daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 10th, 2015, 01:49 AM   #121

Likes (Received): 44

In the latest edition of Community Impact (A free monthly paper delivered to everyone by mail that focuses primarily on local development and infrastructure news)
https://communityimpact.com/2015/12/...rail-planning/

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
14 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 10th, 2015, 04:04 AM   #122
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17034

Have there been any large scale TOD projects built along the metrorail ?
Visit the New Jersey Section

Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2015, 02:49 AM   #123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis View Post
Have there been any large scale TOD projects built along the metrorail ?
Going out from Downtown:

Saltillo Plaza
: Small mixed-use part completed, construction on larger project recently begun.

MLK Jr.
: Construction recently begun, not sure how large the project is.
Highland: Ongoing project to convert recently closed Highland Mall and surrounding parking lot into community college campus and TOD type development. First phase of college is open, construction recently began on second phase of development. There is some other property near the station that currently seems under-utilized.

Crestview
: A mixed-use apartment/retail development on one side of station with row houses behind that and single family behind that. Land on opposite side of station currently being considered for TOD and a park somewhere on the property. Property across Lamar Blvd currently underutilized suburban-style shopping center, but don't know of any plans being considered for it yet.

Kramer
: Some Mixed-use development in the area, more under construction. Still a lot of old industrial buildings near the station, not sure how many have plans for redevelopment.

Howard
: Park and Ride. No plans that I'm aware of for TOD, but a very large empty field on one side of the station that may be intended for that purpose at some point in the future.

Lakeline
: Park and Ride, but some apartment buildings have been built adjacent to it. Lots of land around for future development, hopefully it will be managed properly.

Leander
: Park and Ride. Plans have been drawn up for TOD, but the pace of pursuing them does not seem rapid.

Also, an update on the Downtown station upgrades:
http://keyetv.com/news/local/downtow...for-an-upgrade
Hopefully the design of the station will not preclude eventually extending the line to the west side of downtown.

dimlys1994, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Old December 29th, 2015, 03:26 AM   #124

Here are some photos I took the other day of the development around the stations. I wasn't able to make it out to the Leander station, but perhaps I'll get a chance soon, and be able to add to this post.

Plaza Saltillo:

Construction on development east of station

Camera apparently focused on train window, but a TOD development with storefronts along a walkway paralleling the tracks on the block east of the station

Track relocation under construction west of station to make room for TOD

MLK:

Highland:

Part of old mall converted to community college, plans for mixed-use development of rest of building and parking lots

construction on next stage of redevelopment

Industrial buildings near station (potential for future redevelopment?)

Crestview:

TOD development at station

Townhomes near station, and construction on more

Industrial space on opposite side of station. Being discussed for redevelopment as TOD/parkland

Kramer:

Example of apartments being built near station, as viewed from inside train

Most of the area near the station is currently industrial, like this

Howard:

Station and park and ride

Empty field on opposite side of station

Lakeline:

Housing development near station

Park and ride

Station
Old December 30th, 2015, 03:21 AM   #125
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Very nice , but can you please resize the photos...

TM_Germany, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Old January 5th, 2016, 05:01 AM   #126
Nexis
Dark Wolf

APTA Q3 2015 Ridership numbers for Austin

Commuter Rail
Austin / Capmetro - 2,900 (2015) : 10.49%+
Bus Ridership
Austin / Capmetro - 96,000 (2015) : -12.10%

Old January 16th, 2016, 06:36 AM   #127

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis View Post
APTA Q3 2015 Ridership numbers for Austin

Commuter Rail
Austin / Capmetro - 2,900 (2015) : 10.49%+
Bus Ridership
Austin / Capmetro - 96,000 (2015) : -12.10%
It's good to see that people are starting to ride the train, but in order for ridership to increase much more they need to increase capacity (some peak hour and holiday trains run out of standing room) and expand hours of operation, as the train serves multiple downtown entertainment districts and would be packed (and has been on the holidays where it runs until 2:30 am), not to mention provide the safest and most responsible way to get to and from 6th/Rainey Streets.

As for the bus, CapMetro has cut frequency in the last couple of years on some of the most ridden routes. They increased the frequency of a few others, but that does not make up for cutting the most ridden routes serving the largest populations. CapMetro's UT shuttle have also been cut drastically in recent years. When I was a student ~5 years ago, buses running at 5-10 minute frequencies were often packed at peak hours (If you weren't at the first few stops during the peaks of the peak hours there wasn't room to board), but now those routes run at no better than 20 minute peak frequency, and some of them at 35 or 40 minute peak frequency. What was a widely used service that, if anything, needed to be expanded has been rendered effectively useless.

ChuckScraperMiami#1, Klausenburg liked this post
Old January 24th, 2016, 05:22 AM   #128

A couple of recent articles about the dubious state of trying to build light rail in the nation's 11th largest city:
http://www.bizjournals.com/austin/ne...k-transit.html
http://www.austinmonitor.com/stories/2016/01/29617/
Old January 27th, 2016, 06:01 AM   #129

Well, looks like we'll have to wait three years for anything to even be considered :
http://www.austinmonitor.com/stories...orridor-study/

mrsmartman, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Old January 27th, 2016, 06:28 AM   #130
mrsmartman

Likes (Received): 1452

If I had a car, I would propose to keep Austin public-transport-free.

mrsmartman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2016, 06:36 AM   #131

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsmartman View Post
If I had a car, I would propose to keep Austin public-transport-free.
Yeah, because it just gets easier every day to drive around this town...

