30 east, looking south, cars into north close to exit number 5 (A-2), 14 lanes:

M-30 east, looking north, cars into north in the right and into south in the left, close to exit number 8 (close to A-3 exit), 19 lanes:

Last edited by torke; June 15th, 2006 at 11:45 AM.
torke no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2006, 10:40 PM   #203
coth
pride leader

Likes (Received): 6989

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso
U must've put a lot of effort in this, thanks! IMHO Madrid's got (or has always had, I don't know) the best freeway/motorway system in Europe!
well, i think moscow can easy dispute this statement.
Old June 14th, 2006, 11:03 PM   #204
eomer
Bring Constantinople back

Likes (Received): 4726

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected]
A4/A86 crossing Seine river near Paris:
ARGH !!!
This is MARNE river and not SEINE !!!
A l'aube du cinquième jour, regardez vers l'est
eomer está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2006, 11:10 PM   #205
torke

Likes (Received): 17

Really?! Could u show it to us? I do not know much about Moscow and I'll like to improve my knowledge about it. I really thought there were not much money in Russia to build that much km of freeways of this kind. TELL US PLEASE, I am really interested in.
torke no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2006, 11:21 PM   #206
Accura4Matalan

Likes (Received): 1564

Quote:
Originally Posted by coth
well, i think moscow can easy dispute this statement.
Please show. From what I can see, Madrid takes this by a long shot. Could rival Toronto!
Accura4Matalan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2006, 11:55 PM   #207
Accura4Matalan

Likes (Received): 1564

Manchester is also a city with its motorway network on the rise:

M60 Manchester Ringroad.... recently widened

M56 (only so quiet because it was closed at the time)

M62

M61

M67 (running horizontally across picture)

Mancunian Way... an elevated motorway going through the city centre.
Accura4Matalan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2006, 12:13 AM   #208
coth
pride leader

Russia is big country and is federation with many independent economies and which entire economy jumped in 3 times in last 5 years. Some parts of Russia are developed, some are developing and rural usually undeveloped. So what you heard about Russian then isn't close to realities. Moscow budget for example is $20,5bln.

As of roads you can check google maps. You can see there new MKAD, partially built 3TR (photos are from about 2003, so there is no western part with tunnels). Also you can see radial highways.
http://maps.google.com/?q=moscow&ie=...05464&t=h&om=1

Currently Moscow upgrading several radial highways and building Kranopresnenskiy Prospekt freeway. It's called avenue, but de-facto 14km freeway that will connect historical center with MKAD. Several photos and maps could be found here. Right blue and green parts are completed now. Red is tunnel and bridge currently under construction and left blue will be built to completiong of red part. It's in Russian but i think it's not problem to click on labels on map and then on photos and links to pages with photos (marked with >>)
http://www.roads.ru/kp/
several photos of red part could be found here
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=109884

this year begin construction of next 4th transport ring 61km freeway
greed will follow current streets that will be rebuild into freeway. red is new part and black are tunnels.
http://www.roads.ru/4tk/4tk_rbk.php
Old June 15th, 2006, 12:45 AM   #209
coth
pride leader

some photos of moscow freeways/highways

Old June 15th, 2006, 01:12 AM   #210
Nephasto
Enlightened user

Likes (Received): 71

coth, don't you have any maps to clear it up?

For example a map showing the location of the MKAD (that's the most outer ring, with a bit more than 100 km in extension, right?), and all other ring roads.
Old June 15th, 2006, 01:15 AM   #211
Nephasto
Enlightened user

Could you also put some ID on the pictures, if possible?

For comparising purpouses, the MKAD, would be equivalent to Madrid's M50(will have about 110 km or so) when completelly closed. This new 60 km ring would be the Moscow equivalent to M40(about 60km).
Old June 15th, 2006, 01:55 AM   #212
coth
pride leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nephasto
coth, don't you have any maps to clear it up?

For example a map showing the location of the MKAD (that's the most outer ring, with a bit more than 100 km in extension, right?), and all other ring roads.
map is on google. i posted link above.
Old June 15th, 2006, 02:23 AM   #213
Nephasto
Enlightened user

^Yes, I can see the map on google... but for the moscow area, the road maps on google are quite bad... I mean, alll the roads have the same colour and only a few are in the map... Not like in other european countries or US where you can see the freeways on blue, etc... So it's a bit confusing.

The outer ring is MKAD... A 110km long ring freeway.

Then there's the most inner ring (about 15km long) which by looking in google earth I see it's an avenue and not an expressway(I would consider it a fast avenue... independent from other streets in some stretches). (was that the one you were refering saying it was limited to 60km/h but that people drive on at at 80/100?)

Then there's the ring between these 2 there is another ring, which I guess is a freeway, and must be about 30 km. Is it all completed?
Old June 15th, 2006, 02:49 AM   #214
coth
pride leader

yellow roads on map with шоссе or проспект in names are highways. all of them from soviet time. some, like varshavskoye shosse, prospekt mira/yaroslavskoye shosse, kutuzovskiy prospekt and several other was very well upgraded.

this photo is crossing of leninskiy and vernadskogo prospekts
http://foto-moscow.ru/img/fl327487672.jpg

this one is leningradskoye shosse
http://foto-moscow.ru/img/fl1044199303.jpg

this is vernadskogo prospekt enter city center
http://www.ethaniel.com/gallery_show...w/135_3583.jpg

as i know leningradskiy prospekt is currently under upgrade.

