daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


View Poll Results: Which is the busiest Freeway
401-Toronto 170 57.43%
Santa Monica Freeway-LA 96 32.43%
Southwest Freeway-Houston 14 4.73%
I-85-Atlanta 16 5.41%
Voters: 296. You may not vote on this poll

Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old January 19th, 2005, 07:56 AM   #21
DrJoe
Registered Idiot
 
DrJoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,671
Likes (Received): 8

What do you mean you doubt thats the case???The ministry of Transportation could care less about updating that number. The 401 is bigger, longer, wider and more important to the GTA than the Santa Monica freeway is LA.
__________________
*
DrJoe no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 19th, 2005, 08:12 AM   #22
_tictac_
Have a mint.
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Copenhagen | Denver, CO
Posts: 394
Likes (Received): 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJoe
What do you mean you doubt thats the case???The ministry of Transportation could care less about updating that number. The 401 is bigger, longer, wider and more important to the GTA than the Santa Monica freeway is LA.
Do a bit of researching and you'll find that there are many figures, most of which (if not all) cannot be counted for as reliable.
Correct, I-401 is longer and wider but that has nothing to do with the average traffic flow since the Santa Monica Fwy is capable of handling even more.

However, the completion of I-210 did ease some of the pressure on I-10.
Too bad they went through with I-210, we wouldn't even be having this conversation if they didn't.

Anyway, I'm still certain that the Santa Monica Fwy is the busiest in terms of average traffic flow, and even if it's not, then it's pretty damn close.
_tictac_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2005, 08:14 AM   #23
benji45
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Likes (Received):

Your arhuing with cold hard facts Tictac.
  Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2005, 08:19 AM   #24
_tictac_
Have a mint.
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Copenhagen | Denver, CO
Posts: 394
Likes (Received): 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by benji45
Your arhuing with cold hard facts Tictac.
Well I disagree Benji45.
I don't believe Wikipedia one bit, sorry...

It's just as unreliable as any other source out there.
And besides, since when is Wikipedia thought of as 'official' statistics?
_tictac_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2005, 08:20 AM   #25
benji45
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Likes (Received):

So? The 401 Is the bussiest freeway in North America, its fact. Just like New York is the largest City in the USA.
  Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2005, 08:23 AM   #26
_tictac_
Have a mint.
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Copenhagen | Denver, CO
Posts: 394
Likes (Received): 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by benji45
So? The 401 Is the bussiest freeway in North America, its fact. Just like New York is the largest City in the USA.
Not gonna argue with you on NYC being the largest city in the US, we all know that.
What makes you so sure that I-401 is the busiest fwy in NA though, because it's stated on Wikipedia? come on now...

I'm obviously the only one here finding encyclopedias unreliable.
_tictac_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2005, 08:29 AM   #27
DrJoe
Registered Idiot
 
DrJoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,671
Likes (Received): 8

from Texas Highway numbers from 2000

"Los Angeles has numerous freeways in the 330,000 vehicles/day range, including the San Diego and Santa Monica Freeways. However, the world's busiest freeway is the 401 freeway in Toronto, Canada, which has a volume of about 395,000 vehicles per day."
__________________
*
DrJoe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2005, 08:37 AM   #28
_tictac_
Have a mint.
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Copenhagen | Denver, CO
Posts: 394
Likes (Received): 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJoe
from Texas Highway numbers from 2000

"Los Angeles has numerous freeways in the 330,000 vehicles/day range, including the San Diego and Santa Monica Freeways. However, the world's busiest freeway is the 401 freeway in Toronto, Canada, which has a volume of about 395,000 vehicles per day."
Interesting.
Lets make a comparison...

2000: 395,000 vehicles (source: Texas Highway)
2002: 350,000 vehicles (source: Ministry of Transportation)

So what you're saying here is that it went from 350,000 in 2002 to over 425,000 in 2004?

That's interesting
_tictac_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2005, 08:40 AM   #29
DrJoe
Registered Idiot
 
DrJoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,671
Likes (Received): 8

Wow way to make a total guess with that 2002...that Texas Highway guy has basically devoted his time to make a website on highways in Texas, do honestly think he wouldnt know the numbers for highways around North America.
__________________
*
DrJoe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2005, 08:42 AM   #30
_tictac_
Have a mint.
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Copenhagen | Denver, CO
Posts: 394
Likes (Received): 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJoe
Wow way to make a total guess with that 2002...that Texas Highway guy has basically devoted his time to make a website on highways in Texas, do honestly think he wouldnt know the numbers for highways around North America.
Total guess? No
It was updated on November 29, 2002.

