daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old May 7th, 2013, 01:37 PM   #261
XAN_
Registered User
 
XAN_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 4,034
Likes (Received): 760

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falubaz View Post
Several metros have low frequency in evenings. Does it mean they are metros during the day and turn into something else during the night?
No. "10 min. frequency" should be read as "10 min. frequency during rush hour"
__________________
"I'm lost but still I know//There is another world"
-H. Kürsch, 1995
"Well, we all know there's no other side"
-H. Kürsch, 2002
XAN_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 8th, 2013, 03:51 AM   #262
437.001
Sister Greed U
 
437.001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: on the road (Spain)
Posts: 32,007
Likes (Received): 15430

This.
__________________
&&& abcde PMR en Cat ImpTgn Cat2017
Everybody got a job to lose (A.E, Vision Thing, WEA, 1990)

Highcliff liked this post
437.001 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2013, 03:32 AM   #263
Jota
J
 
Jota's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: SC+ BCN+London+Donostia
Posts: 843
Likes (Received): 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by XAN_ View Post
No. "10 min. frequency" should be read as "10 min. frequency during rush hour"
In rush hour more trains, like one very 2-3 minutes!
__________________
El equilibrio es imposible...

Todo lo que pensé que nunca haría anda por ahí, está tan cerca que casi está dentro de mí...
Jota no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2013, 06:01 AM   #264
bmfarley
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 54
Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jota View Post
In rush hour more trains, like one very 2-3 minutes!
Speaking of which, what is the most frequently run Barcelona line? Individual line, or, set of tracks having multiple lines?

I have come to assume or learn that the best number of trains that a 2-track system can support is a train every 2.0 minutes. This assumes all other infrastructure is in place - traction power, ventilation, signaling, etc.

Anyone know otherwise?
bmfarley no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2013, 05:25 PM   #265
3i3
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 1,057
Likes (Received): 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmfarley View Post
Speaking of which, what is the most frequently run Barcelona line? Individual line, or, set of tracks having multiple lines?

I have come to assume or learn that the best number of trains that a 2-track system can support is a train every 2.0 minutes. This assumes all other infrastructure is in place - traction power, ventilation, signaling, etc.

Anyone know otherwise?
In a single metro line, you can find trains every 2'30" in line 5 at peak hours.
Or in Provença station (several metro lines of FGC), you can find trains every 2 min. at peak hours!
3i3 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2013, 04:19 PM   #266
bmfarley
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 54
Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3i3 View Post
In a single metro line, you can find trains every 2'30" in line 5 at peak hours.
Or in Provença station (several metro lines of FGC), you can find trains every 2 min. at peak hours!
Really good information! How many pairs/sets of tracks run through Provenca Station? 2, 4, or 6? And, those services running through Probenca that average 2.0 minute frequency, are they on the same set of tracks?
bmfarley no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2013, 03:35 PM   #267
_Night City Dream_
Registered User
 
_Night City Dream_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 19,163
Likes (Received): 101797

This doesn't sound extraordinary to me.
__________________
Big Cities is one of the major inventions by human beings

My Baku / Мой Баку / 我的巴库


Highcliff liked this post
_Night City Dream_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2013, 04:40 PM   #268
bmfarley
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 54
Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Night City Dream_ View Post
This doesn't sound extraordinary to me.
I guess it is relative.

I'm interested to learn what is the busiest set of tracks, for a 2 track arrangement, and in terms of train frequency. Not patronage.

Looks like L5 runs as frequently as every 2.5 minutes at peak times. Doesn't look like L5 shares tracks with any other line, though, other lines serve Provenca Station.

I read on wiki that a Tokyo line, the Manchouri Line, runs every 1:50 at peak times.
bmfarley no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2013, 07:32 PM   #269
_Night City Dream_
Registered User
 
_Night City Dream_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 19,163
Likes (Received): 101797

In Moscow we have less than 90 seconds during rush hour, and we have quite long trains (up to 155 m long), high acceleration, and it all works successfully. Trains stop at stations for only 20 seconds and delays are very rare. I guess it's even better than in Tokyo.

Very often be train "flies away" into the tunnel and in 20-30 seconds there come out the next one.

And, we have trains that run every 3-4 minutes even at 11 o'clock in the evening.

Lines are completely isolated from each other, there's only one exception, with a branch to Moscow city. Other lines have their own tracks which are not shared.
__________________
Big Cities is one of the major inventions by human beings

My Baku / Мой Баку / 我的巴库


Highcliff liked this post
_Night City Dream_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2013, 08:46 PM   #270
XAN_
Registered User
 
XAN_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 4,034
Likes (Received): 760

Actually, none of lines have less than 90 seconds of headway, that would require 40+ trains per hour, and currently some Moscow lines operate at 40 tph, some less...
__________________
"I'm lost but still I know//There is another world"
-H. Kürsch, 1995
"Well, we all know there's no other side"
-H. Kürsch, 2002
XAN_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2013, 09:21 PM   #271
_Night City Dream_
Registered User
 
_Night City Dream_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 19,163
Likes (Received): 101797

I often times see up to 7-8 trains with headways less than 90 seconds. But yes, officially it's right 90 seconds.
__________________
Big Cities is one of the major inventions by human beings

My Baku / Мой Баку / 我的巴库


Highcliff liked this post
_Night City Dream_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2013, 10:13 PM   #272
XAN_
Registered User
 
XAN_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 4,034
Likes (Received): 760

