daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > Africa > East Africa > Kenya > Projects, Construction and General Discussion > Nairobi Metro Region

Nairobi Metro Region Projects and construction in the Nairobi Metropolitan Region

Old April 2nd, 2010, 01:44 PM   #1
Kenguy

Likes (Received): 500

LANGATA | Galleria Mall | 2 fl | 50 stores | Complete

I tried to get info for this new mall being built in Karen near Brookhouse, at the junction of Langata and Ongata Rongai roads. Looks like it will be the largest mall in that part of the city going by the size.

hope someone can find more information about it.

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Last edited by UtopianSkyscraper; April 16th, 2010 at 06:49 PM. Reason: Title
Kenguy está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old April 2nd, 2010, 02:17 PM   #2
desert burner
real gooner

Likes (Received): 28

i was googling the whole today after nakumatt MD said they will be opening a supermarket in langata area by any chance can it be the largest mall in Nairobi from your observation?
desert burner no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2010, 03:32 AM   #3
Kenguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by desert burner View Post
i was googling the whole today after nakumatt MD said they will be opening a supermarket in langata area by any chance can it be the largest mall in Nairobi from your observation?
I think it will look like the Junction mall after completion though it looks bigger than the Junction. It definitely won't be the largest in Nairobi, I'm sure either Sarit or the Taj mall will take the title.

Didn't know Nakumatt were planning another store in Karen. Then again, this mall does smell of Nakumatt. I can bet it will be painted brown, just like all the other malls with Nakumatt as the anchor store.
Old April 5th, 2010, 10:29 AM   #4
desert burner
real gooner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenguy View Post
I think it will look like the Junction mall after completion though it looks bigger than the Junction. It definitely won't be the largest in Nairobi, I'm sure either Sarit or the Taj mall will take the title.

Didn't know Nakumatt were planning another store in Karen. Then again, this mall does smell of Nakumatt. I can bet it will be painted brown, just like all the other malls with Nakumatt as the anchor store.
great insight as usual
Old April 5th, 2010, 03:58 PM   #5
Kenguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by desert burner View Post
great insight as usual
Thanx for the compliment.

I was reading an article posted by KN in the mall picture gallery and they said that they will build a mall on Langata road. (article dated 2009). I always thought that they were refering to the T-mall which is also on Langata road but Im starting to see that maybe this is the mall they were talking about.

If it is, It will definitely be another Westgate. What with shops selling German cars and other international brands? Anyway, that's Karen for you. (Barbie land).
Old April 16th, 2010, 11:24 AM   #6
desert burner
real gooner

Galleria-the ultra modern shopping mall-update

Welcome
The upcoming Galleria shopping mall is an ultra modern shopping center which is being developed on 12 acres of land with the first phase having a built up area of over 17,000 square meters with a gross leasable area of 14,702 square meters and over 500 parking bays. It shall include a 7000 square meters supermarket as well as a balanced tenant mix of well renowned retail shops and service providers. The mall's over 50 carefully selected tenants will include shops that will provide General Merchandise, Food Services, Clothing and Accessories (for Men, Women and Children), Shoes, Home Appliances, Book Stores, Sporting Goods, Gifts/ Specialty shops, Jewelers, Pharmacy, Photo Studio, Personal Services, Financial Services, Hardware and Auto- motive services, Kids Entertainment as well as Medical Services.
This owner-managed shopping mall will also provide a very good working environment for tenants by creating a partnership to improve the businesses of both the owners and the tenants.

This state-of-the-art Shopping Mall will have ample parking for all the shoppers and tenants in a beautifully landscaped surface parking. The mall will provide a one-stop-shopping experience with ease; it will have elevators, backup generators, and its own bore hole.

Galleria is scheduled to open in August 2010.
The Galleria is strategically located along the junction between Magadi and Langata Roads. The shopping centre shall cater to the continuously growing residents of Karen and Langata as well as the residents of the greater Ongata Rongai and Ngong Areas. The population along Karen and Langata in 1999 was 25,882 (Republic of Kenya, January 2001. Population and Housing Census, Volume 1. Central Bureau of statistics (CBS) Ministry of finance and planning). The projected population growth cou-pled with the increased subdivision of land within Karen/Langata is expected to al-most double these numbers. The development of new housing by Nairobi's upcoming middle class along Magadi Road is another factor that adds to the population growth of this area.
This location is prime with several estates surrounding it and it is easily accessible from both Langata and Magadi roads. The space to be offered is secure, beautifully landscaped and convenient for your business.

