daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: Which is the busiest Freeway
401-Toronto 170 57.43%
Santa Monica Freeway-LA 96 32.43%
Southwest Freeway-Houston 14 4.73%
I-85-Atlanta 16 5.41%
Voters: 296. You may not vote on this poll

Old April 17th, 2010, 03:22 PM   #541
caserass
Normandie

Likes (Received): 5156

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minato ku View Post
Big means wide in carewser post.He is right, in Shanghai, LA, New York, Tokyo or London, Paris... there are no highway wider than the 401 in Toronto.

In Central Tokyo, the average 2x2 lanes by exemple.
I know what he meant, actually I just underlined the fact there were few motorways in toronto compared with other cities.
caserass no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 17th, 2010, 03:59 PM   #542
jandeczentar

Likes (Received): 2

London doesn't actually have that many motorways either. In the old days it was supposed to have 4 motorway ringroads and numerous motorway radial roads. Unfortunately only 1 (the M25) was ever built and many of the radial routes have sections missing (the M11 starts at junction 4). The green lines are A-Roads, some of which could be classed as "expressways" (eg: A2 or A12) but many are a single carriageway and a single lane (eg: A21 or A23), little more than residential streets. As a result, if there was a competition for the busiest single carriageway road in the world it would probably be in London somewhere.
jandeczentar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2010, 04:24 PM   #543
Sacré Coeur

Likes (Received): 534

Quote:
Originally Posted by caserass View Post
I don't know about tokyo or NY but Paris has a freeway network of about 800 kilometers. I guess that's the difference between these cities and toronto.

Paris
The Paris map is turned around.
Sacré Coeur no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2010, 05:00 PM   #544
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19392

Quote:
Originally Posted by LtBk View Post
NYC metro expressways are so congested because they are over capacity and built before interstate standards. Also, millions of people live in car centric Long Island.
Yeah, actually, many NYC six-lane expressways do not have particularly high traffic volumes. For example the FDR carries less traffic than some six-lane freeways in Europe do. The major chokepoints on six-lane freeways in the NYC area are the I-95 through South Bronx and I-278, The Gowanus Expressway and the BQE in particular. The antiquated interchanges and exits are a major factor to NYC traffic congestion.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2010, 07:18 PM   #545
caserass
Normandie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jandeczentar View Post
London doesn't actually have that many motorways either. In the old days it was supposed to have 4 motorway ringroads and numerous motorway radial roads. Unfortunately only 1 (the M25) was ever built and many of the radial routes have sections missing (the M11 starts at junction 4). The green lines are A-Roads, some of which could be classed as "expressways" (eg: A2 or A12) but many are a single carriageway and a single lane (eg: A21 or A23), little more than residential streets. As a result, if there was a competition for the busiest single carriageway road in the world it would probably be in London somewhere.
yes, I'm not surprised at all, actually traffic jams in london are huge and frequent.
Old April 17th, 2010, 07:19 PM   #546
caserass
Normandie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sacré Coeur View Post
The Paris map is turned around.
yes, that's weird, it's the only city where my google earth did that....
Old April 17th, 2010, 10:18 PM   #547
Grey Towers

Likes (Received): 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCat View Post
As far as I know most of that new planned system is canceled, not simply in trouble .
Are you referring to the prov. Libs' $4 Billion funding withdrawal? No, Transit City or Metrolinx, or whatever the hell it's called, hasn't been cancelled; it has just been partially "delayed". Still, the experts say even delaying it is a crippling blow.
Grey Towers no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2010, 11:01 PM   #548
I-275westcoastfl

Likes (Received): 790

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis View Post
You don't have any Transit , and it seems you won't for a while, sadly. Although you do have HOV lanes on the Freeways.
We have transit its just pathetic and actually we don't have any HOV lanes on the few highways we have. We do have one good example of a highway which has a tolled elevated reversible lanes, otherwise our roads here are sub-standard.
I-275westcoastfl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2010, 01:39 AM   #549
TheCat
IsraCanadian :)

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey Towers View Post
Are you referring to the prov. Libs' $4 Billion funding withdrawal? No, Transit City or Metrolinx, or whatever the hell it's called, hasn't been cancelled; it has just been partially "delayed". Still, the experts say even delaying it is a crippling blow.
Heh okay, but delaying a plan that was due to be completed in more than 10 years' time is the same thing. A lot can still happen in the next decade, so I guess we will see.

Besides, I think LRT for the most part is inadequate and a half-assed way to try to solve the problem (as opposed to building a subway), at least for some of the busier lines.

My understanding though is that Eglinton is still getting built? I think the Downsview subway extension too. I'd rather see the Yonge line extended.
Old April 18th, 2010, 01:41 AM   #550
TheCat
IsraCanadian :)

Likes (Received): 6

By the way, speaking of the 401 - apparently the Katy Freeway in Houston is now wider than the 401 (though the 401 is still busier). I think it's the case only if you also count the access roads, at least according to pictures I've seen. Counting the main thoroughfares alone, I think the 401 is still a bit wider.
Old April 18th, 2010, 02:09 AM   #551
Haljackey

Likes (Received): 107

Quote:
By the way, speaking of the 401 - apparently the Katy Freeway in Houston is now wider than the 401 (though the 401 is still busier). I think it's the case only if you also count the access roads, at least according to pictures I've seen. Counting the main thoroughfares alone, I think the 401 is still a bit wider.
Yeah I think its 24 or 26 lanes total, but that includes frontage roads and stuff. The 401 doesn't really have frontage roads and since they aren't technically part of the highway, they shouldn't be considered part of the equation. However, the 401's collector lanes count because they're considered part of the mainline highway.

HOV lanes should count, but shoulders and off/on ramp lanes should not.

