daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 5th, 2016, 03:16 PM   #861
Irene Grandi

Likes (Received): 22

I used the L9 from the airport the other day, its just useless, for me a person living in the city center of Barcelona, it took me almost an hour and half to get back home. From T1 to Collblanc and then from there to the center is another half hour.
Next time I am using the aerobus.

Fenix_2007 liked this post
Irene Grandi no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 5th, 2016, 03:28 PM   #862
kbbcn

Likes (Received): 61

I also tried L9S from the airport a few weeks ago. The plan was to get to Collblanc and then L5 into the city. By the time I got to El Prat Estacio I was so fed up with it (especially with the continuously repeated message in 3 languages about the direction of the train and the fact that it stops in all stations) that I switched to a Rodalies train from El Prat instead...

davroca5, Mitus liked this post

Last edited by kbbcn; May 5th, 2016 at 03:30 PM. Reason: grammar
kbbcn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2016, 02:54 AM   #863
Fenix_2007
Fenix_2007

Likes (Received): 16594

Next time I have to go to the airport, I hope its to T2 because then I can use Rodalies. If not, T1 can be reached by bus and that's better, no matter how much it costs.

I think there's no sense in such a long and annoying ride. And that "special fare"... I rather not go there. It makes no sense, at all, to me.

So please, if you come to Barcelona use Rodalies or bus or, if you have the money, take a taxi. That simple. No metro. Really not recommended if you want to get to downtown in under an hour.
Old May 6th, 2016, 06:33 PM   #864
Bitxofo
íViva el metro!

Location: Alderaan BCN BKK ATH PAR LON SYD SFO CPT TYO SCL CHC BUE SCG SVQ AGP BDN
Likes (Received): 3668

It depends on which terminal you arrive, at what time and where are you going...

If you arrive to T2, the train is quicker and cheaper, BUT there is ONLY one train every 30 min. The metro is leaving ever 7 minutes!

But, if you arrive to T1, the metro is the best option for El Prat, L'Hospitalet and the South of Barcelona city.

Also the airport metro can be the best option at peak hours of traffic!

For example, at peak hours:
-From T1 to Plaša Catalunya: 40-50 min. by metro. (It can be 1 hour by bus at peak hours!)

@Irene Grandi:
From Terminal 1 to city centre it is never 1 hour and a half by metro, at any case! I work at the airport and I do it every day in 40-50 min., from Aeroport T1 to Plaša Catalunya!
川添 Kawazoe (riverside) 海斗 Kaito (big dipper of the ocean), in Japanese.
Yo si la ciudad no tiene metro, como que no es gran ciudad y entonces ya paso de vivir allÝ. Norreport+12000
Bitxofo está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2016, 03:04 PM   #865
Robi_damian

Likes (Received): 9985

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbbcn View Post
I also tried L9S from the airport a few weeks ago. The plan was to get to Collblanc and then L5 into the city. By the time I got to El Prat Estacio I was so fed up with it (especially with the continuously repeated message in 3 languages about the direction of the train and the fact that it stops in all stations) that I switched to a Rodalies train from El Prat instead...
Hmm, well, it will presumably be better when the whole line opens and has direct services to a great part of the city? Or is the line just too slow? As for the messages, the one about "stopping at all stations" is overkill, especially as I think Barcelona Metro does not have express services anyway.

Also, are there plans to upgrade and improve the Cercanias train service to the other terminal and maybe make it more frequent? At the end of the day the Rodalies line will always be faster due to the smaller number of stations and very direct line...
Robi_damian está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2016, 07:22 PM   #866
Bitxofo
íViva el metro!

Location: Alderaan BCN BKK ATH PAR LON SYD SFO CPT TYO SCL CHC BUE SCG SVQ AGP BDN

For everybody:
Today I took the metro in Urquinaona station (city centre) at 13:05 and I arrived to Aeroport T1 at 13:50.
45 minutes in total.
Not bad!

I take it daily from city centre to Airport.
Some days it takes 40 min., some days 45 min., some days 50 min., depending on the transfer at Torrassa station!
Yo si la ciudad no tiene metro, como que no es gran ciudad y entonces ya paso de vivir allÝ. Norreport+12000

arctic_carlos, bigcoaster, davroca5 liked this post
Old May 7th, 2016, 08:02 PM   #867
arctic_carlos
Recondita armonia

Likes (Received): 3920

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robi_damian View Post
Also, are there plans to upgrade and improve the Cercanias train service to the other terminal and maybe make it more frequent? At the end of the day the Rodalies line will always be faster due to the smaller number of stations and very direct line...
Actually a new railway line to the Airport is being built right now. It will feature underground stations in both terminals. Here you can see a map of the project:

Source: http://www.pemb.cat/es/proyectos-est...onael_prat/71/

Bertolt Brecht
arctic_carlos no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2016, 11:40 PM   #868
bigcoaster

Likes (Received): 973

For everyone saying L9sud it's useless and slow. Hold on until you try it, please, you are giving the wrong image. L9 it's the fastest metro line in the city, with a 37km/h comercial speed.

