daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: Which is the busiest Freeway
401-Toronto 170 57.43%
Santa Monica Freeway-LA 96 32.43%
Southwest Freeway-Houston 14 4.73%
I-85-Atlanta 16 5.41%
Voters: 296. You may not vote on this poll

Old February 20th, 2007, 01:39 AM   #301
and-r

Likes (Received): 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by yayoo View Post
Around 1,2 million vehicles a day for the awful ringroad of Paris (périphérique)
yup and londons m25 is second busiest. theres some interesting info on the bbc website about it:

M25 - Dartford to Purfleet - The London Orbital Motorway
The M25 has had more jokes told about it than any other road in the country. It has been described as the world's largest car park, and it is said that both 'The Road to Nowhere' and 'The Road to Hell' by Chris Rea are about the road. The author Terry Pratchett has gone as far as to suggest that the M25 is the best evidence for the existence of Satan.

The M25 starts south of the A282 Dartford River Crossing and travels for 117 miles before reaching the north end of the A282 in Essex. Since it does not quite make a complete circle it holds the record as the longest bypass in the world. Construction started in 1975, and was finished 11 years later. The M25 is the only one of five proposed concentric ring roads suggested in the Abercrombie plan of 1945 to have been built around the capital. Later plans were made for two motorways, the M25 and the M15. The M15 was never fully built but its route is roughly that of the A406 North Circular and A205 South Circular.

The M25 is infamous for being continually widened to take account of ever-increasing traffic. It is the second busiest motorway in Europe after the Peripherique in Paris, and some sections are planned to be ten lanes wide. The section between the M4 and the A3313 is in the Guinness Book of Records as the busiest section of motorway in Britain.
and-r no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 21st, 2007, 12:11 AM   #302
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bori427 View Post
Freeway 18 in San Juan,Puerto Rico-about 300,000 vehicles daily
And Puerto Rico is in Europe...
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2007, 12:58 AM   #303
Rohne
Schwarzkutte

Likes (Received): 361

Quote:
Originally Posted by erbsenzaehler View Post
Where do you all got these facts from? Would like to post statistics like that from german motorways (that should be the busiest in Europe)
Surely not. But here you have the requested statistics...
Highest AADT on german autobahnen (numbers from 2000):

A100 Berlin (AD Funkturm - Kurfürstendamm) 174400
A3 near Köln/Cologne ~ 160000
A3 near Frankfurt (Frankfurt Süd - Offenbacher Kreuz) 155000
A5 Frankfurt ~150000
A9 near München/Munich 130000
A8 near Stuttgart 130000 (in 2005 already up to more than 140000)
further information: sections with 100000+ AADT.
I`ve made an AADT-map more than a year ago, with the official statistics for the year 2000. As soon as i have the numbers for 2005 (should be released this year), i will update the map. You can find this map here.

Busier sections than these can be found in UK, NL, Peripherique around Paris, MKAD around Moscow, and maybe in Italy near Milano, or Spain (especially Madrid).
Concerning the busiest motorways in Europe, my tip is on the MKAD, the Peripherique, any section of the M25 around London or the A16 in the Netherlands.
Rohne no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2007, 04:52 PM   #304
Rohne
Schwarzkutte

And now i've finished...
The AADT map for 2005 can be found here (pdf, 2.6MB).
And here is the legend (pdf, 780KB).
Old March 20th, 2007, 08:13 PM   #305
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19389

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohne View Post
And now i've finished...
The AADT map for 2005 can be found here (pdf, 2.6MB).
And here is the legend (pdf, 780KB).
Interesting!

Are there any excelsheets or so with tables with the exact amounts?
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2007, 11:36 PM   #306
Rohne
Schwarzkutte

yes. look here.
pdfs for autobahns and federal highways.
Old March 23rd, 2007, 05:47 PM   #307
Bernhard1

Likes (Received): 0

Autobahn A23 (Südost-Tangente), Vienna, Austria. About 220.000/Day.

http://www.wabweb.net/verkehr/bilder/a23bild.htm
Bernhard1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2007, 06:13 PM   #308
jorgen
Viking

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by and-r View Post
M25: Since it does not quite make a complete circle it holds the record as the longest bypass in the world.
Hehe, that's a really funny fact

I've done most of the M25, both by car and MC. I really hate driving it, but it has that special feeling. I've never driven it during busy hours though.
jorgen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2007, 04:47 AM   #309
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Likes (Received): 767

If Wikipedia IT says the truth...

Quote:
E' l'autostrada più trafficata d'Italia se si considera il rapporto giornaliero veicoli/km[citazione necessaria]. Il traffico raggiunge le intensità più critiche nei pressi dei caselli di svincolo per le città. Il tratto con maggiore problematiche per la circolazione è quello che unisce tra loro le zone fortemente industrializzate ed urbanizzate della Lombardia. Considerando il rapporto veicoli/km, il tratto Milano - Bergamo è l'autostrada più trafficata d'Europa[citazione necessaria]
http://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autostrada_A4

Which is:
The A4 between Turin and Trieste is the busiest Italian highway, considering the vehicles per km ratio [MISSING QUOTATION].
Traffic becomes critical around the main urban areas. The most critical segment is the one linking the most urbanized and industrialized areas of the Lombardy region.
Considering the v.p.km ratio, the Milan-Bergamo segment is the busiest in Europe [MISSING QUOTATION again]

Unluckily Wikipedia does not give us any actual vpk data, so we should take this as it comes.
Knowing that part of the A4, I might say that this may be true: since that region is pure Milan metropolitan area and isn't served well by railway local transport, there is always a huge quantity of vehicles getting inside and outside of Milan.
Queues come as the standard for that segment of autostrada, as well as accidents, due to the heavy truck traffic and aged infrastructures.
That's why the 4th traffic lane is being built, as well as a new motorway is being designed between Brescia and Milan, just to let the east-west traffic bypass Bergamo.