And I don't know about the guy in tx, not really questioning his intelligence, not too sure about the statistics he used though but who knows.
_tictac_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2005, 08:55 AM   #31
DrJoe
Registered Idiot
 
DrJoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,671
Likes (Received): 8

I dont want to argue about this anymore, Wikipedia has numbers from 2004 that claim the 401 to be the busiest, some highway nut in texas has it busier in 2000...and you're using numbers which are clearly old when you take the growth of the 401 into consideration over the past 10 years.
__________________
*
DrJoe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2005, 09:02 AM   #32
_tictac_
Have a mint.
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Copenhagen | Denver, CO
Posts: 394
Likes (Received): 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJoe
I dont want to argue about this anymore, Wikipedia has numbers from 2004 that claim the 401 to be the busiest, some highway nut in texas has it busier in 2000...and you're using numbers which are clearly old when you take the growth of the 401 into consideration over the past 10 years.
Over the past 10 years? Not quite so DrJoe (refer to the 2002 statistics), but whatever.
I just find the difference rather funny, you would think the Government of Canada would know but you're probably right, they don't

Anyway, enough of this.
I-401 is clearly the busiest cause Wikipedia claims so, happy now? lol
_tictac_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2005, 10:27 AM   #33
smeghead
PTnut
 
smeghead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Sydney
Posts: 588
Likes (Received): 0

When did I-407 open (I know its recent-ish) and would that have affected traffic on I-401?
__________________
"Widening roads to ease traffic congestion is like trying to cure obesity by loosening your belt." - Glen Hiemstra
smeghead no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2005, 06:08 PM   #34
DrJoe
Registered Idiot
 
DrJoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,671
Likes (Received): 8

Quote:
Over the past 10 years? Not quite so DrJoe (refer to the 2002 statistics), but whatever.
I just find the difference rather funny, you would think the Government of Canada would know but you're probably right, they don't
You're like talking to a wall, the numbers are old how many times to you have to be told that.

2000: 395,000...http://www.texasfreeway.com/Houston/...9sw/59sw.shtml
2001: 407,800... http://www.onthighways.com/highway_401_page_2.htm
2002: 414,100... http://www.thekingshighway.ca/TRAFFIC/Hwy401traffic.htm
2004: 425,000....http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Highway_401

Link provided by the Ontario Minsitry of Transportion from 2002
http://www.ronenhouse.com/__85256B7C...002%20AADT.pdf

Anywhere you look on the Santa Monica it has either leveled out or stayed the same in the past years.

AADT(2000) 330,000...http://www.texasfreeway.com/Houston/...9sw/59sw.shtml
AADT(2002) 329,000...http://www.interstate-guide.com/i-010.html

The 401 is the busiest , the end.
__________________
*

Last edited by DrJoe; January 19th, 2005 at 07:03 PM.
DrJoe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2005, 07:11 PM   #35
sonysnob
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: North York
Posts: 963
Likes (Received): 860

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJoe
Or we could use wikipedia which has the 2004 stats and claims the 401 to be the busiest.
The Wikipedia stats on the 401 are made up. They don't come from any AADT sources I am aware of, and it seems like a lot of facts displayed on it came from 'third party' sources, hence why very little highway information on the site referenced. User be aware. The 2002 Traffic counts from the MTO and Ronen House put the busiest section of Highway 401 at 414,100 from Highway 400 easterly to Weston Road.

Scott Steeves

Last edited by sonysnob; January 19th, 2005 at 11:07 PM. Reason: Fixing Spelling and grammar
sonysnob no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2005, 07:13 PM   #36
[email protected]
Funk Master
 
B@dGuYoM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Beauvais, FRANCE
Posts: 3,873
Likes (Received): 5

i vote LA
__________________
ThE SkY iS ThE LiMiT
B@dGuYoM no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2005, 07:25 PM   #37
sonysnob
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: North York
Posts: 963
Likes (Received): 860

Quote:
Originally Posted by smeghead
When did I-407 open (I know its recent-ish) and would that have affected traffic on I-401?
The first prtion of Highway 407 openend in June 1997 from the 410 in the west to the 404 in the east. Numerous extentiones have openend since then (the most recent openend in August 2001), and the Highway now stretches from the QEW/403 (Freeman) Interchenge in Burlington to Highway 7 east of Brougham in Pickering.

Because of the nature of the highway (privately run toll road) it has not had the desired affect of really reducing congestion off of the 401.

Scott Steeves

Last edited by sonysnob; January 19th, 2005 at 09:46 PM.
sonysnob no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2005, 09:29 PM   #38
Booyashako
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: (905)
Posts: 541
Likes (Received): 17

Just a note to some forumers. Ontario is not part of the American interstate system. Therefore it's not "I-401" but simply the "401".
__________________
...and all your wishenz will come true...
Booyashako no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2005, 08:03 AM   #39
smeghead
PTnut
 
smeghead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Sydney
Posts: 588
Likes (Received): 0

I just used the i Prefix because everyone else did. Do Canadian Hwy Route Numbers have prefixes? In Australia, on a federal level, we have NR (National Routes) and NH (National Highways).
__________________
"Widening roads to ease traffic congestion is like trying to cure obesity by loosening your belt." - Glen Hiemstra
smeghead no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2005, 08:15 AM   #40
benji45
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Likes (Received):

Sometimes the Canadian ones have prefixes, like S, meaning south and SW meaning Southwest
  Reply With Quote


Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 03:27 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

tech management by Sysprosium