daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: Which is the busiest Freeway
401-Toronto 170 57.43%
Santa Monica Freeway-LA 96 32.43%
Southwest Freeway-Houston 14 4.73%
I-85-Atlanta 16 5.41%
Voters: 296. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 20th, 2007, 09:35 PM   #341
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19400

I-35 in Atlanta? (poll)
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 21st, 2007, 03:53 AM   #342
Bartolo

Likes (Received): 1

like I said when i started it 2 years ago, i made a typo
Bartolo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2007, 08:22 AM   #343
mgk920
Nonhyphenated-American

Likes (Received): 68

For a while, the Dan Ryan Expressway (I-90/94) south of I-55 (Stevenson Expressway) in Chicago was considered to be the World's busiest road. A big chunk is 14 lanes (3-4-4-3 local-express lane arrangement).

I think that ON 401 is #1 now.

Mike
mgk920 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2007, 08:45 AM   #344
ACT7

Likes (Received): 77

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgk920 View Post
For a while, the Dan Ryan Expressway (I-90/94) south of I-55 (Stevenson Expressway) in Chicago was considered to be the World's busiest road. A big chunk is 14 lanes (3-4-4-3 local-express lane arrangement).

I think that ON 401 is #1 now.

Mike
The AADT on the 401 in Toronto is something like 500,000 cars. It well exceeds any other freeway in the world. It's also the longest stretch of 10 plus lanes in the world. There's really not much arguement about these facts, but I will say that a good chunk of the reason for the ungodly traffic on the 401 is because it is part of the busiest trade corrider on the continent and therefore the busiest truck route. So even though Atlanta may be building a wider highway, it's unlikely that the volume will surpass the 401's.
ACT7 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2007, 09:14 AM   #345
mgk920
Nonhyphenated-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACT7 View Post
The AADT on the 401 in Toronto is something like 500,000 cars. It well exceeds any other freeway in the world. It's also the longest stretch of 10 plus lanes in the world. There's really not much arguement about these facts, but I will say that a good chunk of the reason for the ungodly traffic on the 401 is because it is part of the busiest trade corrider on the continent and therefore the busiest truck route. So even though Atlanta may be building a wider highway, it's unlikely that the volume will surpass the 401's.
I have thought and commented in other forvms that the reason why ON 401 is so unbelievably busy is that the freeway that was proposed to be built in the Eglinton Av corridor wasn't built where it was planned. BUT, yes, it was built - straddling the original ON 401.

Mike
Old May 21st, 2007, 12:38 PM   #346
ChrisZwolle
Road user

500.000 AADT needs for like 23 lanes in total.
Old May 21st, 2007, 03:50 PM   #347
KIWIKAAS

Likes (Received): 752

Why?
An 8 lane freeway (4-4) can handle 200000 vpd . Why would you need 23 lanes for 2˝ times that? You're probably basing it on the ideal ''rule of thumb'' for the number of vehicles per lane per day.
KIWIKAAS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2007, 05:01 PM   #348
ChrisZwolle
Road user

It can handle it, but not without heavy traffic jams. For a good freeflow, you need such a number of lanes.

I see you're from NL, look at the A2 it has 160.000 - 180.000 vehicles a day between Utrecht and Amsterdam and it's being widened to 2x5 lanes.
Old May 23rd, 2007, 02:34 PM   #349
Gaeus
500-Internal Server Error

Likes (Received): 87

Quote:
Originally Posted by jess19 View Post
This is about the busiest freeway, not the busiest interchange. And what are you basing LA's "advanced" freeway system on?
Oh Yes! I know I would get this typical reply. I would answer to your question if thats what you want.

Greater LA Freeway, when it was built in 1950s, was the most advance freeway system in the world. It is unique for its class because nowhere in America or in the world can build something like it back then. In 1960s, it dominated again by expanding it more and by creating more advance freeways linking each other to create vast networks of arteries to accommodate the rising numbers of vehicles in the area and the growing LA Port, which is even now the biggest in US and one of the biggest in the world. The growing numbers of vehicles cost major traffics in the 1970s and that resulted to construction of the biggest freeway intersections in the entire world. However, the growing number of vehicles in the 1980s and 1990s can't stop the heaviest traffic in US (besides New York) and CalTran realized that Infrastructure project alone can't minimize it. So they found a way to combat those traffics by using a an Intelligent Computerized Network Traffic Flow System that would monitor the traffic and distribute the ease the flow of traffic of the main roads, main highway systems and interstate highway systems of Greater LA. Again, the first of its kind in the world.