That only means that they were bunched somewhere (maybe due do delay of previous train).
And you can see it because the bottleneck is not the line itself (signalling may handle a bit more tph), but rather a reversing tracks that can't handle more than 42 tph, and that only in ideal case, in reality 40 tph is the practical maximum for 8-car trains.
So reversing tracks will "filter out" any headways shorter than 90 sec.
__________________
"I'm lost but still I know//There is another world"
-H. Kürsch, 1995
"Well, we all know there's no other side"
-H. Kürsch, 2002
XAN_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2013, 11:14 PM   #273
bmfarley
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 54
Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by XAN_ View Post
That only means that they were bunched somewhere (maybe due do delay of previous train).
And you can see it because the bottleneck is not the line itself (signalling may handle a bit more tph), but rather a reversing tracks that can't handle more than 42 tph, and that only in ideal case, in reality 40 tph is the practical maximum for 8-car trains.
So reversing tracks will "filter out" any headways shorter than 90 sec.
True. Train systems have a "Theoretical Headway", which would reflect the best and closest trains could operate. When a system has delays, that's when we see bunching and trains operating closely together.

Though, train systems do not schedule trains based on the "Theoretical". Doesn't make sense. Any delay would effect all trailing trains. Therefore, a more "Practical Headway" is scheduled. I understand for closed systems - no at grade crossings like Metros's and few junctions - the Practical is estimated at 80% of the Theoretical.

Coincidentally, 80% of 40TPH is 32TPH.
bmfarley no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2013, 12:44 PM   #274
arctic_carlos
Recondita armonia
 
arctic_carlos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Sitges - Barcelona
Posts: 4,731
Likes (Received): 3959

Provença station only has two pair of tracks. The section of FGC line between Plaça Catalunya and Gràcia stations is the busiest of the network, with 6 lines (L6, L7, S1, S2, S5 and S55). However not all of them run during rush hour, when L6 is just a shuttle between Sarrià and Reina Elisenda. There are works going on in Gràcia station that will enable L7 to operate as a shuttle between Gràcia and Avinguda Tibidabo, which will allow S1 and S2 to increase their frequencies.

We have to keep in mind that in the future S1 and S2 will be extended in Terrassa and Sabadell (in 2015-2016, but I don't trust official dates, politicians never say the truth about these projects). Therefore, their use will increase and it's important to have more services.
__________________
Wer kämpft, kann verlieren. Wer nicht kämpft, hat schon verloren.

Bertolt Brecht
arctic_carlos no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2013, 10:14 AM   #275
bmfarley
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 54
Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic_carlos View Post
Provença station only has two pair of tracks. The section of FGC line between Plaça Catalunya and Gràcia stations is the busiest of the network, with 6 lines (L6, L7, S1, S2, S5 and S55). However not all of them run during rush hour, when L6 is just a shuttle between Sarrià and Reina Elisenda. There are works going on in Gràcia station that will enable L7 to operate as a shuttle between Gràcia and Avinguda Tibidabo, which will allow S1 and S2 to increase their frequencies.

We have to keep in mind that in the future S1 and S2 will be extended in Terrassa and Sabadell (in 2015-2016, but I don't trust official dates, politicians never say the truth about these projects). Therefore, their use will increase and it's important to have more services.
A track diagram would really help. Are any available online for Provenca Station?
bmfarley no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2013, 03:28 PM   #276
gincan
Gincan
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 889
Likes (Received): 186

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmfarley View Post
A track diagram would really help. Are any available online for Provenca Station?
http://www.trenscat.com/metrovalles/linial7_ct.html
gincan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2013, 03:10 AM   #277
437.001
Sister Greed U
 
437.001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: on the road (Spain)
Posts: 32,007
Likes (Received): 15430

L1-Rocafort station.

Opened in 1926, it has an access from Gran Via/Rocafort and another one at Gran Via/Calabria.

It is said to be the Barcelona metro station with the highest suicide rate.



Wikipedia: Pere López
__________________
&&& abcde PMR en Cat ImpTgn Cat2017
Everybody got a job to lose (A.E, Vision Thing, WEA, 1990)

n20, Highcliff liked this post
437.001 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2013, 03:23 AM   #278
Silly_Walks
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 3,978
Likes (Received): 836

Quote:
Originally Posted by 437.001 View Post
L1-Rocafort station.

Opened in 1926, it has an access from Gran Via/Rocafort and another one at Gran Via/Calabria.

It is said to be the Barcelona metro station with the highest suicide rate.
Why not put in Platform Screen Doors?
__________________

n20 liked this post
Silly_Walks no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2013, 05:29 PM   #279
437.001
Sister Greed U
 
437.001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: on the road (Spain)
Posts: 32,007
Likes (Received): 15430

L3-Espanya station.
Platform for trains bound for Zona Universitària, looking toward Poble Sec.
Open since 1975.



Photo by Ymblanter @ Wikipedia
__________________
&&& abcde PMR en Cat ImpTgn Cat2017
Everybody got a job to lose (A.E, Vision Thing, WEA, 1990)

suburbicide, Highcliff liked this post
437.001 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2013, 07:23 PM   #280
Vaud
Registered User
 
Vaud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Canterbury\Genève
Posts: 841
Likes (Received): 1594

that one, L3 Espanya, needs a serious revamp: I remember the exit is on the one side, and the opposite side feels like the sahara desert at 3pm, why can't they build a simple hole to the street as ventilation there?
__________________
j' les trains
« Plus d'entrain pour la Suisse »
Visitez le Forum Suisse!
Vaud no está en línea   Reply With Quote


Reply

Tags
barcelona, spain in the world

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 07:40 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

tech management by Sysprosium