daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: Which is the busiest Freeway
401-Toronto 170 57.43%
Santa Monica Freeway-LA 96 32.43%
Southwest Freeway-Houston 14 4.73%
I-85-Atlanta 16 5.41%
Voters: 296. You may not vote on this poll

Old October 25th, 2014, 10:09 PM   #781
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19391

30 lanes? 750,000 vehicles per day? That would definitely be the busiest road in the world, but also definitely not necessary.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 26th, 2014, 05:53 AM   #782
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 747

Quote:
Originally Posted by BriedisUnIzlietne View Post
For example the entire 18 lanes of 401 could be transformed into a train line just 2 tracks wide. The capacity would grow to as much as 3 700 000 people per day and it free up about 230 feet of land on the sides of the tracks for offices, shops, schools, housing, parking..
But that only considers people who could theoretically use something on a train tracks. There a lot of trucks (TIR) on 401, probably a whole 2x2 motorway worth at all times going everywhere, loads too small for trains and to too disperse locations, etc.

In my case also, I live in the suburbs, but of a different city from Toronto that is about 600 km away

I think once you learn to drive you will find how amazing it is... I think a major factor ignored in the traffic vs. transit debate is the preference of the people (divided by true cost of course). Whenever I sit on a bus or commuter train I get so depressed...
Kanadzie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2014, 06:00 AM   #783
Innsertnamehere
insertoronto

Likes (Received): 681

many people do both (Shocker!), like me.

Personally I love driving on weekends with an open road, but would never want to do it daily for commuting. A good mix of the two is needed. Replacing the 401, banning new highway construction, or building only transit obviously aren't answers, but neither is building only highways.

And yes, the busiest subway line in Toronto handles roughly as many people as the 401 handles cars at their two busiest points. Replacing the 401 with a subway wouldn't do that though, they serve different kinds of trips.

Widening the 401 through the central section isn't really realistic, it doesn't have the space. Its lined with houses and office buildings. The busiest part will remain 15 lanes for the foreseeable future, maybe a small widening to 16 lanes. The widenings will continue on the less busy parts of the 401 though as their traffic grows, as is occurring today with 3 different widening projects going on along the highway.

BriedisUnIzlietne liked this post
Innsertnamehere no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2014, 11:31 AM   #784
BriedisUnIzlietne

Likes (Received): 2897

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanadzie View Post
But that only considers people who could theoretically use something on a train tracks. There a lot of trucks (TIR) on 401, probably a whole 2x2 motorway worth at all times going everywhere, loads too small for trains and to too disperse locations, etc.
Yes, I just wanted to show how much space is taken up. Realistically there would still be a need for a 2x2 (probably with tolls for cars so it wouldn't get congested and truck traffic could flow freely) and a 1x1 access road for the buildings that would get built on the ex-401 land.

Quote:
I think once you learn to drive you will find how amazing it is... I think a major factor ignored in the traffic vs. transit debate is the preference of the people (divided by true cost of course). Whenever I sit on a bus or commuter train I get so depressed...
That's also why I hate it when cyclists say "more cyclists mean less cars". I don't think that most drivers would give up their car with motor, heater, radio, comfy seats to ride a bicycle to work. The increase in cyclists probably mainly consists of people who used to ride the bus or walk.

For me the most enjoyable mode of transportation is sitting in the passenger seat of a car because you can admire the view and don't have to drive as it's hard and even dangerous to do both.
But using transit also isn't bad unless the heater of the tram at -10 C is turned off (Damn you, Rīgas Satiksme!)
BriedisUnIzlietne no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2014, 04:43 PM   #785
Shenkey

Likes (Received): 2097

Increasing lane count doesnt help with anything.

You need to build more roads that are more direct for people that want to go there and redirect the traffic.

For instance Munich aggromeration is 2.5mio and widest road is 4 lanes, but mostly 3x3.
You can also look at London, there are mo 15 lane roads. It is important to develop extensive network and not funnel cars to one artery.
Shenkey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2014, 12:43 AM   #786
Martin Ferraro

Likes (Received): 2160

Dubai... (my pictures, I dont have the numbers but i m sure that some of these roads are in the top)

Sheikh Zaied expressway
[IMG]http://oi57.************/ejvo6f.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://oi61.************/2zohzte.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://oi62.************/2202ko.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://oi59.************/dy3huu.jpg[/IMG]

Al Kail Expressway
[IMG]http://oi60.************/10mpjbm.jpg[/IMG]

311 expresway (close to Sport City)
[IMG]http://oi62.************/6jqed0.jpg[/IMG]

Bonus...
[IMG]http://oi58.************/28micew.jpg[/IMG]
Martin Ferraro no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2014, 01:58 AM   #787
Innsertnamehere
insertoronto

Likes (Received): 681

the highways are wide, don't look super busy to me though.
Innsertnamehere no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2014, 02:03 AM   #788
Дisiдent
In the brig

Likes (Received): 15003

They planned ahead.
Дisiдent no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2014, 07:17 PM   #789
Martin Ferraro

Likes (Received): 2160

Quote:
Originally Posted by Дisiдent View Post
They planned ahead.
We need the numbers.
But these city have real problems whith the traffic.

http://www.gulftalent.com/home/Dubai...rticle-23.html
Martin Ferraro no está en línea   Reply With Quote