daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 1st, 2013, 04:42 PM   #221
Jota
J

Likes (Received): 21

Why?
It will very useful for Barcelona tourists too!

Everybody can sign here:

https://www.change.org/es/peticiones...e-abra-en-2014

Todo lo que pensé que nunca haría anda por ahí, está tan cerca que casi está dentro de mí...
Jota no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 2nd, 2013, 03:39 AM   #222
bmfarley

Likes (Received): 0

What technically is in the way in order to begin running trains to the airport?

Is the segment connected to a maintenance and storage facility? Are the rails and train control systems achievable by 2014? Traction Power? Stations complete? Just curious?

I would have to think that if the line is ready and only the funding were needed.... They'd find a way to open the service to the airport !
bmfarley no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2013, 04:07 AM   #223
Sister Greed U

Likes (Received): 15395

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmfarley View Post
What technically is in the way in order to begin running trains to the airport?
Right now, not much.

Quote:
Is the segment connected to a maintenance and storage facility?
Not yet. Rails aren´t yet in place in the tunnel that will link it to the depot.

Quote:
Are the rails and train control systems achievable by 2014?
Yes.

Quote:
Traction Power? Stations complete?
All of them. They even have the lights on, escalators, lifts... The only missing thing are a few platform screen doors, and the fare barriers, and the definitive platform signalling, that´s all.

Quote:
Just curious?

I would have to think that if the line is ready and only the funding were needed.... They'd find a way to open the service to the airport !
That is, they could if they wanted to. The problem is that it isn´t electorally interesting to the current regional government, since in 2014 there won´t be any elections, and in 2016 there should be.

But if they wanted to, this stretch of the L9 could be opening by 2014.
And God knows how needed it is!

Highcliff liked this post
437.001 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2013, 03:33 AM   #224
bmfarley

Likes (Received): 0

If this was occurring in America, this would not be tolerated.

Where is the "depot"? Any maps available?

Do they have train cars available without compromising service on other lines?
bmfarley no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2013, 06:42 AM   #225
Sister Greed U

Quote:
The authorities in the suburbs concerned, and those from the airport, the main industrial estate in Barcelona, and the Congress Hall/Exhibition Center are very angry.
Not to talk about the neighbours.

Quote:
Where is the "depot"?
In the Zona Franca, the main industrial estate in inner Barcelona.

Quote:
Any maps available?
I´ll search, now I´m going to bed.

Quote:
Do they have train cars available without compromising service on other lines?
Yes. But I´m not sure if that could ensure the 3 min frequency that is usual in the rest of the metro lines. 6 minutes could be ok though, since the line doesn´t reach other more central (or more crowded) areas.

Old April 5th, 2013, 06:53 PM   #226
Ribarca

Likes (Received): 3337

Quote:
Because America is famous for its public transport.

I'm not sure even if tourists really need this line. Express trains from the airport to downtown are needed more. Then they do have to connect to the new terminal...

The distance to the airport is actually very small. A very good bus service (like in Tokyo) could even suffice.

Hong Kong by Xavibarca, www.xavibarca.com
Ribarca no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2013, 08:56 PM   #227
metro-world

Likes (Received): 32

Barcelona line 9-10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 437.001 View Post
The authorities in the suburbs concerned, and those from the airport, the main industrial estate in Barcelona, and the Congress Hall/Exhibition Center are very angry.
Not to talk about the neighbours.

In the Zona Franca, the main industrial estate in inner Barcelona.

I´ll search, now I´m going to bed.

