daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: Which is the busiest Freeway
401-Toronto 170 57.43%
Santa Monica Freeway-LA 96 32.43%
Southwest Freeway-Houston 14 4.73%
I-85-Atlanta 16 5.41%
Voters: 296. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 2nd, 2006, 04:02 AM   #121
brisavoine
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2346

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juan Kerr
I'd have to say that the M6 in Birmingham / West Midlands would HAVE to be up there among Europe's busiest.
Well, according to the BBC article I quoted, the stetch of the M25 mentioned above is the busiest section of motorway in the UK.
brisavoine no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 2nd, 2006, 04:27 AM   #122
London_2006

Likes (Received): 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by yrkn
i think the LIE I-495 in nyc should be up there too
Among Europe's busiest?
London_2006 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2006, 04:30 AM   #123
Iggybumtastic
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

M8 Glasgow -

In 2004 it was announced that a section of the M8 was the 2nd busiest stretch of road in the entire UK, after a section of the M60 motorway (usually a section of the M25 motorway holds the honour of the busiest, but had unusually low traffic figures in 2004 due to roadworks). An average of 173,000 vehicles per day used that stretch of the M8 in 2004.

The Kingston Bridge is a ten lane road bridge crossing the River Clyde in Glasgow, Scotland. The bridge carries the M8 motorway through the city centre. The Kingston Bridge is one of the busiest road bridges in Europe, carrying over 150,000 vehicles every day.
Iggybumtastic no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2006, 04:45 AM   #124
Æsahættr

Likes (Received): 5

PERIPHIQUE
Old May 2nd, 2006, 08:41 AM   #125
kaunaz

Likes (Received): 1

MKAD?
Old May 2nd, 2006, 02:04 PM   #126
KIWIKAAS

Likes (Received): 750

The A16 van Brienenoord bridge in Rotterdam handles over 200000 vehicles per day on 12 lanes. I wouldnt be surprised if sections of the A16 south of the bridge would be 250000+ v.p.d.
KIWIKAAS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2006, 02:06 PM   #127
KIWIKAAS

Likes (Received): 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by brisavoine
3- M25 motorway between junctions 13 and 14 in the western suburbs of London: 196,000 vehicles a day in 2003 (source)
Thats interesting. The busiest section of motorway in New Zealand (pop.4 million) handles the same daily average volume.
KIWIKAAS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2006, 04:23 PM   #128
GNU
Gnuru

Likes (Received): 35

Quote:
2- A 100 Autobahn (Berliner Stadtring) near the Funkturm in Berlin: 216,000 vehicles a day recorded in 1998
hmm I dont know really.

all I can say is that the Berliner Stadtring is certainly not the buisiest autobahn section in Germany.
the Koelner Ring (cologne), Frankfurt or some sections in the Rhein-Rhur area are surely busier.

In Europe I would say that some parts around Paris must certainly be up there.
GNU no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2006, 04:26 PM   #129
kostya
SSC Veteran

Likes (Received): 2188

I always thought it would be some autobahn somewhere near Koln.
kostya no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2006, 04:28 PM   #130
brisavoine
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2346

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotrfan55345
PERIPHIQUE
It's hard to find exact data about the Périphérique. From what I could gather online, there are up to 300,000 vehicles a day on the busiest sections of the Périphérique, which would make it Europe's busiest freeway, unless someone can find a busier freeway, but I doubt it.
brisavoine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2006, 04:30 PM   #131
GNU
Gnuru

Likes (Received): 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by kostya
I always thought it would be some autobahn somewhere near Koln.
Well thats what Im supecting. the Koelner Ring (Cologne Ring) is one of the buisiest sections in Germany.
GNU no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2006, 07:04 PM   #132
empersouf

Likes (Received): 22

The Frankfurter Kreuz????
And what about roads in the Netherlands?
empersouf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2006, 07:19 PM   #133
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soufian
The Frankfurter Kreuz????
You are right, the FK is the busiest stretch of motorway in Europe:

Quote:
The Frankfurter Kreuz is an Autobahn interchange in the city of Frankfurt in Hesse, Germany where the autobahns A3 and A5 meet. The interchange was originally to be built from 1931 to 1933, but due to World War II construction was not finished until 1957. It underwent massive remodeling in the 1990s, as it had been frequently overloaded due to excess traffic. Today, both autobahns have ten lanes.

