daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 12th, 2016, 12:41 AM   #901
arctic_carlos
Recondita armonia

Likes (Received): 3945

It's too early too talk about L10 sud frequencies, but it seems this new branch won't affect the frequencies of L9 sud, as currently there's a L9 train to the airport every 7 minutes, which leaves plenty of room for additional services.

Once the whole L9/10 project is completed, there should be 6 minute frequencies on both branches, leaving the common stretch with a 3 minute frequency.

Bertolt Brecht

dimlys1994 liked this post
arctic_carlos no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 12th, 2016, 01:17 AM   #902
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

Likes (Received): 5761

OK, thanks very much for all the information, arctic_carlos.

arctic_carlos liked this post
Woonsocket54 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2016, 03:13 AM   #903
Sister Greed U

Likes (Received): 15423

Discovery of hot springs at Fondo station (L9 north).

Thermal water, at a temperature of up to 60ºC, has been discovered thanks to a leak in the metro tunnel.

It seems it's rather big (big enough for a spa), and spans the area between Santa Rosa and Església Major stations.

L9 north keeps on operating as usual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidVazGuijarro View Post

dimlys1994, Swede, Bitxofo liked this post
437.001 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2016, 03:15 AM   #904
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21244

Are there any numbers on what % of passengers and workers at BCN now use the subway, the Cercanías or drive to/from the airport?
Old December 8th, 2016, 05:51 PM   #905
Sister Greed U

Inner Barcelona uses public transport (metro, bus, tram) a lot, by Spanish standards.
Metropolitan Barcelona is much more enslaved by the car, its use of public transport (bus, tram, metro, commuter rail), even if it exists, is much lower.
Old December 8th, 2016, 06:05 PM   #906
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21244

Quote:
Originally Posted by 437.001 View Post

Inner Barcelona uses public transport (metro, bus, tram) a lot, by Spanish standards.
Metropolitan Barcelona is much more enslaved by the car, its use of public transport (bus, tram, metro, commuter rail), even if it exists, is much lower.
I used BCN as a reference to El Prat Airport, not to the city, sorry. I wanted to know if the new Linea 9-a/b changed things.

437.001 liked this post
Suburbanist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2016, 12:33 AM   #907
Sister Greed U

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
I used BCN as a reference to El Prat Airport, not to the city, sorry. I wanted to know if the new Linea 9-a/b changed things.
Then this is a question for Bitxofo. He knows that better than me.

Let's wait for him to read these few last posts.
Old December 9th, 2016, 02:43 AM   #908
Bitxofo
¡Viva el metro!

Location: Alderaan BCN BKK ATH PAR LON SYD SFO CPT TYO SCL CHC BUE SCG SVQ AGP BDN
Likes (Received): 3671

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
Metro L9 sud is mainly used by airport workers, because we do not pay the supplement of 4.50€ per trip. This is sure, I see it daily: always airport staff in every train!

Passengers still prefer Aerobús in Terminal 1 if they are going to city centre. In Terminal 2 they prefer the Rodalies train, for the city centre.
But, passengers of Terminal 1 who are not going to city centre, they prefer to take the metro!

In Terminal 2 the metro is not very used. People prefer the train or the bus 46.

We have got 1 Tourist Office inside the metro station Aeroport T1 and another one in the metro station Aeroport T2.
The 1st one is always full of people.
The 2nd one has reduced opening hours because it was not very busy...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 437.001 View Post
Then this is a question for Bitxofo. He knows that better than me.

Let's wait for him to read these few last posts.
Thanks!

Remark: L9 sud is a very useful public transport for airport workers!
川添 Kawazoe (riverside) 海斗 Kaito (big dipper of the ocean), in Japanese.
Yo si la ciudad no tiene metro, como que no es gran ciudad y entonces ya paso de vivir allí. Norreport+12000

437.001, arctic_carlos liked this post
Bitxofo está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2016, 07:56 AM   #909
tunnel owl

Likes (Received): 440

For my stay in Barcelona in 2014 I asked a friend living there for Long time, how to get into the city (in my case near Urgell-station). He was really surprised about using the train as the airport-bus is the best way to get from the center to the airport. I hardly know any airport-service beeing this convenient. It´s cheap, runs very often and is reliable.
tunnel owl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2016, 02:48 PM   #910
Falubaz

Likes (Received): 2940

Where does the bus go to (i mean in town)? I never used it, always Rodalies.

₪₪₪Zielona Góra moim okiem₪₪₪ Zielonogórskie autobusy₪₪₪Port Lotniczy ZIElona Góra₪₪₪ BRT₪₪₪ścieżki rowerowe w ZG
₪₪₪[Świat] „Przebłyski pamięci”₪₪₪Moja Ameryka - nie tylko Stany
Falubaz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2016, 04:03 PM   #911
tunnel owl

Likes (Received): 440

It goes to Espanya via Gran Via and splits into a Loop via Gran Via and Sepulveda via Gran Via. Don´t remember if it even runs further east
tunnel owl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2016, 04:46 PM   #912
arctic_carlos
Recondita armonia

It has its terminus in Plaça Catalunya, but it also stops in Plaça Espanya (I don't know if it has any intermediate stops between both squares).

The Aerobús is a reliable means of transportation, but it's also affected by traffic jams, especially on the southern entrance of Barcelona (Gran Via) during morning and afternoon rush hours. At least between 7 and 9 am and between 5 and 8 pm the trip can be 10-15 minutes longer.