Old February 4th, 2016, 07:09 AM   #132

A proposal from an amateur that I found interesting:
http://imgur.com/a/gsa2n
Old February 15th, 2016, 10:09 PM   #133
ardamir

Likes (Received): 524

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14 View Post
It's good to see that people are starting to ride the train, but in order for ridership to increase much more they need to increase capacity (some peak hour and holiday trains run out of standing room) and expand hours of operation, as the train serves multiple downtown entertainment districts and would be packed (and has been on the holidays where it runs until 2:30 am), not to mention provide the safest and most responsible way to get to and from 6th/Rainey Streets.

As for the bus, CapMetro has cut frequency in the last couple of years on some of the most ridden routes. They increased the frequency of a few others, but that does not make up for cutting the most ridden routes serving the largest populations. CapMetro's UT shuttle have also been cut drastically in recent years. When I was a student ~5 years ago, buses running at 5-10 minute frequencies were often packed at peak hours (If you weren't at the first few stops during the peaks of the peak hours there wasn't room to board), but now those routes run at no better than 20 minute peak frequency, and some of them at 35 or 40 minute peak frequency. What was a widely used service that, if anything, needed to be expanded has been rendered effectively useless.
Isnt MetroRail getting four new trains next year? Its not a system expansion but it should help with overcrowding during the morning and evening commutes.

ardamir no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2016, 11:31 PM   #134

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardamir View Post
Isnt MetroRail getting four new trains next year? Its not a system expansion but it should help with overcrowding during the morning and evening commutes.
Yes they are. However, the main reason for peak frequencies only being 30 minutes is not the number of available trains, but a lack of double tracking. It only exists currently at the MLK station and Kramer station, so these are the only two places that oncoming trains can pass each other. However, there are plans to expand the double tracking in a way that would allow for roughly 15 minute intervals. They are also planning to improve some sections of track to increase the speed at which the trains can travel through certain curves and improve some crossings. construction has not begun on this project, but I was under the impression that it's scheduled to begin this year.

Even with these improvements, I think that the hours of service still need to be expanded. I would also hope that they can find a way to increase the straight line speed of the trains, as they are fairly slow for a commuter rail service. I think that would be beneficial to attracting additional ridership as the capacity expands.

Old April 2nd, 2016, 05:47 AM   #135
Nexis
Dark Wolf

4th Quarter 2015 Public Ridership numbers for Austin

Commuter Rail
Austin / Capmetro - 2,800 (2015) : -0.83%
Bus Ridership
Austin / Capmetro - 101,400 (2015) : -3.31%
Old May 5th, 2016, 07:31 PM   #136

Capital Metro is currently undergoing some improvements to the red line. Double tracking is being added at stations where it is currently absent, a permanent downtown station is being built, some track geometry is being improved to enable higher speeds, and four new rail cars have been ordered. The result of this is to double the frequency of the trains. Part of this is relocating the tracks between Plaza Saltillo and I-35 to the southern edge of the block and adding double tracking to this section. This will allow greater train frequency through this section, preparing it for the potential addition of the green line, and clear some space for development between the station and the interstate. Here are a couple of photos I took a couple of weeks ago of the progress:

Inside the train traveling on the new tracks just west of Plaza Saltillo, with removed old tracks in picture. The area between the tracks and the street in the background will be developed as TOD.

A little closer to I-35. You can see the double tracking in the foreground. This will extend from the new downtown station to the Plaza Saltillo station when complete.

Old May 5th, 2016, 07:38 PM   #137

The plan for TOD at Plaza Saltillo was approved in March. There is some controversy over the labor standards of the contractor that was chosen. Capital Metro has some information on the plans here: http://www.capmetro.org/plazasaltillo/

Old May 7th, 2016, 03:45 AM   #138

An update on the construction from a different view. Pictures were taken from the Waller Street crossing.

Plaza Saltillo station is just out of view behind the crossing in the background.

Looking towards downtown. The space to the left of the tracks between them and the road will become an extension of the Lance Armstrong Bikeway, which will extend to Plaza Saltillo at the completion of the project.

FM 2258, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Old May 7th, 2016, 06:17 AM   #139
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Doing you have renderings of the proposed Downtown Station?

Old May 7th, 2016, 07:43 AM   #140
zaphod
PRESIDENT OF SPACE

Likes (Received): 1673

Hopefully increasing frequency will improve ridership. Right now its terrible. I still don't think this service should have been started at all. They killed political will for serious light rail with this. Austin should have built a north south LRT with elevated and underground sections like 15 years ago.

\Also the landmark downtown stop is drawing criticism for justified reasons; its a lot of money to spend yet integration with bus routes is desired more. Spend the money to build tracks in the street a few more blocks to a better spot where they could create a kind of transit hub out of a section of street. Like the Rosa Parks station in Detroit. Which also looks damn good architecturally speaking, form follows function.

After I'm gone, your earth will be free to live out its miserable span of existence, as one of my satellites, and that's how it's going to be...

Bring me the continuum transfunctioner...

Last edited by zaphod; May 7th, 2016 at 07:52 AM.
zaphod no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
austin, texas