daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > North East England > Newcastle Metro Area

Newcastle Metro Area For Newcastle, N Tyneside, Gateshead, S Tyneside, South Northumberland

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 8th, 2010, 04:23 PM   #81
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Likes (Received): 611

These Front Page News Headlines were shown on here a few months ago, but as this week is (unbelievably) the 30 Year Anniversary of John Lennon's murder (http://channelhopping.onthebox.com/2...d-anniversary/) then I thought I would show them once again, this week . . .

Evening Chronicle - Tuesday December 9th 1980.

Then, a photo of Lennon with his killer, signing an autograph for him a few hours earlier, in the next days DAILY MAIL of 10th December 1980.

Newcastle Historian no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old December 18th, 2010, 03:11 PM   #82
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Evening Chronicle February 16th 1963 - the 1963 'Frozen North' Evening Chronicle Supplement.

After not having had serious winter weather to speak of in the Newcastle area since 1986, last winter was a big shock to most of us, as repeated cold and snow descended on the region for the first time in 23 years.

We had (over that 23 years) 'occasional reminders' of the existence of snow, though they were few and far between. I remember when we had some snow in the middle of this 'era', in 1999, and all the mothers with young children up to the age of 12 or 13 were so excited that their children had been able to build snowmen and so on, for the first time ever.

This winter, while it (yet) may not turn out to be like last year, it has all started SO incredibly early, with serious snow in November for the first time that I can ever remember.

Back in the 1960s, it is certain that 'bad winters' were more normal, and I particularly remember the long, long, winter of 1963.

It actually started at the very back end of 1962, to be precise on my bithday (24th December) as I was walking past St Georges Church at the top of Osborne Road. It looked lovely I thought, how nice for Christmas as big snowflakes started coming down . . .

What none of us knew then, was that we wouldn't see green grass again until Easter!!! The winter of 1963 - AMAZING!

A bit of a "contrast" with the snow - SOUTH PACIFIC, after its long run of 'separate performances' at The Queens Cinema, was finally released to normal cinemas, such as the Newcastle Odeon . .

Old December 18th, 2010, 05:44 PM   #83
Graham56
Antagonist

Likes (Received): 3

Yep, a winter of sledging, but for some reason school was never closed.
Graham56 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2010, 07:51 PM   #84
GBDT

Likes (Received): 128

I remember the 1963 winter. Having to walk through very deep snow ( i was only 9!) to Stanhope Street to collect the milk. The milkman couldn't get off the main road, so word went around and those who were mobile went out to collect theirs and neighbours deliveries. We put all of ours on a sledge and dragged it back home.

Cookson Street was at the end of our street so we had a ready made sledging slope. Spent many an hour or two going up and down the street. Oh happy days

Cheers
GBDT
GBDT no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2010, 04:58 PM   #85
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

ELEVEN years on . . . seems like longer!

I showed this a few months back, but I should have kept it for this coming weekend!!! Happy New Year everyone . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newcastle Historian View Post
The Evening Chronicle - Saturday January 1st 2000.

From the arrival of the Millennium Bridge, we now go back 11 months to . . .

Millennium Day itself : New Years Day 2000.

. . . and here is how THE JOURNAL had headlined it, earlier in the day . . .

Old January 23rd, 2011, 10:04 PM   #86
alf stone

Likes (Received): 116

Evening Chronicle 22nd. March 1988

I wonder how different things might have been had the Metro bosses succeeded in their coup.

I was puzzled as to why I kept this one until I realised that my dad's death notice was on the inside pages.
alf stone no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2011, 01:56 PM   #87
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

The Journal, Friday May 4th 1951.

China, and it's development, is in the news a lot these days. The news stories about it were a little different in 1951.

Interesting that the Journal (known to many as 'the Newcastle Journal') was actually using that full name at the top of it's front page, in 1951 . . .

Old January 31st, 2011, 04:28 PM   #88
WilfBurnsFan

Likes (Received): 56

"There were more crowds and cheers at Hartlepool and Sunderland..." How times change, and not always for the better.
WilfBurnsFan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2011, 01:18 AM   #89
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

The Evening Chronicle, Saturday May 21st 1927.

A lot of reading on this front page, back in 1927.

In those days it seems there were less of the "huge banner headlines" and more of the actual news itself, on the front page of the Chronicle . . .

If anyone wants any specific article from the above front page enlarged, that can be done!

Old February 16th, 2011, 12:24 PM   #90
Steve Ellwood

Likes (Received): 1115

Quote:
The Evening Chronicle, Saturday May 21st 1927.

A lot of reading on this front page, back in 1927.

In those days it seems there were less of the "huge banner headlines" and more of the actual news itself, on the front page of the Chronicle . .

If anyone wants any specific article from the above front page enlarged, that can be done!

50 hours flight time to India then and now is only 8 hours 40 mins

Would it be possible to have a closer look at the pieces on the Trawler and Coaster collision and the Drunk In Charge of a Car?

Steve Ellwood
www.steve-ellwood.org.uk
Steve Ellwood no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2011, 06:38 PM   #91
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ellwood View Post
50 hours flight time to India then and now is only 8 hours 40 mins

Would it be possible to have a closer look at the pieces on the Trawler and Coaster collision and the Drunk In Charge of a Car?

Steve,

As requested, hope these are the items?

Old March 20th, 2011, 02:50 PM   #92
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

The Evening Chronicle - Monday November 5th 1956.

I know it is for different reasons, but this newspaper headline is from 1956 and (in some ways) things do not seem to fundamentally change, as here we are still getting militarily involved in the Middle East (with the French again) as yesterdays action over Libya shows . . .

As ever, I am happy to do enlargements of particular articles from the above page, if requested!