Yes. But I´m not sure if that could ensure the 3 min frequency that is usual in the rest of the metro lines. 6 minutes could be ok though, since the line doesn´t reach other more central (or more crowded) areas.

some general notice to this project:
it seems that it is to big for Barcelona. When approved good 10 years ago it was estimated at 2 bn EUR - now the cost calculation is around 6,5 bn - and no end is to see!
most western segment including the depot is build -but technical installation is missing. I have a detail map of the constrcution status - but don't know how to upload this here - always mistakes..

then the line is very deep- around 30 m or more - and so not usable for short distance travel, which is better done by bus. I have no idea why it is going soo deep at the eastern and western areas which are not hilly as the Central segment where it needs to go deep. all other metro lines are in a "normal" deepth up to 15-20 m and more easy to reach.

construction of some central section stations started, but was halted and not tunneling works started yet - and will not start in the foreseen future.
I just rode a part last Novermber - and saw not much people using it in diffrent to the other metro lines.
this seems to me as a "white elephant" to Barcelona!

But planning is going well since 1999 on their big extension plannings - just under updating - but I think I will not live long enought to see them all running. Apart of several Metro extensions 2 new lines are in planning ther
called PDI 2020 - but will not come up to 2030.
metro-world no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2013, 01:38 AM   #228
gincan
Gincan

Likes (Received): 183

Quote:
Originally Posted by metro-world View Post
then the line is very deep- around 30 m or more - and so not usable for short distance travel, which is better done by bus. I have no idea why it is going soo deep at the eastern and western areas which are not hilly as the Central segment where it needs to go deep. all other metro lines are in a "normal" deepth up to 15-20 m and more easy to reach.
Neither in Santa Coloma nor in Badalona the bus is faster than the metro unless we talk about isolated cases. You better study the map of those two places, they are anything but faster by bus.

The depth of the metro doesn't make it harder to reach, the elevators take 20-25 seconds between the platform level and the ticket hall. It would in most cases be impossible to place the stations much closer to the ground level anyway, especially in Santa Coloma.

Quote:
I just rode a part last Novermber - and saw not much people using it in diffrent to the other metro lines.
The line is when fully built projected to be the busiest in Barcelona, this is mainly because it will have no competition what so ever, neither from buses nor from cars, this since it shortcuts several otherwise complicated routes. Try driving or take a bus along the route L9 follow and you will understand.

Right now the line is unfinished and not very useful as it is, but once built things will change quite drastically.

Quote:
this seems to me as a "white elephant" to Barcelona!
Anything but a white elephant, it will either be the most or the second most important metro line in Barcelona when built. Right now though, it is a very expensive big black hole consuming a large chunk of the city's infrastructure budget. Inevitably delaying other projects.

One could say that the scope of project was to ambitious from the get go, especially the airport/port branches could have been handled/planned better.

Last edited by gincan; April 6th, 2013 at 02:11 AM.
gincan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2013, 02:35 AM   #229
Sister Greed U

Those who doubt about L9/L10 should remember that Barcelona is the city with the highest population density in Europe.
The line will be very very busy, there´s no possible doubt about it.

As for the forumer who claimed that it wasn´t very busy when he used it, what is true is that the average Barcelonian is a bit slow about using new infrastructures, it takes them a little more than what is usual in other places to get accustomed to using new lines, God knows why.

L9/L10 (and other latest new extensions of L2, L3 and L5) are still increasing their ridership.
Every time I use any of these new lines and extensions, I feel that they are a little more busy than before.

===================================================================================================

The depot for the southern branches of L9 and L10 is located at the left bottom of the blue line on the map, near the port.

Click on the link below the image to make it bigger.

By Bernat Borràs, at www.trenscat.cat

Last edited by 437.001; April 6th, 2013 at 02:48 AM.
Old April 6th, 2013, 03:12 AM   #230
Sister Greed U

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ribarca View Post
I'm not sure even if tourists really need this line. Express trains from the airport to downtown are needed more. Then they do have to connect to the new terminal...
These "tourists" might have their hotel, or business meeting, or home, UPTOWN.

Btw, trains on this line are faster than on the others.

Old April 6th, 2013, 06:25 AM   #231
Ribarca

Likes (Received): 3337

Quote:
These "tourists" might have their hotel, or business meeting, or home, UPTOWN.

Btw, trains on this line are faster than on the others.
Absolutely. But wouldn't you say that a large part want to reach Placa Catalunya.

Aren't there too many stops for tourists to reach their desination with the L9?