So when you total it up, I'm not sure which is wider. The 401 is 18 lanes for sure, adding another 4 for the ramps in the picture shown on the last page should not count.

I'm sure someone who's more familiar with Interstate 10 (Katy Freeway in Houston area) will help explain it in more detail.
Haljackey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2010, 03:54 AM   #552
Grey Towers

Likes (Received): 45

Quote:
Besides, I think LRT for the most part is inadequate and a half-assed way to try to solve the problem (as opposed to building a subway), at least for some of the busier lines.
Totally agree.
Quote:
My understanding though is that Eglinton is still getting built? I think the Downsview subway extension too. I'd rather see the Yonge line extended.
Downsview subway to Steeles for sure. The Pearson-Union rail link is also a go, but I'm unsure where the negotiations with Weston residents stand currently (they were understandably concerned about the disruption and by the fact that no stops were planned for their neighbourhood).

These are the projects being delayed:
•Eglinton Avenue, from Kennedy station to Pearson International Airport
•Finch Avenue, from the Yonge subway line to Humber College, and east to Don Mills station
•Scarborough Rapid Transit upgrading and extension
•Improvements for York Region's VIVA Bus Rapid Transit
Grey Towers no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2010, 12:55 PM   #553
ChrisZwolle
Road user

American claims for wide freeways often include frontage roads, ramps and fly-overs, distributor lanes before interchanges, etc, which I don't think belong to the mainline freeway. A local-express setup does, as long as it is fully access controlled.

Still, the Katy Freeway is very wide, with as much as 12 lanes for longer distances. You don't find many freeways that sport over 14 lanes for longer distances. Sure, approaches before interchanges may be wider, but not for more than say, half a mile.

The widest freeway that is not split up in more than 2 roadways is the I-75 in Marietta (a suburb of Atlanta). It has 15 or 16 lanes, as much as 7 - 8 lanes in one direction for at least a couple of miles. There is a slightly wider freeway in Buenos Aires that sports 9 lanes in one direction, but not for more than a few hundred meters between two interchanges.
Old April 18th, 2010, 01:56 PM   #554
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21242

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
American claims for wide freeways often include frontage roads, ramps and fly-overs, distributor lanes before interchanges, etc, which I don't think belong to the mainline freeway. A local-express setup does, as long as it is fully access controlled.
Chris, I think a good measure of capacity would be the narrowest (=less lanes) point between two intersections. That is the effective bottleneck of the some highway sector. Approaching lines, frontage road with no connection to main free-flow highways etc. do not interfere with the highway capacity "sector-wise".

In other words, you can always fix interchange problems (like old style 4-leaf ones) like waving and cross-traffic redesigning/reconstructing the interchange, but that will not improve, except on very rare cases, the overall capacity of a sector. It the following sector is below capacity, the maximum relief one would get by fixing an interchange is avoiding that a free flowing highway gets clogged by drivers trying to access the congested highway.
Old April 18th, 2010, 08:38 PM   #555
Haljackey

Likes (Received): 107

Whatever you want to call them, I think collector/local/distributor lanes count. However frontage roads do not because they are not part of the highway.

Exit/entrance lanes also do not count because they narrow to the main route slightly beyond the interchange. If that counted then the 401 would have like 26 lanes slightly east of the 403-410 mega interchange which is west of the airport. It later sorts itself out with a 18 lane cross-section.

HOV lanes count because they are part of the mainline.

Paved shoulders do not count because traffic does not usually use them. If this was true add another 8 lanes to the 401 in the last picture because it has an inner and outer paved shoulder for each of the 4 carriageways.

Flyovers and whatnot also do not count because they are connecting routes, not part of the mainline.

That's my analogy, not sure how accurate that is. Do you agree with most of it?

By the way, although the 401 is the busiest road on earth, the busiest part is actually not part of that picture. There's a basketweave interchange (junction with itself) slightly east of the 400. The span of highway between these two points is the busiest part of the highway I believe carrying 505,000 cars a day, however official sources have a count that is lower than that.
Haljackey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2010, 08:43 PM   #556
ChrisZwolle
Road user

That 500,000 figure is probably a summer peak and not representative for the annual average daily traffic. As the 400 does not continue towards downtown Toronto, much commuter traffic enters 401 for a brief distance, and then uses one of the arterials towards downtown (or continues all the way to the Don Valley Parkway). That is why this section is also the busiest, in addition to east-west traffic, it also carries traffic that has a north-south relation.
Old April 18th, 2010, 09:20 PM   #557
Tom 958

Likes (Received): 163

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
The widest freeway that is not split up in more than 2 roadways is the I-75 in Marietta (a suburb of Atlanta). It has 15 or 16 lanes, as much as 7 - 8 lanes in one direction for at least a couple of miles.
It's actually only a little over a mile, eight lanes northbound, seven southbound on what otherwise is a 2x5 freeway. Large (three and four lane)ramps to and from I-285 and the inconvenient location of the Windy Hill Road interchange make the obvious solution of CD roads or ramp braids unworkable.
Tom 958 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2010, 10:27 PM   #558
carewser

Likes (Received): 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by caserass View Post
I know what he meant, actually I just underlined the fact there were few motorways in toronto compared with other cities.
I expect that is the reason the 401 is the biggest freeway in the world.

Someone mentioned Houston because it has some incredible freeways too. Here's an example:

Old April 18th, 2010, 10:49 PM   #559
ChrisZwolle
Road user

That is Hurricane Rita evacuation.
Old April 18th, 2010, 11:04 PM   #560
Alexriga
BANNED

Likes (Received): 183

Thatš why I love metro. Such roads are hell for nerves.
Alexriga no está en línea   Reply With Quote