From T1 or T2 to Plaša Catalunya (Barcelona city centre) it's 40-50 minutes by metro.
bigcoaster no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2016, 12:01 AM   #869
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21239

Why does it have this serpentine alignment instead of a more direct triangular one?

Zamor95 liked this post
Suburbanist está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2016, 02:26 AM   #870
Irene Grandi

Likes (Received): 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitxofo View Post
It depends on which terminal you arrive, at what time and where are you going...

If you arrive to T2, the train is quicker and cheaper, BUT there is ONLY one train every 30 min. The metro is leaving ever 7 minutes!

But, if you arrive to T1, the metro is the best option for El Prat, L'Hospitalet and the South of Barcelona city.

Also the airport metro can be the best option at peak hours of traffic!

For example, at peak hours:
-From T1 to Plaša Catalunya: 40-50 min. by metro. (It can be 1 hour by bus at peak hours!)

@Irene Grandi:
From Terminal 1 to city centre it is never 1 hour and a half by metro, at any case! I work at the airport and I do it every day in 40-50 min., from Aeroport T1 to Plaša Catalunya!
I live in Sant Pau/Dos de maig, so best case scenario if you get all the connections on time is 75 minutes.
Someone mentioned this, the fact that the metro repeats that it stops in all stations in all stations in 3 languages is annoying as well.
Irene Grandi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2016, 05:03 AM   #871
gincan
Gincan

Likes (Received): 183

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
Why does it have this serpentine alignment instead of a more direct triangular one?
They over emphasized on the connections, trying to squeeze as many as possible into the line, making it clunky, convoluted and uncompetitive against any other form of transport, bicycle included

The line has some advantages for some isolated cases but mostly it is just to slow to be competitive, it is faster to use the bus in many cases which of cause defeats its purpose.

They should have either bypassed El Prat entirely or covered the fair grounds with L10. They spent billions tunneling the airport branch and in the end no one will use it because it is so slow. The connection with L2 will probably not happen for another 30 years at least if ever.

kbbcn liked this post
gincan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2016, 07:16 AM   #872
Bitxofo
íViva el metro!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irene Grandi View Post
I live in Sant Pau/Dos de maig, so best case scenario if you get all the connections on time is 75 minutes.
Someone mentioned this, the fact that the metro repeats that it stops in all stations in all stations in 3 languages is annoying as well.
From Aeroport T1 to Sant Pau / Dos de Maig, with 1 change in Collblanc, it takes 55-60 minutes by metro. I did it too!

Here you have a map with all the timings:
http://www.transportpublic.org/image...planol-ptp.pdf

bigcoaster liked this post
Old May 8th, 2016, 11:50 AM   #873
bigcoaster

Likes (Received): 973

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
Because L9sud is part of the hole L9 project, which is an orbital metro line that will bypass the centre of Barcelona, going through the Universtity Campus (Zona UniversitÓria), the high neighborhoods of Barcelona, which now only have FGC or buses and all the way to Sagrera, where it will continue as it does now L9nord. And the turn in El Prat is to serve more population as it only has one Rodalies stop and is a big city.

When L2 arrives to Parc LogÝsitic, from where it will share tracks with L9sud, it will be only 30 minutes from the Airport to the city centre. So building L9sud till the airport is also part of the L2 extension, making it more feasible in the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irene Grandi View Post
If you live in Sant Pau-Dos de Maig it is impossible to get that travel time. I guess that day was strike or there was FCB match and all the line was packed. If it wasn't one of these situation (when it is also strange to take that long), what you are saying just isn't the reality.

arctic_carlos liked this post
bigcoaster no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2016, 03:01 PM   #874
Sister Greed U

Likes (Received): 15410

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcoaster View Post
If you live in Sant Pau-Dos de Maig it is impossible to get that travel time. I guess that day was strike or there was FCB match and all the line was packed. If it wasn't one of these situation (when it is also strange to take that long), what you are saying just isn't the reality.
That might as well be plain trolling.
Old May 9th, 2016, 04:29 PM   #875
Bitxofo
íViva el metro!