Again, to those people who are bashing LA or United States for the inadequate road system, please focus again on what we have done and what we improvised to be one of the pioneers of the Road Freeway System besides Germany's Autobahn. Our Interstate Highway System were so successful in the 1950s that other countries followed it and highway engineers around the world used it as their model. However, you can't allow to ease the minds of American Haters out there.
Gaeus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2007, 05:23 PM   #350
ChrisZwolle
Road user

The Southern California highway system rocks. But it is sad that in a rush hour, there are a 1000km of traffic jam in one metropolitan area.
Old May 27th, 2007, 03:59 AM   #351
LAist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris1491 View Post
The Southern California highway system rocks. But it is sad that in a rush hour, there are a 1000km of traffic jam in one metropolitan area.
But it works very well at night. Usually no CHP so people blast through at 80 mph+ on the left lanes.
LAist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2007, 04:39 AM   #352
Nephasto
Enlightened user

Likes (Received): 71

Works very well at night?! LoL!

That's also true for most motorway systems all over the world! Not something to be proud about.
Old May 28th, 2007, 04:52 AM   #353
Alex Von Königsberg

Likes (Received): 11

The only memories I have about the Southern Caliufornia freeway network are huge traffic jams Once I spent 3 hours in a stau on I-10 near Pasadena... in an HOV lane That was yet the longest traffic jam I have ever been at. The closest one would probably be when I was stuck for 2.5 hours on A8 near München because of an accident.
Alex Von Königsberg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2007, 12:48 PM   #354
ChrisZwolle
Road user

The longest jam is was in since i got my license, was last year, when i spend 1 hour with my engine off on the Dutch A2.

But German summer traffic jams can be much longer. One time, they had a 180km traffic jam on the French A4.

2 years ago, when it was snowing we had a traffic jam all the way from Amsterdam to the German border. That was some 120km, but the jam extended into Germany.
Old May 28th, 2007, 12:50 PM   #355
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
Once I spent 3 hours in a stau on I-10 near Pasadena... in an HOV lane
Don't you mean the I-110? As far as i know the I-10 goes further south than Pasadena.
Old May 28th, 2007, 08:19 PM   #356
mgk920
Nonhyphenated-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris1491 View Post
Don't you mean the I-110? As far as i know the I-10 goes further south than Pasadena.
I-210 (Foothill Freeway) goes through Pasadena, so it could have been that. The Pasadena Freeway (DT Pasadena to DT Los Angeles) is CA 110, but becomes I-110 a bit further south at I-10.

Mike
Old May 29th, 2007, 01:07 AM   #357
Alex Von Königsberg

Right, I-210 indeed. Not being familiar with the LA area, we decided to take I-15 from San Diego and then I-210 in order to go around LA and join I-5 to continue northward. I still don't know if it would have been faster to stay on I-5 all they way from San Diego to Sacramento.
Old May 29th, 2007, 01:54 AM   #358
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Yeah or you can take the 405 freeway.
Old May 29th, 2007, 02:30 AM   #359
Alex Von Königsberg

Well, I have driven to Southern California only 3 times, and I have no desire to do it again. I better start getting an acquaintance with Seattle motorway network
Old May 29th, 2007, 02:59 AM   #360
jess19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaeus View Post
Oh Yes! I know I would get this typical reply. I would answer to your question if thats what you want.

Greater LA Freeway, when it was built in 1950s, was the most advance freeway system in the world. It is unique for its class because nowhere in America or in the world can build something like it back then. In 1960s, it dominated again by expanding it more and by creating more advance freeways linking each other to create vast networks of arteries to accommodate the rising numbers of vehicles in the area and the growing LA Port, which is even now the biggest in US and one of the biggest in the world. The growing numbers of vehicles cost major traffics in the 1970s and that resulted to construction of the biggest freeway intersections in the entire world. However, the growing number of vehicles in the 1980s and 1990s can't stop the heaviest traffic in US (besides New York) and CalTran realized that Infrastructure project alone can't minimize it. So they found a way to combat those traffics by using a an Intelligent Computerized Network Traffic Flow System that would monitor the traffic and distribute the ease the flow of traffic of the main roads, main highway systems and interstate highway systems of Greater LA. Again, the first of its kind in the world.

Again, to those people who are bashing LA or United States for the inadequate road system, please focus again on what we have done and what we improvised to be one of the pioneers of the Road Freeway System besides Germany's Autobahn. Our Interstate Highway System were so successful in the 1950s that other countries followed it and highway engineers around the world used it as their model. However, you can't allow to ease the minds of American Haters out there.
Yeah .. it "was" the most advanced. I'm pretty sure other major metropolises around the world have networks and systems that are equivalent to, or surpass LA's.
jess19 no está en línea   Reply With Quote