Bertolt Brecht
Old December 9th, 2016, 05:09 PM   #913
Ermengol Patalín
EP

Likes (Received): 3157

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic_carlos View Post
It has its terminus in Plaça Catalunya, but it also stops in Plaça Espanya (I don't know if it has any intermediate stops between both squares).
Between both squares it depends of the direction:

When you're going to Pl. Catalunya, there is two more stops, one in Gran Via - Urgell and the other in Pl. Universitat.

Direction to the Airport the stop is Sepúlveda-Urgell.

Ermengol Patalín no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2016, 05:16 PM   #914
Bitxofo
¡Viva el metro!

Location: Alderaan BCN BKK ATH PAR LON SYD SFO CPT TYO SCL CHC BUE SCG SVQ AGP BDN

Quote:
Originally Posted by tunnel owl View Post
For my stay in Barcelona in 2014 I asked a friend living there for Long time, how to get into the city (in my case near Urgell-station). He was really surprised about using the train as the airport-bus is the best way to get from the center to the airport. I hardly know any airport-service beeing this convenient. It´s cheap, runs very often and is reliable.
Quote:

The Aerobús is a reliable means of transportation, but it's also affected by traffic jams, especially on the southern entrance of Barcelona (Gran Via) during morning and afternoon rush hours. At least between 7 and 9 am and between 5 and 8 pm the trip can be 10-15 minutes longer.
Aerobús is convenient ONLY if you are going to Espanya, Urgell, Universitat or Catalunya!
And ONLY out of rush hours of traffic!

Anyway, the Aerobús is not convenient for airport workers because it is very expensive: 5.90€ every single trip...

The metro is the best solution for airport staff because we do NOT pay any supplement!!
Yo si la ciudad no tiene metro, como que no es gran ciudad y entonces ya paso de vivir allí. Norreport+12000

Last edited by Bitxofo; December 9th, 2016 at 05:27 PM.
Old December 11th, 2016, 10:10 PM   #915
metr0p0litain

Likes (Received): 271

The announcements in the trains of L9 Sud are spoken in three languages (Catalan, Spanish and English) and in my opinion, they are really annoying! Especially the announcement of the direction of the train after every station and the information that the train stops "at all stations"... Why shouldn't it? What will happen to the announcements, when L9 is complete? Will the whole line get this annoying scheme of announcements?
Old December 11th, 2016, 10:27 PM   #916
arctic_carlos
Recondita armonia

Also locals complain about that.

Given that all trains stop "at all stations", there's actually no need to provide that information to passengers.

The information of the direction of the train will be necessary in the short term, though, when L10 sud opens and the trains from both lines start sharing tracks between Can Tries Gornal and Collblanc station. But currently there's no need for it.

Bertolt Brecht

metr0p0litain liked this post
Old December 12th, 2016, 06:28 PM   #917
Farro

Likes (Received): 184

Quote:
Originally Posted by metr0p0litain View Post
Especially the announcement of the direction of the train after every station and the information that the train stops "at all stations"... Why shouldn't it?
Well, the FGC subway network has lines that do not stop in all stations and do not go to the same destination (tourists maybe don't read the line name written on the train indicators). Also some subway networks have multiple branches for a line like Frankfurt, Berlin, Paris, Shanghai, Beijing (the Airport line)... So for a tourist that maybe knows zero about Barcelona (the business ones usually) and is worried about being in the wrong branch train this is a good idea.

The only thing that I would change is removing the "Next station/Propera aturada/Próxima estación". By doing something simple like Tokyo subway (just repeating twice the next station name and then adding later all the stuff for tourists in english only and only if the next station is for the airport or something).
Farro no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2016, 09:04 PM   #918
Bitxofo
¡Viva el metro!

The announcement: "this train is stopping at all stations" is not needed because ALL trains stop at all stations!!

Please, make a complaint here:
https://www.tmb.cat/es/atencion-al-c...es-sugerencias

I did it!

metr0p0litain, kbbcn, arctic_carlos liked this post
Old December 12th, 2016, 10:56 PM   #919
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

Likes (Received): 5761

Who are these subway passengers listening to announcements? They pretty much all have headphones.
Woonsocket54 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2016, 11:39 PM   #920
metr0p0litain

Likes (Received): 271

Quote:
The information of the direction of the train will be necessary in the short term, though, when L10 sud opens and the trains from both lines start sharing tracks between Can Tries Gornal and Collblanc station. But currently there's no need for it.
Ok, but what about L9 and L10 in the north? They also share tracks between La Sagrera and Bon Pastor without that annoying announcements after every stop. The information about the direction of the train is given when the train arrives at the station and I think, this is enough information. When I'm on the train, I should know where it's going...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farro View Post
Well, the FGC subway network has lines that do not stop in all stations and do not go to the same destination (tourists maybe don't read the line name written on the train indicators). Also some subway networks have multiple branches for a line like Frankfurt, Berlin, Paris, Shanghai, Beijing (the Airport line)... So for a tourist that maybe knows zero about Barcelona (the business ones usually) and is worried about being in the wrong branch train this is a good idea.
Well, isn't it better to have only an announcements if the train does not stop at every station? In the case of L9 Sud, I will think that there are different train services like local and express. I'm a fan of reading signs and listening to announcements, but no one benefits from information that is not needed. When you are talking about tourists, how can they orientate on the other metro lines in the city?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitxofo View Post
The announcement: "this train is stopping at all stations" is not needed because ALL trains stop at all stations!!

Please, make a complaint here:
https://www.tmb.cat/es/atencion-al-c...es-sugerencias

I did it!
Thank you! I will do!

Bitxofo, kbbcn liked this post
metr0p0litain no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
barcelona, spain in the world