Hong Kong by Xavibarca, www.xavibarca.com
Ribarca no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2013, 08:40 PM   #232
Sister Greed U

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ribarca View Post
Absolutely. But wouldn't you say that a large part want to reach Placa Catalunya.
For "tourists" I meant every kind of people who come to Barcelona through the airport.
Barcelona is a touristic city, true, but it´s not just a kindergarten either, most people travelling there aren´t tourists in the holiday sense of the word.
So many people staying at Barcelona might be holiday tourists, but many will be businessmen too. And not all the hotels are in the old town nor the center, many are in the uptown too.

Besides, the line would be useless if it had been planned just for tourists.
A city is a complex thing.

Quote:
Aren't there too many stops for tourists to reach their desination with the L9?
And in the case of Heathrow? Barajas? Roissy/Orly? I don´t think so.
There will be a few possibilities:

a) One is to take the metro from the T1 to the T2 or to El Prat Estació, and then take the cercanías. That´s an idea for those who have the hotel at Castelldefels, Sitges or further south, or elsewhere in the Barcelona province, or for those who might be hurried.
Although there are commuter trains to the airport only every 30 minutes, so if you´re not lucky, by the time you see the train coming, you could be entering Torrassa or Collblanc if you had used the metro, where you could change to other metro lines that take you to the center (whichever station would that be).

b) The other is to take the metro from the T1 to Europa-Fira, and then change there to FGC bound for Plaça Espanya, but FGC trains are shorter and busy, and you´d have to validate the ticket or buy another one. And still, unless your hotel would be near Plaça Espanya, you´d have to change to the metro again there, so the detour via Collblanc or Torrassa would perhaps be a better idea.

Like I said, L9 trains are faster than the average metro line, mainly because the line doesn´t have many narrow turnings as it goes deeper.
If you use the open section, you can be surprised by how little it takes you from Sagrera to Llefià or Santa Rosa.
So despite looking like a snake on the map, it´s actually much more practical than that.

Ribarca, Highcliff liked this post

Last edited by 437.001; April 6th, 2013 at 09:04 PM.
Old April 7th, 2013, 02:08 AM   #233
city_thing
Put it in your mouth

Likes (Received): 883

What is the busiest line and station on the Barcelona metro? I love looking at the map, it's really well done
Old April 7th, 2013, 02:08 PM   #234
Aquarius
Nooo, ya no

Likes (Received): 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by city_thing View Post
What is the busiest line and station on the Barcelona metro? I love looking at the map, it's really well done
The busiest line is the line 1(2011):

TMB

L1 107M Red
L5 89M Blue
L3 86,3M Green
L4 52,1M Yellow
L2 43,5M Purple
L9/10 7,9M Orange
L11 1M

FGC (first ring)

Vallès 28,2M
Llobregat 14,9M

Trambaix 16,1M
Trambesòs 8,1M

The busiest station I think that is Catalunya
Aquarius no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2013, 03:01 PM   #235
metro-world

Barcelona line 9-10

Quote:
Originally Posted by gincan View Post
Neither in Santa Coloma nor in Badalona the bus is faster than the metro unless we talk about isolated cases. You better study the map of those two places, they are anything but faster by bus.

The depth of the metro doesn't make it harder to reach, the elevators take 20-25 seconds between the platform level and the ticket hall. It would in most cases be impossible to place the stations much closer to the ground level anyway, especially in Santa Coloma.

The line is when fully built projected to be the busiest in Barcelona, this is mainly because it will have no competition what so ever, neither from buses nor from cars, this since it shortcuts several otherwise complicated routes. Try driving or take a bus along the route L9 follow and you will understand.

Right now the line is unfinished and not very useful as it is, but once built things will change quite drastically.

Anything but a white elephant, it will either be the most or the second most important metro line in Barcelona when built. Right now though, it is a very expensive big black hole consuming a large chunk of the city's infrastructure budget. Inevitably delaying other projects.