Marchionne means never having to say you're sorry.

Due to Photobucket f*cking up, most images won't be visibile in my old posts. If you need anything specific, please write me.
Wilhem275 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2007, 05:03 AM   #310
Verso
Islander

Yeah, this part of the A4 is pretty crazy! Btw, wasn't the new Brescia - Milan motorway supposed to be finished last year?
Old April 5th, 2007, 05:34 AM   #311
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Hey pal, we're talking about Italy! They haven't even decided to build it or not!

Actually, maybe you're talking about the 4th lane along the full path Milan-BG, which is about to be completed, and many segments are yet operational, even from last year.
But the new "BreBeMi" is still far from being built... and that region has a desperate need for it!

Due to Photobucket f*cking up, most images won't be visibile in my old posts. If you need anything specific, please write me.
Old April 5th, 2007, 05:39 AM   #312
Verso
Islander

Unfortunately I was talking about BreBeMi.
Old April 5th, 2007, 11:47 AM   #313
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
Considering the v.p.km ratio, the Milan-Bergamo segment is the busiest in Europe
I don't think so. How wide is that stretch? We're talking here about 300.000 - 350.000 at least to have the busiest motorway. You'll need at least some 20 lanes to handle that kind of traffic.
Old April 5th, 2007, 02:02 PM   #314
ChrisZwolle
Road user

i made a wrong calculation, by 350.000 cars you'll need 16 - 18 lanes (2x8 or 2x9).
Old April 5th, 2007, 02:21 PM   #315
TohrAlkimista

Likes (Received): 918

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris1491 View Post
I don't think so. How wide is that stretch? We're talking here about 300.000 - 350.000 at least to have the busiest motorway. You'll need at least some 20 lanes to handle that kind of traffic.
you really don't know the ABSURD SITUATION of this motorway...is the HELL!
TohrAlkimista no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2007, 02:23 PM   #316
Wilhem275
The Transporter

That stretch is about 37 km long... from Milan's entrance to Bergamo's exit.
It had 3 lanes, often without emergency lane, and with very short entrance and exit ramps.

I really don't know if it is the busiest (and personally I doubt it) but it may be easily the most congestionated.
Theorically if an high vpk ratio (which determines the "business" of a road) is handled with proper infrastructures, that road will still not be congestionated.

Anyway, it is not unusual, if you drive from Milan to Bergamo in Sunday evenings, to see the upcoming traffic completely queued along the full path of the BG-MI, and sometimes the queue begins even berfore BG.
I really don't know if this makes the A4 MI-BG the busiest in EU, but believe me, this is a worrying situation

Old April 5th, 2007, 03:07 PM   #317
ChrisZwolle
Road user

3 lanes can NEVER handle 350.000 vehicles a day.

If you count all the capacity of all lanes, you can get some 300.000 a day with continuous traffic jams for 24 hrs, but this is highly unlikely since there are rushhours and nighthours.

The busiest 2x3 road in the Netherlands is the A20 near Rotterdam with some 180.000 vehicles a day, and it is jammed most of the day.

And Bergamo is a town of 117.000 inhabitants, and this makes it highly unlikely to generate so much traffic.

i found this quote on autostrade.it:

Quote:
L'opera consiste nell'ampliamento da tre a quattro corsie più emergenza dei 35 km dell'autostrada A4 compresa tra Milano Est e Bergamo e permetterà di migliorare la fluidità e il livello di sicurezza del tratto che è percorso ogni giorno da un volume di traffico molto elevato con picchi di 140.000 veicoli giorno e punte di 40.000 camion e pullman.
I don't speak Italian at all, but the last line says it has 140.000 vehicles a day, and 40.000 trucks a day i think?

That would make 140.000 or 180.000, and you can say it is very busy, but far from being Europe's busiest.
Old April 5th, 2007, 03:54 PM   #318
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Yep, and they say these are peak data. I agree with you, I just quoted Wikipedia but the missing quotations should make us think about the truth in that article
A Wikipedia article without quotations should always generate suspect

Anyway it may be the most congestionated motorway segment.
The city of Bergamo counts 117.000 inhab. but the area between BG and Milan is a dense metropolitan area, which adducts traffic on the A4 toward Milan.
And we should also count the standard traffic along the Turin-Venice-Trieste path.

I might say that the worst problem of our motorways is the excess of truck traffic

Old April 6th, 2007, 08:43 AM   #319
Minato ku

A 2x4 lanes can handle 300,000 cars per day . It is the case in the busiest section of the Peripherique and the average is 220,000 cars per day.

I know in Paris some very busy boulevard. : Avenue Charles de Gauche handle around 160,000 ~ 200,000 cars per day and it is not an expressway
Old May 13th, 2007, 06:26 PM   #320
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 10970

The 401 is the busiest according to many different sources, and by quite a large margin. The expansion to 23 lanes of that large highway in Atlanta, USA might rival Toronto's 401 in the future. They've been interested in widening the 401, but have run out of room to do so. It is currently 18 lanes not including ramps.

Adding 6 lanes in each direction would probably solve the 401's congestion issues for the next 30 years, but this would entail demolishing large sections of suburb to widen the highway. This is not likely to happen.
isaidso no está en línea   Reply With Quote