Last edited by Newcastle Historian; March 20th, 2011 at 03:12 PM.
Old March 29th, 2011, 04:27 PM   #93
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

The Evening Chronicle - Wednesday July 14th 1993.

A quite unusual newspaper front page this one, as it is actually a 'front and back' page, opened out.

Someone reported on this forum recently, that they thought the Tyne Bridge was no longer being illuminated. That would be a real pity, but only as recently as 1993, a big thing was being made out of Kevin Keegan turning on the new-style 'computer-controlled' illuminations, just in time for the second visit to Newcastle of the 'Tall Ships Race' . . .

Old April 30th, 2011, 10:59 AM   #94
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

The Evening Chronicle - Monday August 11th 1980.

This was the very FIRST DAY that the Metro was opened for public use . . .

As ever, if anyone wants enlargements, for ease of reading, of any section of the above - happy to oblige!

Last edited by Newcastle Historian; April 30th, 2011 at 04:55 PM.
Old April 30th, 2011, 03:30 PM   #95
WilfBurnsFan

Likes (Received): 56

Thanks NH - I'd be very interested to read the part of the report dealing with planned extensions.
WilfBurnsFan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2011, 04:20 PM   #96
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilfBurnsFan View Post
Thanks NH - I'd be very interested to read the part of the report dealing with planned extensions.

Hi Wilf,

These are 'just' readable, I think (I hope!)

Old May 1st, 2011, 04:35 PM   #97
battlefieldjohn
Idle waster.

Likes (Received): 75

Quote:
The Evening Chronicle - Monday August 11th 1980.

This was the very FIRST DAY that the Metro was opened for public use . . .

Very interested in the fares table, cheapest ticket was 8p.

Cheapest adult single is now £1.40!

Last edited by Newcastle Historian; May 3rd, 2011 at 01:02 AM.
battlefieldjohn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2011, 10:49 PM   #98
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Last year on this thread (on 20th July) I posted the below front page of the Journal . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newcastle Historian; July 20th 2010
The Journal - Monday July 21st 1969.

41 years ago tomorrow! I thought back then (we all did) that we would definitely have a fair few colonies on the Moon by now. What they would be doing I don't know - but they would be there . . .

Of course, it is now 42 years since that amazing day!

However, only the other day, while I was sorting through some old newspapers to 'file them away' I came across another copy of the Journal from 21st July 1969 (same 'paper number' - 38,298, etc) but when I actually associated the two copies together, I saw that their front pages were actually totally different!

Checking back, the one I used and posted on here last year was a "6 A.M. Special Edition", while the one I have just re-discovered is, I assume (I can't exactly remember from 42 years ago!!) the normal routine morning edition.

Anyway, here is the different front page from The Journal of Monday July 21st 1969 . . .

Remember, as always on this thread, if anyone would like an enlargement of a particular article from a front page, please just ask . . .
Old July 20th, 2011, 11:35 PM   #99
Steve Ellwood

Likes (Received): 1115

Quote:
Last year on this thread (on 20th July) I posted the below front page of the Journal . . .
Of course, it is now 42 years since that amazing day!

However, only the other day, while I was sorting through some old newspapers to 'file them away' I came across another copy of the Journal from 21st July 1969 (same 'paper number' - 38,298, etc) but when I actually associated the two copies together, I saw that their front pages were actually totally different!

Checking back, the one I used and posted on here last year was a "6 A.M. Special Edition", while the one I have just re-discovered is, I assume (I can't exactly remember from 42 years ago!!) the normal routine morning edition.

Anyway, here is the different front page from The Journal of Monday July 21st 1969 . . .

By contrast the Evening Chronicle for the very same day doesn't even devote any front page to photographs from the historical event. Presumably there were pictures inside but this is only part of a commemorative pack of 'important' front pages.

Difficult to scan the print and scale it to fit on the forum so I placed the on my site if folk want to take a look @
http://www.fototime.com/D5941CDF81ED18A/orig.jpg
http://www.fototime.com/BB4C4E81B48C5E2/orig.jpg

Steve Ellwood
www.steve-ellwood.org.uk

Last edited by Steve Ellwood; July 21st, 2011 at 12:12 AM.
Steve Ellwood no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2011, 02:23 PM   #100
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Higham Place builders unearth 1881 copy of The Journal
by Ruth Lawson, The Journal, December 28th 2011

EAGLE-EYED builders, Steve Archbold and Tony Courtney, who are renovating a historic property in Higham Place, Newcastle, have unearthed a 130-year-old edition of The Journal.

The builders, who are currently working on a large 19th Century building in Newcastle city centre, discovered a copy of the then titled Newcastle Daily Journal stuffed under the floorboards.

They have now donated the piece of newspaper history, dated Wednesday, October 5, 1881, and cost just one penny, to The Journal to be stored in our archives.

Father-of-three Tony, of Benton, North Tyneside, said: “We are renovating a student let and were taking up the floor right down to the bare bones and when I was sweeping I found little bits and pieces of newspaper then I just saw it between the floorboards.

“Whenever builders find an old newspapers we always read through them to see what was happening at the time but it’s usually from the 60s or 70s.”

Familiar places such as the Theatre Royal and Fenwick’s are featured hin the paper as well as adverts for holidays on the North Eastern Railways.

Steve, of Pelaw, Gateshead, says it’s not unusual to discover old newspapers stuffed within the inner workings of buildings but he has never come across anything this old before.

Read More - http://www.journallive.co.uk/north-e...#ixzz1hpb8vCDx

Tags
england, historic newcastle, historic north east eng, history, media, newcastle, newcastle media, newcastle upon tyne, north east media, united kingdom