One could say that the scope of project was to ambitious from the get go, especially the airport/port branches could have been handled/planned better.
# # # # #
1. Barcelona is not the city in Europe with the highest pop. densitiy - this is Paris!
2. line 9-10 will never reach such high ridership as lines 1 - 5!
it is a orbital line for peripherical connections - this is also needed but the ridership will be limited in the next 40 years!
I remember to saw a diagram - but don't found it yet.
3. the depth of the stations is not convinient to the riders and not usuable for shorter travels - takes too long to reach the platform area even escalators running. In other cities such deep subway construction were put out - and use only if no other nessessary. we don't loger need to build these strucutes as public atomic shelters! (as done in Madrid during the 60th)
4. a rail connection to Zona Franca is badly needed - a new insustrial area developed since the 70th. and for the airport most travellers will use the Cercania commuter service - and not line 9.
anoter missing link is the south-western extension of line 2 - higher priority as line 9 central - to make a connection / intersection of line 10 to Zona Franca
and the long delayed connection of the 2 separate Tram systems under Diagonal. The pliticans are unable to make a decission to build a Tunnel just under street to have a easy acces to central - as to put the money in line 9 project! Discussion - study - discussion - study - and every study needs funds - for what! the demand is clear!
But this situation is not only in Barcelona!

Ribarca liked this post
Old April 7th, 2013, 03:56 PM   #236
Aquarius
Nooo, ya no

Likes (Received): 44

New hall remodelation Virrei Amat station L5

image hosted on flickr

Noves escales mecàniques a Virrei Amat / M.Á. Cuartero por TMB Flickr, en Flickr

image hosted on flickr

Estació adaptada a persones amb mobilitat reduida / M.Á. Cuartero por TMB Flickr, en Flickr

image hosted on flickr

Nou vestíbul de Virrei Amat (L5) / M.Á. Cuartero por TMB Flickr, en Flickr

Aquarius no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2013, 06:57 PM   #237
gincan
Gincan

Likes (Received): 183

Quote:
# # # # #
1. Barcelona is not the city in Europe with the highest pop. densitiy - this is Paris!
Barcelona is indeed more densly populated than Paris, however Paris is a much larger city so it make no sense comparing them.

Quote:
Projected passenger numbers are between 120 and 140 million passengers per year. It will definitely be over 100 million. Remember, this line connect several previously unconnected areas in the city where you have to do complicated detours and stupid go around maneuvers, with both public and private transport. You should also not forget that this line will serve the main railway station in Barcelona.

Quote:
it is a orbital line for peripherical connections
That is what it looks like on a map, in reality though it cuts travel time between several points in the city otherwise hard to reach without complicated transport arrangements.

Quote:
3. the depth of the stations is not convinient to the riders and not usuable for shorter travels - takes too long to reach the platform area even escalators running. In other cities such deep subway construction were put out - and use only if no other nessessary. we don't loger need to build these strucutes as public atomic shelters! (as done in Madrid during the 60th)
The depth has little impact, the platforms are just as easy if not easier to reach as many other stations in Barcelona metro. And compared to systems in northern and eastern Europe, Stockholm, Helsinki, Prague, etc where stations are located 25-40 meters below ground and connected with long and slow escalators, the stations in Barcelona L9 are much easier to reach. Compare these two

Barcelona Fondo L9 -43 meters, less than 30 seconds between platform level and ticket hall, zero waiting time, elevators always at stand by at both ends.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bp-WbQY9o8s

Stockholm Västra skogen -44 meters 1 minute and 30 seconds + an additional 20 seconds escalator not seen in this video between platform level and ticket hall

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8zKXXxYXcTY

So to reach the platform at Fondo L9 it takes less than a minute from street level, compared to Västra skogen in Stockholm which at the same depth takes 2 and half minutes, 150% slower.