The Galleria will give a unique opportunity to your company by offering a space which will ensure its
continuous growth and access to this grossly under-served area of Nairobi. Considering its prime location and together with our other tenants which shall include Nakumatt Holdings, Deacons Group, several restaurants and other retail outlets; The Galleria would offer your business a unique location to expand and provide high quality products and services in this market.
http://www.galleria.co.ke/Galleria.htm
Old April 16th, 2010, 11:25 AM   #7
desert burner
real gooner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenguy View Post

Didn't know Nakumatt were planning another store in Karen. Then again, this mall does smell of Nakumatt. I can bet it will be painted brown, just like all the other malls with Nakumatt as the anchor store
confirm now its in the galleria mall
Old April 16th, 2010, 02:54 PM   #8
Kenguy

Thanx DB. Now I guess SE9 has to be notified to change the thread title.
Old April 16th, 2010, 05:50 PM   #9
Kisumu Ndogo
美国: Rep KE

Looks great, any overall renders..
Old July 21st, 2010, 03:30 PM   #10
nairoberry

Likes (Received): 664

this thing is huge!!
nairoberry no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2010, 05:14 PM   #11
Abidrovia

Likes (Received): 13

Nairobi appears to have the best shopping and most [world class] Shopping Malls outside of the South African cities. (in Africa)
Abidrovia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2010, 08:36 PM   #12
ernestombayo7
Veteran

Likes (Received): 259

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abidrovia View Post
Nairobi appears to have the best shopping and most [world class] Shopping Malls outside of the South African cities. (in Africa)
Lets just say Sub Saharan africa,am sure morocco and Egypt have good malls.
ernestombayo7 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2010, 03:42 AM   #13
Kenguy

Update.

image hosted on flickr
Old September 20th, 2010, 10:22 AM   #14
MkateWaMayai
goes well with Clove Tea

Likes (Received): 0

this thing only has 2 levels but am surprised they didnt put escalators, its stairs and lifts
MkateWaMayai no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2010, 11:04 AM   #15
Kenguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MkateWaMayai View Post
this thing only has 2 levels but am surprised they didnt put escalators, its stairs and lifts
Have you been inside the building? The last time I saw it was a few weeks ago and they were painting the exterior. I highly doubt the interior work is finished unless they are working at supersonic speed.
Old September 28th, 2010, 10:02 PM   #16
MkateWaMayai
goes well with Clove Tea

yes I've been inside. They are behind schedule, as always. Lot of work still to be done, but should start opening from Dec. Nakumatt is supposed to move in November but that remains to be seen. Here's some pics

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr
Old September 29th, 2010, 08:19 AM   #17
ernestombayo7
Veteran

Likes (Received): 259

They are behind schedule coz they had announced an August opening and then pushed it to November.Though its coming up nicely.I hope they are thinking of having Cinema halls because there is no single mall along Langata Road all the way to Karen with a cinema complex.
ernestombayo7 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2010, 09:30 AM   #18
Kenguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernestombayo7 View Post
They are behind schedule coz they had announced an August opening and then pushed it to November.Though its coming up nicely.I hope they are thinking of having Cinema halls because there is no single mall along Langata Road all the way to Karen with a cinema complex.
Yeah. You guys have to go to the junction mall to watch movies. Though they made no mention of a cineplex among the tenants (odd considering the size of this mall.)
Old September 29th, 2010, 03:26 PM   #19
MkateWaMayai
goes well with Clove Tea

Nope, no cinemas in phase 1. Probably in phase 2. I think they want to understand the market there first, as its not straightforward. The mall is not in the heart of Karen, or Langata. Karen however is spreading out all over the place, slowly, and Langata has many new middle class estates. Ongata Rongai is also fast-growing. But all 3 are different income brackets. Personally I think people will welcome this mall, as the whole area is growing, as Nairobi expands outwards. It will also help visitors to Nairobi National Park, as right now, there are almost no decent food/drink options in the vicinity. Lets not even talk about Rangers!!
Old September 29th, 2010, 04:58 PM   #20
Kenguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MkateWaMayai View Post
Nope, no cinemas in phase 1. Probably in phase 2. I think they want to understand the market there first, as its not straightforward. The mall is not in the heart of Karen, or Langata. Karen however is spreading out all over the place, slowly, and Langata has many new middle class estates. Ongata Rongai is also fast-growing. But all 3 are different income brackets. Personally I think people will welcome this mall, as the whole area is growing, as Nairobi expands outwards. It will also help visitors to Nairobi National Park, as right now, there are almost no decent food/drink options in the vicinity. Lets not even talk about Rangers!!
So there is a phase 2? Is there space for that or will they have to tear down Brookhouse school. The mall is smack in the middle of a middle class/high income area whichever way you look at it. And as far as I know, thats the target group when it comes to setting up a cineplex. They should have considered getting one of the companies that run movie theatres to set up shop there.