Two tunnels of the Cologne - Frankfurt high-speed railway line have been put below the Kreuz. The Kreuz is situated at the northeastern corner of Frankfurt International Airport.

Along with the airport and the airport's railway station, the Frankfurter Kreuz is commonly seen as a symbol of Frankfurt's good connections to the world.

With 300,000 cars daily it is the most heavily used interchange in Europe, followed by the Kamener Kreuz.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frankfurter_Kreuz

Second in Europe is the Kamener Kreuz:

Quote:
The Kamener Kreuz is a cloverleaf interchange between the town of Kamen and the city of Dortmund in Germany where the [[Autobahn|]]s A1 and A2 meet. It was the first interchange between the first two Reichsautobahns, and the first operational cloverleaf interchange in Europe, opened in 1937.

It is the second most densely used interchange in Europe after the Frankfurter Kreuz.

The Kamener Kreuz is currently being renovated and upgraded to three lanes per direction, this requires the demolition of the old A2 bridge and the construction of a new one.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kamener_Kreuz

Last edited by 909; May 2nd, 2006 at 07:36 PM.
909 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2006, 07:41 PM   #134
empersouf

And what about the road between Utrecht and Amsterdam. Amsterdam-The Hague or Amsterdam-Almere/Hilversum/Amersfoort. Or the road between Antwerp and Brussels. Or a highway in Paris, like a the road from Val-de-Marne(big suburb) to Paris? Or maybe a road in Milano??
Old May 2nd, 2006, 07:43 PM   #135
-

Quote:
It's hard to find exact data about the Périphérique. From what I could gather online, there are up to 300,000 vehicles a day on the busiest sections of the Périphérique, which would make it Europe's busiest freeway, unless someone can find a busier freeway, but I doubt it.
It's difficult to compare these kind of figures for a whole freeway. It is better to compare a single part, a stretch of freeway. I have no doubt that the Périphérique is very busy, just like the ring of London, but when it comes to a single part of freeway the Frankfurter Kreuz is the winner in Europe.

It is interesting to see that the Frankfurter Kreuz with a few lanes can handle over 300,000 cars per day, while a intersection in Los Angeles (the El Toro Y) needs 26 lanes for 350,000 cars a day... European efficiency?
Old May 2nd, 2006, 07:56 PM   #136
Minato ku

Quote:
Originally Posted by 909
It's difficult to compare these kind of figures for a whole freeway. It is better to compare a single part, a stretch of freeway. I have no doubt that the Périphérique is very busy, just like the ring of London, but when it comes to a single part of freeway the Frankfurter Kreuz is the winner in Europe.

It is interesting to see that the Frankfurter Kreuz with a few lanes can handle over 300,000 cars per day, while a intersection in Los Angeles (the El Toro Y) needs 26 lanes for 350,000 cars a day... European efficiency?
No whole Peripherique It is 1.2 millions car per day.
Old May 2nd, 2006, 08:13 PM   #137
empersouf

But to compare, you need a part of a highway. So only between 2 junctions.
Unless all thos people who drive on the peripherique are going around it completely
Old May 2nd, 2006, 08:28 PM   #138
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by minato ku
No whole Peripherique It is 1.2 millions car per day.
Even if 1.2 million cars use the Peripherique every day, it doesn't say something about the number of cars using a small piece of the Peripherique every day.
As Soufian said it is impossible to compare complete motorways. The only way to compare motorways is to compare a stretch, a single part of the motorway.
The best way to compare is using figures of one single point of a motorway, not the whole motorway.
Old May 2nd, 2006, 08:34 PM   #139
Minato ku

I understood.
but 300 000 cars only beetween 2 junctions
It isn't impossible.
Old May 2nd, 2006, 08:43 PM   #140
empersouf

The Frankfurter Kreuz is showing that