Last edited by gincan; April 7th, 2013 at 07:46 PM.
gincan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2013, 06:00 AM   #238
Sister Greed U

Quote:
This line will connect:

-the two terminals of the airport (don´t forget that it´s not just the tourists, 25,000 people work at the airport).
-El Prat, the last Barcelona suburb next to inner Barcelona to not be connected to the city by metro. Population over 60,000.
-El Prat Estació will provide a connection to Cercanías Renfe to the south, and this can mean many passengers changing here, be it from the airport or from other areas. It will be more important than you´d think.
-the Zona Franca, the main industrial estate in Barcelona city, containing Mercabarna, the main gross market (which distributes food to the rest of the city).
-the Fira, that is, the Exhibition Centre and Congress Hall.
-the new business area of Plaça Europa, served by Europa-Fira station, which has a connection to the Llobregat line of FGC, that is, a connection to the right bank of the Llobregat Valley suburbs, and further north to Manresa, Montserrat and Igualada. This connection will be very very important.
-a few stations at L´Hospitalet, the main suburb of Barcelona. Two of them (Torrassa and Collblanc) will offer a connection to lines L1 and L5 of the metro. These two connections are crucial. Torrassa is expected to be expanded as an interchange station with Cercanías Renfe some time in the future.

This is the part that is the most advanced.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

However:

The Zona Franca southern branch (L10) will provide:

-another interchange with the Llobregat line of FGC at Ildefons Cerdà, right there are the main Courts of Justice in town.
-connection to the metro network of the Zona Franca quarter, a high density quarter that is the last one in inner Barcelona to not have metro nor FGC.
-extensive connection to the Zona Franca industrial estate and the Port. Many people work there.

And then, beyond Collblanc, you find:

-connection to the Tram (T1, T2 and T3) at a station called... Camp Nou.
Do I need to say what the words "Camp Nou" mean, and the amount of people that overcrowd the area at least once a week, and in most cases twice? Besides, the rest of the day, the area hosts the south side of the Campus of the UPC university, as well as a cemetery.
-connection to L3 and tram lines T1, T2 and T3 at Zona Universitària, which is also a very important bus interchange, and L3 is projected to be extended further up till Esplugues (in suburban Barcelona). And last but not least, in the long term, a Cercanías Renfe line should have a station there. Right now, L3 between this point and Sants Estació is overcrowded at the peak hours.
-access to the north side of the campus of the UPC university (and other colleges in the area) at Campus Nord station.
-access to one of the main business areas of Barcelona (as well as some hospitals) at both Manuel Girona and Prat de la Riba stations.
-a crucial connection with the Vallès line of the FGC, perhaps the most crucial connection of the whole project. This station alone will see hordes of people every hour. Besides, Sarrià has some university colleges and secondary schools, and a few more hospitals.
-the same can be said for Mandri station, though it won´t have any connection. This station will be very busy at the exit of school lessons every day.
-connection with L7 of FGC at El Putxet.
-the second most crucial station on the line will be Lesseps, which will provide a connection to L3 to upper quarters that are very densely populated and in itself acts as both a radial and peripheral line in the area. This station will be extremely busy too, as much as Sarrià, if not more.
-connection to the Park Güell (one of the main Gaudí monuments) at both Travessera de Dalt and Sanllehy stations. The quarter itself is very densely populated.
-connection to one of the main hospitals (as well as one of the main Art Nouveau monuments in town), as well as a connection to L4, at Guinardó station. The quarter is very densely populated too.
-Plaça Maragall station, located in the area that is probably the most densely populated of the whole city.
-connection at Sagrera-Meridiana station to the existing part of lines L9 and L10, as well as to L1, L5 and in the future a very much needed extension of L4, not to talk of a connection to Cercanías Renfe.

The rest of the L9 and L10 is in use, and connects some of the most densely populated northern suburbs, and... it has one station left to be built: Sagrera Estació, the future main railway station in town. This is where you´ll get off the TGV from France and Switzerland in the future. The station is still under construction. The quarters around it are very densely populated.

If a line connecting all this should be a flop, then... which line shouldn´t???