Last edited by coth; June 15th, 2006 at 02:59 AM.
coth no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2006, 02:58 AM   #215
Verso
Islander

Quote:
^Yes, I can see the map on google... but for the moscow area, the road maps on google are quite bad... I mean, alll the roads have the same colour and only a few are in the map... Not like in other european countries or US where you can see the freeways on blue, etc... So it's a bit confusing.
Man, u definitely need this: www.map24.com! It will clear you up what Google Earth doesn't.

Quote:
Then there's the most inner ring (about 15km long) which by looking in google earth I see it's an avenue and not an expressway(I would consider it a fast avenue... independent from other streets in some stretches). (was that the one you were refering saying it was limited to 60km/h but that people drive on at at 80/100?)
I'm pretty sure this 15-km ring's not what 'coth' was talking about. From what I could see on Google Earth it's an 'ordinary' road with level-crossings (wide though). I may be wrong of course. To clear it up, read below.

Quote:
Then there's the ring between these 2 there is another ring, which I guess is a freeway, and must be about 30 km. Is it all completed?
I think this one's what 'coth' was talking about!

'coth', correct me if I'm wrong!

Last edited by Verso; June 15th, 2006 at 03:44 AM.
Old June 15th, 2006, 03:04 AM   #216
coth
pride leader

the one small is garden ring. at least 10 lanes. actually could be considered highway as well. there are just few traffic lights, mostly does not affect traffic, like one near me in crossing with tram line. green for tram turn on every 10-15min in peak hour.
Old June 15th, 2006, 03:09 AM   #217
Verso
Islander

Quote:
officially it's just a street, but de-facto powerful freeway with several exclusions.
diameter of circle is very small - just 10km, therefore there are several turns with high degree. speed is officially limited by 60 kmph, but most of drivers moving on 80-100 kmph.
TTK have 200 thous cars per day in average.
Thanks for that one!

Btw, the 4th ring?!
From the pic I can't really figure out where it's gonna be located, inside the 3rd ring or outside of it. Answer, please!

And as for the Moscow - Madrid battle from this point I'd say that Madrid still whoops Europe's ass , but god knows what happens when all the Moscow projects are finished. We'll see...
Old June 15th, 2006, 03:18 AM   #218
coth
pride leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso
Thanks for that one!

Btw, the 4th ring?!
From the pic I can't really figure out where it's gonna be located, inside the 3rd ring or outside of it. Answer, please!

And as for the Moscow - Madrid battle from this point I'd say that Madrid still whoops Europe's ass , but god knows what happens when all the Moscow projects are finished. We'll see...
it will be between 3rd and MKAD.

and i would say not. moscow within city limits has tones of radial highways, 2 ring freeways and one ring highway.
Old June 15th, 2006, 03:43 AM   #219
Verso
Islander

Quote:
it will be between 3rd and MKAD.
Ok, yeah, what a dumb question actually, since it's the 4th ring-road, it's (pretty) obvious that it's gonna be outside of the 3rd one!

Quote:
and i would say not. moscow within city limits has tones of radial highways, 2 ring freeways and one ring highway.
Yeah well, but every city's got tons of wide roads, it's the motorway/freeway network we're talking about. I'm sure many cities even have a lot of wide-road-rings (I know, it's not in dictionary ), but not so many have motorway/freeway rings. And a city like Moscow would need more than one (I think only MKAD counts here for now; it's actually a fast road/expressway with 100 km/h, but ok, doesn't matter). And from what I've seen on Google Earth it has some huge traffic jams despite its 8 - 10 lanes (the pic could be taken at some special time though). Madrid on the other hand's got... shit I don't know how many, but at least 3 or 4 freeway rings (or at least bypasses which almost create circles; I know there's at least 1 true ring) and I think all can count especially since the very inner one has the most lanes, as I understood it.

Last edited by Verso; June 15th, 2006 at 11:58 PM.
Old June 15th, 2006, 04:04 AM   #220
Nephasto
Enlightened user

www.viamichelin.com <-- Undoubtedly the best road map for central/western europe there is-

Map of Madrid in a 1cm=10km scale

Map of Madrid in a 1cm=4km scale

As you can see, there is a bit of the northern part of the M-30 (the inner freeway ring) that it's just a dual carrigeway (an avenue with 2 roundabouts). But a freeway bypass (bypass norte) to that will be built probably between 2007 and 2011 or so, so it will be all freeway.
The section which has the river runnning in the middle is freeway too, although it may not look like that in the map.

M-40 is the next ring (a full ring, although not very circular).

M-45 is south of the M-40 (between the M-40 and the M-50) and is just a bit of a ring.

And the M-50 is the outer ring, which is not completed in the north. But there are plans to close it... the problem is that a 10 km tunnel with have to be done under the "Monte del Prado"... and for ecological reasons, probably there won't be allowed any ventillacion shafts (to not do any damage to the mountain), so it will be tricky. But will probably be done in the next few years.... there are already projects.