It could be...

Today I did a longer distance in 59 minutes:
From SANT MARTÝ to AEROPORT T1, with 2 changes: at CLOT and TORRASSA.

59 minutes is not bad!

And when I arrived to AEROPORT T1 at 13:36, my train was carrying 100 passengers. Not bad!
Old May 12th, 2016, 05:04 PM   #876
Bitxofo
íViva el metro!

More:
Today Thursday I did a longer distance in 60 minutes:
From HORTA to AEROPORT T1, with 1 change at COLLBLANC station.
It is about 30 km. in only 60 min.

It is very good!

arctic_carlos liked this post
Old May 12th, 2016, 06:10 PM   #877
kbbcn

Likes (Received): 61

Bitxofo is trying very hard to sell us the new metro line...

Actually, I think that from Horta (or most stations of the blue line, L5) it really does make sense to use the L9S. Looking at a map you can see that it's almost a direct route.

Personally, with Lesseps being my "home" station, it might become useful once the complete line is finished (even that by that time I will probably be retired and will have stopped travelling for work. I'm not 20 anymore... ). And as said earlier, I considered doing L9S > L5 > L3 to get home, but gave up after a few stations.

Bitxofo, you work at the airport, correct? So you should also keep in mind that for most of us using that line is more expensive than for you.
kbbcn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2016, 02:08 PM   #878
TrueBulgarian
Meditate on this, I will

Likes (Received): 2360

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbbcn View Post
Bitxofo is trying very hard to sell us the new metro line...

Actually, I think that from Horta (or most stations of the blue line, L5) it really does make sense to use the L9S. Looking at a map you can see that it's almost a direct route.

Bitxofo, you work at the airport, correct? So you should also keep in mind that for most of us using that line is more expensive than for you.
It really depends what Terminal you want to get to. If it's Terminal 2, the Rodalies train is pretty much always faster from Northern/Central Barcelona, including from Horta. It's also much cheaper, as you can used the T-10 ticket, for example. The downside being that the Rodalies train has a very low frequency, 2 trains per hour...

If it's Terminal 1, then the L9S might be faster but it depends on the exact location and time of day: sometimes it might be faster to use the Aerobus.
TrueBulgarian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2016, 01:25 PM   #879
davroca5
Subwayer

Likes (Received): 3828

First Class 2000 refurbished

http://imgur.com/bnUhuZ0
http://imgur.com/1Esgwls
http://imgur.com/yR8b8fZ
http://imgur.com/H2htCNE
http://imgur.com/kjjmHsE
http://imgur.com/kpp9X5O
http://imgur.com/xFI8uuD

Comparison:

El twitter de davroca5
davroca5 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2016, 01:22 PM   #880
arctic_carlos
Recondita armonia

Likes (Received): 3920

Some news:

FGC network:

Apparently Barcelona will get a new metro line! Well, I'm sorry to let you down, but it's just that L6 will be split into two different lines once upgrade works at SarriÓ station are completed. L6 will be limited to Plaša Catalunya - SarriÓ, while new L12 will be established between SarriÓ and Reina Elisenda (yes, a one-station shuttle service).

Why? Because platforms at SarriÓ are to be widened in order to install lifts and as a result one of the four tracks of the station will have to disappear in order to create the necessary extra space. Leaving the station with just 3 tracks, it could still be perfectly possible to run Plaša Catalunya - Reina Elisenda L6 services, but surprisingly the westernmost track of the station (where the Reina Elisenda branch starts) will only be linked to the southbound mainline track. Therefore, it won't be possible to run direct services between Plaša Catalunya and Reina Elisenda (while it could still be possible in the opposite way). In any case, the change won't take place until later this year or early next year.

TMB network:

Unfortunately, only two stations of L10 sud branch off L9 sud will be opened next year (Foneria and Foc-Cisell). The official reason is that only the city of Barcelona is advancing the necessary funds to the Catalan regional government to complete the works. Conversely, the neighboring city of L'Hospitalet de Llobregat is not willing to pay for the two stations that are located within its boundaries (Provenšana and Ildefons CerdÓ).

As a consequence, the interchange between L10 sud and FGC L8 in Ildefons CerdÓ station won't be opened in the first phase, and we'll have to wait until the regional government can fund the construction of the remaining stations by itself. This issue is somehow ridiculous, as both Barcelona and L'Hospitalet de Llobregat are part of a bigger metropolitan area and municipal borders shouldn't be a key factor when dealing with mobility projects.

Bertolt Brecht
arctic_carlos no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
barcelona, spain in the world