Quote:
it is a orbital line for peripherical connections - this is also needed but the ridership will be limited in the next 40 years!
Don´t think so. And it´s not exacty an orbital line, it will go through Lesseps, and that´s just two stops away from Passeig de Gràcia and three stops away from Plaça Catalunya, the core of the city.

Quote:
anoter missing link is the south-western extension of line 2 - higher priority as line 9 central - to make a connection / intersection of line 10 to Zona Franca
This extension of L2 has been planned for ages, and in the long term, it should reach the airport through the same tunnel as L9. The problem is what´s in between the current end of L2 and the L9 tunnel to the airport: the Montjuïc hill, full of parks and museums, an arena and the Olympic stadium, but... not enough population to make it profitable in the short term.
Now THIS would be a line for tourists, a bit like line U55 in Berlin, though it would connect more areas. It´s not a coincidence that this project of L2 gets delayed once and again.

Quote:
Barcelona is indeed more densly populated than Paris, however Paris is a much larger city so it make no sense comparing them.
THIS

Quote:
Barcelona Fondo L9 -43 meters, less than 30 seconds between platform level and ticket hall, zero waiting time, elevators always at stand by at both ends.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bp-WbQY9o8s

Stockholm Västra skogen -44 meters 1 minute and 30 seconds + an additional 20 seconds escalator not seen in this video between platform level and ticket hall

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8zKXXxYXcTY

So to reach the platform at Fondo L9 it takes less than a minute from street level, compared to Västra skogen in Stockholm which at the same depth takes 2 and half minutes, 150% slower.
Although the stations with lifts are rather practical, it´s not always true that you´ll find a lift available whenever you are there. This had to be said. So it might take longer from ticket hall to platforms than what you say.

arctic_carlos, Highcliff liked this post

Last edited by 437.001; April 9th, 2013 at 09:23 PM.
Old April 9th, 2013, 09:17 PM   #239
Sister Greed U

Quote:
Projected passenger numbers are between 120 and 140 million passengers per year. It will definitely be over 100 million. Remember, this line connect several previously unconnected areas in the city where you have to do complicated detours and stupid go around maneuvers, with both public and private transport.
... and that also means an increase in the ridership of nearly all the other metro lines.

Some lines will particularly benefit from L9/L10 and its future connections.

-L3 between Lesseps and Trinitat Nova, and in particular the section between Lesseps and Vall d´Hebron.

-L5 between Vall d´Hebron and Horta.

-L4 between Guinardó and Trinitat Nova.

-L1 between Torrassa and Avinguda Carrilet.

-L1 between Torrassa and Espanya.

-L5 between Collblanc and Cornellà Centre.

-L5 between Collblanc and Sants Estació.

Last edited by 437.001; April 9th, 2013 at 09:25 PM.
Old April 10th, 2013, 02:03 PM   #240
metro-world

Barcelona line 9-10

Quote:
This line will connect:

-the two terminals of the airport (don´t forget that it´s not just the tourists, 25,000 people work at the airport).
-El Prat, the last Barcelona suburb next to inner Barcelona to not be connected to the city by metro. Population over 60,000.
-El Prat Estació will provide a connection to Cercanías Renfe to the south, and this can mean many passengers changing here, be it from the airport or from other areas. It will be more important than you´d think.
-the Zona Franca, the main industrial estate in Barcelona city, containing Mercabarna, the main gross market (which distributes food to the rest of the city).
-the Fira, that is, the Exhibition Centre and Congress Hall.
-the new business area of Plaça Europa, served by Europa-Fira station, which has a connection to the Llobregat line of FGC, that is, a connection to the right bank of the Llobregat Valley suburbs, and further north to Manresa, Montserrat and Igualada. This connection will be very very important.
-a few stations at L´Hospitalet, the main suburb of Barcelona. Two of them (Torrassa and Collblanc) will offer a connection to lines L1 and L5 of the metro. These two connections are crucial. Torrassa is expected to be expanded as an interchange station with Cercanías Renfe some time in the future.

This is the part that is the most advanced.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

However:

The Zona Franca southern branch (L10) will provide:

-another interchange with the Llobregat line of FGC at Ildefons Cerdà, right there are the main Courts of Justice in town.
-connection to the metro network of the Zona Franca quarter, a high density quarter that is the last one in inner Barcelona to not have metro nor FGC.
-extensive connection to the Zona Franca industrial estate and the Port. Many people work there.

And then, beyond Collblanc, you find:

-connection to the Tram (T1, T2 and T3) at a station called... Camp Nou.
Do I need to say what the words "Camp Nou" mean, and the amount of people that overcrowd the area at least once a week, and in most cases twice? Besides, the rest of the day, the area hosts the south side of the Campus of the UPC university, as well as a cemetery.
-connection to L3 and tram lines T1, T2 and T3 at Zona Universitària, which is also a very important bus interchange, and L3 is projected to be extended further up till Esplugues (in suburban Barcelona). And last but not least, in the long term, a Cercanías Renfe line should have a station there. Right now, L3 between this point and Sants Estació is overcrowded at the peak hours.
-access to the north side of the campus of the UPC university (and other colleges in the area) at Campus Nord station.
-access to one of the main business areas of Barcelona (as well as some hospitals) at both Manuel Girona and Prat de la Riba stations.
-a crucial connection with the Vallès line of the FGC, perhaps the most crucial connection of the whole project. This station alone will see hordes of people every hour. Besides, Sarrià has some university colleges and secondary schools, and a few more hospitals.
-the same can be said for Mandri station, though it won´t have any connection. This station will be very busy at the exit of school lessons every day.
-connection with L7 of FGC at El Putxet.
-the second most crucial station on the line will be Lesseps, which will provide a connection to L3 to upper quarters that are very densely populated and in itself acts as both a radial and peripheral line in the area. This station will be extremely busy too, as much as Sarrià, if not more.
-connection to the Park Güell (one of the main Gaudí monuments) at both Travessera de Dalt and Sanllehy stations. The quarter itself is very densely populated.
-connection to one of the main hospitals (as well as one of the main Art Nouveau monuments in town), as well as a connection to L4, at Guinardó station. The quarter is very densely populated too.
-Plaça Maragall station, located in the area that is probably the most densely populated of the whole city.
-connection at Sagrera-Meridiana station to the existing part of lines L9 and L10, as well as to L1, L5 and in the future a very much needed extension of L4, not to talk of a connection to Cercanías Renfe.

The rest of the L9 and L10 is in use, and connects some of the most densely populated northern suburbs, and... it has one station left to be built: Sagrera Estació, the future main railway station in town. This is where you´ll get off the TGV from France and Switzerland in the future. The station is still under construction. The quarters around it are very densely populated.

If a line connecting all this should be a flop, then... which line shouldn´t???

Don´t think so. And it´s not exacty an orbital line, it will go through Lesseps, and that´s just two stops away from Passeig de Gràcia and three stops away from Plaça Catalunya, the core of the city.

This extension of L2 has been planned for ages, and in the long term, it should reach the airport through the same tunnel as L9. The problem is what´s in between the current end of L2 and the L9 tunnel to the airport: the Montjuïc hill, full of parks and museums, an arena and the Olympic stadium, but... not enough population to make it profitable in the short term.
Now THIS would be a line for tourists, a bit like line U55 in Berlin, though it would connect more areas. It´s not a coincidence that this project of L2 gets delayed once and again.

THIS

Although the stations with lifts are rather practical, it´s not always true that you´ll find a lift available whenever you are there. This had to be said. So it might take longer from ticket hall to platforms than what you say.
# # # # #
I was going through my large archive materials and found a diagram of passenger transportations per lines planned incl. line 9/10.
it is definitively not the line with highest patronage! this remains line 1 and 5.
But the northern section up to Bon Pastor expects a high patronage more than line 3 and 4.
booth outside sections haves a limited patronage.

in view to the depth of the stations - we are talking only on this in plain areas and not hilly ones where the depth ist more because of topographicality - like Värsta Skogen or so.

Tags
barcelona, spain in the world